Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Your way will result in horn degradation. For sure.

You do know that antelope horns are shed every year, right? Ever seen one after 6 months in the weather? Not pretty. I've got two on my desk right now.

They will come loose while hanging on a tree - eventually. They may split, delaminate, get chewed upon be squirrels, mice, porcupines whatever. Ever heard of UV light being good for biological material? There is NO upside to your method. None.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sometimes you have to do everything... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maceration_(bone)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by GregW
You traded weed samples at your antelope camp and that's how you do it in Oregon?

I love your threads....

I can neither officially confirm nor deny that there was a very surprising amount of that sort of thing happening... 40-65 year old guys, big hunting rigs, ATV's, every overt sign of redneckitude... yet.... we seem to have entered a very enlightened new era in that regard. At least in Oregon.

I'm ok with that.

Read this this morning:

"The researchers found that those who took marijuana on a regular basis had greater global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) and cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen (CMRO2) as compared to the non-users. The study also showed that the cerebral blood flow (CBF) in the putamen — a round structure located at the base of the forebrain that is linked to learning — was much more in marijuana users than non-users."

I'm. Just. Saying.

Does that mean you hunted smarter not harder while you were playing redneck? Lmao...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Your way will result in horn degradation. For sure.

You do know that antelope horns are shed every year, right? Ever seen one after 6 months in the weather? Not pretty. I've got two on my desk right now.

They will come loose while hanging on a tree - eventually. They may split, delaminate, get chewed upon be squirrels, mice, porcupines whatever. Ever heard of UV light being good for biological material? There is NO upside to your method. None.

Oh, THAT'S not true. The upside is I don't have to deal with a stinking rotting animal head. smile

Hmmmm. Well, poop. I can keep it out of UV, and it should be ok with rodents... don't have many tree-dwellers here other than squirrels and I doubt they'd be interested. I hung an elk head in this way and some critter bigger than I'd accounted for got it out of the tree and ate the meat off the thing (I'm pretty sure it was Bigfoot, but it's just barely possible it was something else)..... grin....

I know this is borderline hearsay around here but I'm just not a big trophy guy. Having the skull/horns as a momento of the hunt would be cool but it's not really that big a deal to me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You traded weed samples at your antelope camp and that's how you do it in Oregon?

I love your threads....

I can neither officially confirm nor deny that there was a very surprising amount of that sort of thing happening... 40-65 year old guys, big hunting rigs, ATV's, every overt sign of redneckitude... yet.... we seem to have entered a very enlightened new era in that regard. At least in Oregon.

I'm ok with that.

Read this this morning:

"The researchers found that those who took marijuana on a regular basis had greater global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) and cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen (CMRO2) as compared to the non-users. The study also showed that the cerebral blood flow (CBF) in the putamen — a round structure located at the base of the forebrain that is linked to learning — was much more in marijuana users than non-users."

I'm. Just. Saying.

Does that mean you hunted smarter not harder while you were playing redneck? Lmao...

I love your threads....

I'm ok with that.

Read this this morning:

I'm. Just. Saying.

No, I hunted hard and probably kind of stupidly <grin>. And stone cold sober. But back at the campground it was quite the social scene, and what I described was just... the truth.

PS- bet I'm rednecker than you. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Oh, THAT'S not true. The upside is I don't have to deal with a stinking rotting animal head. smile

Hmmmm. Well, poop. I can keep it out of UV, and it should be ok with rodents... don't have many tree-dwellers here other than squirrels and I doubt they'd be interested. I hung an elk head in this way and some critter bigger than I'd accounted for got it out of the tree and ate the meat off the thing (I'm pretty sure it was Bigfoot, but it's just barely possible it was something else)..... grin....

I know this is borderline hearsay around here but I'm just not a big trophy guy. Having the skull/horns as a momento of the hunt would be cool but it's not really that big a deal to me.

Whatever. They are yours to ruin, or not. As for the "stinking rotting" part, that's only because you didn't deal with it promptly. But be that as it may, it's just a smell. Buckle up and have at it. This isn't hard.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing wrong with that, nice work

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw some cool rifles up there. I think having so many years to obsess over it leads to that. My favorite was a full custom 6.5 CM in a McMillan, about the same profile as my Bartlein #3 but with a Lilja, custom Remington-pattern action, forget which one, and a big Nightforce SHV. He liked my build (the fauX) a lot too; we could've traded and both been happy.

Also saw (and heard) the usual rifle stupidity. Guys taking "500 yard!" shots... with no rangefinder. Rifles with wack-ass scopes on them mounted all weird. Etc.

