GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
It is a spheroid

Depends on how one looks at it.

Only on 24hrCF. Everywhere else it is a spheroid.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's an oblate spheroid but quit splitting hares.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We do fur, fish and feathers anytime the seasons overlap! Never thought people didn't take advantage of all aspects when outdoors!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by irfubar
JeffO,

Maybe you should stick with activities like burning man. There you could smoke all the weed you want and oogle naked hippy chicks.

I find the way you are treating that antelope disgraceful. That unit is a premier trophy unit that takes years to draw. Many people covet that tag and hunt and would treat it with the respect it deserves and not be so cavalier about it.

You go on a lifetime hunt and don't have a proper camera? And spend time fishing? really?

And you plan to let the head rot in your yard. WTF?

Leave these tags for people who will appreciate them.

First you were making fun of him saying he'd have some long involved story, and shoot a dink. Neither of which happened.

So you were wrong, go ahead and admit it. Some people like to mount heads, some mount the horns. Some only care about horns and don't care about the meat which is the wrong way to think IMO. Some very good hunters mount neither head nor horns. It's really none of my business. That you're making it yours says more about you than it does about him.

And berating him for going fishing? Take a long step back.

Fair enough, it isn't a dink and Jeff did work hard and earn it.

I guess my point is if you are not interested in a trophy why not get a b tag in Wyoming?
Shoot all the does you legally can, enjoy the hunt the meat the experience etc...

My point regarding fishing was in my experience when a trophy hunt is the goal you stand a good chance of blowing the opportunity if you don't focus on the task at hand.
You can fish anytime, you cant hunt antelope in Oregon anytime.

Now fishing after your trophy is down is awesome and smart and makes for a great trip.

And you got to admit Jeff does and says wacky things that make a person think WTF?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=smokepole][quote=irfubar]JeffO,

Maybe you should stick with activities like burning man. There you could smoke all the weed you want and oogle naked hippy chicks.

I find the way you are treating that antelope disgraceful. That unit is a premier trophy unit that takes years to draw. Many people covet that tag and hunt and would treat it with the respect it deserves and not be so cavalier about it.

You go on a lifetime hunt and don't have a proper camera? And spend time fishing? really?

And you plan to let the head rot in your yard. WTF?

Leave these tags for people who will appreciate them.

So you should go home empty-handed unless you shoot the biggest buck extant?

I thought the purpose was to have a good time, which it sounds like Jeff did.

It was HIS hunt, not YOURS. He paid the freight and did it his way. As it should be.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jeff O is pro-left wing idiot and his hunting story sucked balls. Again.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Saw some cool rifles up there. I think having so many years to obsess over it leads to that. My favorite was a full custom 6.5 CM in a McMillan, about the same profile as my Bartlein #3 but with a Lilja, custom Remington-pattern action, forget which one, and a big Nightforce SHV. He liked my build (the fauX) a lot too; we could've traded and both been happy.

Nice rifles are, well, nice. But not necessarily necessary.

My tang-safety Ruger in .257 Roberts has been getting the job done for years and years. Not much special about it except it shoots great. Most special thing about it is the Leupold 3.5-10xAO Vari-X III mounted on top. Bought the rifle and scope separately, both used. A couple years ago I had Leupold install their Varmint hunter (or whatever they call it) reticle and vertical knob, so I now have quite a bit more in the scope (about $500) than I do in the rifle.

Last year I used my $295 used Savage FXP3 (synthetic stock/blue) and a 95g SST. Homely/ugly with a pretty plain scope (Burris FF-II 3-9x Ballistic Plex). But, dang – that thing can shoot! Same scope is on my All Weather Ruger Hawkeye in .280 Rem, which is what I used two years ago. Nothing special about that rifle either except it is also a very good shooter.

Don’t know which of the three I’ll take this year, but I’ll probably be obsessing on that until right before we go. Hell, obsessing is half the fun – and that fun often lasts a lot longer than the hunt itself. Congrats on your rifle, though – it sounds really nice.

Also saw (and heard) the usual rifle stupidity. Guys taking "500 yard!" shots... with no rangefinder. Rifles with wack-ass scopes on them mounted all weird. Etc.

Some guys are totally clueless. Right after the Ruger Scouts came out we met a guy in WY that claimed he had just taken his antelope with a’ 400-yard shot’ using his 5.56 Ruger Scout. When I asked about the hold-over he said he aimed ‘right at it’. This was before the Scouts with the ‘long’ 18” barrel were available, so it had to be the 16.1” version. When I asked what ammo he was using he got completely flustered - he had no idea about that, either.

If my .308 Scout shot that flat I could get rid of all my other rifles.

Congrats on your buck.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/18/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

And you got to admit Jeff does and says wacky things that make a person think WTF?

I will admit I've been known to bust Jeff's balls myself. I try to save that for when he does something truly wacky though. Fishing on a hunting trip and the like is far from that IMO.

I know that Jeff's politics get under a lot of people's skin here and he catches a lot of crap for that. But that's just the internet. If he was your neighbor or some guy you met in a bar most would just laugh and shrug off the politics, not go full retard.

And I do get a kick out of the nitwits on the freak show ("Hunter's" Campfire). Talk about living rent-free in someone's head. I really like the "call-out" threads: "No evidence of Russia Collusion, Jeff O goes on suicide watch."

I guess the joke's on them. Jeff wasn't on suicide watch, he was hunting, and killing a really nice buck while the nitwits were sitting at their keyboards. Just like I am now, LOL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Jeff O is pro-left wing idiot and his hunting story sucked balls. Again.

