Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
My grandfather taught me when I was somewhere around ten that a gentleman was not dressed unless he had a pocket knife, a Zippo lighter, a clean handkerchief in one hip pocket and a clean, ironed, white handkerchief in his other hip pocket in case you should come upon a lady in distress. It is one of his old fashioned lessons I still adhere to almost every day with the execptions of when flying or at the VA hospital where all weapons are prohibited by federal law.

In the Nave at my first PDS I had a Master Chief for a boss and he hammered into my new guy soft brain a proper knife was sharp, could be in my hand quickly and easily, opened, used, closed, and put away all with only using one hand as aboard ship it could save your life. He would inspect me every day to see if I had it.

When dressed for a fancy occasion the knife is an old Japanese made Gerber folding pocket knife. In my normal jeans dress you will always a folding knife I would be willing to present is called upon bu that old Master Chief.

Today the idea of the zippo is kind of outdated but I still carry a real Zippo but it has a butane insert. As for the clean, white, ironed handkerchief, I have not given one to a lady in distress since yesterday afternoon. She was shocked and grateful at the same time. I have a new clean, ironed white handkerchief in my right hip pocket as I type this.

Add a roll of cord in there and I would suspect he had been a marine.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
My grandfather kept an oldstyle Case pen knife with him his whole life. When he died, one was in the bag we brought back from the hospital. All told, there were five in his drawer. One had had its smallest blade sharpened down to a toothpick. That was the one he'd started carrying at age 6.

My Dad and I split Grandpa's collection. I was always a Swiss Army Knife kind of guy. Dad gave me one he'd gotten as a Christmas present in 1968. I wore out that one and then went through 4 more. Over the years. I'm fond of the Advanced Tinker model. I find the saw, the hacksaw, and the scissors especially handy.

So last Christmas, I was kind of low on funds. I'd started a new job, but the first paycheck had not yet arrived. I figured I'd give my 3 sons one of their great-grandad's pocket knives each. Dad was dead too, so I went looking through his stuff and found the other half of the collection. Sadly, they'd all rusted up from disuse. I got them all cleaned up and realized they weren't all that good looking and weren't all that useful. So I went online and tried to find new Case pen knives for all of them and found out Case didn't make pen knives anymore. Figures. When Grandpa got his first one, he was actually using it to cut quills for pens. It's only been 115 years. So now what?

I figured I'd buy everyone a Swiss Army Knife-- found the Camper Model. Ordered one for everyone on the list.

I also finally figured out over the winter it might be a good idea to have a lockblade. The handiest lockblade I know is the Ka-Bar 4062 Folding Hunter. Actually, my favorite is the Buck 110 Folding Hunter, but it's a bit much for work and I'm not expecting to do surgery on a deer. I ordered the Ka-Bar and I've got it in my pocket now. I bought one for KYHillChick as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
3 blade Kutmaster made in Utica NY

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Most days I carry a Buck Peanut[style].

As a side note, I sent my 110 in for a checkup to Buck last month. This 110 was my first ever real knife, bought new in the mid 70's. I was pretty rough on it, sticking it[throwing] into the ground, partial opening then pretend it was an assisted opening knife with the flick of a wrist etc. It hadn't seen the light of day in well over 30 years.
Unreal what they did with that knife for $6.95!!!!
It won't see the light of day for a few more years as I plan on giving it to our grandson once he comes of age.

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heck! Old TL-29's are cool too!!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sidekick...

Sidekick>Wingman... I have been packing one everyday for a few years now, cain't go anywhere without it. Love the clip and saw.

Last edited by mtcurman; 08/15/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This little bugger came in the shop one day in a little paste board box of assorted folders. I was one of the last to go thru the box and amongst the old Sabre and old Impérial plastic handled stuff lay this. Says Sheffield Made on blade. Nice handles too!

[Linked Image]

Got it for like $3 or $4.

Speaking of Sheffield.......does a Solgen steel Charles Loyd single blade Barlow from the 40's made in Sheffield do any thing for ya?
Almost 80 years old and still snaps like an Alligator......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread caused me to wonder about the age of this Case knife I carry, so I looked at Case's Website.

1950-64

http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/tang_stamps/

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This little bugger came in the shop one day in a little paste board box of assorted folders. I was one of the last to go thru the box and amongst the old Sabre and old Impérial plastic handled stuff lay this. Says Sheffield Made on blade. Nice handles too!

[Linked Image]

Got it for like $3 or $4.

Speaking of Sheffield.......does a Solgen steel Charles Loyd single blade Barlow from the 40's made in Sheffield do any thing for ya?
Almost 80 years old and still snaps like an Alligator......

[Linked Image]

Yes!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of then time.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have collected cutting instruments, i.e. knives, since i was a kid, all kinds. Kind of interesting some of the brand names mentioned here, like kutmaster, lot of them made knives for the military in WWII.
I am using mostly these days a little swiss army knife, but for many many years i used something surprised not mentioned here.
the little metal sided knife marked "US" on the side. I am looking at one of them right now made by Camillus, marked so on the blade
and the date l992. another one marked 1984. I think they were issued or available in the military at one time. Another one of interest is a
Colonial with the plastic type handle, a folder. Colonial was kind of interesting in they made a knife in WWIII like a Mark I USN, with that plastic t type handle, all the other manufacturers had a leather ringed handle.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a few Case knives.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a dozen grandkids and have been buying them all a case stockman when they turn 7.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd never heard of the GEC pocketknifes that are handmade in PA until this thread. You sorry SOB's are gonna cost me some money grin

I have carried a yellow bone handled Case Trapper near most of my life. Untill one day it folded on me while I was being a dumbass and prying something with it. Cut my damn trigger finger all the way to the bone!

Nowadays I usually carry a Spyderco Delica, and a ProTech switchblade.

But I still love to collect traditional old pocket knives. And I've got GrandDad's and Great GrandDad's pocket knifes that they carried all their life's as ranchers. Both are in rough condition, because like most ole Ranchers, they used the hell out of em!
But they are a very prized keepsake & sentimental to me. Between those two knives, I wished I knew how many thousands of calfs that were castorated with them over a 100 year period.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/17/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry custom hand made versions of these old time pocket knives ( slipjoint) I like all kinds of knives. Folders,I have bought and owned all types,but in the end I carry the slip joint. Lock back too. Once I got into selling knives,I could not go back to carrying a factory made slipjoint just out of principal ,like why ?

Some guys loose stuff out of their pockets all the time. I'd suggest a factory knife for them,less expensive.

Right now I have the remainder of the last batch of John Lloyd pocket knives listed FS on my site. I got the green light from John to accept reasonable offers on these. I have been auctioning them off on my Facebook group.

When I first got into these custom slipjoint folders there was no maker like John around. This is a good time for this style of knife,for a buyer,there are many makers doing it.

For guys who like to clip the knife Case makes some models with clips.

A lot of the feedback I get as to why guys do not like the slip joint style,is that like 4" size knives turn sideways in their front pocket makes for an uncomfortable carry. Other guys work that problem out,sheaths,pocket pouches,back pocket,etc.

If you want a custom hand made version f one of these " old time" folders look me up chances are I can get you one .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out Lloyd Afield

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is my Menefee " Pacheco"

This has become quite popular

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like India Sambar stag for covers ( handle scales)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Menefee 4-5/8" " Backpocket " I like maple too

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,637
Posts18,493,149
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.