Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Per the title, looking for an Echols Legend or McMillan stock for a Left Hand, Long Action, Winchester M70. Standard or Magnum fill. No Edge fill. No sniper fill.

If anyone would happen to recall where I sold this stock to? Or, if it might happen to be available? Or a similar McWoody ? that would be cool as well...

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
McMillan Edge

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have you handled the Legend stock?

It's pretty nice. May want to give D'Arcy a call. He's easy to talk to and loves to help his customers solve problems.

McM makes them, but to D'Arcy's specs and D'Arcy has sole rights.

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Barreled action shown in the picture above (LH .300H&H) currently sits in an Edge Legend. I like the Legend ! New rifle is a LH .375H&H. A standard fill or mag fill Legend stock would be ideal. Just checking to see what folks may have sitting around before I drop a nickel to call Mr. Echols.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You'll drop several nickels, around $600 IIRC. And I had to glue on the recoil pad, do some inletting, inlet the bolt handle, as he sends them out uncut, suitable for L or R hand bolts. That price was for std. fill with pillars and pins for a .404J, M-70 build. Then, I had to paint it...

Hope you can do some of that work yourself.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the .404J build on a .300 RUM M-70 donor, Walther bbl. NECG irons, Legend std. fill.

Bottom photo shows just how perfectly D'Arcy inletted the Williams bottom metal. I didn't touch that inletting.

The Legend is a compromise between irons and scope. I found I had to get really down on the comb to see the irons, the rear sight a vintage M-70 OEM fold down because of the NECG peep. If you're going to use irons a lot, you may want to try the McM Safari. I think it may have a lower comb.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the Sako Safari on a MkV, now called the Wby Express. Check the McM site for details. The comb is lower than the Legend. I think the M-70 equivalent is pretty similar.

DF

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You'll drop several nickels, around $600 IIRC. ... DF

LOL ! ! ! Sorry. I am dating myself. "drop a nickel" as in "drop a nickel into a payphone to make the call..." grin Back in the day, everyone in my crowd was teed off when payphones went from 5 cents per call to 10 cents... Of course then we figured out that we could drop the first nickel into the phone, smack the coin return, get our nickel back AND a dial tone !

I think I gave between $500 and $600 for my first Echols Legend, raw stock. Then traded it and some cash for one that had already been finished. Yes, I can do the work. But, I'm just lazy. If someone had a suitable stock, all up, ready to go, I would rather buy the completed stock than do the work myself.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

I'm old enough to have gotten the "drop a nickel" line... grin

Just messing with ya... wink

Yeah, the raw Legend is a lot of money with a LOT of work to be done.

One good thing about McM, you'll spend that kinda money, but it'll be drop in ready when you get it.

Other than a McWoody, I like to get my McM in the raw, do the glass work, etc. then send it back for paint.

Sometimes I'll fill/reshape the bolt handle slot to suit me. Then when the paint goes on, it looks real professional, covers bedding, all the alterations I've made.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For example, I got this Hunters Edge for the HS 2000 action, did my thing, filled and reshaped the bolt handle slot. They had too big a slot; I like a tighter fit for a more custom look. I shaped the mag well, flaired the lip. HS Precision factory stock is cut up for the mag, I like a straight line bottom profile, think it looks better. 6500 scope since replaced with a VX-6 2-12x42. 6500 went down the road, VX-6 mo better.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Still looking for a completed LH Legend, or comparable McMillan stock with a more open wrist/grip, similar to the Legend... Appreciate the PM's to-date.

DF, I also tinker with my painted stocks enough that I could probably benefit from buying unpainted, fitting, and then sending them back for paint. About 50% of the time, I have to open up the bolt slots to eliminate a contact point. Never huge work. But, enough that I have to touch up the paint. And then having to be anal about masking off for bedding. Would be much simpler without the paint.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Still looking for a completed LH Legend, or comparable McMillan stock with a more open wrist/grip, similar to the Legend... Appreciate the PM's to-date.

DF, I also tinker with my painted stocks enough that I could probably benefit from buying unpainted, fitting, and then sending them back for paint. About 50% of the time, I have to open up the bolt slots to eliminate a contact point. Never huge work. But, enough that I have to touch up the paint. And then having to be anal about masking off for bedding. Would be much simpler without the paint.

IMO, the only way to go with any other than McSwirly, McWoody, etc.

Too easy not to do.

DF

Edited to add, you save money, IIRC $39, if you tape the bedding and pad before returning it to McM.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/06/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are photos of the above posted HS rifle after I filled the bolt handle slot with Acraglas Gel, shaved down the ejection port area. I then taped the bedding and pad, sent it to McM. They returned it in a few weeks, painted perfectly. From the fill, you can see how large the bolt handle slot was. Looks better, IMO, with a tighter, custom fit, not a one size fits all slot.

The graphite Edge in the raw isn't very attractive, although some like it. I don't. BTW, there is no extra charge doing it this way, just postage one way to them, they cover the return.

Conquest now on another gun, VX-6 on this one.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/06/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Not sure what the green spot filler is that they use on the Edge fill stocks. However, I always end up with a small amount of bright green showing through at least one conspicuous spot by the time I get done tinkering with getting a rifle set up to my liking. Good info on the taping off the bedding and pad as well... The $39 savings on taping it off should more than cover the cost to ship it back to them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Not sure what the green spot filler is that they use on the Edge fill stocks.

"Don't ask, don't tell"... blush

I see it, too. A whole lot about that kinda stock making I know nothing about.

I just trust those guys to do it right and if problems occur, make it right.

So far, IME, McM CS has been stellar.

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Found one. Thank you !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.