Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting Phil...

I wasn't a Mopar Fan back in those days...

But for some reason in my old age, I've come around to those Mopar from
that era.

I love that Road Runner in that Purple also...

another love of mine, is that old Buick Roadmaster that was in the background

from 48 to 56 I am a real Fan of Buicks and Caddy's....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful. I love the old Mopars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have a buddy who had a '69 Road Runner.

First he bought a Honda Trail 90. His dad paid half.
Then he bought a Honda 350. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the Trial 90.
His next motorcycle was a 650 Triumph. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the Honda 350.
It was time to move up to four wheels. He bought a Corvair. His dad paid half for it, and his half was the 650 Triumph.
Finally, he had his eyes on the '69 Road Runner—383 ci engine, four-speed Hurst shifter, chome wheels. His dad paid half and his half was the Corvair.

So all he really paid for the Road Runner was half the value of the Honda 90. Sweet deal.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had a buddy in high school that bought a brand new 70 Roadrunner with a 426 hemi . . . it was plum crazy with Cragar Mags, just like this baby. I really liked his car. I would be tempted to buy a car like this in this condition, just for old times sake.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ah, it's not the Superbird.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A 1st cousin bought a new 1970 GTX 440 through a military purchase program while he was in the Air Force in Vietnam. The deal was you pay for a vehicle of your choice while serving and supposedly it would be mostly or completely paid for when (if?) you made it back and then you picked your vehicle up at a local dealership.

Cousin re-upped an extra six months in country in order to have his GTX paid for in full. When he ETS'd he had a heck of a time finding a Mopar dealer in our area willing to honor the deal. Took several weeks of inquiring around but he finally was able to pick up his brand new 1970 GTX 440 at a dealership in St. Louis, MO. Beautiful car, black w/black vinyl top, solid white int. auto trans,custom factory wheels, etc.

Unfortunately those weren't very good times for Mopar in terms of quality. He had a lot of quality issue with his over the short time he owned it. IIRC, he wound up giving up on it after a couple of years or so and bought a VW Beetle.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
AWESOME!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was one bad a$$ car in it's day.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by joken2

A 1st cousin bought a new 1970 GTX 440 through a military purchase program while he was in the Air Force in Vietnam. The deal was you pay for a vehicle of your choice while serving and supposedly it would be mostly or completely paid for when (if?) you made it back and then you picked your vehicle up at a local dealership.

Cousin re-upped an extra six months in country in order to have his GTX paid for in full. When he ETS'd he had a heck of a time finding a Mopar dealer in our area willing to honor the deal. Took several weeks of inquiring around but he finally was able to pick up his brand new 1970 GTX 440 at a dealership in St. Louis, MO. Beautiful car, black w/black vinyl top, solid white int. auto trans,custom factory wheels, etc.

Unfortunately those weren't very good times for Mopar in terms of quality. He had a lot of quality issue with his over the short time he owned it. IIRC, he wound up giving up on it after a couple of years or so and bought a VW Beetle.

Overseas military car sales. Selling cars in combat zones since WWII. I bought my truck through them in Ramadi Iraq. You by factory direct and they ship to a participating dealer.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beep Beep!!!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had a 1968 GTX convertible, 440 "Super Commando", Hemi 4 speed, Dana 60 rear end. First car I bought fully out of my own pocket. ($800!) FUN car... Miss it...

Originally Posted by cooper57m
Ah, it's not the Superbird.

1989 (+/-) I passed on an original Daytona Charger for $13K because I didn't like the interior. Got to looking the other evening. Restored 1969 Daytona Chargers are now going for $200K to $300K. The more common 1970 Super Birds are in the $150K to $250K range...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother had a '69 when he was in the Air Force. Put it in the shop one winter up in Caribou, ME, and balanced and blue-printed the 383. I rebuilt the Carter AVS for him, but it wasn't quite right till he found a Holley for it. I rebuilt that and we put it on. What a runner! At full throttle shifting the Torqueflite manually it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 upshift. Quite a ride.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I had a buddy in high school that bought a brand new 70 Roadrunner with a 426 hemi . . . it was plum crazy with Cragar Mags, just like this baby. I really liked his car. I would be tempted to buy a car like this in this condition, just for old times sake.

With all respect for the great old muscle cars, I have to say the the new Dodges are awesome and will be keepers.

I used to have an 87 Buick Grand National that wasn't too shabby. The marque's motto was "We brake for Corvettes." There was a rumor that the two Buick guys who greenlighted the project got fired by GM.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anjin

With all respect for the great old muscle cars, I have to say the the new Dodges are awesome and will be keepers.

I used to have an 87 Buick Grand National that wasn't too shabby. The marque's motto was "We brake for Corvettes." There was a rumor that the two Buick guys who greenlighted the project got fired by GM.

That Grand National was a fast/nice runner - a ground-breaking type in its day. Back then a few of them ran upside my Corvette. Someone at GenMo was kidding - they didn't need to brake for that C2 - smiled a bit looking at those GNs in the mirror.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I couldn't get past with the Grand national was it was a V6.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Motors were tough.. Can't say much about suspension or overall build.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Anjin

That Grand National was a fast/nice runner - a ground-breaking type in its day. Back then a few of them ran upside my Corvette. Someone at GenMo was kidding - they didn't need to brake for that C2 - smiled a bit looking at those GNs in the mirror.

RIght up the street they sold an older house and it had a detached weathered garage, inside was a grand national. New Owner of the house ended up with it grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.