Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Given the "popularity" of killing, stopping, enough power etc, threads, I thought to start one here and hopefully avoid the freak show and the usual suspects with this example: Let's say you just dropped large coin on a deposit for Lord Derby Eland in the CAR. BIG COIN. You have just about every caliber/rifle available in your arsenal. So, do you take the "only shot placement/bullet construction" matters angle and take your 243 or whatever "AI" or your 375 H&H with (my choices) 270gr Barnes Triple Shocks, Swift AFrame ? Fire away....

PS: My philosophy:
In my experience, which is of course limited, all else being equal - and by that I mean equal bullet performance and shot placement, and non-CNS hits - bigger diameter bullets at higher velocities kill faster.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would take a .375 H&H and use the 270 gr Swift A-Frame. The .375 would break both shoulders and be better for the frontal or quartering angle shots. In other words,the .375 would be better for the less than perfect shots that may arise when hunting.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 08/20/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That would finally give my .375 H&H Model 70 something worthwhile to do!

I've got a bunch of 300 gr Nosler Partitions on hand that shoot well, so I'd use them.

ZERO experience hunting in Africa, but that's what I'd grab from my gun safe.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be more concerned about the platform and the bullet than I would be the caliber, within reason.

Id guess 243 would certainly work, but I'd be more inclined to 270/280, 30/06, or even 338 WM type rounds. Maybe a 9.3 or 375 if it was in a special rifle I had to take.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'd go 9.3x62 and 286TSX on a Win 70, 338-06 and a 225 TSX on custom 98 Mannlicher, or 338WM and 250 NP on a Win 70.

Good Bullet weight, moderate caliber size at moderate velocity just works

Trapr

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
375 H&H. Only change I would consider is the bullet - 300 grain North Fork would be my choice, given the quarry and setting.

Of separate concern: Has the CAR calmed down some? It's been spooky there recently.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Given the "popularity" of killing, stopping, enough power etc, threads, I thought to start one here and hopefully avoid the freak show and the usual suspects with this example: Let's say you just dropped large coin on a deposit for Lord Derby Eland in the CAR. BIG COIN. You have just about every caliber/rifle available in your arsenal. So, do you take the "only shot placement/bullet construction" matters angle and take your 243 or whatever "AI" or your 375 H&H with (my choices) 270gr Barnes Triple Shocks, Swift AFrame ? Fire away....

In my experience, which is of course limited, all else being equal - and by that I mean equal bullet performance and shot placement, and non-CNS hits - bigger diameter bullets at higher velocities kill faster.

Take the .375, 270 gr. Barnes TSXes, game over......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for the .375, and I like swift A-Frames mucho.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
CAR is still an active war zone. I used a .375 for LDE in Cameroon because savannah buffalo was also on license and I wanted something suitable for both( although LDE are as large as the buffalo, they don't try to kill you if a dense cover follow up is necessary). As it turned out, I got the buff and not the eland. As an aside, I used a .338WM to take an eland in RSA- the 230 gr Failsafe broke both shoulders and lodges under the offside skin. It's plenty of power, IMHO.....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I always err on the side of bullet weight, diameter, momentum and penetration, too many things can happen to only rely on surgical placement.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500
I too many things can happen to only rely on surgical placement.

whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I have been repeatedly denied a "Stunt Shooter" license ;]

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I always err on the side of bullet weight, diameter, momentum and penetration, too many things can happen to only rely on surgical placement.

As much as a hunt cost and the time invested makes me want to have more than just enough gun, but one that I can shoot well, have all the confidence in.

That gun, in this case, would be my NH M-70 SS .375 H&H. It's chopped, flutted with NECG irons and a Victory 1.5-6x42 glass. It's slick and it shoots. I'd work up some good loads and go hunting.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet DF, 270 gr TSX's, 300 gr NPT's or SAF's wont let a man down if placed correctly.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Haven't done a vast amount of eland hunting, but have done enough in three countries to know they're not hard to kill, but a really big one requires plenty of penetration, both on bone and angling shots. The hunting also often involves long tracking, with the shot finally coming at an alarmed eland, heading the other way. I would personally choose a relatively lightweight rifle in any medium-bore cartridge from the .338 Winchester up with monolithic bullets, or near-monolithic bullets like the North Fork. Such bullets penetrate noticeably deeper than wider-expanding lead-cores like the A-Frame and Woodleigh, no matter how much weight the lead-cores retain.

The reason for the lightweight rifle isn't just carrying it on a long track, but the higher likelihood of having it in your hands, and then getting the rifle up and aimed quickly, when the chance comes--which may be brief. If I had the chance to go right now would probably pick my 8-pound 9.3x62 with 286-grain TSX's, or possibly 286 North Forks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for that real world experience MD, I'm thinking hard about the 275 gr old style Bitterroot Bonded Cores at 2700 fps in a pre-64 375 H&H using a fast 1.5-5 Leupold.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Bitterroots, like Woodleighs, didn't penetrate super-deeply because, again, they expanded widely.

Bob Hagel explained that in his book, GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS, which probably made more hunters aware of the advantages of controlled-expansion bullets than any other single source. It was published in 1978, back when Bitterroots and Nosler Partitions were the only reasonably available premium bullets in America, and Hagel had done considerable testing of both bullets in media and big game. He firmly stated Partitions would out-penetrate Bitterroots of the same weight and caliber, because Partitions opened into a narrower mushroom.

In fact, I'd rather use 286 Partitions when desiring deep penetration from my 9.3x62 than 250 TSX's. Heavier, larger-caliber Partitions are designed to retain at least 75% of their weight, even if they lose all the front core, and usually retain 85-90%. As a result 286 Partitions penetrate somewhere between the depth of 250 and 286 TSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for that too, it's filed in the load workup memory banks. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have never shot an Eland but just getting back from my 3rd plains game hunt, and were I to have booked your hunt, I would say 286 TSX in a 9.3, 250 TSX in. .338 or 300 TSX in a .375. I shot an Oryx with a 180 TTSX on a moderate quartering shot and the bullet did not reach the lungs. My dad made a similar shot on a 120-pound Blesbok with no exit (both left side which are tougher on penetration because of having to go through dry grass in stomach). Most broadside shots I have seen on Oryx and Wildebeast with Barnes bullets have not exited, probably because of robust muscle structure and 3/4" hide over the shoulders. I am starting to see why PHs preach tough bullets in really heavy weights.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
To further clarify, I personally would go 300 grains in .375 and choose Barnes over a Swift.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a couple of 404s that handle well and that I've carried quite a bit. I'd choose one of these - probably the one with a synthetic stock given the tropical condition - and use 400 grain Swift A-frames.

I acknowledge MD's experience and advice, but I've used that bullet at a bit over 2400 fps on a couple of tough African animals and have had very deep penetration from frontal and angling shots.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, at lower velocities A-Frames typically don't open up as widely, so penetrate deeper.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The eland I shot in Zimbabwe went down immediately with a 300 grain .375 TSX. Seems like a good choice to me, based on my one experience with eland. My experience also mirrors Mule Deer's comments about long tracking. A rifle that's a bit lighter than my CZ 550 would be nice for extended tracking. On the other hand, the extra weight does reduce recoil and makes a .375 easier to shoot and hit with, at least for me. The nice thing about a .375 is that it can handle nearly anything you might encounter, and in Africa you never know what that might be.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My one and only eland dropped to an original Barnes X via my FN Mauser 9.3x62 in 2002. A pile of other critters did the same. Today it would be a toss up between that rifle and my tweaked SS M70 375 H&H pushing the 270 gr TSX. I took the latter on an unsuccessful SE Alaska brown bear hunt last year with extreme confidence.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd use my 300 H&H with a 220 grain Partition.
or my 9.3X62 with a 286 gr Partition.
or my 9.3X74R with a 286 gr Partition.
or my 375H&H with a 300 grain Partition.

Might just draw straws.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
A CAR Lord Derby Eland is truly an epic hunt. I would take one of my Win M70 375 and chop it, restock it and make it as light as possible. Stoke it with A-Frames and be done with it. There are considerable lion in the CAR Savannah. No gun bearer is lugging my rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 375 H&H should be enough.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread-so far. Gunner, loved your post! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
I have a couple of 404s that handle well and that I've carried quite a bit. I'd choose one of these - probably the one with a synthetic stock given the tropical condition - and use 400 grain Swift A-frames.

I acknowledge MD's experience and advice, but I've used that bullet at a bit over 2400 fps on a couple of tough African animals and have had very deep penetration from frontal and angling shots.

Good to know in that I ended up with a few hundred .404 A Frames. I will admit to not having used that bullet because of not being a fan of the design. The bulging lower jacket never has seemed like a good idea to me but nice to know they work in .404. I run my .404 about 2250 so maybe I should shoot something with them to see how they penetrate.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Zengela
A CAR Lord Derby Eland is truly an epic hunt. I would take one of my Win M70 375 and chop it, restock it and make it as light as possible. Stoke it with A-Frames and be done with it. There are considerable lion in the CAR Savannah. No gun bearer is lugging my rifle.

This one's already been chopped and flutted. With the Victory 1.5-6x42 it's pushing 9#'s all up. If I swapped to the VX-3 1.5-5x20 it would be a little over 8 1/2 pounds, which is about as light as I'd want a .375 H&H. I generally don't like Tupperware, but have gotten used to this one, like the way it handles and it's tough. In this configuration, balance is good, handling is quick and like most M-70's, it's a shooter.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Desert: In my experience, bulging lower jacket only occurs at really high velocities. Nothing to worry about in a 404 Jeffery, 416 Ruger (400 grain) or 338 win mag (250 grain).

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bighorn
...Take the .375, 270 gr. Barnes TSXes, game over......

