Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
Lol...i was talking about the hippo. Im just in a bad mood...ignore me

so was I smile we need to dumb down our discussions ?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Probably not the direction you need to be going.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
All I know is that I liked having the 375 Ruger when I went after AK grizzly bears.

When I booked the hunt my guide said either my 30/06 or the 375 Ruger would be fine. The Ruger would be a better choice. I used factory ammo 270 grain Hornady SP. The bear was slightly quartering facing me. The bullet entered just inside her left shoulder & exited behind the right shoulder. It took out both lungs. The exit hole was about the size of a half dollar. She went about 30 yards before she piled up. The shot was right at 90 Yards.

Those minutes when we were looking for her after the shot were pure adrenaline. We were tossing rocks into the brush, saying "Hey Bear". Having the 375 in hand helped my confidence.

My guide carried a 416 Ruger with Barnes bullets.

With all that said----If I had to do it again I would use the 30/06 with 200 grain partitions. I've had that rifle for 40+ years and can shoot it "lights out". Put the 1st bullet in the boiler & things usually work out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Zengela
Zerk, just curious, did you serve in the military?

No. I was a punk at 18.

No kidding. Never would of guessed... whistle

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As I understand the term "stopping rifle" for African game, it goes like this... When taking on a charging elephant or buffalo, you aim for a brain shot, and kill them instantly with a CNS hit. If you miss the brain, with a "stopping rifle", it will either knock out or daze the animal...stopping it long enough for a precise follow up shot to the brain. Most stopping rifle calibers start with a "5" and are used with solids with a flat nose. This is the way it was explained to me, by my PH, in Zimbabwe. Pretty much follows what mule deer stated, above.

Andy3

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Phil Shoemaker saved himself and his client from a 900 lb. charging coastal grizzly with a 9mm pistol.

Its penetration and shot place all else is BS.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

thanks for your sage and wise counsel..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Phil Shoemaker saved himself and his client from a 900 lb. charging coastal grizzly with a 9mm pistol.

I just saw another guy kill a cape buffalo with a 10mm Dan Wesson, but if I ever make it to Alaska to hunt brown bear, I think I'll pass on the 9mm. Besides, it's not "AI"...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with the 9mm story, Phil has also told me (and written, I believe) that he prefers the .458 Winchester for following up wounded brown bears because it's a good compromise between portability, power, and how much it stuns bears. If I recall correctly, he's used cartridges up to the .505 Gibbs as backup on bears, but also stopped several charging, wounded browns with the .30-06.

I've found African PH's just about as varied in their opinions as Campfire members. Harry Selby, who has about as much experience as any, wrote fairly recently that he prefers the.416 Rigby over all other rounds--and the story that he "settled" for one because that was all they had a local gun store is a myth.

In 2011 I hunted with Luke Samaras safari company in Tanzania's Selous. Luke has as much experience as Selby; I believe he's 70 now, and started PH'ing in Kenya when it was still open to big game hunting, then went to Tanzania when Kenya closed--with a short stint of working for Rigby in England when Tanzania also closed briefly. Luke has a number of big rifles, including doubles, and has used quite a few others, but told me he also prefers a .416 Rigby bolt-action. His reasons are interesting: It provides plenty of penetration, even on elephant (Luke's favorite big game), but shoots flatter than many other larger-bore rounds, which can come in handy when shooting at a wounded lion running away at 200 yards. He doesn't think the extra power of larger .416's buys anything in killing power, but the extra recoil slows repeat shots--and for general BIG game back-up he prefers the extra magazine capacity of a bolt to the two quick shots of a double. Obviously, the .416 Rigby does not begin with a 5, yet two PH's with at least half a century of experience going back to Kenya each prefer it over anything else.

Many people assume that one PH's opinion is universal among PH's, and it isn't. I know at least a couple more very experienced PH's who firmly believe their clients should bring a .375 H&H for buffalo or elephant, and can back up their opinion with plenty of good evidence.

