Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sixty years old at this writing.

Been doing the bicycle thing for four years now, took no time at all (6 months) to get to a point where I could easily ride across the Continent.

A year ago they opened a Gold's Gym along my morning bicycle commute route, joined, started lifting again after more thirty years away from it. Sonnuvab$tch..... I look in the mirror and I have muscles again with not all that much effort, and why TF weren't I doing this all along?

Latest discovery: Through my twenties I was a habitual distance runner, I would go out and knock off 10 or 15 miles at a time, easy. Got away from it about when I got into motorcycles, ain't hardly run around the block in thirty years. The other week at the gym I got on a treadmill in the movie room to watch a movie, put in 30 minutes shuffling along at 4.0 miles/hour. I had forgotten what it felt like to run any distance, felt great the rest of the day. Now I'm up to 30 minutes at 4.2. The long-term goal is an hour at 6.0, doesn't really matter how long it takes to get there. At which point the plan is to try real running again.

All of this if my knees hold up. Some encouraging news from Sports Medicine....

https://www.verywell.com/running-and-aging-knees-2223771

...a team of Stanford University School of Medicine researchers followed a group of older runners (with an average age of 59) for more than two decades to track their general health...... .....repeated x-rays on 45 senior runners and 53 controls conducted between 1984 and 2002.

Running subjects were clocking an average of 213 minutes a week, at the beginning of the study. That works out to about 30 minutes a day, though their runs were not necessarily daily. By the time of their last x-ray assessment, runners were logging about half of that (94 minutes a week).

After 18 years of investigation, the runners — now in their 70s — did not have more arthritis than the non-running control subjects, nor were the existing cases of arthritis any more serious in the runners when compared to adults who didn't run.

Gonna give it a try, see where it goes.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Keep it up, I'm doing something similar.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Run on your feet and your knees will last longer?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I ran for a while in my early 30's, biked some and did the gym routine. Got back into cycling in my late 40's and would ride 10mi. a day during the week and 25 on weekends with a goal of 1,000mi. a season. Now at age 67 I have had hip replacement so running is no longer possible so I started walking a mile every day and do 2-3 miles once or twice a week. Since starting this routine I have lost 60# and am within 10# of my goal weight.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was in the marine corps in my younger days and I'm seeing a lot of friends hitting their 50's that are having knee & hip replacements, I believe it's from all the running 25 years ago. I'm sticking to walking.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
or perhaps the thousands of jumping jacks, squat thrusts, etc. in boots as I recall.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it depends. I was an athlete in my younger days, but never a long distance runner. I've always done a lot of long distance walking, hiking, back packing etc. I read gas meters during college walking 15-20 miles many days. I took up running in my late 30's and surprised myself. Within a short time I was able to run up to 10 miles at a stretch. My wife and I used to bike a lot, 20-30 mile day trips were common and I've done 70 in a day before. At about age 48 I had a severe ankle sprain that prevented running for several months. I gained 20 lbs and by the time my ankle let me start running I had knee pain. I was just never able to get back into running

By age 55 my left knee started hurting too much to ignore and I had surgery. The meniscus was just worn out. Doc said it wasn't a traditional tear like they normally see, but more like it had been hit with a hammer until the middle section was just worn out and I was getting bone on bone contact. They removed a large section in the middle leaving a donut of cartilage around the edges and ground the bones down some to provide some clearance.

That was 4 years ago. After a short rehab I've had no further issues. I was advised not to run anymore. There is a good chance I'll eventually need knee replacement and the more high impact stuff I do will speed up the process. I'll be 60 in a few months and am still active. I helped load nearly 1000 bales of hay yesterday, I still hunt, hike, and walk a lot. To get my heart rate up I walk on steep hills, use an elliptical machine at the gym and ride a bike. But I don't run anymore unless something is chasing me.

On the other hand, I know lots of people my age or older that do still run. Why some are able to continue and others not I don't know.
'

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I believe you either can or can't. I am in the "can't" group. I ran all through my youth, HS, college and into my 20's . Was a soccer referee for about 12 years, working up to the highest level of amateur adult soccer available (two steps down from MLS and actually worked a few games for the womens pro league). That puts MILES on quickly. An average adult game has the center ref running about 9 miles, while the assistants on the touch lines cover 2-3 miles, but in short fast spurts with quick direction changes. Tough on the knees.

I've had 3 knee surgeries, the last to delay a replacement. My knees just can't handle it. Bone on bone and PAIN. Surgeon said run all you want, we'll just schedule annual surgeries right now. Ummm no. I ride bikes and hike!

Many people simply wear out the knees/hips by sheer to much weight. Dropping 5-10 pounds can make a HUGE difference.