This. While I'm a big fan of the .30-'06, a wounded Lord Derby Eland isn't something I'd want to follow up with it. Not to mention they live in places with big, ugly stuff hanging around everywhere.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Any of what I"ve seen would be plenty IMO. I don't have a lot of experience with eland but my buddy just took an old Cape eland in South Africa with my 28 Nosler and 160AB. He shot him at 250 yds quartering away and the bullet was found on the exit side just under the hide.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Ltsheets
Any of what I"ve seen would be plenty IMO. I don't have a lot of experience with eland but my buddy just took an old Cape eland in South Africa with my 28 Nosler and 160AB. He shot him at 250 yds quartering away and the bullet was found on the exit side just under the hide.

I had a similar experience at about 200 yds, broadside in RSA with my eland. However, the LD eland tends to offer fleeting shots as they disappear into the bush. Many shots will require significant penetration and tracking is best avoided. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going across the pond to the Dark Continent is expensive. Both in terms of time and money.
I adhere to the KISS principle. As such, I'd take my .375 H&H stoked with 300gr. TBBC (as that's what it prefers and previously proven effective for me in Zim).

For me, I say screw CAR and forget Lord Derby Eland. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin, I'm going to spend a bit more and go after Bongo!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I haven't shot an Eland but have shot a few moose and my 375 H&H 300 grain Partitions. No problems.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
At present the only safe hunting for both bongo and LDE is Cameroon. CAR has been closed for several years. And there is very little difference in cost....both expensive.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
About 40 large/

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jorge, you wouldn't take you Merkel double? :-)

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
or a 700...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great thread-so far. Gunner, loved your post! smile

Yes, great thread on your part Jorge, I'll just try to keep my clutter down. smile

Trump Won!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've taken eland myself, used a 375 with 300gr AFrames and I was glad I did...wrote this about ten years ago:
MY MOST MEMORABLE HUNT

“Let’s get Big John turned into the wind, ring up twenty five knots and notify the Captain we will be ready to launch the first strike in fifteen minutes….” I was sitting in the Captain’s chair as the duty Command Duty Officer (Underway) awaiting the CO’s return from a meeting with the Admiral commanding our strike group as we prepared to launch the first strike from the USS John F Kennedy (CV 67) against Taliban forces in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. It was hard to imagine that just a month ago, September 11th, 2001, that I was in the middle of Zimbabwe when we heard over the BBC the tragedy that had befallen our country. It just didn’t seem real….

All of a sudden as was their custom, the trackers froze and slowly signaled to my PH, John Sharp to come forward with his binoculars. The two feeding eland bulls were positioned in a clump of scrub mopane and acacia trees about two hundred yards directly ahead of us. John, in his usually precise manner motioned to slowly move up at take a look. “He’s over there on the left, he hissed, about 175 yards. His shoulder is between those two trees, can you see him?” I nodded and quickly got up on the shooting sticks and centered the heavy duplex crosshairs on what looked like the perfect shoulder shot….
The 31st day of August 2001 finally arrived and after an early rise at my home in Orange Park, Florida and the seemingly interminable flights, connections and layovers, my first morning in Africa was finally here and an adventure I anticipated since childhood. Only my desire to be a naval aviator flying jets off aircraft carriers attained greater intensity, but after twenty-two years in Naval Aviation, I was ready for Africa! . After much research I decided to go with one of the legends of the game, Professional Hunter John Sharp out of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I booked a twelve-day Plains Game hunt with John after being thoroughly impressed with his credentials and personality at the SCI Convention in Las Vegas.
After a fascinating drive from Bulawayo, (it’s not often that one gets treated to herds of impala, kudu, impala and even giraffes crossing the four lane asphalt road out of Bulawayo), we arrived at camp. We were hunting on the Malangani Conservancy, a 155,000 plus acre enclave in southeastern Zimbabwe and today part of the Bubyee Conservancy. The habitat in this region is near perfect for all plains game including buffalo, and leopards are also abundant. John runs a tight, glass-smooth operation there, with virtually zero poaching and incursion from the plague of “Mugabe’s “War Veterans” that ravaged and destroyed many farms in the area. Game was plentiful, especially Kudu, where I was fortunate to bag a 58 3/4”bull on the eigth day of the hunt after passing up what I considered over twenty “shootable” specimens.

Camp Malangani, on the shores of a huge lake of the same name, consists of a series of cottages clustered around a thatched, open area dining facility, a beautiful pool and other supporting structures like skinning sheds, vehicle storage areas and staff dwellings. Two huge Daimler-Benz generators provide electrical sufficiency for lighting and other duties, including the pumping of water to strategically located water reservoirs throughout the Conservancy, serving in the office of supplemental water during times of drought. Accommodations were nothing short of luxurious and the service provided by his staff superb. My chalet was positioned on the shore of the lake, which incidentally is full of “good ol” American Stripped Bass, faced west, just a short distance from the main dining area and the traditional fire pit. Every evening prior to and after dinner and under the Southern Cross, we would plan the next day’s hunt around the glow of the fire pit, a Castle Beer and a good cigar in hand. I’m here to tell you that the taste of eland and indeed all the African animals on the menu including zebra, exceeded all of my expectations, with the eland surpassing any cut of beef I had previously tasted. It was truly a dream come true to fall asleep in my comfortable bed in the coolness of the African night and to the sounds of Africa and among the usual racket of insects, but unquestionably, the highlight of my first evening in the African bush were the sounds of literally dozens of animals including eland, zebra, kudu, wildebeest and impala, as they diligently fed on the lush green grasses around my cottage, fed by the waters of Malangani lake. Like a youngster furtively slithering out of bed to catch a glimpse of Santa Claus on Christmas eve, I slowly padded my way to the screen mesh window to catch a glimpse of this truly magnificent spectacle that I often-times read in books and magazines, only now I was doing it for real.
The eland was the biggest trophy on the menu and my second priority after the kudu, proved to be the most difficult to collect. I bagged my kudu on the 8th day, after previously collecting a large zebra stallion, a good representative Tsesebee and a beautiful twenty-two inch impala ram during the first week. On that day, we had been driving along a sandy dry river bed looking for baboons, when this beautiful, tightly curled bull, peered down at us from the edge of the river’s embankment before quickly swapping ends and disappearing over the dry river’s bank. That’s the way hunting in Africa goes, when you are looking and expecting to find a particular trophy, she surprises you with something completely different, in this case a magnificent kudu bull. After a short and textbook-tracking job lasting twenty minutes, he offered a perfect broadside shot at 125 yards and a 300gr 375 through the shoulder paid off with a magnificent 58 3/4” bull that stands as my finest African trophy.

We now concentrated on eland in earnest, with only warthog and bushbuck remaining on my “to do” list. During the course of the previous eight days we had seen quite a few herds of the huge antelope, but unfortunately either we were out of position, on spoor for another animal, or there were just no shootable mature bulls in the herd.
When it comes to their elusiveness, their ability to smell danger that launches them on their signature “galloping sprints”, eland can be quite challenging. If and when they slow down to a walk, and if you are still in range, your best efforts can again be thwarted by shifting wind currents or the alarm shriek of the ubiquitous “Go Away!” bird, the Grey Lourie (Corythaixoides concolor).
Hunting eland is a demanding but rewarding task, requiring total concentration and the presence of mind to take advantage of a situation requiring an instant snap shot at a fleeting giant as he melts into the African bush. Eland do not have a particularly tough reputation for absorbing hits and will drop quickly to a reasonably well-placed shot from an adequate caliber like any of the 300s, but that morning I was carrying my Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H, a cartridge that in my view just seems to fit the whole African experience and a good choice for eland.
I find the eland a fascinating animal. A mature male sports a noticeable “blue-jean” colored dewlap, a distinct shoulder hump, and black-reddish tufted hair on the top of his head, with spiral horn configuration. Bulls measuring over thirty inches in length are considered very good, and anything in excess of thirty-four is outstanding. His glossy tan and striped coat does indeed round out its attributes, making for a beautiful trophy and as I alluded to previously, I had often heard and had now experienced stories on the quality of the meat these huge ruminants were famous for. Although good-natured to the point of being docile, like any wild animal they can be extremely dangerous when wounded and cornered, especially one weighing over a ton.
Eland spooring can be readily identified by their bovine shaped tracks and droppings and also by the singular habit of breaking branches with their horns to access green leaves. I was thoroughly amazed at the ability of John’s head tracker of seventeen years, Isaac to determine how recently eland passed through an area. Tracking prey on their terms with only the trackers skill, your PH’s ability to assess trophy quality and your individual prowess to quickly and accurately “throw down” and squeeze off a round in mere seconds, is hunting in its purest form.
That morning we had set out to explore some eland spoor Issac had spotted the previous evening and with our trackers Isaac & Kevin standing in the back of the Toyota “Bakkie” to better spot game, we began driving the interminable dirt trails cris-crossing the Conservancy, an efficient tactic to locate game. After two hours into the morning hunt, Isaac started tapping the Toyota’s roof, signaling John to stop. He spied a couple of good bulls traveling together and crossing into a nearby thicket. I quickly jumped out of the truck, chambered a round, and the hunt was on as we took up the spoor.
The spooring was going well, as Isaac and Kevin kept a stealthy but deliberate pace on the constantly moving bulls. The spoor was obvious even to this amateur; the broken branches from their horns were numerous along the circuitous route they had taken since the stalk began.
We were about two hundred yards away, when the bulls paused to feed and with the wind in our favor, John had a good opportunity to assess both bulls. “Take the one on the left he quipped, so I snicked off the safety and with my rifle steady on the shooting sticks, the big 375 boomed. I came off recoil and quickly reloaded. I could see that he was down on his hindquarters with Isaac, who is usually calm, anxiously communicating in Shona that I had “shot him in the back!” Just as fast, I placed the crosshairs on the bull’s neck and gave him another 300-grain pill and he was down for good. John and the lads were elated. I however, was not. I could have potentially lost my best trophy and only by chance—and the 375’s heavy projectile that I was able to anchor the huge animal. Quite simply, I aimed for what I thought was his shoulder when in fact it was the animal’s hindquarter. The second bull was halfway hidden but in close proximity thereby presenting a confusing sight picture. Another couple of inches either way and I could have at best had a long tracking job ahead of us or at worst, lost him altogether. On reflection, I realized that I had changed my procedures that on previous shots, I had always asked John “Which way is he facing and how far is he?” In my haste and excitement, I had forgotten to do so and could have cost me big. Carefully we approached the downed bull but he was down for the count. Finally, I was able to enjoy this great trophy. He was a magnificent, old specimen with perfectly symmetrical spiral horns, measuring 34 ½ inches. As always, I stayed with the kill while John and the lads went for the Land Cruiser some three miles away. I settled myself against a small tree, flipped open a bottle of Coke and topped off the day with a fine Macanudo. I hunted for four more days, rounding out my safari by taking a gorgeous impala and a very nice wildebeest, but the eland remains my favorite hunt of that trip. It was done the real way, “walking it up” as the locals say and a day I will long remember. Africa has another disciple and deer hunting back home will never be the same. Now it’s back to sea duty and naval aviation, but the “spirit of the hunt” will remain with me, only this time it’ll be in the “Gulf”, hunting an entirely different and more dangerous animal.

