Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
All human institutions, be they governments, universities, hospitals, corporations, whatever, seem to eventually grow to the point where the perpetuation of the organization becomes paramount; instead of the purpose for which the organization was founded to begin with. Our churches are no different, but that doesn't change the fact that Christ died for our sins and that we need to regularly join together as believers to give thanks for that and to learn more about Him. I suspect that many use the imperfection of church as an excuse to not attend. I don't care who you are, you are not going to learn as much about the Bible (and therefore about God/Christ) if you stay away. In a way, the Campfire is similar to a church. None here are perfect, all see things differently, but we are united by a common interest. We gather here on the Fire to exchange information and opinions, to learn from each other, and to encourage each other in our daily lives (except there is no one here worthy of worship). I have learned much more than I would have had I not started visiting here. Same with church. Don't expect to like everyone there and for everyone there to see things the way you do, and don't expect to be in complete agreement with everything you hear. Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Yep......

You would do well to lay aside your bible

And that is when I stopped reading.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not so great of contrast that any of Jesus' apostles saw fit to correct him. Indeed, they listened to him, judged his teachings, and determined they were in harmony with what Jesus taught.

You need to read Jesus a little closer. When asked why He spoke in parables He told them He speaks in parables so they don't understand and be converted. You need to repent and turn with an honest and open heart to THE Jesus of the Bible, not one of your imagination.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Steelhead, I'm not critizing here but am sometimes easily confused. Your comments seem to twist and turn when it comes to Christianity or Christians as if you are a schizophrenic on this subject due maybe to a very bad experience (?).

Here, you seem to acknowledge God and that you think he'd have us love one another while elsewhere you will respond to someone with ridicule, derision and then the finisher: a sarcastic "prayers sent."

A work in progress. Innate knowledge battling with the worldly man?

Remember, Ringman doesnt have a "lovable figure", either. smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/21/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
since all the heavy hitters are weighing in, might be time for a pinch hitter or two just to add a dollop of gravity.

god acting under and in his capacity of omneity can and will save anyone and everyone whom he chooses to save, no?

even if someone doesn't want to be saved, if god wants him/her to be saved, he'll find a way to pull the effort off in his favor.

omneity is such a concept that it almost allows for anything, as long as god's will is achieved. and his will shall almost certainly be achieved.

i guess this is where five-point, or at least three point calvinism raises its ugly little head, but to the denial of many who walk among us. the Elect???

Gus, you are delving into predestination (and Calvinism) -- interesting -- and a concept I believe is almost always confusing to the human mind. I'm sure God doesn't save someone who doesn't want to be saved which would be a contradiction of wills. He doesn't force anything on us but rather leaves us to our desires, lusts, and whatever other devious devices we may come up with. He will give the man or women who continually rejects him and accountability to him over to his unbelief until he might not ever to be able change his ways.

Our choices as free moral agents (like the angels) are completely on us. Where our free choices interface with God's choosing and sovereignty can be a difficult concept to understand.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Yep......

Why? Do you not believe that men can become Biblialators? It is a word I learned from Ken Howell.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Yep......
Never noticed anything about an immaculate conception where the Mother of God, her mother and on back thru the ages had to be sinless.

The Creator of the universe will not be harnessed verbatim to words written by men who were only getting a glimpse of Divinity and filling in the blanks with their imaginings. To this day it is all we are capable of.

You would do well to lay aside your bible and do as Peter suggested......... study YOUR conscience " as to a light shining in a dark place" and leave off counseling others.

You're doing a lot of adding to the Word there. The Catholics believe in the un-Biblical "immaculate conception. None of Apostle Paul's works today even hint of that.

Somehow along the way you have been deceived to think you conscience is better than God's Word. God tells us He sends a deluding influence on those who wish to believe a lie.

As far as Apostle Peter is concerned you are taking some major liberties. He says about the things Paul writes in 2 Peter 3:14-16:

"Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction."

We see Peter is including Paul's writing in Scripture.

I'm glad you bolded that part. It makes it obvious that it doesn't fit the rest of the passage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Not so great of contrast that any of Jesus' apostles saw fit to correct him. Indeed, they BTW listened to him, judged his teachings, and determined they were in harmony with what Jesus taught.

