Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Originally Posted by JGray
Well crap - just stopped at the local fun store to see if they knew anything about this one. They pulled up Lipsey's site and said there are 78 available and did I want to order one. Now there should be 77 available and I was told it should be here on Tuesday. They made it too damn easy...

You won't regret it. Not only an instant classic, but a hunting rifle you will use and enjoy.

When trying to decide which rifle to hunt with on any given day, I'm worse than a girl trying to pick an outfit to wear. This should make it easier (for this fall, at least).

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only 250 available, I just ordered one.from Don's Hobby guns for $930

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ouch - that's a better price than I got.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cash price was $939. Have never owned a 7x57. Was pondering one of the SS RSI's chambered .275 Rigby on GB. This solved the dilemma. NECG Peep enroute as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really nice looking rifle, but the stock cross bolt is totally unnecessary. Not worth the time and effort to install, particularly so on a light rifle. But, if you do install one, at least do it right and time the screw slots properly.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Cash price was $939. Have never owned a 7x57. Was pondering one of the SS RSI's chambered .275 Rigby on GB. This solved the dilemma. NECG Peep enroute as well.

I think you'll like that NECG sight. It's unobtrusive and fits the profile of the rifle. Another nice thing I've found is that if you remove it and then remount it so the screw slot is in the same position it comes back to zero. I've switched this off and on about three times now to do some load workup with a scope and then plink at 200 yard steel with the peep. It might not return to exactly .000" on but I'm not seeing any POI changes I can blame on the sight, plus I can't hold +- .000" variance from string to string with a peep sight anyway. wink

Hawkeye weight varies but based on a few samples I'd guess yours will run around 7 to maybe 7 1/4 lbs without a scope. Not a flyweight but not unduly heavy either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow...a beautiful rifle. And I don't see the price being out of line when compared with other wood/blued steel well made rifles, especially in a limited run production. Has the lower end rifles had such an effect on the prices of all firearms that when a rifle like this comes along that we believe it to be priced too high?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jim,

You done good on that one.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I try to avoid ordering wood stocked guns without seeing them first.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Or,have one made with the wood you picked out for the stock. But,that will cost more than $1300.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but c'mon, folks, this is a mass produced Ruger with a street price in the lower $900 range, not $1300. They aren't Miller/Biesen/Echols Custom Gunmaker Guild pieces. Sure it's a bit more than your average Model 70 or Model 700 standard but it's also a good bit less than an MRC 1999 ASR with a really plain jane Boyd's stock that retails for somewhere close to $1100 (MSRP $1364 for comparison) and which will weigh decidedly closer to 8 pounds w/o scope than 7. People are picking this thing apart because it's not guaranteed to have AAA walnut with the features of a hand made custom while at the same time costing close to a RAR. If we could still pay machinists 35 cents/hour we could still get hand made rifles for $200, but that's not realistic.

Rugers are what Rugers are - tough, working firearms (rifles and revolvers) that can be very attractive pieces. Heck, folks pay smiths $1000 or sometimes a lot more to turn Blackhawks into works of art. The M77's aren't as refined as some but they are a lot tougher and less prone to issues than some others made these days. If you know how to use a file or a stone their triggers can be easily rendered to a crisp 3 pound pull, and their out of the box accuracy is still sufficient for all but the most demanding super long range hunter. I had an unaltered straight out of the box M77 .308 out this morning for first load work up and the very first four shots out of this rifle went into .720" with three of those in .496" - that's with the issued 6 pound creepy trigger and speed bump. And while the wood isn't anything to write home about it's not plain at all, it's a decent piece of straight grained walnut with a damn sight more personality that my 1999 ASR with a stock and finish that looks like Walmart office furniture.

I think Lipsey's did real good with the classic design of this rifle at a price that most anyone can afford - those that want one. The folks that get these rifles are going to be really proud of them and you won't see too many on the used gun market any time soon.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very well spoken, Jim in Idaho.

Some people would bitch at their own hanging unless the rope was the finest available and was bought for cheap.

The age of the RAR and others like them have caused a lot of people to lose sight of what a nice looking and well made factory rifle looks like and costs in today's world. This is just my opinion, but I'd rather spend $900+ for a nice looking rife as opposed to spending $500 for something that might shoot good but looks cheap.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've got one headed my way.
Anticipation is a good thing!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but c'mon, folks, this is a mass produced Ruger with a street price in the lower $900 range, not $1300. They aren't Miller/Biesen/Echols Custom Gunmaker Guild pieces. Sure it's a bit more than your average Model 70 or Model 700 standard but it's also a good bit less than an MRC 1999 ASR with a really plain jane Boyd's stock that retails for somewhere close to $1100 (MSRP $1364 for comparison) and which will weigh decidedly closer to 8 pounds w/o scope than 7. People are picking this thing apart because it's not guaranteed to have AAA walnut with the features of a hand made custom while at the same time costing close to a RAR. If we could still pay machinists 35 cents/hour we could still get hand made rifles for $200, but that's not realistic.

Rugers are what Rugers are - tough, working firearms (rifles and revolvers) that can be very attractive pieces. Heck, folks pay smiths $1000 or sometimes a lot more to turn Blackhawks into works of art. The M77's aren't as refined as some but they are a lot tougher and less prone to issues than some others made these days. If you know how to use a file or a stone their triggers can be easily rendered to a crisp 3 pound pull, and their out of the box accuracy is still sufficient for all but the most demanding super long range hunter. I had an unaltered straight out of the box M77 .308 out this morning for first load work up and the very first four shots out of this rifle went into .720" with three of those in .496" - that's with the issued 6 pound creepy trigger and speed bump. And while the wood isn't anything to write home about it's not plain at all, it's a decent piece of straight grained walnut with a damn sight more personality that my 1999 ASR with a stock and finish that looks like Walmart office furniture.

I think Lipsey's did real good with the classic design of this rifle at a price that most anyone can afford - those that want one. The folks that get these rifles are going to be really proud of them and you won't see too many on the used gun market any time soon.

I'd also be willing to bet these Lipsey exclusive's look A-OK.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Granted some are going to have super sexy wood, I want to ensure I get one of those. laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Lord knows you love wood.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
TMI

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
This came from Ruger.

[Linked Image]

Boooooolschit.

Dave

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm a simple old public servant on a pension, but I am thinking that this is a rifle that it definitely worth having.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.