Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, what make post pounder do you use? How's it setup?

What lick tubs are you buying?

How much a tub?

Around $120/tub here.

And I was thinking damn, I'd be running a swather over that 'pasture', looks pretty good from here!

Do you run a piece of expanded metal up and out of the tank for critters?

We always keep an old broken chunk of 2x8 or similar floating.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Funny, when I was in Texas for a hog hunt a few years ago, they call ponds "tanks". colokial I guess.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim, that hydrant has the look of an Iowa brand? Do you use gravel at the drain back, base of the hydrant?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jim, that hydrant has the look of an Iowa brand? Do you use gravel at the drain back, base of the hydrant?

We took the head off one a couple weeks ago.
(lasted less than 4 years)

Apparently they've cheapened up the pull/push rod and use substandard steel.....

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, the Iowa brand was sort of the standard years ago, The last we have put in are Merrill, made in Storm Lake, Iowa.

Why do you put in a 2x8 Sam?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know that one Sam. I have a hydrant just twenty feet from me. Handle works great but the rod ain't doing chit.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, we have a bunch of 'old' Iowa hydrants in use but the newest failed first.....

We throw an old board in for the birds, squirrels, gophers, etc..
(the dumb ones will fall in...

Hate to drown anything in a tank not too mention it fouls up the water a little.

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/16/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I know that one Sam. I have a hydrant just twenty feet from me. Handle works great but the rod ain't doing chit.

W. Bill,

Ours broke right down at the bottom just above the top of the threads. Granted we have hard water but it was clearly way too thin steel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Giving the critters an escape ramp is a kind thing to do. Have you guys gotten anymore rain? It sprinkled for a couple minutes just before football practice started. Enough that I had to use the wipers in the truck for the first time in months. Hope you get some rain guys.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aces, it rained .1" here 3 days ago, caught a lucky 1/2" on one place a week-ten ago. Very limited.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Get the bad year behind you Sam, bad years happen every so often, and I sure do not want to sound hard about that, Hope for better next year.

As we have talked about, keep pluggin' away.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow a tenth of an inch ain't much. I'll have to do my famous Eskimo (in tribute to Jim) rain dance for you guys. I'm counting on your 90 precip/fog prediction to come true. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have a WheatHeart High and Heavy hitter Sam. Trailer type. Love that thing.

Yeah, that would have made a nice field of hay earlier but we were going to run out of grass so we decided to graze it. Hope it was a smart gamble.

On the tire tanks we set we had to run an expanded metal escape.....for an Equip project.

Normally we just have a board floating. The expanded metal ramps do work well though. Probably just float a board in these fiberglass tanks. First one we have set.

The tubs are a 20% protein with IGR for the flys. Wife says they are 126 a piece.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Richard, yes they are Iowa brand hydrants.

Used them for years and then went with the cheap farm store brands.

Part of the reason we switched is because the FSA made us bury pressure reducing valves on part of our last pipeline. Seeing how the pressure was only going to be 70 pounds, we went with the cheap-o's.

At different locations on that line where the pressures were low enough to use a hydrant with out a reducer we used Iowa.

Funny thing Sam mentioned one failing.......we had to replace the head on a new Iowa Hydrant this summer. The head was full of casting flaws and started to leak like a sieve. Never had any trouble with Iowa before that.

They ought to be twice as good as the farm store brands.....they are twice the money!

We only use 8ft bury hydrants out here anymore. Pipeline is always at least 6 feet, but with a 6 ft bury hydrant the handle is only a couple feet off the ground. I dont like to bend over to turn it on!

Always use a few yards of gravel at the base.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
22% w/IGR are $134 so really close.

Curious on the pounder because we thought about buying a loader tractor version. A skid steer version would be really nice for corral work.

There's a 'deal' on water projects now but I heard the waiting list is long......

The worst water tank find is a dead calf....

Ace's when we got that tenth a day later parts of eastern ND and MN got 1-3". I heard it messed up their spring wheat harvest and will reduce quality

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Engineer came out today to look at our new project. Part of an emergency water deal.

I want to put in another 12,000 feet of pipeline plus a 30,000 gallon cistern.

We would have to put a bigger pump in the well, like a 14 or so.

Only going to add a few more tanks on that line but the added flow would mean we could stop hauling water......and sort of drought proof our place.

The big wigs decided that I could not put in a cistern, only above ground storage. They want the pipeline at 6 feet.....but only seasonal storage!

Engineer said they would do the cistern....big wigs should stick to calculators and filing papers.

Maybe there is going to be some emergency cost share on it......but it does not look good.

We will go to the bank and borrow the money. Gotta have this done.

Nice thing is we do all the work ourselves.....I just have to set the breaks on the D8 for backfill.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We will find a dead calf in a tank in the corrals but not in the pastures. Probably jinxed myself there!

We love this little trailer mount pounder, but it does not fit everywhere. But I will tell you, there are damn few places I cant get it into.

If you buy a pounder for a tractor I would seriously look at one of the vibratory models. You need big hydraulics to run one but they look pretty sweet.

Probably cheaper than this Wheatheart.

I like the Wheatheart because you can run it by yourself.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, good luck on getting the project done the right way. Hope it works out.

The vibe model pounders seem like the way to go.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sam,me and the wife have been thinking of putting in a race track.

Seems like every weekend at tracks all around the country whenever they try to have a race it rains.

Doing it now at the track where the nascar trucks were supposed to race tonight.

Don't know if some kind of farmboy type of truck race or what type would work.
Wished we had a few more inches here.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,075
Posts18,521,731
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.