If anybody wants to read about the widely varying opinions of African PH's, they might take a look at both of Craig Boddington's SAFARI RIFLES books.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Big difference in stopping someone OR something that wants to kill you and you only wanting to kill something. A good center double lung shot will kill anything on the planet, given enough time. It will not kill say a charging grizzly in the time it takes the bear to you. It has been proven many times, heavy , well constructed bullets penetrate deeper making it more probable to get to the CNS or skeleton support system.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^All This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Killing, stopping OR even turning an animal that's hellbent for you on tonight's menu is where it's always been for me, whether hunting dangerous game or other game where the nasties live, I've always planned ahead for such an encounter, as remote as it may be, planned, planned hard and practiced nonetheless.

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by smokepole

thanks for your sage and wise counsel..

No worries, glad to help.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I just saw another guy kill a cape buffalo with a 10mm Dan Wesson, but if I ever make it to Alaska to hunt brown bear, I think I'll pass on the 9mm. Besides, it's not "AI"...

🔫 👍🏻

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Along with the 9mm story, Phil has also told me (and written, I believe) that he prefers the .458 Winchester for following up wounded brown bears because it's a good compromise between portability, power, and how much it stuns bears. If I recall correctly, he's used cartridges up to the .505 Gibbs as backup on bears, but also stopped several charging, wounded browns with the .30-06.

I've found African PH's just about as varied in their opinions as Campfire members. Harry Selby, who has about as much experience as any, wrote fairly recently that he prefers the.416 Rigby over all other rounds--and the story that he "settled" for one because that was all they had a local gun store is a myth.

In 2011 I hunted with Luke Samaras safari company in Tanzania's Selous. Luke has as much experience as Selby; I believe he's 70 now, and started PH'ing in Kenya when it was still open to big game hunting, then went to Tanzania when Kenya closed--with a short stint of working for Rigby in England when Tanzania also closed briefly. Luke has a number of big rifles, including doubles, and has used quite a few others, but told me he also prefers a .416 Rigby bolt-action. His reasons are interesting: It provides plenty of penetration, even on elephant (Luke's favorite big game), but shoots flatter than many other larger-bore rounds, which can come in handy when shooting at a wounded lion running away at 200 yards. He doesn't think the extra power of larger .416's buys anything in killing power, but the extra recoil slows repeat shots--and for general BIG game back-up he prefers the extra magazine capacity of a bolt to the two quick shots of a double. Obviously, the .416 Rigby does not begin with a 5, yet two PH's with at least half a century of experience going back to Kenya each prefer it over anything else.

Many people assume that one PH's opinion is universal among PH's, and it isn't. I know at least a couple more very experienced PH's who firmly believe their clients should bring a .375 H&H for buffalo or elephant, and can back up their opinion with plenty of good evidence.

If anybody wants to read about the widely varying opinions of African PH's, they might take a look at both of Craig Boddington's SAFARI RIFLES books.

No disagreement here. I'm also a 416 fan and I've shot 505's and own a 458 Watts and I prefer the 416. In my experience the larger bore hit harder and do tend to slow the animals quicker, but the difference isn't nightband day.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot depends on the bullets too. I've seen a .458 Lott absolutely unimpress a wounded water buffalo, because the solids didn't hit the central nervous system.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A lot depends on the bullets too. I've seen a .458 Lott absolutely unimpress a wounded water buffalo, because the solids didn't hit the central nervous system.

Bullets are definitely important!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I read an article by Don Heath about stopping buffalo where he said he didn't see any or enough of a difference in performance between the 9.3x62 and the .416s and .470s to justify the bigger rounds. His experience was you had to shoot a .500 of some sort to get a noticeably greater effect. I sure miss his writing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And caliber. Guess he should have been using some sort of "AI" round...

Against the preceding quiet, the .375 H&H went off like an artillery piece. It acted like one, too. The bull dropped as though his legs had turned to pool noodles.

I cycled, hard, and reacquired. The grass was tall enough that there wasn’t a shot at the downed bull, but Atlantic City wasn’t taking any odds on what his two friends were going to think about this. Indeed, there’s plenty of precedent for buff acting like the Gotti family when one of their own gets whacked. I remained acutely aware that a buff with a purpose can cover 15 yards a second, and we were at most 40 yards from them.