EQUIPMENT SIDEBAR
I’m a firm believer in redundancy and plan accordingly. For this hunt I took to rifles and either one could fill the bill for the animals on my trophy list. A Winchester Model 70 Super Express in 375 H&H topped with a Leupold 1.75X6X32mm heavy duplex reticle and hand loaded 300gr Swift A Frames. (As you can see in the photograph the Swifts performed flawlessly with virtually 100% weight retention, near perfect mushrooming and superb penetration. From left to right they were recovered from Zebra, wildebeest and eland while the lat one on the right is a 180gr Hornady Interlock from an impala).

My other rifle is also a proven African performer a Weatherby MKV Deluxe with a Zeiss Diavari 3x9X36 variable and factory Weatherby ammo. Optics also included Cabelas’Alaskan Guide 8X42 binoculars
You can see the blood trail on the ham, where I busted the pelvic girdle with the first shot. Ergo, large caliber saved my ass...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting the story, and pics. Very nice description of the dewlap on the eland being 'blue jean' in color. Does John still hunt this area, or has the mugabe crowd overrun it now?

I'd love to have some eland steaks to throw on the grill tonight!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's now part of the Bubye Conservancy. Yes the steaks were great that night!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice read Jorge. Eland steaks are my favorite.

I've been contemplating going "grocery shopping" here in Texas and slaying an Eland for the freezer, but concerned with the difference in diet if they would taste the same.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Jorge - great story of your hunt. I enjoyed!

Regards, Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge, you make a great case for the .375 H&H. It's a classic and for a reason.

DF

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Take a .375 with 300gr quality bullets and get over all the angst. I have shot everything from elephant down to red duiker with it and no complaints. You can over think and over analyze anything and this thread proves it....you don't need to hand load or chronograph anything. Factory ammo kills 10 times as much as handloads all over the world. Now let the flaming begin. If your .375 load isn't traveling at 2478fps instead of 2368 fps it won't kill anything. What a joke.

Last edited by jdollar; 08/22/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jdollar
Take a .375 with 300gr quality bullets and get over all the angst. I have shot everything from elephant down to red duiker with it and no complaints. You can over think and over analyze anything and this thread proves it....you don't need to hand load or chronograph anything. Factory ammo kills 10 times as much as handloads all over the world. Now let the flaming begin. If your .375 load isn't traveling at 2478fps instead of 2368 fps it won't kill anything. What a joke.

Careful with the logic, J... wink

Of course, you're right. But this IS the Fire... blush

And, a belated welcome to you.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great animal Jorge, I'll hopefully drill one soon and get to try those Eland steaks, can't wait.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being that an eland is the size of an Alaskan moose, I'd be a bit hesitant to purposefully go after one with a .243 regardless of which bullet I used...and I say that as a stout and devoted supporter of .22 CFs on deer; even big mule deer.

I'd start to feel comfortable with a stout 130 grain .277" bullet, but would take a .300 Mag of some sort in your hypothetical situation. As for a bullet, I'd love to whack one with a 200 grain original Speer grand slam (the best bullet ever made for game IMO), but an A-Frame, accubond, Interbond, TBBC or even a partition would be where I would really start to feel comfortable.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for that real world experience MD, I'm thinking hard about the 275 gr old style Bitterroot Bonded Cores at 2700 fps in a pre-64 375 H&H using a fast 1.5-5 Leupold.

What is a fast Leupold scope? And 2700fps seems a bit fast. Is Bitterroot still in business?

Last edited by jdollar; 08/22/17.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Fast, as in quick bracketing of animals at 1.5 power, and no, Bitterroot is out of business, I bought BSA's pre-64 375 H&H and he graciously threw in a bag of the 275 gr BBC's, actually, with 79 grains of RL-17 they run 2755 fps, chronoed one round, shot a 3/4" three shot group and have 16 rounds left for hunting. smile

Quickest load work up I've ever done.

Trump Won!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jdollar

That burr in your saddle must really be bothersome and making you read stuff I didn't write. There is no "angst", there is no issues with attaining a certain velocity or anything else, for the simple reason I'm not going anywhere.
As to hand loaded ammo, is that a factual number or something you pulled out from "somewhere"? I'm not doubting your statistics, just your relevance to the topic at hand and some of us DO enjoy hand loading. Oh and since I did reference bullets in my article, here's a picture of the recovered bullets in question. Whisky works wonders for burrs is saddles BTW.

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One more point of discussion. Craig Boddington, who has over one hundred and twenty (!) safaris under his belt, relates a story in one of his books where he lost out on what was going to be his biggest kudu. Why? because he had with him a 3006 and the animal only presented him with a "Texas Heart Shot" (sic). He goes onto say, had he been carrying his 375, the shot would have been a no-brainer. Granted this was early on in his career where bullet technology was not what it is today (Partitions were around), but regardless, my point continues to be that shot placement/bullet construction are not always the end be all.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.......the animal only presented him with a "Texas Heart Shot" (sic). He goes onto say, had he been carrying his 375, the shot would have been a no-brainer.

I see what you did there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Nice read Jorge. Eland steaks are my favorite.

I've been contemplating going "grocery shopping" here in Texas and slaying an Eland for the freezer, but concerned with the difference in diet if they would taste the same.

I'm willing to try "corn fed" eland. Works for Black Angus! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Texas Eland may be my best shot at one of those steaks. I hear they are great table fare.

I know how good S TX Nilgai meat tastes, some say Eland is even better.

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One more point of discussion. Craig Boddington, who has over one hundred and twenty (!) safaris under his belt, relates a story in one of his books where he lost out on what was going to be his biggest kudu. Why? because he had with him a 3006 and the animal only presented him with a "Texas Heart Shot" (sic). He goes onto say, had he been carrying his 375, the shot would have been a no-brainer. Granted this was early on in his career where bullet technology was not what it is today (Partitions were around), but regardless, my point continues to be that shot placement/bullet construction are not always the end be all.

This is a very pertinent example, in my view. Let me add one from my experience in Zim in 2015. As you may recall, my friend, after much discussion with you, Ingwe, JB, Paladin, and of course John Sharpe, I had decided to leave my second rifle (a Sako 338 Win Mag) at home and shoot whatever I had to shoot with my 375 H&H and 300 gr Swift A-Frames. The cartridges were my own handloads, proven in my rifle during the 3 months leading up to my safari over and over and over again. I won't disagree with jdollar's statistics on the proportion of game killed worldwide with factory vs handloaded ammo, that is a completely irrelevant factor as far as I'm concerned; I used my own handloads for the same reason I've done 99% or more of my game-killing with my own handloaded ammunition, and the same reason I've caught at least 99% of the trout and salmon I've caught on my own hand-tied flies: it gives me great satisfaction to do so.

In any case, I had made the decision to go with the 375 H&H/300 gr Swift combination for everything, and had practiced with the combination extensively at ranges from 10 yards with irons to 300 yards with BOTH scopes I planned to take with me. I was confident I could place my bullets precisely anywhere in that range.

We had been hunting kudu quite hard for two days after killing my big Cape buffalo. This was Day 5 of my safari. It was late in the day, and we were headed home. The sun was barely above the mopane brush on our left, and I had pretty much given u pfor the day after several long walks in the bush chasing kudu tracks. I was hot and thirsty and really looking forward to a cool sundowner and my pipe, which I'd left in camp at lunch by mistake.

Suddenly John hit the brakes and said in a low voice, "Look at that monster!" I couldn't see The Monster, but on his say-so I spilled out the left side of the Land Cruiser and worked the bolt of my rifle as John peeled out behind me. We moved carefully to the back of the truck and peeked around the corner. There in the mopane scrub, a scarce 50 yards away, was a great gorgeous kudu bull. John whispered that he was "a big one", which from previous discussions meant it was close to 60", about as big as kudu get in the Bubye Valley Conservancy herd.

I put my sights on him, centering the thick post of the Trijicon Accupoint sight on his left shoulder 1/3 of the way up, and the rifle roared. I brought the rifle back down and worked the bolt simultaneously, looked for him with both eyes and the scope, but he was gone. Isaac, the tracker, twirled his finger in the air and said, "Zeezeezee!", indicating my bullet had ricocheted off a twig and likely missed the bull. Oh, well, thinks I, there goes my one shot today, but we'll get another tomorrow. When we followed up the shot we found a thumb-size branch cut off about 10 yards from the kudu's tracks, accounting for my miss. How I failed to see this branch when lining up the shot should have been a clue to me, and we were shortly to have even more trouble with this. The short version is that the bright green triangle at the top of my scope's reticle was too bright for the failing afternoon light, and in my ophthalmic cortex the necessary adjustments were flooding out the details of little things like intervening brush.

We were about to return to the truck when Isaac hissed, and we all looked to the right, and the kudu was just standing there, 50 yards away, just looking at us! John whispered at me to take the shot if I could, but it was too tight in the bush for the sticks, and I hurried my offhand shot, and missed again. The kudu ran off, but this time Isaac sang out that I had hit him, but maybe too far back. My heart sank. A wounded kudu in the African bush costs the same as a dead kudu in the back of the Land Cruiser, and I knew we had limited time to track him and finish him.

