Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider

What specifically do you not believe, and consider to be internet rumor?

The statement that "all Vortex optics are now made in China." Thats sheer silliness...

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by hillbill
all of our good ole Leupolds have Chinese glass.

How do you know this?

+1 pretty sure Leupold sources their glass like everyone else does. There are not a whole lot of quality glass manufacturers and polishers in this world that could build VX-6 or VX-6HD glass.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've always kind of associated Votrtex as the 2nd coming of Simmons.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Vortex suffers from the same stigma as Bushnell....they market ultra cheap junk, as well as extremely high quality items. The Razor scopes put them on the map in the PRS world, and the Gen 2 Razor solidified that position. Much the same as Bushnell with their LOW sourced Tactical scopes. Good stuff, diluted by clamshell packages on a Walmart shelf. Regardless, I dont see Vortex taking one of the best selling tactical scopes on the market and shipping it to China....Even the Chinese pimps Athlon keep their Flagship Cronus in Japan...

Vortex would have been better off spinning the PST and Razor lines into their own brand.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Interesting thread, had to get a scope https://goo.gl/sr7yKx reading the thread decided for a Leupold . We are now in a global economy, and want the best quality for the best price, yet all these jobs in the US...

Last edited by Volatil; 08/06/17.
IC B2

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by horse1
I've always kind of associated Votrtex as the 2nd coming of Simmons.

+1

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I believe some long range hunters usesome of their higher end scopes. I have gotten then impression some believe Leupold has not kept up with technolgy. For the shooting I do, doesn't matter, will choose American made.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never been a fan, I have an old pair of their 6X binoc's I bought from doug on closeout. Not bad glass, I use it early season. Not sure I would slum a leupold anymore, but there are many midpriced options, the Tract business model looks interesting and apparently a good product.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
China is in dire need for our food production and our farm land!
Estimates seem to indicate 15 - 20 billion in USA land purchases annually.
In its fervor to secure timber, China is increasingly seen as a predator
on the worlds Forests.
Yes we live in a global market and yes we are dependent are a lot of
their goods. Nice to know most of the folks around the campfire have
a clue and last thing we need is to be too dependent.
"He who does not ask remains a fool forever"
Old Chinese proverb.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a Viper 6.5 - 20 and a Viper PST 2.5 -10. Both say "Made in the Philippines." No problems so far, but we'll see how they hold up over the long run.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a new Vortex Diamondback spotter to use at the range and it would not focus out past about 160 yards. I called Vortex and they said to send it back. They returned it in less than 10 business days with a replacement scope. The replacement was just as bad. I'll keep using my old Pentax. I know the Diamondback is their cheap equipment line but dang it is poor quality.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 08/07/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never thought they were worth buying when they were made in Japan.

Ding, ding . . . . Winner, winner, chicken dinner !

As an aside, I don't know how many people I've heard suggest that they (Vortex) were made in Wisconsin. To this point, the the warranty service comes out of Wisconsin, but as of yet there hasn't been a Vortex made, even assembled in Wisconsin. That, supposedly is going to change . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got a new Vortex Razor HD 27-60x80 spotting scope...says assembled in USA on bottom

It seems really sharp to me but I will test it out tomorrow spotting antelope.

Rob
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WiFowler

As an aside, I don't know how many people I've heard suggest that they (Vortex) were made in Wisconsin. To this point, the the warranty service comes out of Wisconsin, but as of yet there hasn't been a Vortex made, even assembled in Wisconsin. That, supposedly is going to change . . . .

Not remotely true. The AMG line is built here in the good ol' USA....and to think the Razor HD isnt "worth buying" is ludicrous. Easily one of the best scopes on the market in its category.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I worked on the jobsite pouring the tip up panels for the main building. The company I work for has a crew there now working on phase 2. According to the Vortex people I had a chance to talk to last summer, they want to move in and start assembly of some products in 2018 with the goal of eventually losing the "made in China" entirely.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I still don't own a Vortex product, but IF they start US production, I'll try one.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

I worked on the jobsite pouring the tip up panels for the main building. The company I work for has a crew there now working on phase 2. According to the Vortex people I had a chance to talk to last summer, they want to move in and start assembly of some products in 2018 with the goal of eventually losing the "made in China" entirely.

Crazy how truth rarely echoes gunshop rumour...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I still don't own a Vortex product, but IF they start US production, I'll try one.

Well then, buy an AMG!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/quote]
Originally Posted by liliysdad
[quote=JGRaider]I never thought they were worth buying when they were made in Japan.

Not remotely true. The AMG line is built here in the good ol' USA....and to think the Razor HD isnt "worth buying" is ludicrous. Easily one of the best scopes on the market in its category.

Hmm, I'm detecting a bit of a contradiction here. Are the AMGs built in Wisconsin? Judging by what CowboyTim passed along, I'd say they (AMGs) where not. If in fact they are not, then my previous statement stands true, and Lillysdad needs to reconsider his definition of 'remotely true'.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Hmm, I'm detecting a bit of a contradiction here. Are the AMGs built in Wisconsin? Judging by what CowboyTim passed along, I'd say they (AMGs) where not. If in fact they are not, then my previous statement stands true, and Lillysdad needs to reconsider his definition of 'remotely true'.

Pathetic that you would want to perpetuate total bullshit when the obvious truth has been available for months. The basic claim that Vortex never did anything in the WI has been false for a much longer time. But do not let that stop you from checking the "clueless" box on your application.

And, yes the AMGs are built in WI. And no, that does not mean assembled, like a Leupold, it means made. The reticle on some are the only parts not made in WI.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.