Travis

Maybe, but he is our kind of left wing idiot.
Congrats to Jeff on his pronghorn!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know that Jeff's politics get under a lot of people's skin here and he catches a lot of crap for that. But that's just the internet. If he was your neighbor or some guy you met in a bar most would just laugh and shrug off the politics, not go full retard.

And I do get a kick out of the nitwits on the freak show ("Hunter's" Campfire). Talk about living rent-free in someone's head.

Seems we might agree about Jeff. I don't understand why any thinking person would be on the political left.

As far as living rent free in your brain, yup, you can't seem to get me out of it. Your problem, not mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I will admit I've been known to bust Jeff's balls myself. I try to save that for when he does something truly wacky though. Fishing on a hunting trip and the like is far from that IMO.

And I do get a kick out of the nitwits on the freak show ("Hunter's" Campfire). Talk about living rent-free in someone's head. I really like the "call-out" threads: "No evidence of Russia Collusion, Jeff O goes on suicide watch."

I guess the joke's on them. Jeff wasn't on suicide watch, he was hunting, and killing a really nice buck while the nitwits were sitting at their keyboards. Just like I am now, LOL.

In the past JeffO and his post have been, shall we say entertaining. One thing he never did was personally attack another poster. He was essentially a nice guy, with goofy views.

Well since Trumps election Jeff seems to have grown a set and is emboldened. He isnt the "nice " guy anymore . He is the one who has gone full retard.

He has sided with the far left and has taken to calling conservatives out and questioning our patriotism etc....

Well if he wants to play that game, I say bring it. Cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!

Sucks that these threads are infected with politics but politics like it or not has touched every aspect of our lives.

We have let the left slide and ignored them in the past, they simply refuse to let us be and want to encroach on every aspect of our lives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As the Campfire turns....

Nice cape job Jeffy. Congrats on the buck.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Yep, only JeffO could turn a goat hunt into a 24 page goat rodeo. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

He has sided with the far left and has taken to calling conservatives out and questioning our patriotism etc....

Well, I missed that. On purpose. I agree that in the ideal world, politics wouldn't enter into these discussions at all.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Tanner

He gets LOTS of help from everyone here. You being one of the bigger contributors...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Tanner

He gets LOTS of help from everyone here. You being one of the bigger contributors...

Well ya.
Would be pretty crazy reading 24 pages of JeffO exclusivley. wink

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No doubt everyone got their money's worth of entertainment.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

When I'm proven right, and I will be, about Trump and/or campaign officials colluding with Russia, those guys will be falling all over themselves to acknowledge that and own all the vile crap they've tossed at me, because they are such honorable people operating in such good faith and all. Yeah right. crazy But let's respect THIS forum, and leave that talk for up on the loony forum or in PM's.

To the business at hand. Irfubar, I think you are just plain wrong from the git-go on this issue of respect for an animal's life. It's not "showing respect" to take a photo or to hang their preserved head on the wall; those actions are to stroke YOUR own needs and desires. They have nothing to do with respect for the life of the animal and everything to do with indulging one's own ego and doing a retroactive justification for same.

I am a predator. It's completely in-bounds for me to kill and eat another creature. I do not need to justify it with some kind of after the fact dog and pony show.

Respect is shown by doing one's best to kill the animal cleanly, and to not waste that life by say letting the meat rot or the like. I find many examples of blatant, yet accepted within the hunting community, DISrespect towards animal's live. The first example that comes to mind, and this will piss some people off but that's fine by me, is grizzly hunting, where the cape and head are taken and the meat left to rot. My good friend did just that, as do many (or even most) griz hunters as I understand it.

To your point, I'm sure they take lots of great photos and then get the thing mounted as a trophy on their wall. To my point, that's not fundamentally out of respect for the animal; it's to serve some need the hunter has, to scratch some personal itch. I'm not going to plumb the depths of the human psyche here but that kind of trophyism is, as far as I'm concerned, extremely disrespectful to the animal. Yet, it would appear that to YOU, that's the very pinnacle of respect. I suspect we are simply at loggerheads on that and further, that you ain't changing (or even examining) your position anytime soon.... so I'll leave it at that for the moment. If you want to mount a cogent defense of trophyism, then have at it. And I'll address what YOU type.

Secondarily, you are saying that I've somehow disrespected the tag itself. Since *I* know everything I did to get ready for it, that's kind of comical to me. But please, type more about that and we will address what YOU have to say. Rubbing my hands in anticipation here. wink

Finally, because I'm a bit of a troll and provocateur around here, let me finish by saying that any time you want to directly compare our measurables, you and I, in the realm of shooting and hunting, I'm all-in. Let me rephrase that. I challenge you to a hiking and shooting contest. And I think I'll whup up on you pretty decisively. Why is that relevant? Because as far as I'm concerned THAT is how one shows respect to the animal: by being physically ready to engage in a true fair-chase hunt, and by being as ready as a guy can be to execute a clean, humane kill. I've done that. Do you?

A couple factual corrections. I fished AFTER I filled my tag. I'm NOT leaving the antelope head in my yard so the dogs can chew on it. For my egotistical reasons I'd like to have a bare skull with horns on it as a momento of the experience. I thought hanging from a tree would do that; worked great for an elk and a big blacktail. Sounds like that might not work with antelope. I haven't yet decided if I care enough about my own personal trophyism/ego stroke needs to go to plan B.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Tanner

Thanks Tanner.

Like I even know what a cape job is..... lol

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.