We tracked him several hundred yards back into the bush. Isaac insisted the bull was dragging one hind leg, and John translated that the tracker thought I'd gut-shot him. "No way," I insisted. My sights had been right on the shoulder when I let fly, the bull was broadside, and there was no chance of a hit that far back. But Isaac's opinion carried a lot more weight on the trail than mine at that point, so what I knew didn't really count for much.

Then we came across the bull again. He had made a wide half-circle by this time, and he was now west of us, with the setting sun almost behind him. Bad light. I could see him, but not well, and through the scope he was invisible. I tried changing my line, but no go... he simply vanished in the scope. Then he turned to his right, and suddenly his entire left side caught the sun and he stood out brilliantly in the dark brush. John was telling me to take my rifle off the sticks, that we would try to maneuver closer, but I saw the bull so clearly! In my mind was the knowledge that the bull was hit and wounded, and aside from my lost trophy fee this part of the Bubye is crawling with lions, which meant he'd be feline fodder by midnight with a bullet wound in his hindquarter. I couldn't let that happen.

So I put the post on his left flank and pulled the trigger. The rifle roared, and my hunter looked at me incredulously; he hadn't seen what I'd seen, and he clearly thought that my shot was folly. But Isaac shouted that I'd hit the bull hard, and dashed forward ten yards and called out that the bull was down. Sure enough, he was, and that was that. The kudu turned out to be only 53", nowhere near the anticipated 60", but that's the trick of the light in the bush. No matter, he was a beauty, and he was mine. He was down, mortally wounded, unable to rise; I put a finishing shot in his chest as he lay on the ground, and that was that.

I went to the skinning shed and stayed with the skinners to see what had happened. It turned out the bull was in fact unwounded before my shot into his flank, despite the trackers' insistence that I had wounded him. That gave me some satisfaction. But what gave me more satisfaction was finding the first Swift A-Frame under the skin of the offside (right) shoulder. The bullet had mushroomed very little, which was the expected result for a shot that did not hit bone.

The bullet travelled from his left flank, just forward of the hindquarter, throught the paunch, the ventricle of the heart, the right lung, and the right shoulder. It was exactly the performance I had anticipated this bullet in this caliber would give me. There is no chance that the 225 gr Accubond bullet I shoot in my 388 Win Mag would have been able to make that shot and kill that kudu.

And that is why I would take my 375 H&H with 300 gr A-Frames for Lord Derby Eland in the CAR, Jorge.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/24/17. Reason: damn thing posted before I was finished typing

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
375, either H&H or Weatherby.

I have both, both built on Model 70s. Both weigh the same and are equally accurate. Both wear the same Swaro scopes, 1.5-6x-42 PHs.

270 TSXs in the H&H or 300 TSXs in the Wby.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
There is no chance that the 225 gr Accubond bullet I shoot in my 388 Win Mag would have been able to make that shot and kill that kudu.

And that is why I would take my 375 H&H with 300 gr A-Frames for Lord Derby Eland in the CAR, Jorge.

prexactly. There's a reason for the adage"Use Enough Gun"....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

This is a very pertinent example, in my view. Let me add one from my experience in Zim in 2015. As you may recall, my friend, after much discussion with you, Ingwe, JB, Paladin, and of course John Sharpe, I had decided to leave my second rifle (a Sako 338 Win Mag) at home and shoot whatever I had to shoot with my 375 H&H and 300 gr Swift A-Frames. The cartridges were my own handloads, proven in my rifle during the 3 months leading up to my safari over and over and over again. I won't disagree with jdollar's statistics on the proportion of game killed worldwide with factory vs handloaded ammo, that is a completely irrelevant factor as far as I'm concerned; I used my own handloads for the same reason I've done 99% or more of my game-killing with my own handloaded ammunition, and the same reason I've caught at least 99% of the trout and salmon I've caught on my own hand-tied flies: it gives me great satisfaction to do so.

In any case, I had made the decision to go with the 375 H&H/300 gr Swift combination for everyth10 yardsing, and had practiced with the combination extensively at ranges from 10 yards with irons to 300 yards with BOTH scopes I had with me. I was confident I could place my bullets precisely anywhere in that range.

We had been hunting kudu quite hard for two days after killing my big Cape buffalo. This was Day 5 of my safari. It was late in the day, and we were headed home. The sun was barely above the mopane brush on our left, and I had pretty much given u pfor the day after several long walks in the bush chasing kudu tracks. I was hot and thirsty and really looking forward to a cool sundowner and my pipe, which I'd left in camp at lunch by mistake.

Suddenly John hit the brakes and said in a low voice, "Look at that monster!" I couldn't see The Monster, but on his say-so I spilled out the left side of the Land Cruiser and worked the bolt of my rifle as John peeled out behind me. We moved carefully to the back of the truck and peeked around the corner. There in the mopane scrub, a scarce 50 yards away, was a great gorgeous kudu bull. John whispered that he was "a big one", which from previous discussions meant it was close to 60", about as big as kudu get in the Bubye Valley Conservancy herd.

I put my sights on him, centering the thick post of the Trijicon Accupoint sight on his left shoulder 1/3 of the way up, and the rifle roared. I brought the rifle back down and worked the bolt simultaneously, looked for him with both eyes and the scope, but he was gone. Isaac, the tracker, twirled his finger in the air and said, "Zeezeezee!", indicating my bullet had ricocheted off a twig and likely missed the bull. Oh, well, thinks I, there goes my one shot today, but we'll get another tomorrow. When we followed up the shot we found a thumb-size branch cut off about 10 yards from the kudu's tracks, accounting for my miss. How I failed to see this branch when lining up the shot should have been a clue to me, and we were shortly to have even more trouble with this. The short version is that the bright green triangle at the top of my scope's reticle was too bright for the failing afternoon light, and in my ophthalmic cortex the necessary adjustments were flooding out the details of little things like intervening brush.

We were about to return to the truck when Isaac hissed, and we all looked to the right, and the kudu was just standing there, 50 yards away, just looking at us! John whispered at me to take the shot if I could, but it was too tight in the bush for the sticks, and I hurried my offhand shot, and missed again. The kudu ran off, but this time Isaac sang out that I had hit him, but maybe too far back. My heart sank. A wounded kudu in the African bush costs the same as a dead kudu in the back of the Land Cruiser, and I knew we had limited time to track him and finish him.

We tracked him several hundred yards back into the bush. Isaac insisted the bull was dragging one hind leg, and John translated that the tracker thought I'd gut-shot him. "No way," I insisted. My sights had been right on the shoulder when I let fly, the bull was broadside, and there was no chance of a hit that far back. But Isaac's opinion carried a lot more weight on the trail than mine at that point, so what I knew didn't really count for much.

Then we came across the bull again. He had made a wide half-circle by this time, and he was now west of us, with the setting sun almost behind him. Bad light. I could see him, but not well, and through the scope he was invisible. I tried changing my line, but no go... he simply vanished in the scope. Then he turned to his right, and suddenly his entire right side caught the sun and he stood out brilliantly in the dark brush. John was telling me to take my rifle off the sticks, that we would try to maneuver closer, but I saw the bull so clearly! In my mind was the knowledge that the bull was hit and wounded, and aside from my lost trophy fee this part of the Bubye is crawling with lions, which meant he'd be feline fodder by midnight with a bullet wound in his hindquarter. I couldn't let that happen.

So I put the post on his left flank and pulled the trigger. The rifle roared, and my hunter looked at me incredulously; he hadn't seen what I'd seen, and he clearly thought that my shot was folly. But Isaac shouted that I'd hit the bull hard, and dashed forward ten yards and called out that the bull was down. Sure enough, he was, and that was that. The kudu turned out to be only 53", nowhere near the anticipated 60", but that's the trick of the light in the bush. No matter, he was a beauty, and he was mine. He was down, mortally wounded, unable to rise; I put a finishing shot in his chest as he lay on the ground, and that was that.

I went to the skinning shed and stayed with the skinners to see what had happened. It turned out the bull was in fact unwounded before my shot into his flank, despite the trackers' insistence that I had wounded him. That gave me some satisfaction. But what gave me more satisfaction was finding the first Swift A-Frame under the skin of the offside (right) shoulder. The bullet had mushroomed very little, which was the expected result for a shot that did not hit bone.

The bullet travelled from his left flank, just forward of the hindquarter, throught the paunch, the ventricle of the heart, the right lung, and the right shoulder. It was exactly the performance I had anticipated this bullet in this caliber would give me. There is no chance that the 225 gr Accubond bullet I shoot in my 388 Win Mag would have been able to make that shot and kill that kudu.

That's a hell of a story Doc, Thanks! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've taken eland myself, used a 375 with 300gr AFrames and I was glad I did..

Some have used their favorite .303cal SxS chronographing 175gnRN 2000mv and drilled their eland dead at 195yd.

There is no right or wrong with your choice vs his.... he wanted to hunt with his .303cal double and accepted what shots
he could and shouldnt take, the PH in his judgement accepted his choice and guided him onto success.

I would rather hear about hunts like that, than the one where a client wanted to bring 'enough gun', then completely misses
his record book jumbo at under 15 yds with .500cal...the fool was probably mind drunk on too much Ruark and Mark Sullivan.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman

Some have used their favorite .303cal SxS chronographing 175gnRN 2000mv and drilled their eland dead at 195yd.

Please provide the bullet manufacturer making 175gr RN in 303 caliber, and still waiting on your personal experiences with all of this. Google is not always right you know..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just use a 45-70 loaded with Garret Hammerheads. Problem solved, guaranteed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Just use a 45-70 loaded with Garret Hammerheads. Problem solved, guaranteed.

Pushed by a smoky load of holy black.. shocked

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
DocRocket - thanks for the kudu story!

Hunting... Things happen! Congrats on the kudu.

Having only a little experience with the .338 & .375, I thought they were more similar in capabilities. Interesting. I surely do like my 375, but haven't worked it real hard, just a few black bears.

