Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between 338-06 and 338 Win Mag rifles. Is it feasible to reload 200-210 grain loads in a win mag (say 2600 fps) with reduced recoil?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike
HR IC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. Try around 60 grains of H4895.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Mule Deer! I'm new to the forums and reloading. I'll give it a shot.

Mike
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I used to run 35.o gr SR-4759 behind the 200 Horny flat point(.33 Win bullet) for deer. I estimated it ran 2,200 fps. Got about 1" groups at 75 yds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've run that one, 35 grains of SR 4759...with 200 grainers...

Even shot it up to 40 grains of it, with 200 grainers for 2400 fps.

Check cast bullet manuals, 4198 and 3031 loads also will yield the 2500 fps range or more...
with 200-210-215 grain bullets.

and of course as always, Mule Deer's load recommendation is a good one...

plenty of options, pick your flavor...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also consider rifle weight and handling while making your choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
OP Offline
M
I really appreciate the advice. Now if I can just kick myself hard enough I might just manage to decide which caliber to purchase a rifle in for my elk hunt next year(280 AI, 338-06, 338 Rem Mag, 8x57js, and 35 Whelen)...

Mike

Mike
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm using 68.5 grains of RL16 for about 2750 fps with a Nosler Partition 210 grain. Recoil is tolerable, even in my lightweight Remington 700 338 Win Mag. I also have used 64.5 grains of RL15 for about the same velocity. Another option would be 185 grain Barnes bullets. I bought a box but probably won't try them until after hunting season is over.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I load 338wm for my BIL, 'normal' loads just tag the crap out of him.

I have a supply of 'old' Nosler Partitions that I load at around 2450fps, RL-19, IIRC, he loves them, very accurate, and very deadly..............

Nothing quite like big ole bullets at what most think is pedestrian in velocity!

Last edited by muffin; 08/09/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A nephew asked me to load some 225gr loads for his 338Win but they kicked a little too much.

We adjusted and he's liking the same bullets with 60gr of IMR4064 at 2625fps.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mchljrdn
I really appreciate the advice. Now if I can just kick myself hard enough I might just manage to decide which caliber to purchase a rifle in for my elk hunt next year(280 AI, 338-06, 338 Rem Mag, 8x57js, and 35 Whelen)...

Mike

All these will work. If I were leaving for a elk hunt tomorrow. It would be the 8x57 with a 200 grain partition, or my 30-06 with a 180 grain partition. These are the rifles I hunt with the most currently. One of the new tikka's in 8mm would be a nice rig. If I was buying a rifle tomorrow for an elk hunt it would be a 30-06 lots of factory ammo for the job(if you don't handload). Most snobs will tell you the 30-06 is boring. It has been working for 100+years. Also I would think about how long of a shot and how much recoil can you handle. 338 win mag, or 338 rum, kick a whole lot more than the other 4 you have listed. If you dont have alot of experience or can not take the time to learn how to shoot that big of a rifle. Go with one of the standard calibers. 308 win or 7mm 08 will also do the job.

M
OP Offline
M

Mike[/quote]
All these will work. If I were leaving for a elk hunt tomorrow. It would be the 8x57 with a 200 grain partition, or my 30-06 with a 180 grain partition. These are the rifles I hunt with the most currently. One of the new tikka's in 8mm would be a nice rig. If I was buying a rifle tomorrow for an elk hunt it would be a 30-06 lots of factory ammo for the job(if you don't handload). Most snobs will tell you the 30-06 is boring. It has been working for 100+years. Also I would think about how long of a shot and how much recoil can you handle. 338 win mag, or 338 rum, kick a whole lot more than the other 4 you have listed. If you dont have alot of experience or can not take the time to learn how to shoot that big of a rifle. Go with one of the standard calibers. 308 win or 7mm 08 will also do the job. [/quote]

Great advice! Once upon a time I was a competitive shooter and DM. I'm okay with the recoil - I just like to spare my shoulder if I don't need it. Ballistically - I love where the 338-06 is at but to say ammo is scarce is an understatement. I was thinking the .338 Win Mag would give me the option to walk into the local store if I needed. I want practice on a heavier round in preparation for some dangerous game / crappy terrain hunts. I absolutely love 7mm-08 and it's been my go to for years.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Mike

