Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colorado bob
All I know is that I liked having the 375 Ruger when I went after AK grizzly bears.

Exactly! But wait, some here say a 243"AI" would be enough given proper shot placement!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have noticed that everything I killed, stopped.

But I've never shot anything bigger than a bull elk, or a good size bear, and they weren't charging. Close yes, with a couple of bears, but not charging.

Interesting discussion all.

Regards, Guy

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
All I know is that I liked having the 375 Ruger when I went after AK grizzly bears.

Exactly! But wait, some here say a 243"AI" would be enough given proper shot placement!

If you don't know, you don't know, and you don't know.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've only shot one "charging" animal, a 245-pound feral boar which was going to die soon from my previous shot. One 150-grain Speer Grand Slam from my .270 Winchester through the shoulder stopped everything.

The brown bear guides and African PH's I know (and trust) best prefer cartridges from .375 H&H up. They say cartridges above .40 in caliber tend to slow charging animals enough to get in another shot, but even with really big rounds the only way to be certain of literally stopping a charge is to hit the central nervous system.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"I liked having" is emotional, and I understand the appeal! But that doesn't mean that anything less would not "be enough". Enough for what? Enough to kill, or enough to stop? Sure, a .243AI can kill a grizz, but it's not enough to stop it with certainty with vital hits every time. But then again, no shoulder-fired rifle is. When we talk about stopping a charge, we're really banking on sufficient penetration and marksmanship to break down the CNS. Even crunching bone isn't enough to stop large animals every time, without failure. As MILES implied, we may be able to guarantee a stop if we hit a bear in the body (non-CNS) with a 20mm...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want some of those movie bullets. You know, the ones that when you get hit, it throws 'em through a wall, or makes 'em jump back 20 feet. That's not "stopping power but "reversing power. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kellory
I want some of those movie bullets. You know, the ones that when you get hit, it throws 'em through a wall, or makes 'em jump back 20 feet. That's not "stopping power but "reversing power. wink

It's especially true for movie shotgun shells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by kellory

It's especially true for movie shotgun shells.

Yep, those are awesome.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the spirit of fun, I posit a Mk211 Raufoss from a .50 BMG like the BFMI M82 CQC would largely disassemble a brown bear; 20mm style.

Same vein: if someone will pay for the trip, hunt et al, I believe I could deck a large bull elephant with a brain shot from my Aimpoint sighted Kimber .308 w Barnes 110 TTSX.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you don't know, you don't know, and you don't know.

psychic obviously..

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The brown bear guides and African PH's I know (and trust) best prefer cartridges from .375 H&H up. They say cartridges above .40 in caliber tend to slow charging animals enough to get in another shot, but even with really big rounds the only way to be certain of literally stopping a charge is to hit the central nervous system.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

And some here can say that a .260 Remington was enough. "Was," not "would be."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

If it "was" AI'd it "would be".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Go right ahead. My point, which obviously many here miss, is there is no doubt shot placement is #1, but... as I said, go right ahead...

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Zengela
Zerk, just curious, did you serve in the military?

No. I was a punk at 18.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why would someone want to shoot such a big stupid animal...I can see in defense of ones self...but to hunt one? Gimme a break

My guess is not to eat it...

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 08/03/17.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
Why would someone want to shoot such a big stupid animal...

My guess is not to eat it...

Then you'd be guessing wrong. EVERY BIT of that animal will be consumed, either by the hunting party or the local villages adjacent to or in the concession where the animal is taken. It's mandatory. Further, hippos kill more people than any other animal in Africa except crocs and of course mosquitoes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I thought he was talking about brown bears.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought he was talking about brown bears.

I thought he was referring and responding to the video. As to brown (or any bear), I'll just take the rug...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lol...i was talking about the hippo. Im just in a bad mood...ignore me

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.