Regards, Guy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guy, you're welcome. I put that up for y'all to read because it was an object lesson of inestimable value to me, and if it will help someone else down the road, so much the better. I frankly would not have taken that raking shot if I hadn't been sure the kudu was wounded already. But having seen the effect of it, I am now convinced of the power of the rifle, load, and bullet I used. I shouldn't have said that the .338/225 AB combination wouldn't have been able to duplicate the results, because I haven't tested the .338/225 combo on such a shot. But I am skeptical that anything short of a heavy-for-caliber A-Frame, North Fork, or similarly tough bullet in the .338 would have sufficed.

The beauty of it for me is that I find my 375 H&H far more comfortable to shoot than my .338 Win Mag. This is no doubt due to having spent a lot more time shooting the 375 from hunting positions than I have the .338, so perhaps I need to spend some more time at the range with the Sako before I make a rash decision to sell it off!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

There is no right or wrong with your choice vs his.... he wanted to hunt with his .303cal double and accepted what shots
he could and shouldnt take, the PH in his judgement accepted his choice and guided him onto success.

I would rather hear about hunts like that, than the one where a client wanted to bring 'enough gun', then completely misses
his record book jumbo at under 15 yds with .500cal...the fool was probably mind drunk on too much Ruark and Mark Sullivan.

Well, I've collected a few head of game with a sporterized Lee-Enfield .303, but I've never seen a double .303 nor a 175 grain load for it. 180's were the most common load when I grew up, although IIRC C.I.L. made a 174 gr load as well.

I've interviewed quite a few PH's over the past 4-5 years for a project I'm working on, and they almost all tell me that the vast majority of their clients these days show up with a rifle they are quite competent with, regardless of caliber. I wonder if the tales you're referring to are just that... tales, not facts. One PH told me that 25 years ago it was not uncommon for a man to show up in camp with a brand new rifle he didn't know how to handle, but that that has become a rare thing in the present day.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Correctomundo, Doc. never seen one in 175. The original service round (BP) was a 215gr and the final MK VII round was 174. There is also a 150gr as well. On the double, our own Gunner500 has a LOVELY 303 SXS.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good to know Jerry has one! As a non-British Commonwealth person, he should rightfully surrender that immediately to the nearest appropriate British Commonwealth person (subject of HM Elizabeth Regina), who would, of course, be me ...

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Makes sense. You know, Havana was at one time under British Rule, so...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
There is no chance that the 225 gr Accubond bullet I shoot in my 388 Win Mag would have been able to make that shot and kill that kudu.

A 225 grain TSX would penetrate enough in my experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've never seen a double .303

Just because you havent seen one doesnt mean they dont exist.
Numerous well known UK makers competed to produce .303cal SxS rifles at one point, take your pick...

Purdey & Sons
J.Rigby & Co
Westley Richards
Holland & Holland
George Gibbs
Daniel Frazer
Boss & Co.
W J Jeffery
Henry Atkin
R B Rodda
James McNaughton
John Dickson & Son
Alexander Henry
Thomas Bland & Sons
William Evans
Manton & Co.
Webley Scott
Army & Navy
Charles Lancaster
J.Woodward & Sons.

...nor a 175 grain load for it.

Well since you have never seen a .303 SxS in your life I very much doubt you would have ever gazed apon
catridges an owner handloaded for such.

I wonder if the tales you're referring to are just that... tales, not facts.

Its only the internet , so you are free to keep wondering or questioning anything and everything.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I've never seen a double .303

Just because you havent seen one doesnt mean they dont exist.
Numerous well known UK makers competed to produce .303cal SxS rifles at one point, take your pick...

Purdey & Sons
J.Rigby & Co
Westley Richards
Holland & Holland
George Gibbs
Daniel Frazer
Boss & Co.
W J Jeffery
Henry Atkin
R B Rodda
James McNaughton
John Dickson & Son
Alexander Henry
Thomas Bland & Sons
William Evans
Manton & Co.
Webley Scott
Army & Navy
Charles Lancaster

...nor a 175 grain load for it.

Well since you have never seen a .303 SxS in your life I very much doubt you would have ever gazed apon
catridges an owner handloaded for such.

I wonder if the tales you're referring to are just that... tales, not facts.

Its only the internet , so you are free to keep wondering or questioning anything and everything.

I see the google-guru strikes again. My, aren't we touchy. Even an idiot like you should have been able to discern he was not questioning your veracity, but merely demonstrating an interest in 303 doubles. Oh, still waiting for that 175gr .311 bullet manufacturer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 270 TSX got a real foot hold and has an almost cult following, probably because it works.

The newer 250 TTSX has a better B.C., can be pushed a bit faster, shoots flatter, but you don't see much written about it. It looks like a pretty good bullet for a "stepchild".

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't see why the 250 .375 TSX would not be an excellent bullet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good to know Jerry has one! As a non-British Commonwealth person, he should rightfully surrender that immediately to the nearest appropriate British Commonwealth person (subject of HM Elizabeth Regina), who would, of course, be me ...

Since I live between you two, I shall take it upon myself to act as deliveryman. Of course, it takes a very long time to travel from my place to Corpus Christi, maybe five or ten years if weather and road conditions cooperate. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I don't see why the 250 .375 TTSX would not be an excellent bullet.

Fixed it for you.

My point, I think it is an excellent bullet. The TTSX reportedly has a bigger hollow point under the tip and opens better than the non-tipped version.

It doesn't seem to get much press, not what it seems to deserve.

On big, tough African DG, maybe the TSX penetrates better than the TTSX, just guessing. But a big mono should dig pretty deep, anyway.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've never seen a double .303 nor a 175 grain load for it...

Correctomundo, Doc. never seen one in 175....The original service round (BP) was a 215gr and the final MK VII round was 174.

You have never seen or heard of any .303 British ball Mk7 and Mk8 both in 175gn....? They were using that kind of stuff way back 1940s.
what about .303cal 190 grain ball, never heard of that either?

...he was not questioning your veracity, but merely demonstrating an interest in 303 doubles.

His comment was ambiguous, with no expressed interest in .303 SxS rifles
again, fallacies are all you have jorge... wink
the makers list is for the benefit of ALL readers who have interest in .303 SxS rifles.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have not heard of a MK VII (7) round in 175gr. Just 174.

The MK VIII (8) was in 175, really made for the Vickers MG, but again, both military rounds and anybody in their right mind would be loathe to use them on a nice double. And you're still an ass, but were still waiting for your answers,,,

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/26/17.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Since I live between you two, I shall take it upon myself to act as deliveryman. Of course, it takes a very long time to travel from my place to Corpus Christi, maybe five or ten years if weather and road conditions cooperate. grin

Ed

LOL Doc and Jorge, and yes, beings Ed's the centerline benchmark way point, he'll be delegated issuance.laugh to be serious, all three of you guys are welcome to use that little double on a hunt, just let me know when and where ;]

The little 215 gr Woodleighs regulate beautifully at 2165 fps, ask Whelen Nut, he pulled up and rang TexnCals 100 yard steel with both barrels.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Ed

LOL Doc and Jorge, and yes, beings Ed's the centerline benchmark way point, he'll be delegated issuance.laugh to be serious, all three of you guys are welcome to use that little double on a hunt, just let me know when and where ;]

The little 215 gr Woodleighs regulate beautifully at 2165 fps, ask Whelen Nut, he pulled up and rang TexnCals 100 yard steel with both barrels.

Man, you guys all in one place. That would call for a film crew... laugh

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
...Man, you guys all in one place. That would call for a film crew... laugh

DF

No, it would call for a total media blackout. grin

I have a reputation to maintain and blackmail is such an ugly word. laugh

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh ACTION!!!!!..................................................................................................

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
...Man, you guys all in one place. That would call for a film crew... laugh

DF

No, it would call for a total media blackout. grin

I have a reputation to maintain and blackmail is such an ugly word. laugh

Ed

Evidence... blush

And, you could trust us with the DVD, We're not like those Dems who Bleachbit a hard drive, bust up electonic devices with hammers, hide emails, then lie about it.

We'd make sure it went viral... cool

Full disclosure, don't ya know... laugh

Inquiring minds and such... wink

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not heard of a MK VII (7) round in 175gr. Just 174.

The MK VIII (8) was in 175, really made for the Vickers MG, but again, both military rounds and anybody in their right mind would be loathe to use them on a nice double. And you're still an ass, but were still waiting for your answers,,,

Yes, Mark VII's were 174. I used to shoot up a bunch of them.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

JWP, I decided to test some 225 TTSXs. Got 2875 fps, easy bolt opening, no pressure (apparent) and this three shot group at 100. Rifle is a pre-64 Custom Shop rig w a Leupold VX-6 2X20X42 (ill duplex). It's my designated "cate rifle and it shoots anything you feed it. Had it sighted in w 210 TTSXs at 2930 fps, but JBM calculator has the 225 a bit less flat at 300.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd take my old FN/Sako in 375 Wby and shoot 300gr Partitions at around 2,800 fps, in other words, their factory offering. I can't load it any better or faster. It's a hammer at both ends.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

You have never seen or heard of any .303 British ball Mk7 and Mk8 both in 175gn....? They were using that kind of stuff way back 1940s.
what about .303cal 190 grain ball, never heard of that either?

Mk VII was a 174 gn bullet and Mk 8 while nominally a 175 gn bullet (though heavier bullets were sometimes loaded) was for beltfed machinegun use. While it could be de-linked such use was for emergencies only, as the Mk 8 load was known to be very erosive of rifle bores. It would be unlikely that anyone would pull apart some Vickers gun ammo to shoot in their double, and nor would it regulate if the rifle was regulated for standard 215 gn (as those I've seen have been) or Mk VII ammo.

