OP Offline
M

Mike
HR IC

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Here's my perspective, as someone who's < 2 years in, as far as pulling the press lever myself:

I have a good, and knowledgeable friend (who also happens to be a member here), who suggested starting with a Lee kit, and I've not been disappointed. It was nearing Christmas, and places had the Breech Lock Challenger Kit on sale. I was skeptical of the cheap-looking powder measure and beam scale that came with it, but they've been really accurate. The primer tool looks hokey, but it also works just fine.

The other items I purchased were:
* Barnes #4 manual (pick whichever you like, then check out others from the library). I also got Lyman's 50th.
* The Big Book of Gun Gack (an excellent resource - cuts through lots of BS, and points you immediately to the most important things)
* Lee case trimmer studs for each cartridge (Easier than the trimming setup the kit is designed for)
* Hornady digital caliper (no doubt the same one as many places offered, but I figured Hornady would be better about standing behind it if it took a dump)
* Hornady powder trickler (overpriced and unnecessary - I can do just fine with a whiskey tumbler and a teaspoon).
* Grip-n-Pull bullet puller (I'd forego this, and just use wire cutters - the pulled bullets will still shoot just fine)
* RCBS Casemaster gauging tool (expensive, but worth it)
* TruAngle Tool (inexpensive, and worth it - I can fix what the Casemaster says is broken).
* RCBS dies (I already owned them when a friend did the reloading, and they work just fine in the Lee Press)
* Hornady One Shot case lube (easy, less messy, and never had a problem).

I do NOT have a tumbler, or any other cleaning equipment. I'm not shooting high enough volume to be bothered with it. If I want to wipe off any case lube reside (or usually just the sharpie marker I use to label rounds during load development), a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol is more than adequate.

What I can't do: high volume stuff, or fairly fast stuff.

What I can do: Make surprisingly accurate ammo for each rifle that passes through the safe.

Since I don't shoot high-volume .223/5.56 or handgun, this setup has been excellent for me. The only thing I'd do differently is to not have purchased a couple items. I feel this was a good way to ease myself into reloading, and that I can always add higher-volume equipment if I decide to go that route in the future.

Good luck!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Looking at your list.....never seen the need for a turret press........

Buy a Rockchucker......call it good.......

bullet puller......buy a RCBS hammer type.......comes with 3 collet pullers

You'll need a stuck case remover........believe me......

308 Lee dies........they will work well......Forster & Redding are better

shop around for an electronic dial caliper...$25 start.....

priming tool.......RCBS bench top........the cats azz..........

Lyman Turbo tumblers work well.......buy your media at Pets Mart (lizard litter)

I use spray Turtle wax in media....add dryer sheet to keep dust down

powder measure.......buy once/cry once...... Redding BR.......

I like the Nosler or Hornady manuals.........also look online & print data free from powder mfg..

post an ad here in the ads.........'WTB' reloading stuff for 308........lotta guys...like me.......

have extra stuff laying around and will help you get started for less $$$$$$...

I shoot alot........reload alot.........started my reloading hobby in '73.......

takes time to gather up all the extra gadgets......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd make a few suggestions but 5sdad will call me an elitist. grin

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Save yourself some money and forget:

Caliper
Separate priming devices
Electronic scale, get a balance scale, it won't break down or need calibration
Collet puller, inertia puller is universal

A good press and dies will get you years into reloading. The myth that you need separate priming tool is ridiculous, you can seat primers in the press and still tell if they are fully seated. Case lube is a must and many of the spray lubes will work on your 308 sized cases.

Keep it simple and you can load for years or until you find out you need to upgrade to a progressive press for high quantity reloading.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Forget the caliper? Huh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little different view. I use a Lee perfect powder measure ( measure,) and have for years. I check with the scale often and it is always on the money. I also like the old Lee hand primers. The one with the round tray. Ditto Lee case length gauges and cutters. The one where you put the cutter in a drill or electric screwdriver. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 08/10/17.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basics are. Press and dies
Scale
Calipers
Trimmer
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As posted. I'd go with a beam scale to get started, nix the hand primer , go with RCBS Rock Chucker press .Rather than a turret press since you don't do high volume.

Invest in three good reloading manuals. I'd say Norma, Lyman and Hornady

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start off with an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit and then flesh out from there. It's still the best deal out there.

see Should I Reload? PT 1

and Should I Reload? Pt 2

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

watch for free shipping deals like Brownells........

$10 off $99 order & free shipping...

yes.......presses take standard 7/8 x 14 dies.........

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/50th-anniversary-kit-prod54177.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-kit-prod79994.aspx

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mathman

You pretty much have to make suggestions now...

Mike

Mike
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mchljrdn
Originally Posted by mathman

You pretty much have to make suggestions now...

Mike

Dies: Put the Lee collet neck sizer together with a Redding body die and a Forster seater.

Powder measure: Redding BR-30, or one from Harrell's.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
After 40+ years of reloading, I'll disagree with some of the others here (but never with mathman).

Ditch the electronic scale idea, get a good beam scale and a trickler. {P.S. Lee doesn't qualify as a good beam scale.} {P.P.S. You don't need to weigh every charge.}

Don't buy a hammer-type puller. They break after a while and loosen bullets from the core. Collet puller is good and faster once you get the hang of it. Also doesn't ruin your bullets.

You didn't mention bullet lubes, Imperial and Hornady Unique are good. Used properly and you will probably never need a stuck case remover.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
After 40+ years of reloading, I'll disagree with some of the others here (but never with mathman).

