Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Yeah, it's quite the process. The rescue agencies have to "vett" you. You fill out an application on line and must meet several criteria. Often they only want the dog going to a house with another dog, and most times, they want the yard to be fenced. We meet neither of these requirements, so we had to look for a dog that didn't require this. Many of the rescue dogs come from closed up puppy mills in the south and west, and have only lived with other dogs. Hence the "other dog" requirement. They will have us meet the dog at it's foster provider, and if that goes well, they will schedule a tour of our house. All members of the household have to be present for that. If that goes well, we most likely will get the dog once we pay the adoption fee.

Most of the rescue operations run this way up here. There's also the possibility that another party looking at the same dog gets her in stead of us. It's a pretty involved process.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this absolutely ridiculous??

No...you're not.

Good luck with the Beagle anyway GG. Never owned one but I've always liked those little guys.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Something I don't get about rescue organizations and local humane societies is how they determine adoption fees. I've seen them vary a bunch and as much as multiple hundreds of dollars from one rescue group to another and animal to animal.

Sometimes the dogs or cats have been returned after failing to workout at the adopters household as hoped and then the rescue organization puts them up for adoption again but charge the very same fees for the same list of reasons all over again. Really now, just how many times does a dog or cat need to be spayed or neutered.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it's quite the process. The rescue agencies have to "vett" you. You fill out an application on line and must meet several criteria. Often they only want the dog going to a house with another dog, and most times, they want the yard to be fenced. We meet neither of these requirements, so we had to look for a dog that didn't require this. Many of the rescue dogs come from closed up puppy mills in the south and west, and have only lived with other dogs. Hence the "other dog" requirement. They will have us meet the dog at it's foster provider, and if that goes well, they will schedule a tour of our house. All members of the household have to be present for that. If that goes well, we most likely will get the dog once we pay the adoption fee.

Most of the rescue operations run this way up here. There's also the possibility that another party looking at the same dog gets her in stead of us. It's a pretty involved process.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this absolutely ridiculous??

Why all the drama??

Why don't you just find a breeder and go buy a dog??

it's a DOG for crying out loud, it's not like there is a shortage of them!!

Sorry, but all of this "pet adoption" and "pet parent" nonsense is just absolute foolishness and anyone who goes along with it is just enabling the idiots who think animals are just like humans........

The reason I don't just "find a breeder and go buy a dog" is that beagle puppies up here run $1,875.00, which I don't have. Also, I'd much rather rescue a dog that's been given up or take from someone who may have been abusing it. Where's all this "drama" you're speaking of any ways? This is pretty standard operating procedure for rescue operations. As for the "non-shortage" of dogs, I've been looking for a while find a dog that met the criteria of: 1) didn't require a fenced in yard. 2) didn't require another dog to be present 3) was good with cats and kids. 4) was house trained and less than 4 years old. Go through the rescue shelter ads in your area and tell me how many you find that meet those requirements. As for "pet adoption" and "pet parent" being nonsense, you are entitled to your own opinion on that, and I'm entitled to mine. There's an awful lot of need for adoption from these rescue shelters. Incidentally-have you ever owned a beagle, or even a dog for that matter? Beagles like to run, and will at the drop of a hat. I understand the requirement for a fenced yard. I live in a neighborhood, and it wouldn't be good if the dog took off on us, and beagles are known to do. We have a cable run to put the dog on for her to get out and get exercise, and she will be walked on a leash at least twice a day, but we can't and shouldn't turn her loose and let her run the neighborhood. Plus, she'd be a big ol' snack for the local coyotes. There's been two ankle biters and two cats gone missing in our neighborhood in the last year, and I suspect it's from coyotes.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck getting the beagle Gunner! We are suffering sticker shock with a Shetland sheepdog,$$$$ Our Annie, back in 1986 cost about $35.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The reason I don't just "find a breeder and go buy a dog" is that beagle puppies up here run $1,875.00, which I don't have. Also, I'd much rather rescue a dog that's been given up or take from someone who may have been abusing it. Where's all this "drama" you're speaking of any ways? This is pretty standard operating procedure for rescue operations. As for the "non-shortage" of dogs, I've been looking for a while find a dog that met the criteria of: 1) didn't require a fenced in yard. 2) didn't require another dog to be present 3) was good with cats and kids. 4) was house trained and less than 4 years old. Go through the rescue shelter ads in your area and tell me how many you find that meet those requirements. As for "pet adoption" and "pet parent" being nonsense, you are entitled to your own opinion on that, and I'm entitled to mine. There's an awful lot of need for adoption from these rescue shelters. Incidentally-have you ever owned a beagle, or even a dog for that matter? Beagles like to run, and will at the drop of a hat. I understand the requirement for a fenced yard. I live in a neighborhood, and it wouldn't be good if the dog took off on us, and beagles are known to do. We have a cable run to put the dog on for her to get out and get exercise, and she will be walked on a leash at least twice a day, but we can't and shouldn't turn her loose and let her run the neighborhood. Plus, she'd be a big ol' snack for the local coyotes. There's been two ankle biters and two cats gone missing in our neighborhood in the last year, and I suspect it's from coyotes.