As well, the Mk 8 ball load is not what you actually described:

A 175 gn RN at 2000 fps doesn't match any .303 load of which I'm aware, and I've owned and used .303s for the better part of 40 years. Nominal velocity for a 174 Mk VII in a SMLE is 2440 fps, 400-odd fps higher. Who built a double to regulate for such a downloaded round?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz
It would be unlikely that anyone would pull apart some Vickers gun ammo to shoot in their double,

I havent claimed anybody did such thing., it was simply a response to those two who said they had never heard of
.303 175gn ammunition....nothing more nothing less.

As well, the Mk 8 ball load is not what you actually described:

Thats great, since nowhere have I said Mk8 and handloaded Hornady RN were the same thing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hornady's .303 RN is a 174 gn bullet, not 175. I have a box of them on the shelf in my gunroom. As well, you still have the issue of regulation with your "handload" to address. It tends to be quite tricky with smaller calibre doubles. Unless of course you are just making stuff up ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady's .303 RN is a 174 gn bullet, not 175..

LOL yes I know, is called a little typo...and by your own admission you still knew exactly which Hornady RN bullet I meant,
it could only be that one, right?

you still have the issue of regulation

and you proved to have trouble with basic straight forward english.
you accused the seperate Mk8 as not being the handloaded Hornady RN i described.
which makes zero sense.

Now, regarding regulation, I know you can regulate .303 SxS to a different weight by playing around with powers,
or the more expensive regulation option of having barrels heated- jig adjusted then test fired etc, with the handload
of ones preference....sorry, I dont know how the .303 double owner had it done.

Unless of course you are just making stuff up ...

Not me, but somebody else maybe....I am not a member of AR but have outwardly followed some interesting threads
over the yrs. .303 sxs 175RN Hornady was posted there under something about calibres for eland or other.
The complete .500cal miss <15 yd jumbo report was posted by a long time regular member that frequented the Af. section,
nobody else of the regular circle D-G AR 'Africa' crowd called him out..BS or exaggeration?. I dont know....how do you tell?

iF I told you a guy desperately needed to borrow another spare big cal. rifle to kill his elephant with 13 or so shots total ,
because he only came afield with only 6 or so rounds, while a well know PH just watched the whole protracted fiasco unfold,
would you believe it?....yes or no?.....ive seen footage a few times, will try to find it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[
I've interviewed quite a few PH's over the past 4-5 years for a project I'm working on, and they almost all tell me that the vast majority of their clients these days show up with a rifle they are quite competent with, regardless of caliber. I wonder if the tales you're referring to are just that... tales, not facts. One PH told me that 25 years ago it was not uncommon for a man to show up in camp with a brand new rifle he didn't know how to handle, but that that has become a rare thing in the present day.

I think that part of that phenomina is that RSA and Nambian hunts can now be done in 7-10 days, and are affordable to a much larger range of working stiff than the classic safaris were. Before the late 1980's there was not much of a safari industry in South Africa, much less Nambia. I went during the Aparthied years, and an American was a curiosity. Traditional safaris in Botswana, Tanzania or going back to Kenya were still largely 21 day full bag affairs that were expensive, and affordable largely to a wealthier clientele that weren't red neck gun nuts.

Now, red neck gun nuts (us) can save up enough cash to do a 10 day 7 animal RSA hunt, and work up 2 rifles and loads to go with it.

Next part of the eqaution is where the clients are from. Brits don't practice much, and neither do most Europeans. No opportunity.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The above post has so much inane, wrong bullshit why bother pointing it out but preserved for posterity...

LOL yes I know, is called a little typo...and by your own admission you still knew exactly which Hornady RN bullet I meant,

you accused the seperate Mk8 as not being the handloaded Hornady RN i described.
which makes zero sense.

Now, regarding regulation, I know you can regulate .303 SxS to a different weight by playing around with powers,
or the more expensive regulation option of having the barrels heated then test fired etc, with the handload of ones
preference....sorry, I cannot really tell you how the .303 double owner had it done.

Not me, but somebody else maybe....I am not a member of AR but have outwardly followed some interesting threads
over the yrs. .303 sxs 175RN Hornady was posted there under something about calibres for eland or other.
The complete .500cal miss <15 yd jumbo report was posted by a long time regular member that frequented the Af. section,
nobody else of the regular circle D-G AR 'Africa' crowd called him out..BS or exaggeration?. I dont know....how do you tell?

iF I told you a guy desperately needed to borrow another spare big cal. rifle to kill his elephant with 13 or so shots total ,
because he only came afield with only 6 or so rounds, while a well know PH just watched the whole protracted fiasco unfold,
would you believe it?....yes or no?.....ive seen footage a few times, will try to find it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The above post has so much inane, wrong bullshit why bother pointing it out but preserved for posterity...

which makes zero sense.

or the more expensive regulation option of having the barrels heated then test fired etc, with the handload of ones
preference....sorry, I cannot really tell you how the .303 double owner had it done.

You're right. The bloke is either very drunk, or a complete idiot. Maybe both.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That would be an insult to drunks and stupid people...

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

If that's the choice, the answer's obvious: .375. Personally I would use North Fork 300 grain soft points, having had success with them in the past.

But everything has it's purpose. John Kingsley-Heath, in his book, "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa," claims that the .243 is the best cartridge for leopard over bait. Why? Because the nervous system of cats is very susceptible to shock from high velocity and leopards don't weigh very much.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Begs the question, "Is there "too much" gun? Well, maybe. As you have seen, I have a full mount bongo. Took him with my .450 #2 NE in the shoulder with 500 gr Woodliegh SP. Taxidermist had some work to cover up the exit hole. smile

Truth is, mostly because the hide was not prepared well in the field, but that is another story.

If I had that hunt to do over, I'd use my 9.3 x 62, though I can't think of a better hunt to use a Savage 99 TD in .300.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
[
But everything has it's purpose. John Kingsley-Heath, in his book, "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa," claims that the .243 is the best cartridge for leopard over bait. Why? Because the nervous system of cats is very susceptible to shock from high velocity and leopards don't weigh very much.

Well, there's another example. I have that book as well. But he's a PH, so what does he know (sarcasm font on)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
again,
You can regulate a SxS using a range of handloaded power charge loads to see which prints better
as well as via heated-jig adjusted barrels.

IF a person has one of the very early .303 SxS rifles there is likely no orig. spec. regulation ammunition availiable
and no new current equvilent on the shelf....so what do owners shoot through them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
again,
You can regulate a SxS using a range of handloaded power charge loads to see which prints better
as well as via heated-jig adjusted barrels.

IF a person has one of the very early .303 SxS rifles there is likely no orig. spec. regulation ammunition availiable
and no new current equvilent on the shelf....so what do owners shoot through them?

WHAT are you talking about? If you can handload, you can get a load to regulate. Woodleigh makes bullets very similar in profile to the old Kynoch bullets.

Here, have some 215g Weldcores:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...weldcore-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-50

In a pinch, substitute equal charge of IMR 3031 to the original Cordite load. Work it up, of course. Worked in my Jeffery's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One more point of discussion. Craig Boddington, who has over one hundred and twenty (!) safaris under his belt, relates a
story in one of his books where he lost out on what was going to be his biggest kudu. Why? because he had with him a 3006 and the animal
only presented him with a "Texas Heart Shot" (sic). He goes onto say, had he been carrying his 375, the shot would have been a no-brainer..

since you get aroused by Boddington so much...

Rifleshooter Sep 23, 2010
" My daughter Brittany is a bit more sensitive to recoil. She doesn’t like to go beyond her 7mm-08 unless absolutely necessary. Last year, using
a 140-grain Nosler Partition, she took a monstrous eland cleanly with her 7mm-08. Again, shot placement is almost everything, and I fear guys
like me make too much of the perfect caliber and cartridge selection".

Rifleshooter Jan 4, 2011
"...nearly 30 years ago I lost the first leopard I shot. I hit him too high with a .375 H&H, and the next morning we lost the spoor.
Had I hit him properly, of course, we would have recovered him.......back then I thought a bigger hammer was always better.
Today I’m much less sure of that."

John Kingsley-Heath, in his book, "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa," claims that the .243 is the best cartridge for leopard over bait.
Why? Because the nervous system of cats is very susceptible to shock from high velocity and leopards don't weigh very much.

Well, there's another example. I have that book as well....

Well jorge, go to AR African Hunting forum and tell the regular DG guys and PHs you would hunt leopard. with .243win
because you read it in another one of your books....Im confident I can predict the tone and nature of responses.

ensure you explain them the static (or is it dynamic?) voodoo shock theory.

curious,.... is Col. Craig Boddington of '120+ safaris' fame, onboard with the shock theory you push???

..Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this
,........I'm more a guy that believes in experience, and not what you read from a book.
....What I'm trying to say is, listen to what has been observed through our own eyes rather than what some book says.

and please clear up for readers your own confusion and double talk..
..do you believe what you read in a myriad of books......Yes or No?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes he does, butthole. The fact remains he WROTE that about the kudu AND related it to me in person. So how many kudu have you shot? But nice dodge on all the bullshit you try to pass on as personal knowledge. The point of my cogent, well-reasoned post you seem to be enamored with, is not a contradiction but obviously you are to dense to capture. I know Craig personally and he sure as hell subscribes to the notion of high velocity on cats. Further, the folks I've quoted, (like Dr. Kevin Roberston & Sullivan to name three) I've also spoken with them on this and a variety of other subjects, so even to a wannabee like you, both EXPERIENCE and what they've WRITTEN, in BOOKS have been validated. So you keep posting and pasting, but ever wonder why, just about every poster here, a few with a dozen safaris or more under under their belts and or hunting, almost to a man recognize you are a the consummate ASS. On hunting leopard, the PH I hunt with (as in you know I've actually BEEN to Africa on safari) have discussed the issue of caliber many times and since I don't have a 243, I have discussed using a 257 Weatherby and he has no issue with this. So please continue to show your ass here on the forums. Everywhere you post people consider you a jerk. get a clue, ace. Oh, and I see you've added double rifle regulation to your repertoire and slightly changed your laughable answer of "heating" barrels to regulate by adding the use of "jigs". Close but no cigar.... lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

curious,.... is Col. Craig Boddington of '120+ safaris' fame, onboard with the shock theory you push???

