Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by kellory
It's amazing how fqukked up those northern states are. You can't use a 30/30 on deer but you can use a 50BMG for coyotes.

I can use ANY rifle or shotgun on squirrel, but can't use the same gun in the same woods for deer. True.
I asked ODNR. Why.
"Squirrel is not very popular any more, so very little chance of any shot hitting another hunter. But when deer-gun opens, EVERY guy who ever called himself a hunter, is in the woods with you. Much higher chance of an accident, so shorter range weapons are preferred."

You could have just typed 'Yankees'

Naw, I don't bother with baseball....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Being from Ohio I will try to explain THEIR logic.

Most of Ohio is flat. The SE part gets hilly but nothing big. Something like 70% of the state is fairly flat thanks to the last ice age. That is their concern number one, bullets can travel long distances more easily in their minds.

Ohio is a small state. Our square mileage is not large, but we are the 5th or 6th most populous state in the nation. This means a lot of people in a small space.

We grow BIG deer here. People from all over the nation hunt in Ohio for our 7 day season. Since we only have a seven day season (for some damn reason) the woods are typically crowded during gun season.

If Ohio were to legalize all rifle cartridges, I think they should expand the season to three weeks similar to Indiana (exact same issues above) so people had more options when to hunt rather than be forced into a single week. Michigan has similar issues but the state has a dividing line for the northern half of the mitten and the UP. Ohio could do the same in the SE part where there are more hills and less population density.

“Lighten up Francis”
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by micky

Most of Ohio is flat. The SE part gets hilly but nothing big. Something like 70% of the state is fairly flat thanks to the last ice age. That is their concern number one, bullets can travel long distances more easily in their minds.

Ohio is a small state. Our square mileage is not large, but we are the 5th or 6th most populous state in the nation. This means a lot of people in a small space.

We grow BIG deer here. People from all over the nation hunt in Ohio for our 7 day season. Since we only have a seven day season (for some damn reason) the woods are typically crowded during gun season.

If Ohio were to legalize all rifle cartridges, I think they should expand the season to three weeks similar to Indiana (exact same issues above) so people had more options when to hunt rather than be forced into a single week. Michigan has similar issues but the state has a dividing line for the northern half of the mitten and the UP. Ohio could do the same in the SE part where there are more hills and less population density.

I don't mean this to disagree with you, but I've also seen recent posts on the subject where the poster claimed the reason why there are the current regulations is that the deer are too small and the land is too hilly. My point is that no one can really agree on why the regs are there.

I have to agree with the woods being crowded. I hunted Eagle Creek WMA back in 2000, and the Opener was shrowded in fog. About 1000, the fog lifted and for miles around all you could see were little orange hats glinting in the sunlight like fireflies.

In regards to season length: it goes Monday to Sunday and then opens back up for two days on the next Saturday.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still don't make sense that I can hunt the flat land and shoot coyotes with a 50BMG, but I can't hunt deer with a 30/30.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by micky

I don't mean this to disagree with you, but I've also seen recent posts on the subject where the poster claimed the reason why there are the current regulations is that the deer are too small and the land is too hilly. My point is that no one can really agree on why the regs are there.

I have to agree with the woods being crowded. I hunted Eagle Creek WMA back in 2000, and the Opener was shrowded in fog. About 1000, the fog lifted and for miles around all you could see were little orange hats glinting in the sunlight like fireflies.

In regards to season length: it goes Monday to Sunday and then opens back up for two days on the next Saturday.

Correct. Season was shortened this past season due to lower herd size reported. Rifle regs came from pistol regs originally. (I know this because I asked ODNR in person.) Originally, if a approved hunting handgun had a matching rifle version, the rifle was also approved. However, there are more acceptable rifles, than handguns, so many rifles were not approved, even though they fit all other requirements. This of course led to confusion, tickets, and a whole lot of "what the heck is going on?".
However, EVERY step forward is fought tooth and nail by all sorts of groups claiming the woods will run with human blood, bambie-Thumpers claiming that that is what SHOULD happen, drone drivers driving off game and filming hunts, or dive bombing hunters, legal-beagles looking for lawsuits, and public outcry from vegans, and anti-hunters.
So getting THIS MUCH is a victory in itself. We had farmers protesting Sunday hunting, and I have SEEN IN USE blankets for covering stock that read in 3' high orange letters "COW" "PIG" "SHEEP" and "HORSE".
A few years ago, they added .454 Marlin to the approved list, and they were scheduled to add .450BUSHMASTER and .50 Beowulf last year. This change did not happen on time, and I had built my AR-15 .450BUSHMASTER In anticipation of the change. So I am rather glad to have a chance to use it in my home state.
Per ODNR, they would like to see ALL rifles included, and as long as there are no rifle related deaths, they intend to try for that Mark. Any mistakes, deaths, or major stupidity, will set that goal back.
Personally, I'm more interested in repealing the "no second weapon" rule. It's stupid, defies common sense, proper safety, and infringes 2A. (Nothing about a legal Privlege , should ever Take precedence over a Right.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Still don't make sense that I can hunt the flat land and shoot coyotes with a 50BMG, but I can't hunt deer with a 30/30.

It doesn't, but then the Ohio rules have never been based in objective reality. Where they do make sense is a lot of Ohioans think there should be no deer hunting. The shotgun-only rules come from a time when NY first instituted its first modern season, and from all reports it really was a circular firing squad.

However, Hunter Orange and Hunter Ed took care of all that. Folks are no longer able to wear their brown Carharts with a white handkerchief hanging out of their pocket without an orange hat. Hunter Ed teaches things like:

1) Don't shoot into bushes
2) Don't hunt sounds
3) Don't shoot at skylit deer
4) Don't shoot your buddy because he made fun of your orange hat.

Once you get those things figured out, hunting is fairly safe.

"This is 911."

"I've shot my buddy and he's dead."

"Okay, relax. We'll take care of you. Give us some details."

"I thought he was a deer and I shot him."

"Are you sure he's dead?"

"What do you mean?"

"Make sure he's not still breathing."

"Okay." Long Pause "BANG!" Long Pause. "Yep, he's dead."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,404 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.