Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So John, if I drove out there to pick it up how much would you discount for shipping?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen charges $27 for non-shipped copies, so is you can do it for around a tenth of a cent a mile, you'd come out ahead!

By the way, in the summer of 2002 we drove from here to Annapolis for a family reunion. But we were younger then!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, cross country road trips don't have the appeal they had when we were only 50!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I received my copy yesterday. I'm looking forward to diving in.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CKW,

Thanks very much for the compliments on "Window Seat"! Can we use them on our website? It's always good to let potential readers know what other readers think.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm trying to figure out how I want mine personally inscribed.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go ahead and use my comments on your website. Does that make me a "published author"? laugh

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course!

Thanks,

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine yesterday(along with Eileens Rubs & Marinades Book). Look forward to reading 'em!

Jeff

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't forget the brines part of Eileen's cookbook! That's just as important, if not more so. She's been cooking ducks this week, to test recipes and take photos for a magazine article, and the brining made them REALLY tender, including the legs.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
No matter how long I brine or simmer, I can never get those Nitro Mag #2's to get tender! MD, on payday I will be ordering your book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff
Got mine yesterday(along with Eileens Marinades, brines and rubs book Tenderize the Wild). Look forward to reading 'em!

Jeff

Fixed it, sorry Eileen! Brines are definitely important! BTW the spiral bound format is perfect for a cookbook! Thumbs up!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been reading this book. Enjoy it as much as the rest of your writings. I learned something(s) too. Maybe I read this part in your latest Rifle article, hmmm.
I was not aware of the issues of over tightening the scope rings. I might have been lucky, though most screws on my rifles don't get 'farmer tight'.

I bought a 7600 that was inaccurate according to previous owner. Every screw was as tight as he could get it (he was a carpenter - strong hands).
The worst thing he did though was the elevation and the windage adjustments were turned right hand until they were way way tight. He destroyed that Leupold - but Leupold replaced it for me.

Sub 1/2 MOA rifle after remounting the new Leupold scope.

I was unaware of the issues you brought up regarding the rings being over tightened though. Thanks for your good work/writing.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mine came Thursday when I was out of town but I am sitting here enjoying it now!

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered the book half expecting it to be dry and textbook like for some reason. I have no idea why, and it certainly would have been fine with me as my primary reason for buying it was for education rather than entertainment. It was love at first paragraph. After reading the first paragraph it was immediately apparent that the author has the spirit of a sportsman and the skill as a scribe to stir that sportsman's soul.

I called Laurie into the room and read it to her. I give Laurie anything she wants. Anything but the window seat that is. I love to peer down at the land below and try to guess where I am. Guess where the wildlife will be. My face is planted firmly in the window for the entire trip, processing all the information Mother Nature is giving me. After reading it to Laurie she smiled knowing that I had found a good read.

This morning I sat out on the front porch reading a bit further into the book. I chuckled out loud at times. There's a certain sarcasm or cynicism that John uses that I really enjoy. To call it dry humor is to do it an injustice. I'll be damned if I know what to call it, but I like it. I am a southeasterner, but am blessed to have traveled over much of the west. I have been out there enough to appreciate this little nugget. "About the only way you can tell you are in Colorado is some men and women wear cowboy boots and big hats. (Most of these people sell real estate...) That's the writings of a man who never stops studying the world around him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm well into my copy, thanks to 7X57Steve. I'm getting to the age when a lot of the adventures John writes of are too demanding physically, so I revel in living them vicariously through his words.

Another plus, for me, is the large print he used in the book. I can (mostly) read it without needing my reading glasses. That can, or can't, be a good thing. Normally I eschew large(ish) print but somehow it's ok in this instance.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
PaulBarnard,

Glad you are liking the book! Would like to quote part of your post on riflesandrecipes.com, if that's OK with you.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
PaulBarnard,

Glad you are liking the book! Would like to quote part of your post on riflesandrecipes.com, if that's OK with you.

Certainly John. The book has lit a fire in me. I have got to stop dreaming about hunting out west, and get it done.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My copy is on the way! Looking forward to it-

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.