Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well if ya wanna talk deer... I have five deer that have 10 plus points already that we see almost every day, or every other day. Plus I don't even count the 8s... I do count the trash and there is a 7 that won't make it come season.

And he or any of the 10s etc could be shot out of the house door.

No need to shut anything down or miss work. I can pop one, gut it and hang it in the barn or cooler and be at work before 8.... or shoot one after 5.

But TX pales in comparison to AK. For the wife and I anyway. We'll be wage slaves for a few years until retirement funds can kick in a bit. But that will be ok too. Rather eat vienna up there, than steak down here any day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by rost495
Well if ya wanna talk deer... I have five deer that have 10 plus points already that we see almost every day, or every other day. Plus I don't even count the 8s... I do count the trash and there is a 7 that won't make it come season.

And he or any of the 10s etc could be shot out of the house door.

No need to shut anything down or miss work. I can pop one, gut it and hang it in the barn or cooler and be at work before 8.... or shoot one after 5.

But TX pales in comparison to AK. For the wife and I anyway. We'll be wage slaves for a few years until retirement funds can kick in a bit. But that will be ok too. Rather eat vienna up there, than steak down here any day.

I wouldn't want to live in TX. To many laws for me. I don't need the government telling me what to shoot. Down state MI is that way in many places, and some southern UP. I believe in winning over peoples hearts. But it it is a free country, shoot what you want. I don't want to risk fines cause I shot to small, or dump it. In wide open area probably have more time to identify. I typically do here too though. I just against big government.

I typically pass on small, unless it has been a long draught. But lots of guys just want to eat venison and don't care about rack.

I do get if you pass for a few years, you will see more big ones. But between the wolves, bears, and winter, it can be a competition. Plus first time hunters. My grandpa in his 80s shot a spike. I had a younger hunter, I wish I could have gotten anything to get him hooked.

Last edited by Zerk; 07/23/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Zerk
I was surprised in thee brief conversations I had in bars, that while people hunted, it didn't seem to be the same. In UP deer season is big part of the culture. If you are a hunter, you go every year. Some of the people I talked to up there, were ya I went a couple years ago, went out to some some island. Maybe you have to travel more, though it would seem you are right next to wild life. Maybe if you shoot somethig big, your freezer is full for a couple years.

But I asked about bird hunting, none said they did. I realize this is a small sample.

I'd like to go up on contract. Shoot one of everything, and maybe come home. Maybe fall in love.

What I found interesting, is everyone was a transplant. Maybe 30 years. Yukon, everyone was local.

I always look to the people in bars to find out what the real people do in an area/state...

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Alaska is expensive, so you better have a good well paying job. Many jobs in Alaska pay significantly more than anywhere in the lower 48, much more than the added cost of living. In most parts of the state, big game hunting takes a greater investment in time and money than a lower 48 white tail hunt. Simply put, you don't hunt big game on weekends or evenings.

Most of the state has low densities of game, if you want hunting and fishing paradise via a 20' skiff minutes from home, move to SE.

I know everyone likes to bash Anchorage, but if you want to talk about opportunities close by, I'd venture to say you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the world where in 30 minutes you can be hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, state range (rifle, handgun, rimfire, skeet, archery) rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, camping, downhill skiing, cross country skiing, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, kite surfing, pan for gold, see multiple species of big game, have world class views of mountains and ocean, have a great meal, watch the symphony, hit the international airport, etc., Quite a few of those activities I've pulled of at lunch time. Drive a little bit further and you have world class ocean and river fishing. If you're willing to access hunting with your feet you have moose, black bear and dall sheep hunting.

The trail head for this hike is 15 min from my house

[Linked Image]

458 Lot, if you can find a job that pays more than the extra expenses, then you are in good shape. I have not heard much about the high paying jobs in Alaska . Moat say the extra cost eats up the extra pay. . . And that is a nice picture yo got and only 15 min form home. Later, Ihookem.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[e]
I always look to the people in bars to find out what the real people do in an area/state...

wink

I like to talk to regular folk.

What I can say, is I am fine if I never go back to Anchorage. Go all the way up there, to live in a big city.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Great song that is personally relevant. I've been captivated by Alaska since I was a child and became hopelessly tangled in her web after my first visit there 20 years ago. I'll finally realize the culmination of one dream and begin the journey of the second dream with my impending move. There's no place on earth like Alaska and outside of the cities some of the finest, if not "quirky", people I've ever met.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_tHfI1JL8

Who you calling quirky? ;-)

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Alaska is expensive, so you better have a good well paying job. Many jobs in Alaska pay significantly more than anywhere in the lower 48, much more than the added cost of living. In most parts of the state, big game hunting takes a greater investment in time and money than a lower 48 white tail hunt. Simply put, you don't hunt big game on weekends or evenings.

Most of the state has low densities of game, if you want hunting and fishing paradise via a 20' skiff minutes from home, move to SE.

I know everyone likes to bash Anchorage, but if you want to talk about opportunities close by, I'd venture to say you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the world where in 30 minutes you can be hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, state range (rifle, handgun, rimfire, skeet, archery) rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, camping, downhill skiing, cross country skiing, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, kite surfing, pan for gold, see multiple species of big game, have world class views of mountains and ocean, have a great meal, watch the symphony, hit the international airport, etc., Quite a few of those activities I've pulled of at lunch time. Drive a little bit further and you have world class ocean and river fishing. If you're willing to access hunting with your feet you have moose, black bear and dall sheep hunting.

