G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why not ask smart a--?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seen the factories, met the people, worked with them. Friendly, capable and have a plan. They not only want to have it all but to sustain their super growth will pursue, purchase and consume all we hold dear including our sacride land and game. Very difficult to live with out them these days but if any group of Americans have the ability for self preservation it is hunters. It is in our blood, wake up and watch your back trail!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never found a need for a Vortex. I did put one on a rifle I bought for my grandson. It wasn't as nice as a Redfield Revolution I paid the same amount for. I honestly have a mental block due to the name brand. Vortex? Who names their optics company after the swirl in the bottom of the toilet?

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Strange, Vortex is now the largest Sports Optics company in the World... They built a new factory just to build scopes... but now everything is going to be made in China?

Since you've mentioned this a few times before, what source do you have to verify this claim? They may well be, just curious. I figured it would be Nikon, Bushnell, or someone similar.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Strange, Vortex is now the largest Sports Optics company in the World... They built a new factory just to build scopes... but now everything is going to be made in China?

Since you've mentioned this a few times before, what source do you have to verify this claim? They may well be, just curious. I figured it would be Nikon, Bushnell, or someone similar.

I myself seriously doubt Vortex is the largest. Bushnell or Nikon would be my guess.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am a bit amused about this Made in China stuff. As we all know companies are looking for ways to enrich their pockets. With this many choices we have today I have no problem with a company sending their stuff to be made in China. Obviously it has to work for them (i.e. make more money on each product they sell) for them to do this. What miffs me is they are supposedly lessen the quality of their product and at the same time enriching their pockets. IMO if you are going to send something to be made in China then they should pass the buck on to us while they make a bit more money.

Take for example. Someone at work says he refused to buy a Toyota Tacoma cuz the parent company is not of the US. And I said but the truck is made in Kentucky and its American workers that have the jobs in Kentucky.

I have never bought any of the Vortex scopes and doubt I will. I have tried Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold and they all have worked for me. I know we live in a global economy and parts of everything may be made all across the world. But I chose to spend my money as I see fit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Nixon is not even close and losing ground faster than any other. Leopold has been top for many years, but last year Vortex stepped ahead and it was published a number of places. It was announced at the NBA Convention first and I saw it in print and in emailed press releases. They were not quite to Leupolds previous 100M but close and Leupolds had lost a lot of ground.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I myself seriously doubt Vortex is the largest. Bushnell or Nikon would be my guess.

Bushnell is bigger than Nikon, but we'll short of Leupold.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just a couple observations

I think there is lots of talk about how we hate China,but if we look at weekly purchases I bet we all buy a fair amount of Chinese. It just so happens that in this we have a choice IE Nikon (the Japanese are my favorites) Leupold Bushnelle( the Philips)Burris (lots of Philips)
Kind of like I have a choice in pocket knives I will NOT carry Chinese

I think Vortex is not very good to thier retailers the reason I say that is there are many groups that can do a group buy from them IE here in MI we have a site called Michigan gun Owners they had a group buy Why? They are not retailers and invest thousands in stock The whore thier products to anyone that can fog a mirror
I think that is part of how they got as noteworthy as they have

In fairness and truth I have a few Vortex scopes of course these are better than Simmions Chinese I think the Chinese can build good stuff
I just dont like buying Chinese period but I have for sure

Last how many of us our watching our 401Ks and brokerage accounts cheering them on because they are doing great and one of the reasons is the napkin factory or the bolt company took jobs to China or Korea

Guys this is so complex and Vortex is just a grain of sand

And Yes we live in a world economy like it or not

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
There is a small trend to come back. Foxconn will make LCD screens in US, first in US. Nisan, I beleive is adding a plant. Is it enough to make a difference I dunno. Foxconn 10k jobs will make a diffrence to the area, that is for sure.

I only buy Leupold cause made in US. Granted some people can not afford to, or don't care.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/05/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Nixon is not even close and losing ground faster than any other. Leopold has been top for many years, but last year Vortex stepped ahead and it was published a number of places. It was announced at the NBA Convention first and I saw it in print and in emailed press releases. They were not quite to Leupolds previous 100M but close and Leupolds had lost a lot of ground.

OK thanks. How about some links?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
IMO, the problem is not the product being manufactured in China, but that they often move production to China to lower costs after they have established a decent reputation. China can produce quality items, but when companies are trying to cut costs, they generally reduce their standards.

My Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinder was made in China, but it has been made their since the beginning and built its reputation on it. I'd prefer it to be made in the US or Europe, but I have faith in its quality based on the research I've done.

LaCrosse and Xtratuf boots used to be made here, but since moving production to China, they've turned into garbage. There are ton so of reviews on their own websites stating that the new boots have failed in less than a year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vortex changing their "no questions asked" warranty by this time next year either.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Unless I absolutely have to I will not buy a Chinese made anything. I would rather pay more and not enrich an enemy of the US.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gatogrizz27
IMO, the problem is not the product being manufactured in China, but that they often move production to China to lower costs after they have established a decent reputation. China can produce quality items, but when companies are trying to cut costs, they generally reduce their standards.

My Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinder was made in China, but it has been made their since the beginning and built its reputation on it. I'd prefer it to be made in the US or Europe, but I have faith in its quality based on the research I've done.

LaCrosse and Xtratuf boots used to be made here, but since moving production to China, they've turned into garbage. There are ton so of reviews on their own websites stating that the new boots have failed in less than a year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vortex changing their "no questions asked" warranty by this time next year either.

I see it as more of a way to keep their no questions asked warranty. It's not hard to keep such a warranty if your profit margin allows you to replace an item 5 times and still make a profit.

I've already heard several stories with junk replaced with more junk. I would rather just buy a quality piece one time. Several other scope manufacturers have just as good a warranty as Vortex as long as you aren't purposely destroying stuff,which no one should be doing anyway.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pair of viper 6x32's and I like them a lot. Also have Zeiss FL's and Leica geovids and ultravids so I know what good glass is.
Won't buy anymore vortex stuff though.

MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by boatammo
I have a pair of viper 6x32's and I like them a lot. Also have Zeiss FL's and Leica geovids and ultravids so I know what good glass is.
Won't buy anymore vortex stuff though.

You wont buy an item that you know to be quality, based on an internet rumour with little to no basis in truth? Got it...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad

You wont buy an item that you know to be quality, based on an internet rumour with little to no basis in truth? Got it...

What specifically do you not believe, and consider to be internet rumor?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have owned 2 sets of Vortex Razor Binos 8x42 and a 10x50. I thought they were nice optics but having owned Alpha binos before I could not be satisfied .I got them at a significant discount and would not buy them again even if they were lower priced. They have a stellar warranty but so do a number of companies that have higher rated products with I might add better resale value if you care to offload them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Vortex Viper on my 22-250 and it works well on that squirrel or targets at less than 200 yards typically. We have a Crossfire on daughters 243 that sees a little target use. My trust in their product line is minimal based on reputation and experience so far and they would not make it to a real hunting rifle of mine used for something bigger than varmints.

I've sent back products from Vortex, they were replaced. The last thing I sent back was a Leupold spotter and it came back fogged the first time but did get repaired properly eventually. The experience hasn't soured me on Leupold but it confirmed that optics don't always work and aren't even handled correctly by the big dog in US optics.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hillbill
all of our good ole Leupolds have Chinese glass.

How do you know this?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

740 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.