To my happy amazement, they didn’t seem to think much of anything. They looked languidly around.

But not so the downed bull. He sprang back up like a toaster Pop-Tart. Before he could convert that rally into something more directed, I whacked him again, in pretty close to the same place. Again, he dropped as if legless. I topped off quick, got back in battery, and went back to scrutinizing his friends, who remained astonishingly disinterested in the proceedings.

Back up came the Pop-Tart.

Every time he sprang back up, things were looking worse. First, it meant that the downed bull had the full load of adrenaline in him. And every time I had to whack him again, it meant he had another opportunity to figure out where the rounds were coming from and decide to take umbrage. Likewise, the fact that his compadres hadn’t thrown in with him yet was absolutely no comfort. They might have a change of heart at any instant. With all that pressing on my consciousness, I did the only thing I could do under the circumstances and hit him again, also through the boiler room.

Bang, down again, and sproing, this time he almost flew out of the toaster. All three were now looking around. And then they began to move.

After an instant of adrenal fire hosing, I realized that the movement wasn’t aggressive, and it wasn’t even toward us—they began a slow shuffle off to the east. Two deep breaths, one half out, careful careful careful careful sight picture, this time on the spine, track and slowly squeeze.

The fourth round off.

source

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In terms of an all around African rifle, IMO, you simply can't go wrong with a well made .416 Rigby. It isn't perfect, but it comes close. I have found it to be too much gun for lion (at least with a Swift A-Frame), but that is a story for another time. Up close and when following up wounded DG, I prefer a double; not because it is a better stopper, but because it gives you access to an instant and assured second shot without having to manipulate a bolt. I am aware of an informal study that says that four shots out of a .416 magazine rifle is just as quick as four shots out of a double, but it's the second shot that gives a double the advantage in a tight spot.

I don't remember who said it first, but I agree with the dictum that "life begins at .40".

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

And caliber. Guess he should have been using some sort of "AI" round...

Against the preceding quiet, the .375 H&H went off like an artillery piece. It acted like one, too. The bull dropped as though his legs had turned to pool noodles.

I cycled, hard, and reacquired. The grass was tall enough that there wasn’t a shot at the downed bull, but Atlantic City wasn’t taking any odds on what his two friends were going to think about this. Indeed, there’s plenty of precedent for buff acting like the Gotti family when one of their own gets whacked. I remained acutely aware that a buff with a purpose can cover 15 yards a second, and we were at most 40 yards from them.

To my happy amazement, they didn’t seem to think much of anything. They looked languidly around.

But not so the downed bull. He sprang back up like a toaster Pop-Tart. Before he could convert that rally into something more directed, I whacked him again, in pretty close to the same place. Again, he dropped as if legless. I topped off quick, got back in battery, and went back to scrutinizing his friends, who remained astonishingly disinterested in the proceedings.

Back up came the Pop-Tart.

Every time he sprang back up, things were looking worse. First, it meant that the downed bull had the full load of adrenaline in him. And every time I had to whack him again, it meant he had another opportunity to figure out where the rounds were coming from and decide to take umbrage. Likewise, the fact that his compadres hadn’t thrown in with him yet was absolutely no comfort. They might have a change of heart at any instant. With all that pressing on my consciousness, I did the only thing I could do under the circumstances and hit him again, also through the boiler room.

Bang, down again, and sproing, this time he almost flew out of the toaster. All three were now looking around. And then they began to move.

After an instant of adrenal fire hosing, I realized that the movement wasn’t aggressive, and it wasn’t even toward us—they began a slow shuffle off to the east. Two deep breaths, one half out, careful careful careful careful sight picture, this time on the spine, track and slowly squeeze.

The fourth round off.

source

So how do you explain it, when the exact same happens with a 500?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jorge:

That gentleman you quoted writes in the same style as the late, lamented, Peter Hathaway Capstick. Thanks for referencing the source. I'll buy his book.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 39 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.