-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, quite a bit of dramatic license. I agree about the first main character getting out of more tight spots than ten lucky cats. For a two hour movie there was really little dialogue; mostly visual drama. And the flotilla of civy boats shown in the rescue was hardly sufficient for moving more than a couple hundred soldiers.

And the pilot -- ditching at sea with friendlies all around sure seemed the better option than the beach landing and though just a private pilot, I wondered if if keeping the gear up and going in on the planes belly in that sand would have been much safer. Unless of course it was exceedingly hard packed which he couldn't have known.

Much less bloodshed than SPR or BOB and some others, but still not a relaxing movie at least for me as it brought home the horror with which some shoulders died particularly trapped in a sinking ship's hold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It was my impression that he managed to stay airborne long enough for the whole 350,000 of them to be evacuated - and also long enough for him to shoot down one last Stuka while gliding - despite passing over all those troops at under 1,000 feet.

Yep; thought he was long gone and down before he came back into view and shot down one more fighter before a dead stick landing even later.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, those Spitfires were really badass fighters....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yeah, quite a bit of dramatic license. I agree about the first main character getting out of more tight spots than ten lucky cats. For a two hour movie there was really little dialogue; mostly visual drama. And the flotilla of civy boats shown in the rescue was hardly sufficient for moving more than a couple hundred soldiers.

And the pilot -- ditching at sea with friendlies all around sure seemed the better option than the beach landing and though just a private pilot, I wondered if if keeping the gear up and going in on the planes belly in that sand would have been much safer. Unless of course it was exceedingly hard packed which he couldn't have known.

Much less bloodshed than SPR or BOB and some others, but still not a relaxing movie at least for me as it brought home the horror with which some shoulders died particularly trapped in a sinking ship's hold.

Excellent observation. My first thought was he was going to refuel and fly out, but if he had intentions of destroying the plane (which he did), why bother with a risky dead stick on sand where digging in the gear would have been disastrous?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah Tom Hardy flew the Spitfire that had more ammo, and could glide longer than any other Spitfire ever built...

or any other Spitfire ever portrayed in a Movie...

and the one reason he didn't belly land on the beach...

Hollywood always loves to put planes where the landing gear won't come down,
so they have to hand crank it.. and they ALWAYS get it all the way down,
0.005 seconds before the wheels touch the ground...

what I also thought was pretty stupid.. why didn't he ditch or land near where the British
Troops were occupying the beach? Or does it make you a hero to shoot down 5 planes
and then landing to destroy your fighter so you can get captured by the enemy so you
can become a POW?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seen it.

Agreed, with appropriate GCI it coulda been an epic, ya just never got an image of what 300,000 British soldiers on a beach looked like, nor the volume of small craft needed to lift them off. No sense of the enormity of the accomplishment.

I'm glad Jorge gave thumbs up to the aerial combat sequences, otherwise I woulda thought 'em too slow in terms of what the pilot saw and perceived. I'm recalling two great sequences from the Battle of Britain movie, in particular where a new Spit pilot is shot down in flames in a catastrophic attack that lasts about one second, and ends with an equally brief flash of the victorious Bf 109 diving by out of the sun. And another wonderful shot where a line of little dots against the clouds resolves itself in moments to a squadron of Spitfires in a head-on attack. In this Dunkirk movie the guy has time go down low and watch his buddy ditch, and THEN catch up to the original German aircraft, still in sight. Likewise, he musta been packing an awful lot of ammo in that Spit, next time I see this movie I'm bringing a stopwatch.

It was a way cool shot I thought of that same Spit gliding like an arrow dead-stick over the beach (even if it was GCI), but when he got his last victory even the drunk Mexican gangster-type guy in the seat next to next to me turned to his woman and said "How'd he do that?", and I too wondered why he didn't just turn that Spit around to land with the Brits.

Two thumbs up on probably the best depiction yet of what it was like to be on the receiving end of a Stuka attack. And kudos to the movie for giving the defending French their due, for those in the audience who were paying attention at least.

OK, coulda been better, but in this day and age, to make a movie like this?

Birdwatcher gives it two thumbs up.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spitfire squadron code LC was not employed by a Spitfire squadron in the war and the serial numbers displayed also dont
belong to Spitfires from the war.

The movie uses Mk1 and Mk5 variants, the later of which wasn't actually produced until 1941.

The Messerschmitt for the movie is actually a post-war Hispano Buchon.(Merlin engine)

Bf109-E series (inverted DB601) were the actual Me109 variants used at Dunkirk.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There were other mistakes and temporal anomalies as well:

The headstamps on the .303 blanks portraying live ammunition fired by the actors portraying soldiers were from 1983 through 2009.

The socks worn by several of the actors portraying British soldiers were nylon, British soldiers of the day would have worn wool socks. The nurse on the hospital ship is wearing underwear from Walmart, which wasn't around in 1940.

In the line of Grenadiers, the actor portraying the 17th soldier from the water's edge has a tattoo on his arm commemorating the death of his mother in 2004!

