Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Fischer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Hi all and thanks in advance.

I'm hunting for the first time west of the Mississippi in October, for elk in western Colorado. My buddy tells me that I really need good binos and I can see that's true. I've never had a pair anywhere close to top end Swaro or Leica, but I do have a Swarovski scope on the rifle I'll be taking along and really like it. So I guess by default, I'm leaning toward the Swarovski. I'm considering the EL 10x42 and the EL 10x42 Range. There are some new old stock last generation ELs out there at substantially less cost. I understand there have been some improvements to the latest generation but I've got to believe that the last gen has to be pretty frikkin' awesome too. So my question - Is there a meaningful difference between the two, optically or functionally?

As long as I'm asking, how about this - SLC vs EL for hunting?

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The new EL's have what they call Swarovision which is an extra set of lenses that flatten the view and make everything very sharp out to the edges. Some people really like this and there are some who don't. I would go to a store that has the new EL's and try them out first and see if you like them. I'm looking to buy some new binos and have been doing the same kind of research. The SLC HD's are also quite nice and weigh a bit less than EL's. The view through them is probably pretty close to the old version of the EL.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Bowmanh explained it well, and the Range series does not come in a Swarovision model. The new model EL's also have updated coatings and focus knob refinements.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The earlier production, 2nd gen EL's had coatings that also flattened the field. Lot of complaints about the "rolling ball" effect with those binos. At some point in the last 2-3 years it's obvious Swaro changed the coatings a bit to reduce the rolling ball effect. Not as many complaints now. Some people are affected by the rolling ball, some can't see it and/or it doesn't bother them.

The 1st gen EL's didn't seem to have the rolling ball, or it didn't affect many people.

If you can get the SLC's for less money than the EL's I'd go with the SLC's.

But, as an added note the 42mm binos are bigger and heavier than the 32mm's. After a long day they can be a bit of a drag on a guy...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Fischer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks bowmanh. I actually did have a chance to try the new ELs and they did not disappoint, to say the least. I need to go back and try to compare the SLC and EL...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The earlier production, 2nd gen EL's had coatings that also flattened the field. Lot of complaints about the "rolling ball" effect with those binos. At some point in the last 2-3 years it's obvious Swaro changed the coatings a bit to reduce the rolling ball effect. Not as many complaints now. Some people are affected by the rolling ball, some can't see it and/or it doesn't bother them.

The 1st gen EL's didn't seem to have the rolling ball, or it didn't affect many people.

If you can get the SLC's for less money than the EL's I'd go with the SLC's.

But, as an added note the 42mm binos are bigger and heavier than the 32mm's. After a long day they can be a bit of a drag on a guy...........

Casey

With all due respect, coatings don't flatten the view,,,lenses do. Coating filter light and or make the view brighter. There have been 15-20 generations of EL's all together. The newest version are the FieldPro, which has an upgraded case and new strap lugs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The SLC HD's are also quite nice and weigh a bit less than EL's.

I owned both at one time and kept the SLC. Granted, I had some sensitivity to the field flattener in the EL Swarovision so that strike couldn't be overcome.
Even so, I'd likely have gone the SLC route. The only thing I can honestly say I miss about the EL's is the open bridge as there's a fair bit more barrel to grasp.

If you want "pretty damned good" but relish a milder hit to the pocketbook, I'd encourage you to get your mitts on a Tract Toric.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience mirrors Scott's. My eyes aren't compatible with the EL's field flattening (I'm also susceptible to rolling ball effect). I've settled on ULTRAVID HD Plus as my primary binocular. That said, I had a set of the Tract Torics as well, but lent them to a birder who opted to return them as cash. They are fantastic. I miss them. I was hoping this latest contest would restore them in the form of 10x42mm Torics.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would suggest you look at the 8X32 EL Swarovision and you may find utopia.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The SLC HD's are also quite nice and weigh a bit less than EL's.

I owned both at one time and kept the SLC. Granted, I had some sensitivity to the field flattener in the EL Swarovision so that strike couldn't be overcome.
Even so, I'd likely have gone the SLC route. The only thing I can honestly say I miss about the EL's is the open bridge as there's a fair bit more barrel to grasp.

If you want "pretty damned good" but relish a milder hit to the pocketbook, I'd encourage you to get your mitts on a Tract Toric.

Like Scott, I can't handle the excessive "field flattener's" that Swarovski uses in the Swarovision. However, I think the SLC is the Best Buy in "Alpha" binoculars. I'm a Leica guy, but were I forced to choose outside a Leica Ultravid or Trinovid, I'd use a Swarovski SLC.

