Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I purchased a Varmint rifle kit a few weeks ago from model 1 sales, it has everything but the stripped lower, I got the 24 inch fluted chrome moly barrel, picked up an Anderson stripped lower at my local Cabelas yesterday, $43.00 plus tax. I have been shooting it using the lower from another of my AR's, only issue is that the cases are ejecting at about two o clock and observing small dents on the cases, I noticed that the buffer in the pars kit is much longer than the buffer in the lower that I am currently using and I think that buffer is made for a long barrel. After only putting nine rounds through it i fired an experimental group using my plinking load, 24.4 gr H 335 55gr fmj bullet, group measured .409, cleaned it and fired about 20 more rounds, ten cleaned it again removing all the copper fouling, same bullet with 25.2 gr Benchmark, four shot group measured .346. I also purchased and mounted a Vortex crossfire 6x18 scope, look out coyotes.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Ejection at 2:00 indicates the system is definitely overgassed (meaning the bolt cycles too fast); the solutions to that are an adjustable gas block or heavier buffers. The gas block is the better solution but requires the right tools to do the job. Assuming you don't have those, heavier buffers are the easy solution.

There are two buffer lengths - rifle and carbine; they are not interchangeable. It sounds like your kit came with a rifle buffer, while your assembled lower has a carbine buffer. Do not swap the buffers or the springs. Carbine buffers are used in adjustable-stock carbine buffer tubes. Rifle buffers and springs are used in longer rifle buffer tubes for fixed rifle stocks. It does not matter how the upper is configured or what the barrel length is, only that the gas is tuned correctly or that the bcg is delayed with the right buffer weight.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The dents, depending on where they are, are solved by a sticky back piece of the loop side of velcro on the brass deflector. All our guns get that, over or under gassed. LOL

RE 2 oclock ejection is where we tuned our ejectors to toss our brass, but that was by tuning.

What FMJ bullet, because I'm all ears, I've never seen one capable of sub moa groups as an average. Fluke yes, average no. Maybe there is a better one out there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Rost,

What ever Norma's loading in the 55gr Norma Tac ammo will shoot sub MOA out of my target gun all day. It's good stuff.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since you said "all day", have we seen this in the challenge? smile

Jeff I always thought tuning the ejector was for how far it ejected, not where it ejected?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Since you said "all day", have we seen this in the challenge? smile

Jeff I always thought tuning the ejector was for how far it ejected, not where it ejected?

Sounds like it may be a contender for that challenge, if he can consistently keep 10 (or 20) inside less than an inch or so..... My Noveske puts them into 1/2 inch most of the time when we are talking 3 shot groups. Was shooting a target for the challenge the other day and dropped the last shot out of a .648" 9 shot group.... cry

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rost495
The dents, depending on where they are, are solved by a sticky back piece of the loop side of velcro on the brass deflector. All our guns get that, over or under gassed. LOL

RE 2 oclock ejection is where we tuned our ejectors to toss our brass, but that was by tuning.

What FMJ bullet, because I'm all ears, I've never seen one capable of sub moa groups as an average. Fluke yes, average no. Maybe there is a better one out there.

I was using the Hornady 55 gr fmj bullet, they run $45.00 per 500 at Scheels.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Yondering
Ejection at 2:00 indicates the system is definitely overgassed (meaning the bolt cycles too fast); the solutions to that are an adjustable gas block or heavier buffers. The gas block is the better solution but requires the right tools to do the job. Assuming you don't have those, heavier buffers are the easy solution.

There are two buffer lengths - rifle and carbine; they are not interchangeable. It sounds like your kit came with a rifle buffer, while your assembled lower has a carbine buffer. Do not swap the buffers or the springs. Carbine buffers are used in adjustable-stock carbine buffer tubes. Rifle buffers and springs are used in longer rifle buffer tubes for fixed rifle stocks. It does not matter how the upper is configured or what the barrel length is, only that the gas is tuned correctly or that the bcg is delayed with the right buffer weight.

Me and a friend who has built about a dozen AR's put the lower togeather today, went to Cabelas and purchased an Anderson stripped lower for $44.00.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So just to be sure, you used a rifle stock and receiver extension?

Not trying to doubt you or your friend but I've seen a bunch of people put together AR's in the last few years that didn't know the difference.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.