Print Thread
Hop To
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am seriously considering starting to make knives when I retire, about 3 years from now. What would be your suggestions for books I should start reading? What websites would you suggest I look at?

Just considering stock removal, no forging.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

GRF

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The first thing I would recommend is to find a local maker that you could spend some time with.

Second, make sure your retirement income can handle the financial drain for at least several years.
Besides materials, you will constantly be adding or upgrading equipment for a while. It can be a
long slippery slope you are about to step on.

There are a lot of good books out there. I would start by searching at knife and gun shows for some used books.
Knife books are a lot like the variety of ammunition loading manuals. You can learn from any given book, but
each book will have something covered that others don't. Read them cover to cover. The info in books will
probably have more meaning if you have spent a little time with a local makers.

There are probably a couple of us on the 'fire that have books laying around that we no longer use.
I will take a look.

Good luck.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the advice!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I went to my pile of reading materials and looks like I loaned out some knife making books.
Don't remember to who, so no help here.
If you go to Jantz, Sheffield, Texas Knifemakers, etc they will have a host of books on knife
making listed for sale.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As you have access to a computer, Youtube is an excellent resource.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wayne Goddard's knife making books are good.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bttt

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why don't you get your feet wet by assembling a few from kits? I suggest doing a hidden tang. You could buy all the materials for less than $100 and it would be a good way to see how well you like it.

I bet if you check around Bladeforums, iforgeiron, and anvilfire forums you can also find a maker close to you. I also suggest that you use those resources to attend a forging class close to you. You might find that you enjoy playing with fire more than stock removal,I do.

Basically,I would try to visit and talk to as many makers as possible. For me,it's an OK hobby, but I wouldn't spend thousands on equipment expecting to be making big $$$. You might find some good resources by hanging around some makers too. A good grinder is going to cost you $2K but I bought a used Bader II from a maker for $200 that will serve my hobby needs just fine. Another example is that you could spend $1000 on a forge,assuming you wanted to forge, but you can make something for $20-$200 that will serve.

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
RH: great advice. Only thinking about a hobby not making money.

Thanks GRF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked Knifemaking w/ Bob Loveless by Durwood Hollis a couple of years ago at Barnes and Noble in the US. Chapters might be able to bring in a copy for you. ISBN: 13: 978-1-4402-1155-3 Lots of interesting details in it. Seems to be a good starting point.
If you PM me your mailing address, I'll copy a small booklet that I picked at an American Bladesmith Society Hammer In I went to a while back that has some good stuff in it.
I have been kicking around the idea of making knives as well.
Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.