The drama is all the hand wringing and hoop jumping you are going through to "adopt" a DOG!

Yes, I have owned a bunch of dogs over the years, all of them hunting breeds that were actually hunted, not a single lap dog, not a single ankle biter, not a single couch potato..... none of them lived in the house. I have hunted behind beagles on several occasions and have been around others, so, yes, I know they need to run...

Anybody that would pay $1875 for a beagle is just nuts!! ..

AKC Registered beagles, $250 for males, $300 for females https://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/d/akc-beagle-puppies/6222763550.html

Free 8 week old male https://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/d/beagle/6199027332.html

Pair of 2 year old females FREE https://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/d/two-beagles-need-good-home/6207904828.html

Full blood beagle pups $75 males, $100 females https://stillwater.craigslist.org/grd/d/full-blood-beagle-puppies/6222820944.html

Purebred beagles 12 weeks old $75 https://seks.craigslist.org/grd/d/purebred-beagle-puppies/6184173728.html

AKC beagle pups $275 https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/d/akc-beagle-puppies/6209502836.html

AKC beagles $125 https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/d/akc-beagles/6207168706.html

There are quite a few more listed if you want me to continue........I have no reason to go through any shelter ad or jump through any "pet adoption" hoops, if I wanted a beagle, I'd just go get one.

Notice, none of these sellers require any "adoption" forms, no home visits, no fenced yard requirements etc, etc, etc....go visit them, pick out the dog you want, pay them and leave.....no hoops to jump through, no "adoption forms", no home visits, no drama!!

These "pet adoption" nuts are just as crazy as all the other PETA people and anyone that supports their actions by jumping through their hoops is just as bad......and that's my opinion.

Cancer Sucks
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad to hear that gophergunner. I have a feeling that you and your new friend will bless each other in ways you never imagined. Dogs are all that's pure and loyal in this world.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not all dog rescues are nuts, but the vast majority really are off their rockers.

Went to talk to a Doberman rescue lady last Winter, and she was seriously old school. Anyone that come to look to "adopt" a new "fur baby" is unceremoniously shown the door.

WTF happened to our society? We now "adopt" animals (and abort babies....}. And this whole "fur baby" thing drives me nuts.

I breed dogs, and one thing is guaranteed. You can ask all the questions you want, but people will lie their arse off if they want a dog. And nearly 2K for a beagle is inane. You could BUY a cull from a trialer for a few bucks, and you'd have a great little hunting dog.