Ditch the electronic scale idea, get a good beam scale and a trickler. {P.S. Lee doesn't qualify as a good beam scale.} {P.P.S. You don't need to weigh every charge.}

Don't buy a hammer-type puller. They break after a while and loosen bullets from the core. Collet puller is good and faster once you get the hang of it. Also doesn't ruin your bullets.

You didn't mention bullet lubes, Imperial and Hornady Unique are good. Used properly and you will probably never need a stuck case remover.

Inertia pullers are more than adequate. It will take a ton of mistakes to need to pull enough bullets to break one. Collet pullers are caliber specific, and will mark the bullet, get the inertia puller. Besides that, if you need a bullet puller enough to break one, you may need to consider buying your ammo.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press and it's just fine. I do not load high volume. It's nice to leave dies set in the turrets ready to go. Or, if money isn't a limiting factor, the Forster Coax press is single stage but very quick and easy to change the dies out with floating guide rods which makes for loading very concentric cartridges. I've been tempted to buy one, but my Lee turret press keeps cranking out nice ammo. I don't typically use the auto index with it. I just manually index the turret and load with the single stage batch process. My press is mounted to a 2 x 6 pine board. I clamp it to my bench at home, or to the bench at the range when working up loads with a couple of quick adjust clamps or c-clamps. If going to the range, everything else needed for reloading fits in a tool box. A tackle box would work as well.

I have a Lee Safety Powder Scale. It is accurate, and if you are deliberate and use it correctly, it works just fine. But I prefer using my Lyman M5 Scale. It settles faster and is easier to adjust. It's old, I bought it on craigslist from a guy who never used it. I recommend you check ebay for a Lyman M5 Scale or an RCBS 10-10 Scale which they stopped making a few years back. Both the M5 and 10-10 can measure up to 1000 grains and were made by Ohaus for Lyman and RCBS. Alternatively, you could go for the Lyman D5 or RCBS 5-10 which measure up to 500 grains. However, caveat emptor applies if buying used. Get one that looks good if you do. But they are available in good condition. Lots of folks buy stuff and seldom use them. Lyman M5 Scale - ebay, RCBS 10-10 Scale - ebay

Regardless of the weight scale you choose, I suggest you get a check weight set. Lyman has a couple sets and RCBS has a more complete set for sale at MidwayUSA. Weight Check Sets - MidwayUSA. These can be found on ebay as well. Other online reloading suppliers include Natchez Shooters Supply, Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Grafs & Sons. I've used them all with good service.

Your Lee Case Conditioning Kit and Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool appear to be redundant. I suggest the Lee. Why? It comes with the locking stud which you can chuck up in a cordless drill or in a drill press for easy case prepping. I prefer using my cordless drill over the drill press. The lock stud works with a lee shell holder to lock in a case for turning. Then use all your case prepping tools on it. It's also great for neck turning if you ever decide to do that. That and it's half the cost of the Lyman Multi Tool. That kit doesn't include the case length gauge for trimming though. You might add that for .308 to the list (it comes with a shell holder). Lee also sells a ball handle with cutter separately. It's more comfortable than the knurled cutter alone, but certainly not necessary and is an added expense. Lee .308 Case Gauge and shell holder, Lee Case Trimmer with Ball Grip

I use a Lee handheld priming tool, but Lee stopped making it. If it were to fail today, I'd probably go with the RCBS one you've selected or the Frankford Arsenal Handheld one. The newer Lee handheld primer tools seem to get conflicting reviews on quality. The old ones were good, but eventually fail since they aren't made of titanium. The RCBS one has a longer track record. Think your choice is sound there and it's nice that it doesn't require proprietary shell holders.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock Chucker Supreme kit has most of what you'll need to get started, including the scale, and you can add to it from there. I prefer a collet puller. Instead of a trickler just use a case with the primer still in it, twist it between your fingers to trickle powder in. Go with wet tumbling and SS pins, faster and brass is cleaner. Buy the Lee shell holder kit, it has most of the common sizes needed and you get 10 for what 4 costs and they come in a nice storage case. I'll second Imperial case lube, good stuff and 1 can will last a very long time. ABCs of reloading is a good book to get now and read twice. Good quality caliper. You can put together your on stuck case remover easily. The Hornady Comparator AND Lock n Load O.A.L gauge with the modified case you need.

just my .02

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Don't overlook a press (or kit) from Lyman, my original press is a Lyman 'C' type that I bought in 1979 and there is nothing wrong with it. I also have a Lyman "O" type.

I loaded for a lot of years without a tumbler, then I got tired of wiping off case lube and now I just toss the resized case in the tumbler, let the media take the lube off.

I'm not a fan of the One Shot type spray on lubes, I tried some, but I prefer liquid on a case lube pad.

I have some Lee equipment but I'm not a big fan, mostly I have a mix of RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady.

Never owned an electronic scale.

I trim cases with Lyman trimmer using the power adapter so I can use my cordless drill.

Have only ever owned an inertia style bullet puller

FWIW,

Dale

Last edited by Dale K; 08/10/17. Reason: puller comment

This space for rent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started out with an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit but, I just could not get use to the feel of the Rock Chucker press. I now have a Lee Classic Turret press and a Lee Classic single stage press along with a Lee Classic powder measure with their drum set. I still use a jumble of Lee, RCBS, and Redding dies, all of which work well with my Lee presses. I now load for 9 different calibers and haven't found one that my Lee presses hasn't handled well.

I do still use my old RCBS 10-10 (Ohaus) powder scale whichI really like. I also use a Lyman case prep station and their tried and true case tumbler that I've had for several years. Nothing wrong with mixing and matching different brands of reloading tools.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.