Yes he does....

Col.Boddington describes it not as fact, but only as THEORY and HYPE:
May 23rd 2016, Guns&Ammo -

"Roy Weatherby believed in velocity and his theory of hydrostatic shock that it conveyed. He also wanted his rifles to look different,
like “tomorrow’s rifles.” Characteristic and distinctive were his Monte Carlo comb and squared forend with a reverse slant at the tip.

The thing is, Roy Weatherby believed his hype .He lived it and breathed it.He was not just a marketing huckster; he was a true zealot,
preaching the gospel of velocity[/b] and ultra-modern stock styling. Provided you didn’t bad-mouth his rifles and cartridges, he was also
a really nice guy".

Merriam-Webbster definition of huckster

(hawker, peddler); especially : one who sells or advertises something in an aggressive, dishonest, or annoying way.

Definition of hype

promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc
exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, a swindle, deception, or trick.

Definition of zealot

fanatical, completely intolerant of different beliefs or opinions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh come on dude!

You want to quote Craig? I've shared a camp with him Argentina. I talk to him each year either at DSC or SCI. I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. Both being jarheads, they are big buddies. If he wants to know something from Craig, he doesn't email, he PHONES him. Save me the cut and and paste. This is getting ridiculous at this point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boddington publicly disqualfies and derides the H-S theory...end of story.
take it up with him if you cant accept it.

yet another dismal Jorge failure....lol

Originally Posted by hatari
I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. .

LOL....whoop-de-doo!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. .

LOL....whoop-de-doo!

Actually, it is significant. I am certain he will tell me you are not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You tried to impress with your celebrity association and it flopped...

whats interests me is C.Boddingtons expressed view and rejection of hydrostatic -shock theory
not your personal life...If you really value Boddington as much as you say, you would quietly take
his words onboard.

Jorge implicitly mentioned CBs 120+ safari experience to infer that what CB says holds serious weight.
On such premiss , it would be fair and reasonable to conclude that CBs documented words in reference
to HST hold the same weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am hoping my next Eland (which would just be #2) will come out of the BVC.

My primary hunting will be for Cape Buffalo and I will be using a 450-400 NE (No 1). I suspect I will just use the same rifle and load for Eland...400gr A-Frame or a 400gr Northfork SS.

I might take a second load for the Eland...but not sure it is worth the trouble and potential for mix-up in the dark or heat of action. Second load might be 300gr TSX or 350gr Hawk.

KISS will likely prevail and I will just use the 400gr whatever for Eland.

My first Eland was taken with a 30 cal 180gr TTSX at about 200 yards. Impact velocity was about 2,500fps and I got complete penetration through both shoulders. Eland made it about 200 yards and was dropped with a raking shot. It appeared to be "dead on its feet". I was 50 feet from it and it just stood there like a statue. The spot of blood on the right shoulder in my avatar pic is the exit (a little lower than the entrance).

Last edited by Tarbe; 08/29/17.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Starman, you're so FOS wrapped up in chasing down quotes from the internet than to actually READ what I and others have posted on the subject, including Craig. Funny, but other than hunts he is being sponsored, every time there is a big time trophy to be taken for his collection, his caliber of choice IN REAL LIFE is either the 8MM REM MAG or a 300 or 340 Weatherby and I'm talking his quest for mountain Nyala and Argali Sheep to name just two, not to mention the fact he was just awarded the Weatherby Trophy for this year. Here's another hint for you stupid; you kinda have to use Weatherby rifles for at least a portion of your quest for this award. Once again ever notice that virtually EVERYONE on this forum dislikes you intensely? Why do you think that is? You might want to "google "sociopath" and then grab a mirror. Lastly, how many safaris have you been on? Go back to your basement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Larry, Larry, tsk tsk. You wanted to play this cut and paste game. You're the one that wanted to impress us cherry picking quotes from someone we know. You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Don't EVER tell him I'm quite pleasant!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

TFF!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Larry, Larry, tsk tsk. You wanted to play this cut and paste game. You're the one that wanted to impress us cherry picking quotes from someone we know. You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Oh, dear. Don't tell me LarryRoot has come back with yet another sock puppet handle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oops, my bad! smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tarbe... KISS is a decent way to go, especially in game-rich country like the BVC where you are almost certainly going to encounter DG on a daily basis. Part of my reasoning for taking my 375 as my "everything" rifle there was based on John Sharp's observation that one might be comfortable shooting an impala with a .243, but if a lioness or two in the mopane decided to contest one's ownership of the carcass, that .243 will seem awfully inadequate quite suddenly.

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bushveldt simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/30/17.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Oops, my bad! smile

laugh

Too funny.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bush Velda simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

And that sir, is an outstanding reason for me to own a .375, even though I'm just dreaming of hunting Africa at this point! It does make one heck of a black bear cartridge in the meantime...

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuyM

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bush Velda simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

And that sir, is an outstanding reason for me to own a .375, even though I'm just dreaming of hunting Africa at this point! It does make one heck of a black bear cartridge in the meantime...

Guy

Guy

I purchased my first .375 in 1987. My first .458 in 1988.

I made my first trip to Africa in 2015!

And finally on my second in 2019 I will actually hunt DG.

So don't let the calendar, or what passes for common sense, stop you!

If you are a handloader, you can hunt the U.S. quite nicely with what most folks consider to be an "Elephant rifle"!

Tim

USMC 0351

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree, a reloader can do an amazing lot of stuff with a .375 H&H, from full house loads with 350's to cast or mod speed light jacketed bullets. Something for everything and everyone.

A great round.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree, a reloader can do an amazing lot of stuff with a .375 H&H, from full house loads with 350's to cast or mod speed light jacketed bullets. Something for everything and everyone.

A great round.

DF

Even the .458 Win. Lead round ball and 3 grains of Bullseye will kill a squirrel!

USMC 0351

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarbe

A great round.

DF

Even the .458 Win. Lead round ball and 3 grains of Bullseye will kill a squirrel!

Oh, you need to tell about this one!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A great round.

DF

At one time I think I posited something on the order that the natural laws of the universe concluded at a meeting that the 375 H&H would be acceptable by all as the most reasonable, all-around melding of brass, powder, and lead presently that could be had.

A further, and later addendum proffered that the monolithics made it even more so.

😉

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I look at this differently. I am more concerned about the rifle than the cartridge. I have killed a number of eland with a 270 Win using 130 Barnes monolithic bullets, TSX TTSX, without incident. That combo will penetrate 34-36 inches of bone and meat.
That said there should be an opportunity for the buffalo found there so something bigger is warranted. I would want a rifle with a 20-22" barrel and no more than 8 pounds. I would pick the 9.3-62 and use a Barnes mono.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A great round.

DF

Oh, you need to tell about this one!

Some people might call it a stunt.

I think it is just trying to define the limits of usefulness.

It started in the winter of '74/75. We had a very cold spell and I didn't want to go outside to shoot (in was in the -20F range). I had just turned 17.

My dad had a steel plate that he had liberated from the scrap pile at work. I rigged up a frame that held that plate at roughly a 45 degree angle over my mother's wash tub, in the basement.

Oh yeah...I did.

Lee cast bullet in the 7Mag with 2 grains of Bullseye with a cotton wad over the top. Great part was, I could retrieve the bullets out of the tub and recycle them in the lead pot!

Fast forward...if I can shoot a 7Mag in the basement, surely I can kill a squirrel (and a duck, too) with round balls in the .458.

Oh yeah.

Don't try this at home... smile

USMC 0351

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB
I look at this differently. I am more concerned about the rifle than the cartridge. I have killed a number of eland with a 270 Win using 130 Barnes monolithic bullets, TSX TTSX, without incident. That combo will penetrate 34-36 inches of bone and meat.
That said there should be an opportunity for the buffalo found there so something bigger is warranted. I would want a rifle with a 20-22" barrel and no more than 8 pounds. I would pick the 9.3-62 and use a Barnes mono.

Rick, didn't you take a few eland with the Bitterroot 130 from a 270 Win as well? I thought Bob had sent me a few of those pictures. Can't remember the animal taken though.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Fast forward...if I can shoot a 7Mag in the basement, surely I can kill a squirrel (and a duck, too) with round balls in the .458.

Oh yeah.

Somehow, learning of an 0351 using a .458 Win Mag on squirrel just doesn't surprise me... smile

Semper Fi!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Oh yeah.

Somehow, learning of an 0351 using a .458 Win Mag on squirrel just doesn't surprise me... smile

Semper Fi!

Easy now... I started out my life as a 0351 grin

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Oh yeah.

Semper Fi!

Easy now... I started out my life as a 0351 grin

Well that may explain a few things... Like you still wanting to hit 'em so hard!

Guy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
To specifically address Jorge's question about LDE. I hunted CAR in 2012 with CAWA (Central African Wildlife Adventures) I faced the same dilemma. I was to hunt the full monte, Bongo, LDE, 2 Central Savanna Buffalo, Roan, Lewel's Hartebeest, YBD, Red Flanked Duiker, Western Bush Duiker, Harnessed BB and Civet. Being CAR was in an envelope of relative "peace" I felt it was as safe as it would ever get, which it was. That said, I didn't want to bring a DR due to the destination and the climates in the Bako's. (I didn't know better)

I only brought one gun, my Sako .375HH. I don't load small calibers so opted for .260 gr Accubonds. The results were amazing. I killed both Buffalo at 20-30 yards. They were two of the very few Buffalo I've killed that never made it out of the immediate area. I've killed them with everythint from my Charles Osborne 450 .400 3-1/4 to my LARM 500NE. The mid sized animals were all one shot, no drama. The LDE was one shot at 225-250 yards, as was the Bongo.

The only deviation to these results was the Western Bush Duiker and the Civet. For those I used the PH's (Mike Fell) Sterling Davenport .22 hornet.

Point being, until then, I never realized the absolute versatility to the .375HH. Unless there is Buffalo or Elephant being hunted, a one rifle safari for me, from now on.