The trail head for this hike is 15 min from my house

[Linked Image]

458 Lot, if you can find a job that pays more than the extra expenses, then you are in good shape. I have not heard much about the high paying jobs in Alaska . Moat say the extra cost eats up the extra pay. . . And that is a nice picture yo got and only 15 min form home. Later, Ihookem.

All the driving, or flying, or boating to get to the right place takes a lot of cash. For example, a friend of mine and I drive over 300 miles from Fairbanks just to catch salmon. Yes, we can catch enough for the whole winter and Spring, but just on the boat alone we have to spend quite a lot for fuel and maintenance, plus driving 600+ miles (round trip) paying over $3.00 per gallon along the way. Flying to a hunting spot also costs a lot of money. Anywhere near the town or city there are hunters everywhere you go. But one still can have a great time camping and enjoying the outdoors with friends and family, and if lucky, kill a moose too smile

Last edited by Ray; 07/23/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Rather eat vienna up there, than steak down here any day."

Attitude is everything. You folks will do very well here!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....it was said earlier and is great advice, rent/visit for a while.....I see a lot of folks ....headed south in uhauls and pickups and trailers covered with tarps....go on .......get !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[e]

wink

I like to talk to regular folk.

What I can say, is I am fine if I never go back to Anchorage. Go all the way up there, to live in a big city.

I think that will work just fine.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anchorage is as big or small as you want. The way I see it is my kids had good friends from every high school in Anchorage, Eagle River and Chugiak. If everyone was a big city db, that wouldn't be the case.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by sloone
thank you ray.i certainly have a lot to consider.

A dental crown with root canal goes for around $1,500 these days,

If you can get a crown and root canal for $1,500 these days that is a genuine bargain.

Cost my son $4400 to have 4 wisdom teeth pulled in Anchorage last year!

Did a search and national average was around $1200.

Other medical costs are so extreme most insurance wont pay at that rate, better to go outside for major health issues.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
hey guys.thanks again for the input.ray,thanks and I understand a lot of the plus and minuses.2 legit,im exhausted just reading that brief excursion and hope you get some longer times away in the outdoors,im sure you do!!!!! hookem the Adirondacks are the other option and still very much in play.a little more congested than when my dad bought our lake house in 1965.he sold in 85 and those 20 years were the best.that part of ny is gorgeous and away from a lot of the far left lunatics from the city and suburban area. rost & aces. its not Alaska but it is still pretty damn remote and peaceful.and between labor day and memorial day only the year round people.as someone said deer hunting is real tough there.you have to go in deep to find them and there aren't to many compared to other places.pretty good bear hunting.i lived in Pennsylvania in bucks county about a 70 minute drive north of Philadelphia from 1988 to 2012 and the deer hunting there was incredible.i had some great farms I hunted and harvested 6 bucks that scored over 150 b&c in that time frame.also great bear hunting in the upstate mountains of pa.record book bears frequently.anyway I'm off topic and sorry for rambling.thanks to you all again.god bless

You've done very, very well for a PA hunter! When I lived in NC, which was for many years, I had good hunting out my back door. I have never had it so easy since. Still, I plan to head for AK when retired. And as often as possible until then ...

I watched the AK land sales and other real estate stuff for some time, as well as doing as much traveling in the state as I could. If you want a point of view from an outsider doing the same inquiry you are, send a PM. It's pretty boring stuff for AK natives.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Originally Posted by Ray
thank you ray.i certainly have a lot to consider.

A dental crown with root canal goes for around $1,500 these days,

If you can get a crown and root canal for $1,500 these days that is a genuine bargain.

Cost my son $4400 to have 4 wisdom teeth pulled in Anchorage last year!

Did a search and national average was around $1200.

Other medical costs are so extreme most insurance wont pay at that rate, better to go outside for major health issues.

AK seems the epicenter of medical roguery from where I'm standing. It is one of the biggest down sides to living there IMO.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should hear the Docs squawk...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Great song that is personally relevant. I've been captivated by Alaska since I was a child and became hopelessly tangled in her web after my first visit there 20 years ago. I'll finally realize the culmination of one dream and begin the journey of the second dream with my impending move. There's no place on earth like Alaska and outside of the cities some of the finest, if not "quirky", people I've ever met.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_tHfI1JL8

Who you calling quirky? ;-)

I meant it in the best way possible ykrvak. 👍 I like and appreciate quirky, middle of the road white bread is boring as hell. I get along great with people that are half a bubble off center, which tells more about me than it does them. 😳 I really can't recall meeting anyone in all my travels around AK that was an all out [bleep]. The ones that want to be left alone I politely leave alone, it's the ones that want to buy you one more shot that I have to be careful around careful around.lol

Quirky's good m'kay....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
No worries, I understood the spirit in which it was said. Besides, I'm sure my wife would agree with me being a bit "touched in the head" so to speak.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (41rem, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,019
Posts18,520,757
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.