And though I know you didn't ask, I far and away prefer 8X over 10X, and have never been on an elk hunt where a 10X would have helped over an 8X. However, the 8X'42's brighter image at dusk and dawn as well as less hand-shake are a real positive over the 10x42. If you need more than 8X, 10X isn't going to help, in which case you need a spotter.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
All of the 3 Alpha's make a field flattened bino today, as an optic nut with far too much money invested...buy what's right for your eyes. Zeiss has the SF, Swaro the Swarovision, Leica Noctivid...all flattening lenses that are crisp edge to edge, but may cause the rollerball effect with some when panning left/right.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My own 10x42 EL is an early generation glass, and I haven't found a reason yet to switch to one of the later models, partly because I am not one of those whose eyes prefer Swarovsion. However, mine doesn't have the oil/dust/water resistant coating of newer models--though I haven't found that much of a disadvantage in the West.The 10x42 SLC has been a temptation, because it's lighter in weight, and the view is at least as good.

Have tried various generations of EL's in 10x42 and 8x32, and there's always been a noticeable fall-off in optical performance in dim light with the 8x32's. But that's due to basic optical principles, not any lack of quality in the 8x32's. My wife prefers the 8x32's because of the lighter weight, but she generally doesn't spend as much time glassing long distances as I do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
All of the 3 Alpha's make a field flattened bino today, as an optic nut with far too much money invested...buy what's right for your eyes. Zeiss has the SF, Swaro the Swarovision, Leica Noctivid...all flattening lenses that are crisp edge to edge, but may cause the rollerball effect with some when panning left/right.

The Leica Noctvid hits the sweet spot for my eye's and gives no "rolling ball" effect. They got the compromise right. Swarovision is a complete zero for my eyes.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Fischer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Wow, lots of great information here from everybody. On my initial trip to look at binos, I wasn't nearly educated enough to make a good decision. That's why I posted here...

Thanks guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

The Leica Noctvid hits the sweet spot for my eye's and gives no "rolling ball" effect. They got the compromise right. Swarovision is a complete zero for my eyes.

Yes, only YOUR eyes knows what's best for you...Leica and I don't get along due to the terrible eye relief, they're so well known for..... Zeiss & Swaro are far better for eye glass wearers(Alpha). And obviously the same principles apply with spotting scopes, and fixed/zoom eye pieces.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leica and I don't get along due to the terrible eye relief, they're so well known for.....

Sounds like you haven't tried the Noctivid's...

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
If you're interested in the range finding models - Swarovski EL Range 8x42 and 10x42 - they don't use field flatteners as mentioned earlier by Bwana_1. The Field Pro also mentioned by Bwana_1 are the latest version of the EL's.

Using the both the Field Pro Field EL Range 8x42 and 10x42 compared to several earlier EL Range models, I have noticed a noticeable increase in contrast with the FP's. Whether this is apparent in all the Field Pro models I have no idea.

I personally prefer the non Swarovision models. Not affected by rolling ball, just find the Swarovsion's too flat looking, lacking in some 3D effect. Everyone's eyes are different though.

Swarovski are continually improving their coatings and seldom mention them publicly probably because the differences are unperceivable to us.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of posts here, and some of them are in error. I have owned both the older EL and now the EL Swarovision model.

The Swarovision has the advantage of being lighter, slimmer, and brighter than the early EL. Rolling ball has been mentioned, but in
studies done by Zeiss only 2-5% of the population will even be affected. That means that it is a mute subject. Swarovski would not have brought the SV model out if it was an issue. Out of the top 3 alpha brands, the flat field
models include the Swarovision, and the Zeiss Victory SF, I own models of each, and they are all at the top of
binoculars available. The Zeiss SF, has a wider FOV, better balance, a smoother focuser, and it is my favorite.
You are not done shopping until you try the Zeiss SF.

Leica has the new Noctovid, it is not flat field, but is also at the top.

With binoculars in this class you should try before you buy, and it is hard to do. Some of these are not often found in stores.

Good luck, and by the way, there are plenty of other options in the mid-range class that will do very well for you.
For under $1,000, the Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD, and new Nikon Monarch HG are very capable binoculars.
I own or have owned all 3.

For the OP, for an occasional hunt, you could consider the ones I just mentioned.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Farmboy,

Would love to hear where you're getting your information about the lighter, slimmer latest EL's. My 10x42 is probably a decade old, and is exactly the same length, width and weight listed for the 10x42 on Swarovski's website.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have owned Swarovski 10x42 ELs for at least 10 years. I have tried others, including EL Range and Leica with rangefinder, but still have my original ELs.

My personal test involved an antelope hunt in Wyoming a couple of years ago. I had already tagged out and sat in my truck with the 10 year old Swarovski ELs and the Leicas. A couple of my buddies were putting on a stalk in the late afternoon and I was watching from several hundred yards away. I sold the Leicas when I got home. I have also owned the Swarovski Range and they also went down the road. My best advice is to try your own test, whatever that might be, but if you have never had any Swarovskis, the older ones may be fine for you, and definitely cheaper.

My wife and I have been to Africa twice and, although she does not pull the trigger, she is a great game spotter. I bought her a Swarovski SLC in 10x42 and she is very pleased with them, as well.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 63 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.