Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My response was more tongue in cheek than anything...you are correct in your facts however. Lets be honest though...the amount of blacks in the US today is directly because of the Southern demand for slaves...end of story.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
A little known fact about stonewall Jackson is he taught a black Sunday school class.

Most Southerns were not bigots contrary to popular belief. The Civil War was not fought for the right to own slaves IMHO. It was fought for the same reason the revolution was....taxation without representation. Only a liberal would claim it was about slavery...and that comes down to agenda.

Its been said that Lincoln offered to leave slavery in place if the south would lay down her arms...what does that say

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 07/26/17.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Let us cross over the river, and rest in the shade of the trees"

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
My response was more tongue in cheek than anything...you are correct in your facts however. Lets be honest though...the amount of blacks in the US today is directly because of the Southern demand for slaves...end of story.

Which "southern" demand??? You do realize there was already well established usage of black slaves in the south long before the English speaking colonist came along. So you might as well be fair and spread the blame equally.

Édit. Might add that at least in the French colonies the free Blacks and creoles were equal opportunity types. Many owned black
Slaves too!!! wink

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/26/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Which "southern" demand??? You do realize there was already well established usage of black slaves in the south long before the English speaking colonist came along. So you might as well be fair and spread the blame equally.

Who imported black African slaves into what is now the United States prior to British colonization? The Spanish in Florida? And if they were imported prior to British colonization, in what quantities? This seems like specious reasoning to me.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Who imported black African slaves into what is now the United States prior to British colonization? The Spanish in Florida? And if they were imported prior to British colonization, in what quantities? This seems like specious reasoning to me.

The Spanish and French imported lots of blacks. Sugar cane!!! The Spanish tried using the natives here and they just seemed to die. So they brought in the Blacks.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
As we seem to be on the subject of war, wars in general. They are all fought over some resource, or another. Taxes, minerals, spice, yes spice. To me, slaves only entered the picture as a cash investment. That was, well after the American Civil War was under way.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Spanish and French imported lots of blacks. Sugar cane!!! The Spanish tried using the natives here and they just seemed to die. So they brought in the Blacks.

I'd forgotten about the French in Louisiana.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another thing that many do not remember is the importation of slaves from Africa to the USA was outlawed in 1807.

That's not saying smuggling did not occur. Especially thru Spanish colonies like Florida and Texas. Jean Lafitte was a slave smuggler out of Galveston

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

I'd forgotten about the French in Louisiana.

As well as Mississippi, Alabama, and Southern Arkansas. French brought in LOTS of blacks. One of the reasons rice was brought in and became a big crop by the French. It was used to feed the slaves. Also cotton was originally grown in the French colonies to clothe the slaves. There were royal decrees in both France and Spain against the use of cotton fabric in the 17th and 18th century!! Strong linen guild lobby. The use of cotton fabric in the their colonies was kinda ignored.

But the Spanish were pretty strict in their Royal regulations for example caste system in their colonies. You could be fined or jailed for dressing out of your class!

Founder

WS

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bob/Woody, you are a gem of information.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

You need to dig a little deeper into history!

Here's a clue:

Molasses and Rum!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Colonial history of the south/southwest was my real interest. Especially the southern French colonies. I think I posted here one time that to me post 1812 history here is a bit boring for me.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

You need to dig a little deeper into history!

Here's a clue:

Molasses and Rum!

Dig as I may...it wasn't folks in the north making use of blacks as farm equipment.

How did this post spiral into this slavery debate...LOL my fault

As far as generals go...Jackson was a good one for sure...his early passing and subsequent Confederate collapse has led to his legend status imho more than (or at least as much as) his actions while in command. He was good imho...but both the Confederacy and the Union had better. From all accounts, ole Stonewall was a different kind of cat.

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 07/26/17.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Colonial history of the south/southwest was my real interest. Especially the southern French colonies. I think I posted here one time that to me post 1812 history here is a bit boring for me.

It shows...you are a wealth of knowledge for sure. Im a big history buff myself but to be honest my interest primarily starts with the end of WWI. Its not that I don't appreciate the prior generations its just always been fun to study the world my Grandparents were born into and spoke about frequently in my youth.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
How did this post spiral into this slavery debate...LOL my fault

They always seem to! LOL! Would love to read and contribute an ACW thread where even the mention of "slavery was abolished!" To coin a phrase. LOL.

Much rather discuss the men, battles, material, logistics. And by all means, not re-fight it. Use it as a learning tool!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I have a well worn copy of LaHarpe's Historical Journal of the Establishment of the French in Louisiana sitting on my coffee table as I type this, as well as a tote full of journal articles about the early french explorations in the interior highlands in my closet. Some very interesting American (and world) history that most people know very little about.

ego operor non tutela
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

It shows...you are a wealth of knowledge for sure. Im a big history buff myself but to be honest my interest primarily starts with the end of WWI. Its not that I don't appreciate the prior generations its just always been fun to study the world my Grandparents were born into and spoke about frequently in my youth.

It's great when you have such a connection! It gives your interest a humanity!

Personally, I can do without the military aspect of some things. I like the exploration and adventure angle of those folks going into an unknown land for he first time. There's lots to study and read! I also have a thing for all types of vintage hunting and such. From flintlocks to Krags and beyond! LOL

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Gadfly

I have a well worn copy of LaHarpe's Historical Journal of the Establishment of the French in Louisiana sitting on my coffee table as I type this, as well as a tote full of journal articles about the early french explorations in the interior highlands in my closet. Some very interesting American (and world) history that most people know very little about.

Ahh! François deLaHarpe! Now there's an adventure. I quoted two of his stories not too long ago here on the campfire!! Establishes and runs a trading post in Spanish Texas and the Dons did nothing about it!!! LOL! One of the stories was his dining on unicorn at the Nasoni caddo village where he set up that post! (Actually it was like a small cabin. Mebbe 8x8 poste du terre construction).

Have you ever read du Pages journals??

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember now the other deLaHarpe story I told. Of the Canadien In their party that shot a "whistling deer" near The Rapides on the Red River. That's what the early canadiens called an Elk. Would have been somewhere around Alexandria La. !

Founder

WS

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1badf350, 1234, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.