Some people just have "sloppy" joints. My 25 year old son has achy knees, mine stink, my dad and grandfather have both had replacements. There is a genetic disease somewhere in my family (nephew has it bad) called Marfan's, one symptom is sloppy joints.

Sounds like you are in the "can" group. GREAT, keep staying in shape!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of my wife, and one of our son's former school teachers, Brent Weigner, just set a record by completing marathons in the most countries at age 67. He is a three-time cancer survivor. He has age related issues, and has slowed down, but he enjoys what he does. He and his wife are really nice people.

Runner's World

Channel 9 Denver

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have not run voluntarily since I was about 20. After another half century, I think I'm a habitual non-runner. In the winter, I walk on my treadmill a few times a week and in summer I walk the golf course twice a week. I also put in time in my pedal kayak, which is like riding a recumbent bike. That is the extent of my exercise. I adhere to what Neil Armstrong said when asked why he didn't exercise like the military astronauts. He said, "The human heart is good for a finite number of heartbeats. I am not wasting any of them by running."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I was in the marine corps in my younger days and I'm seeing a lot of friends hitting their 50's that are having knee & hip replacements, I believe it's from all the running 25 years ago. I'm sticking to walking.

Probably those 80lb packs didn't help any.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was in The Marines also. 10 years of running, duck walks, Up and down the hills of Korea, climbing off nets on ships, you name it. I'm 82 now and can barely walk. My knee's are shot. Part of which was from Cornfield hunting for Pheasants. If I were back in my 50's, I would treat my knees with the utmost of care. You will pay for it later if you don't want a knee replacement. Some Dr's wont do a replacement unless you are in otherwise excellent health. Find another exercise that doesn't pound the cartilage in your knees. The only thing that helps me now is Dr.. Smirnoff. At least it makes me sleep. I had to lose 25 lbs so I could climb a flight of stairs. You may hear of drugs like Instaflex, Condriton, Glucosimine, the gel injection system, etc, etc, but it's all hit and miss and mostly miss. Forget running. Not worth it.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a runner for over 35 years and finally had to stop about 2004 because of severe pain and swelling in one knee. I switched to mountain biking and that kept the weight off, but it was not as enjoyable as running. In 2010, I had the bad knee replaced. As soon as I could, I got back on the bike. After about a year (at age 68), I tried to start running again, but my old smooth gait was gone and the shock to my spine and neck was just too jarring. I talked with both my orthopedic surgeon and my primary care physician and both suggested that I stick with biking. I bought a rowing machine for bad weather days, but I ride the bike whenever possible.

I really miss running.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay off the hard surfaces when running.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was walking, but hips and knees didn't care for it.

Was given a very nice hybrid bike. Replaced the seat with something less proctological and started riding a few miles a day. No pain, and takes a third of the time. My neighborhood has a couple loops of private road, so traffic is almost nil.

Everbody's different, but looks like this is for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Why run if you don't have to?

I was avid runner in 90's. Run, run, run. Paying for it now. And also Marine in the late 70's early 80's. Now I often walk like Grandpaw McCoy!

Knees shot! Start while still in service. Hips now hurt. Back is shot. 3 hearneated discs. And my biggest hurt now is my shoulders for some reason. Keeps me up at night. Radiates up thru neck!!! I often dream of pain free day and a good nights sleep!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I started running in my early twenties because a cousin outwalked me on the mountain behind my house...I said never again and started. I am approaching 60 now and have run all this while but I break it up. Summers, I roller blade with a hockey stick and winters I run.My knees are fine and I never run in poor runners, as soon as I suspect a problem -I switch. I also buy premium runners and they are expensive.I live on the West slope of the Rockies and the winters are long and when all farm chores are done I get my cardio. Running isn't for everyone but exercise is essential outside of hunting season to hunt these great mountains.Cheers

Last edited by comerade; 07/21/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some are born to it. Some are not. Some hold up over the years and some, no matter what they do, do not. Some work at it lifelong. Some can't see the future even though it is there to see. Some have events along the path that puts the screws to them.

http://www.triathlete.com/2015/10/f...nder-looking-for-24th-kona-finish_123174

laissez les bons temps rouler
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Running on aging knees.

If you do it right there's a good chance your knees will get younger - use it or lose it. My advice: #1 - get good running shoes from someone that watches you run and replace them at 300 miles (or sooner). #2 - treadmills are tougher on you so use care. #3 - it can take months for tendons, ligaments, and especially bursae to get in running shape. Be patient and ice is your friend.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm pretty convinced that running is pretty inefficient exercise these days. Having said that, if you're going to do it, lose the weight BEFORE you run.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 59 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.