The day I'd let some busy-body doo-gooder know-it-all in my house to determine if I'm allowed to buy a dog...... just go ahead and put me out of my misery, because I've done lost it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's no wonder folks are leaving here. In fuggingcredible that I have to get reemed over something like this. You guys are a real piece of work sometimes. This is the way these adoption agencies work up here. If it's done differently in your area, good for you. In spite of all your negativity, I'm gonna get a dog and enjoy it. So just keep flapping your traps, guys. 'Guess there's just some here who aren't happy unless they're attacking others and finding something to biatch about. Incidently, I DID check Craigslist as part of this search, and there were no beagles listed around here at the time. Two different kennels offered pups at $1,800.00 or more.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's no wonder folks are leaving here. In fuggingcredible that I have to get reemed over something like this. You guys are a real piece of work sometimes. This is the way these adoption agencies work up here.

Sensitive, a little, today?

If you see nothing wrong with this way of buying a dog, you're a grown man, it's your life and your money. But don't act all butthurt when people here don't see things the same way you do.

A dog from a rescue organization is no more of a dog than one on Craigslist that needs a new home. They are all dogs, and you're not doing anything special for "rescuing" one and "adopting" it, rather than just buying one or picking one out of a box in the parking lot at Walmart.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
It's no wonder folks are leaving here. In fuggingcredible that I have to get reemed over something like this. You guys are a real piece of work sometimes. This is the way these adoption agencies work up here.

Sensitive, a little, today?

If you see nothing wrong with this way of buying a dog, you're a grown man, it's your life and your money. But don't act all butthurt when people here don't see things the same way you do.

A dog from a rescue organization is no more of a dog than one on Craigslist that needs a new home. They are all dogs, and you're not doing anything special for "rescuing" one and "adopting" it, rather than just buying one or picking one out of a box in the parking lot at Walmart.

I never said it was Dutch, but do you really think what I wrote justified this kind of response? I don't. And I disagree on adoption. These dogs need a home, they're not "commodities" for sale any more. There's a difference. The adoption services really want to make sure they're not throwing these dogs back in a worse situation than they came from originally. Is there something wrong with that?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These damned dogs just have a way working into your heart and sole, and it hurts terribly when they're gone. Here's to the hope we can adopt this little girl and give us all some companionship.

Unconditional love. No matter how big a dick you were on a given day, dog will still be happy to see you. smile
I remember my dad saying than when I was a kid, "sometimes I think that dog is the only one happy to see me come home! every night".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I never said it was Dutch, but do you really think what I wrote justified this kind of response? I don't. And I disagree on adoption. These dogs need a home, they're not "commodities" for sale any more. There's a difference. The adoption services really want to make sure they're not throwing these dogs back in a worse situation than they came from originally. Is there something wrong with that?

We disagree, but yes, there IS something wrong with that. I've been around "rescue" organizations. They are the HOA boards and church-ladies of the dog world. Filled with little busy-bodies who feel they are called to judge who is and isn't "good enough" to get an unwanted dog. They feel really good about telling people they aren't good enough to get a dog that otherwise would be put down. That is twisted s#it.

But the truth is that for every unwanted dog they refuse to place, one more dog is going the kill-shelters. For every dollar spent on the application process, home visits, and administrative rigamarole, is not spent on pulling dogs out of kill-shelters.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have an aunt that does dog "rescues" in NJ. She and her do-gooder friends basically go on SWAT team raids and steal the dog from its owner at odd times of the day. Then bring it back to a "shelter" where it will stay for months or years as they look for someone good enough to "adopt" it into their "family." She's a psycho. And she has made clear that her millions of dollars in retirement will not be given to any of the "humans" in her family but rather donated to those under-privileged "citizens" of the animal world.

But yeah--she's in favor of human abortion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM from gophergunner.......what a whiner!

WTF is your major malfunction?

I know now why so many good people have left the fire-it's guys like you that just can't stand seeing someone else do things any other way than you do. Now that you've gone out of your way to lambaste me for just going through the procedures required to get a dog, I hope you're real proud of your self. It's loudmouthed pricks like you that really drag this place down. If I wanted a dog in Tulsa, I could hop in my truck, drive a day each way and get one. That ain't the case. If you choose not to do it this way, good for you. I made another choice, and I don't really give a crap what you think about that. In stead of running your mouth, about how you think others should do things, why don't you try contributing somehting useful around here. Welcome to IGNORE.

