-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am wanting to put some food plots in next year in areas I can not get to with conventional farm equipment and I am looking at a plotmaster that I can pull with my ATV. Has anyone used one? I am looking for some reviews on it to see if it works like it is advertised and if it is worth the cost. Thanks.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yep they are ok for what they are designed for. I have a 4' model that I use to put in clover in pine plantation lanes. If you have a BIG food plot, get a tractor.

I would also add, it might be easier to use a skid steer with a cutter attachment on the front to make it so you CAN get a tractor in to where you are going.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 07/29/17.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I learned a long time ago, an ATV is no substitute for a tractor. First thing, it depends if the soil where you want the food plot has not been worked (disc'd) in a long time. If not, you need to: spray with glyphosate to kill off the vegetation, till it with a bottom plow, fertilize and disc to work in fertilizer and break up dirt clods, THEN seed and cultipack. An ATV with ATV implements is ok for maintenance of small established food plots, but simply lack the strength and weight to do ajob they were not made for.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replys. I am a part time farmer and rancher so I have acces to big equipment, but not any small equipment that I can food plot with. I have a field I am currently farming that I am going to fence off a three acre portion and make a food plot and plant milo in it. The ground is worked and relatively soft so I am confident I can get the plotmaster through that soil. I do not have a planter so I have to hire my row crops planted. They guy I use has a 30 row planter so there is no way he can plant it. That is where I was wanting to use the plot master to plant. Another place I have is an alfalfa field in a creek bottom and I want to plant wheat and clover in clearings along the creek. I have a skid steer with a tree shear to clear a trail, but I can not get a 400 horsepower tractor and 40' drill in there to plant it. That is where I would use the plotmaster to break open the new ground and then plant the winter crop on. I like the idea of spending $4,000 on a plotmaster rather than buy a little tractor just to do food plots with if the plotmaster will work. Like others said I think it will be fine to maintain previously prepped ground, but I don't know about breaking out new ground with it.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In theory the plotmaster will work, but communism also works in theory. If it would work I would buy one, but I don't want to buy one and it not work well in my soil and then end up having to invest in a tractor in a few years. I just don't have the money to buy a tractor at the moment and it will likely be a few more years before I have enough money to buy a tractor.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The plotmaster is pretty lightweight. I looked at one for similar projects and backed off. A lot of ground I was going to put into plots had not been cultivated in 100 years, and so clearing, plowing, etc. would have to be done before I could dream of using the plotmaster. It's all fun and games until you hit a rock.

What I found helpful was this:

Habitat How-To's

A lot of these articles were written by the biologist that came out from the KWDFWR to assess my property. Food plots are great, but they're expensive. A lot of the how-to's on that site are cheaper and do as good or better.

I've gotten the biggest bang out of things that are no-cost or low cost. For instance, just telling the hay-guy to be sloppy in the fence corners yielded a lot of new habitat in a hurry. Strip Disking is another good one. So is hinge-cutting trees.

Food plots? If you can get someone to disk or cultipack, just handspread clover or wildlife mix and then drag an old bedspring over it to bury the seed. I do that with my lawnmower or with my S-10.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.