You need to read Jesus a little closer. When asked why He spoke in parables He told them He speaks in parables so they don't understand and be converted. You need to repent and turn with an honest and open heart to THE Jesus of the Bible, not one of your imagination.

To start with, the part you have quoted me on are not my words.... they are yours.

For all of you who worship the Bible rather than Jesus and who constantly warn me about " leaning on my own understanding," I offer this:

You are relying on your own understanding or on a concordance. If not, you need to be handling snakes, washing feet, and all the other things you ridicule others for.

And you should join a commune and kick out all of he non productive members who can't work.

It is only because of my Christ like aspirations that I don't post my preferred response........ kiss my ass.😊

Edited for correction.... it was Barry C who you quoted.

Last edited by curdog4570; 07/21/17.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yep......

Why? Do you not believe that men can become Biblialators? It is a word I learned from Ken Howell.

That's a new word for me. I suspect I know what you mean though. I've met those who could quote many scriptures and they did know the letter,but the Spirit escaped them completely.

The things you say about Paul however bother me very much. For me Paul is a beloved Apostle,second only to Jesus. He has made me understand everything that happened at the new birth and all Christ has given me. I can only hope that you have somehow misunderstood Paul. I like many of the things you say contrasted greatly with other things you say. The things I agree with you about give me hope that if you could only see Paul's teachings the same way I do you would feel the same way I feel about his ministry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Clark, I used to beli vet as you do about Paul. Then I considered the fruits of his teachings and compared his teachings to the words ascribed to Jesus. Most of the division we see in Christianity can be laid at the feet of Paul.

I consider him a well intentioned Jew who could not get his head around the simplicity of the Gospel.

We need a lot more Johns and fewer Paul's.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Friend Clark, I used to beli vet as you do about Paul. Then I considered the fruits of his teachings and compared his teachings to the words ascribed to Jesus. Most of the division we see in Christianity can be laid at the feet of Paul.

I consider him a well intentioned Jew who could not get his head around the simplicity of the Gospel.

We need a lot more Johns and fewer Paul's.

I like John too. For now we will just disagree,but I am still glad to be called friend.

My best to you my friend.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep......

No, I believe you to be in obvious error based on the false statements you made about the Apostle Paul and his relationship to the Roman Church centuries after his death. Paul believed that Jesus was born of a virgin but nowhere taught that Mary was to be worshiped as deity, was a perpetual virgin, never sinned, etc. You will not find support for any of that in Paul's writings. That came along later when the church was paganized after Constantine. Pagan goddess worship became Mary worship.

You will never find in any of Paul's writings the idea of a human priesthood. He taught that Jesus Christ is the great high priest of his church and it is to him we confess sins.

If you actually had read Paul, which I don't believe you have, you would know that pretty much everything that went on when Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire flew in the face of everything he stood for. He would not be very fond of what is going on today either IMO.

Our disagreement is not one of theology but simple easily verifiable fact.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did Paul teach Original Sin? That we are born sinful because of Adam and thus need a sinless Saviour?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes he did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These Christianity threads really tear me up. Brings out the thumpers and the hypocrites like bees to nectar. I've been here long enough to remember the Christ At The Campfire forum as well as the reason for it's demise. Most of those idiots if not all are still here.

Praise Gawd !!!!!

laugh laugh laugh

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

AMEN - AMEN - AMEN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did any of the other writers teach that? Did John the Baptist preach that? Did Jesus think that when He said:" Be ye perfect as I am perfect"?

Original Sin Doctrine leads directly to Immaculate Conception Doctrine thus Paul IS the author of that flawed teaching.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
These Christianity threads really tear me up. Brings out the thumpers and the hypocrites like bees to necta
laugh laugh laugh

They draw in the atheists in like manner which always amuses me as well. laugh

Have a blessed day!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One particular group was targeted ad nauseum.

Bring them bible quotes on, fellas .

Thump, thump, thump, thump,......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as you complete your penance you will no longer be required to open these threads.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,657
Posts18,533,947
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.