Mike
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mike

All these will work. If I were leaving for a elk hunt tomorrow. It would be the 8x57 with a 200 grain partition, or my 30-06 with a 180 grain partition. These are the rifles I hunt with the most currently. One of the new tikka's in 8mm would be a nice rig. If I was buying a rifle tomorrow for an elk hunt it would be a 30-06 lots of factory ammo for the job(if you don't handload). Most snobs will tell you the 30-06 is boring. It has been working for 100+years. Also I would think about how long of a shot and how much recoil can you handle. 338 win mag, or 338 rum, kick a whole lot more than the other 4 you have listed. If you dont have alot of experience or can not take the time to learn how to shoot that big of a rifle. Go with one of the standard calibers. 308 win or 7mm 08 will also do the job. [/quote]

Great advice! Once upon a time I was a competitive shooter and DM. I'm okay with the recoil - I just like to spare my shoulder if I don't need it. Ballistically - I love where the 338-06 is at but to say ammo is scarce is an understatement. I was thinking the .338 Win Mag would give me the option to walk into the local store if I needed. I want practice on a heavier round in preparation for some dangerous game / crappy terrain hunts. I absolutely love 7mm-08 and it's been my go to for years.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Mike[/quote]
Mike,

If shooting your .338WM at the range for extended periods of time, use a rifle rest similar to this one (has a strap in front). Buy a bag of lead shot (around 20 pounds or so) for it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/394466/caldwell-lead-sled-solo-rifle-shooting-rest

Also, you may want to take a look at a .338WM Ruger Hawkeye Guide gun like this one:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47117.html

Or the African if you like matte black:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

I have the latter, but without a muzzle brake. The stock of mine is a McMillan Classic that I ordered with a Decelerator recoil pad, and a LOP of 12-1/2". The Leopold scope I have on it has plenty of eye relief, which is a good thing since all recoiling rifles one should pull it tightly against one's shoulder before shooting. The .338WM is quite popular in the interior of Alaska where shots can be close and far at times.

Last edited by Ray; 08/09/17.
M
OP Offline
M
Anybody have any experience with reduced loads in a BAR? Have a line on a nice Browning BAR in .338 but I have to wonder if cycling will be an issue.

THanks,

Mike

Mike
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody have any experience with reduced loads in a BAR? Have a line on a nice Browning BAR in .338 but I have to wonder if cycling will be an issue.

THanks,

Mike

Mike,

I imagine that your BAR works better on normal instead of reduced loads. If recoil bothers you, try some regular loads with lighter weight bullets, since as the ammo goes up on bullet weight, recoil is increases. Or just have a Decelerator recoil pad installed.

Better explained here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_bullet_velocity_trajectory.htm

Last edited by Ray; 08/12/17.
O
O
Originally Posted by Ray

THanks,

Mike

Mike,

I imagine that your BAR works better on normal instead of reduced loads. If recoil bothers you, try some regular loads with lighter weight bullets, since as the ammo goes up on bullet weight, recoil is increases. Or just have a Decelerator recoil pad installed.

Better explained here:

Also, the BARs reduce the recoil a bit. Part of the gas pressure is used to cycle the bolt, and there is noticeably less felt recoil. Not to say it would be as much as a reduced load, but it will be less than the same load out of a similar weight bolt action.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ohio_jeff
Originally Posted by Ray

THanks,

Mike

Mike,

Better explained here:

Also, the BARs reduce the recoil a bit. Part of the gas pressure is used to cycle the bolt, and there is noticeably less felt recoil. Not to say it would be as much as a reduced load, but it will be less than the same load out of a similar weight bolt action.

Agree. Also, the BAR is a heavy rifle, which helps with recoil. I would not use reduced loads; instead I would use a lighter .338 bullet and load the ammo to a standard velocity. Otherwise I would have a knowledgeable gunsmith come up with a good stock LOP taking into account a Decelerator recoil pad.

Finally, I would never shoot any hard-recoiling rifle for extended periods of time at the range without a good rifle rest. In this case, the recoil is absorbed by the rest since the recoil pad is not tightly against one shoulder, but on the rest itself. The rest is tight against my shoulder, but a 15 or 20-pound lead-shot bag placed on the rest's tray absorbs most of the recoil.

Last edited by Ray; 08/12/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (25aught6, 10Glocks, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 65 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,466
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.