THe fishing up there is awesome. Native redbands, small rivers... my kind of fishing. Caught several in this range. [Linked Image]

I unfortunately broke my old Berkeley Cherrywood rod some years ago... but I've been using that same Garcia 308 reel since the 70's, though I did have to procure another one for parts scavenging.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/17/17.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've not had very good luck getting pronghorn skulls to come out looking nice. A lot of that bone around the nasal area is real light and fragile.
I've found aging them naturally works much better with deer and elk than with pronghorn The black horn covers seem to take a beating and the bone chewing rodents can do a number on the light thin bone.
Having a taxidermist do a euro mount was not a lot better. I found tons of that clear rubber glue holding together the skull I had done because so much of it fell apart during the skull cleaning process.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I've not had very good luck getting pronghorn skulls to come out looking nice. A lot of that bone around the nasal area is real light and fragile.

This is why anaerobic maceration works so well. Besides being easy.

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Congrats, Jeff. Nice buck.

You chasing Pronghorn again next year (in a spot that doesn't require points)?

Shame on irfubar.

Originally Posted by irfubar
I will make a prediction. Jeffo will get a buck but it will be after many, many days of hunting and it will be a dink.
But he will brag of making a uber long shot under tough conditions. wink

oops looks like Jeffo posted while I was typing.
I am more right than wrong LMAO

Thanks! Yes, I think I've got the bug now. More so if it's as delicious as you guys say. I have eaten antelope but it was stewed in cream of mushroom soup base.... could've been about ANY meat.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
Nothing wrong with that, nice work

Thanks Jud!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JeffO,

Maybe you should stick with activities like burning man. There you could smoke all the weed you want and oogle naked hippy chicks.

I find the way you are treating that antelope disgraceful. That unit is a premier trophy unit that takes years to draw. Many people covet that tag and hunt and would treat it with the respect it deserves and not be so cavalier about it.

You go on a lifetime hunt and don't have a proper camera? And spend time fishing? really?

And you plan to let the head rot in your yard. WTF?

Leave these tags for people who will appreciate them.

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
JeffO,

Maybe you should stick with activities like burning man. There you could smoke all the weed you want and oogle naked hippy chicks.

I find the way you are treating that antelope disgraceful. That unit is a premier trophy unit that takes years to draw. Many people covet that tag and hunt and would treat it with the respect it deserves and not be so cavalier about it.

You go on a lifetime hunt and don't have a proper camera? And spend time fishing? really?

Good grief, what makes you think he didn't appreciate that tag? I don't know Jeff , but taking a camera on any hunting trip is not required! As far letting the head rot in the yard, I thought they were exchanging information. The unit he hunted is like most in our state, they take years to draw tag, and we covet all those tags! The information on units is correct also! Hart Mountain herd's are down, they don't let us shoot coyotes there anymore!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
JeffO,

Good grief, what makes you think he didn't appreciate that tag? I don't know Jeff , but taking a camera on any hunting trip is not required! As far letting the head rot in the yard, I thought they were exchanging information. The unit he hunted is like most in our state, they take years to draw tag, and we covet all those tags! The information on units is correct also! Hart Mountain herd's are down, they don't let us shoot coyotes there anymore!

His actions lead me to believe he didnt show the animal or the tag the respect it deserves. If you had a clue and pay attention you will see a pattern of Jeff being a dumbazz, this isnt the first coveted tag he has drawn and blown.
WTF is wrong with Orgonians?

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
JeffO,

First you were making fun of him saying he'd have some long involved story, and shoot a dink. Neither of which happened.

So you were wrong, go ahead and admit it. Some people like to mount heads, some mount the horns. Some only care about horns and don't care about the meat which is the wrong way to think IMO. Some very good hunters mount neither head nor horns. It's really none of my business. That you're making it yours says more about you than it does about him.

And berating him for going fishing? Take a long step back.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Deleted.

Probably was a bit too rash; no need to do that.

Last edited by T_Inman; 08/17/17.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same

Last edited by T_Inman; 08/17/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff could post that our world was indeed round and would have to endure 20 pages of subsequent criticism. Just the way it is here.

I have a Wy elk tag in hand, and score or not, I will probably fish for at least 2 days during the season.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/17/17.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
Jeff could post that our world was indeed round and would have to endure 20 pages of subsequent criticism. Just the way it is here.

I have a Wy elk tag in hand, and score or not, I will probably fish for at least 2 days during the season.

Have a good one,

the Earth is not round. It is a spheroid. smile

Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.