This whole bunch of nonsense is a perfect example of letting the liberal nuts dictate what is becoming normal!!

I would think a grown man could figure out how to get a beagle (we ain't talking a rare breed here) without willingly jumping through hoops that some peta loving, animal rights nazi nutcase, running an unwanted dog "adoption agency", decided to put you through.......or how to get one without paying $1800 to some breeder who thinks his dogs are gold........maybe I gave you too much credit??? I'd gladly go through the rest of my life without a dog before I'd bow down and kiss the feet of some idiot who thinks I need to jump through hoops to "adopt" a dog!! So, go ahead, put me on ignore, I'll consider that an honor......and, after you get that done, you might want to untwist your panties before you tear the lace!!

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that is my main frustration with the whole process. I am a breeder; my dogs lack nothing. They are part of the family. There's three scattered about my chair right now.

By treating dogs as if they are human beings, we do nothing but cheapen human life. Dogs are animals. We don't adopt them. We don't pretend they are children, or heaven forbid, as our masters. And for Pete's sake, we don't put them to sleep. We buy them, we shelter them as needed, we use them for work or service as needed, and we put them down when it is time.

Animals don't have rights, humans have obligations to keep animals in humane conditions. The obligation of humans does not convey a right on an animal.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Hope your dog acquasition is progressing well.

It has been a year now since we had to put down our jack russel terrorist. Momma has a new phoo phoo (yorkie/maltese cross) dog. But the new one thinks her mission in life is to roll and wrestle with the cats. The cats are, like yours, getting fat and lazy. The cottontails are also getting quite bold. They just sit along the driveway and watch as we go past. THAT did not happen when Rascal was around.

Have fun with the new beagle, and give the bunnies hell.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There is a ton of fun hunting to be had behind a beagle chasing rabbits!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
PM from gophergunner.......what a whiner!

WTF is your major malfunction?

I know now why so many good people have left the fire-it's guys like you that just can't stand seeing someone else do things any other way than you do. Now that you've gone out of your way to lambaste me for just going through the procedures required to get a dog, I hope you're real proud of your self. It's loudmouthed pricks like you that really drag this place down. If I wanted a dog in Tulsa, I could hop in my truck, drive a day each way and get one. That ain't the case. If you choose not to do it this way, good for you. I made another choice, and I don't really give a crap what you think about that. In stead of running your mouth, about how you think others should do things, why don't you try contributing somehting useful around here. Welcome to IGNORE.

This whole bunch of nonsense is a perfect example of letting the liberal nuts dictate what is becoming normal!!

I would think a grown man could figure out how to get a beagle (we ain't talking a rare breed here) without willingly jumping through hoops that some peta loving, animal rights nazi nutcase, running an unwanted dog "adoption agency", decided to put you through.......or how to get one without paying $1800 to some breeder who thinks his dogs are gold........maybe I gave you too much credit??? I'd gladly go through the rest of my life without a dog before I'd bow down and kiss the feet of some idiot who thinks I need to jump through hoops to "adopt" a dog!! So, go ahead, put me on ignore, I'll consider that an honor......and, after you get that done, you might want to untwist your panties before you tear the lace!!

PM's are private. He tried to talk to you like a man and you pussed out so much you need Vagsil. Congrats for qualifying for the special olympics.

Last edited by tzone; 07/24/17.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
shaking my head at the asshattery going on here. Man wants a dog. Man finds a dog. Man gives dog a home and welcomes the dog into his heart. Everyone should be happy for Jeff. Instead, the result is a lot of insults, stupidity, pompous crap and petty meanness. Some of you guys need to get your priorities straight. No wonder many of the old timers are gone from here these days. Geez.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 07/24/17.

Sam......

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 82 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.