When the boat arrives back to the English coast, just over the cliffs out of sight is a McDonald's restaurant. The first McDonald's restaurant wasn't established until 1955.

In the scene where the actors portraying the owner and crew of the Moonstone are looking up at the plane portraying a Bf109E flying by, the International Space Station as well as several GPS and telecomm satellites are in orbit high above the plane.

I could go on.....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just saw it and was disappointed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Think I'll save my money, after watching a dismal trailer and reports here.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Starman
Spitfire squadron code LC was not employed by a Spitfire squadron in the war and the serial numbers displayed also dont
belong to Spitfires from the war.

The movie uses Mk1 and Mk5 variants, the later of which wasn't actually produced until 1941.

The Messerschmitt for the movie is actually a post-war Hispano Buchon.(Merlin engine)

Bf109-E series (inverted DB601) were the actual Me109 variants used at Dunkirk.

I saw no Mark 5 Spits....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

I saw no Mark 5 Spits....

R9649 = Mk.Vb EP122
R9632 = Mk.Ia AR213
R9612 = Mk.Ia X2650

https://scarfandgoggles.wordpress.com/tag/tom-friedkin/

EP122 and AR213 are owned by Tom Friedkin.
in fact the Friedkin boys own a few more!
X4650, SM832, JG891, ML417

Airworthy Spitfires of the world:

http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/spitaw.htm

and deserving tribute to a genuine Bf109E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUUlO6ihwE

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well then they had the Mark V modified to look like a Mark 1

none of the Spits carried 20 mm cannons that I saw...

and when they were firing on the HE 111 and ME 109s, the Spits
firing indicated Browning 303s...

The MEs and HEs, were returning fire with cannon...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people are not happy unless there are gays, libians, and blacks with white blonds in the movies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There were other mistakes and temporal anomalies as well:

The headstamps on the .303 blanks portraying live ammunition fired by the actors portraying soldiers were from 1983 through 2009.

The socks worn by several of the actors portraying British soldiers were nylon, British soldiers of the day would have worn wool socks. The nurse on the hospital ship is wearing underwear from Walmart, which wasn't around in 1940.

In the line of Grenadiers, the actor portraying the 17th soldier from the water's edge has a tattoo on his arm commemorating the death of his mother in 2004!

When the boat arrives back to the English coast, just over the cliffs out of sight is a McDonald's restaurant. The first McDonald's restaurant wasn't established until 1955.

In the scene where the actors portraying the owner and crew of the Moonstone are looking up at the plane portraying a Bf109E flying by, the International Space Station as well as several GPS and telecomm satellites are in orbit high above the plane.

I could go on.....

You are a very observant fellow -- I know; you are Sherlock Holmes come to live incognito in Idaho. 😀

On another note my wife was reading some online site wherein "some French" were quite upset with Dunkirk as it seems they thought they were given short shrift in the movie.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I come to believe most of you would bitch about good sex and good booze.. I saw it thought it was a pretty good movie...

Last edited by 79S; 07/23/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw this film with my wife yesterday. Found it rather tedious and dreary, should have saved my money and saw it on re-reruns.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wife has been wanting to go see this movie for a while now.

When I told her the British soldiers were wearing the wrong socks and some chick had Walmart underwear on she cursed a bit and lost all interest.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
When folks see the movie remember it was the French who stood and fought the Germans off to allow the Brits to evacuate.

Without the courage and the bravery of those French troops, many Brits would not have lived to be evacuated.

I, too, am hoping for a great movie.

Ed

THIS. Also, while Guderian's tanks got there, the infantry had not caught up, hence the three day pause.

Guderian's tanks were accompanied by mechanized infantry, and the combination had been sufficient to overrun the entire French army and out the BEF on the run in the preceding weeks. Yes, having great numbers of infantry might have made a difference, but that was First World War thinking on the part of the old men in charge (Hitler and Von Runsted).

The German high command made a decision to stop the advance that Guderian, if not ordered to stop, would never have considered. He could have overrun the BEF with what he had in hand, using the tactics that had conquered the entirety of Europe in less than a year.

If the Germans had killed or captured theBEF at Dunkirk, England would have had no choice but to capitulate. There would have been no Battle of Britain, no invasion of Europe from England, and quite possibly the Third Reich might still rule Europe today.

The more I study history, the more I'm amazed the world is in the shape it's in. It could be so much different! Makes me wonder...

And perhaps if no Battle of Britain, No more USSR. Like you the more I read, the more I wonder.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect it would be next to impossible to make a WW2 movie these days and have everything technically correct. I watched Hacksaw Ridge on TV last night. Saw thousands of rounds fired, and don't recall seeing anyone reloading. One dude shot his grease gun at least 50-60 times, all on one 30 round magazine. Same way on the BAR, that had a 20 round mag. That's just how it works. I remember watching some western, not sure which one, and there in the distance was a highway with cars.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,902
Posts18,498,139
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.