Steve

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steve - thanks for that info, particularly about the 260 gr Accubond. That's become my favorite bullet for the 375 H&H. Accurate as all get out, and I've shot several bears with it, with great success!

I'm impressed that it did so well on buffalo! Always figured a 300 grain bullet would be the choice for them.

Regards, Guy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Steve - thanks for that info, particularly about the 260 gr Accubond. That's become my favorite bullet for the 375 H&H. Accurate as all get out, and I've shot several bears with it, with great success!

I'm impressed that it did so well on buffalo! Always figured a 300 grain bullet would be the choice for them.

Regards, Guy

I was impressed as well. I thought about bringing two different bullets but the mental gymnastics over what might be in the gun, what's in my pocket, how different do they shoot...blah, blah, blah was just too much. I just said screw it and went with the .260's. I shot my YBD in dense cover in a Bako and poleaxed it. All I could see was the two eyes, nothing else. It was so thick, I couldn't tell which way the animal was even facing. The only sure shot was to pull down to just below where the nose would be and try for the throat. smile

Shame CAR has become what it is. I literally called it the "Garden of Eden" an amazing place that every hunter should experience.

It worked.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Lee cast bullet in the 7Mag with 2 grains of Bullseye with a cotton wad over the top. Great part was, I could retrieve the bullets out of the tub and recycle them in the lead pot!

Oh yeah.

That's a trick I picked up 20 years ago or so. The idea is to have a long, heavy-for-caliber soft lead bullet and a long barrel. I used a military-grade Carl Gustav 6.5X55 rifle, with a cast 160 gr bullet, and 2.5 gr of Bullseye. The load is subsonic and with that long barrel, quieter than a .22 short. Rumor says such a rig could be used for shooting squirrels and feral cats out of your basement window, so as not to alarm the neighbors, but that's just rumor...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Chip... good info on the 260 Accubond. What powder/charge did you use, and what kind of velocity did you get? I'm a great fan of the AB in small to medium calibers, but I've never thought of using them on DG. Maybe Mule Deer can weigh in on that, as he has a lot of Gun Gack background info on bullet manufacture that could be very enlightening.

(Of course, keep in mind that there are several folks here on the 24HCF who will swear on a stack of Bibles that the Accubond is a 100% failure-to-penetrate bullet, every time, alla time.)

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Chip... good info on the 260 Accubond. What powder/charge did you use, and what kind of velocity did you get? I'm a great fan of the AB in small to medium calibers, but I've never thought of using them on DG. Maybe Mule Deer can weigh in on that, as he has a lot of Gun Gack background info on bullet manufacture that could be very enlightening.

(Of course, keep in mind that there are several folks here on the 24HCF who will swear on a stack of Bibles that the Accubond is a 100% failure-to-penetrate bullet, every time, alla time.)

Hi DR.

In all honesty, I haven't a clue. They are the Federal Premium factory load. They shot really well on paper and I have yet to see a bullet problem that wasn't of my own doing with them. I use them in my .300 win mag as well for N/A hunting.

I'm likely atypical here. I only load for DR's to make it affordable. The smaller stuff is cheap enough to purchase at retailers. I don't do much recreational shooting, I'm a bicycle racer and devote copious amounts of free time and energy to my training. I will usually start to shoot and practice with the DR's 3-4 months prior to a hunt. I live right on the edge of the desert out in Phoenix and can be shooting in a few minutes. I can go before work and get in a few shots about anytime.

As far as AB failures, I have yet to see one. I would think Central Savanna Buffalo would be a "worst case" test, and they simply exceeded my expectations. Mike Fell also commented as to the performance of the bullets on Buffalo.

Steve

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
I never realized the absolute versatility to the .375HH. Unless there is Buffalo or Elephant being hunted, a one rifle safari for me, from now on.

Steve

I would not exclude the .375 from elephant and buffalo. My .458 had an aneurism right before my last safari so I only took my .375. 300 grain soft points and 300 grain flat point solids. I took elephant, buffalo, hippo, and lion with it, plus plains game down to impala. The elephant was a very large bull. The solid entered the shoulder and was found under the skin on the off side. The buffalo dropped in its tracks, though I had luckily hit the spine. The hippo was a head shot. The lion was shot in the top of the heart and the bullet broke the elbow on the way out. I don't think a 30-06 would have done any worse.

Based on this I would take a .375--and only a .375--on any future hunt for large dangerous game. My theory is that you kill an elephant with penetration, not tissue damage, and a 13-foot tall animal is not going to be too impressed if your bullet is 0.08 inches wider or narrower. On an earlier safari I killed the same three large species with a .458 and, while my experience is somewhat limited, the .458 seemed to do no better and no worse.

The .375 is extremely versatile. If you have a .375 and a .300 Wby, you are set for any game of deer or larger size anywhere in the world. The .300 Wby. is legal for lion in Zimbabwe. If I ever get a chance, I would like to shoot one with the .300. I've shot 15 or 16 animals with the .300 and 180 grain Partitions at 3200 fps and every one I hit died with one shot. Every bullet exited except for a raking shot on Wildebeeste and a headshot on a large croc.

Concerning the "hydrostatic shock" debate, it is a fact that the nervous system of cats is more sensitive to this than that of herbivores. Nearly all PHs agree with this, with some believing one needs an impact velocity of 2500 fps or higher. Do not confuse this with some of the wild claims of 50 or 60 years ago, such as the one where a buffalo was shot in the ham with a .257 Weatherby and instantly fell down dead, the theory being that shock was transmitted to the vitals. Roy Weatherby was the hunter in that case, and wrote that anyone going on an Alaska brown bear hunt should use an 87 grain bullet at 4000 fps.

The FBI has studied shock against humans. There is more hard data on what kills humans than there is about animals, which latter is mostly anecdotal. The FBI concluded that any bullet which meets their penetration test, whether 9mm, .40, or .45 ACP, kills by loss of blood only unless the CNS is hit. Therefore it does not matter whether you shoot a 9mm or a .45 ACP, provided you use the proper bullets. However they also concluded that shock is a factor against humans if the bullet impacts at more than 2000 fps.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I never realized the absolute versatility to the .375HH. Unless there is Buffalo or Elephant being hunted, a one rifle safari for me, from now on.

Steve

I would not exclude the .375 from elephant and buffalo. My .458 had an aneurism right before my last safari so I only took my .375. 300 grain soft points and 300 grain flat point solids. I took elephant, buffalo, hippo, and lion with it, plus plains game down to impala. The elephant was a very large bull. The solid entered the shoulder and was found under the skin on the off side. The buffalo dropped in its tracks, though I had luckily hit the spine. The hippo was a head shot. The lion was shot in the top of the heart and the bullet broke the elbow on the way out. I don't think a 30-06 would have done any worse.

Based on this I would take a .375--and only a .375--on any future hunt for large dangerous game. My theory is that you kill an elephant with penetration, not tissue damage, and a 13-foot tall animal is not going to be too impressed if your bullet is 0.08 inches wider or narrower. On an earlier safari I killed the same three large species with a .458 and, while my experience is somewhat limited, the .458 seemed to do no better and no worse.

The .375 is extremely versatile. If you have a .375 and a .300 Wby, you are set for any game of deer or larger size anywhere in the world. The .300 Wby. is legal for lion in Zimbabwe. If I ever get a chance, I would like to shoot one with the .300. I've shot 15 or 16 animals with the .300 and 180 grain Partitions at 3200 fps and every one I hit died with one shot. Every bullet exited except for a raking shot on Wildebeeste and a headshot on a large croc.

Concerning the "hydrostatic shock" debate, it is a fact that the nervous system of cats is more sensitive to this than that of herbivores. Nearly all PHs agree with this, with some believing one needs an impact velocity of 2500 fps or higher. Do not confuse this with some of the wild claims of 50 or 60 years ago, such as the one where a buffalo was shot in the ham with a .257 Weatherby and instantly fell down dead, the theory being that shock was transmitted to the vitals. Roy Weatherby was the hunter in that case, and wrote that anyone going on an Alaska brown bear hunt should use an 87 grain bullet at 4000 fps.

The FBI has studied shock against humans. There is more hard data on what kills humans than there is about animals, which latter is mostly anecdotal. The FBI concluded that any bullet which meets their penetration test, whether 9mm, .40, or .45 ACP, kills by loss of blood only unless the CNS is hit. Therefore it does not matter whether you shoot a 9mm or a .45 ACP, provided you use the proper bullets. However they also concluded that shock is a factor against humans if the bullet impacts at more than 2000 fps.

I wouldn't argue with a single thing there. The "Elephant and Buffalo" exclusion are solely based on my desire to shoot these species, close, with on of my DR's. I have shot nearly 100 percent of my African species with that same Sako .375HH rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I wouldn't argue with a single thing there. The "Elephant and Buffalo" exclusion are solely based on my desire to shoot these species, close, with on of my DR's.

I assume you are referring to your Krieghoff........

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You have a LARM 500 NE? I am in awe.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mike70560

I wouldn't argue with a single thing there. The "Elephant and Buffalo" exclusion are solely based on my desire to shoot these species, close, with on of my DR's.

I assume you are referring to your Krieghoff........

Hi Mike, Over the last 6-7 years, I have accumulated a Armeria de Madrid (LARM) 500NE back action, sidelock, and a vintage 1892 Charles Osborn, boxlock, 450 .400 3-1/4. I really have taken a liking to the Charles Osborne. It's lighter than my other two and I probably shoot it better? My Krieghoff hasn't seen much duty since I've had the other two. I shot a Javelina with it out here in Arizona a few years ago smile

I heard you were part of the Cajun Navy? Good on you and God Bless America.

You have a LARM 500 NE? I am in awe.

Hi Jorge, I do. Funny story. At the 2006 SCI show, I walked by their booth. I immediately lost my control of space and time and my ability to reason. They handed me one...It was left handed, Big 5 engraved. I am also a southpaw. The rifle fit me well. I t was a clients gun, so not for sale. They were expensive but not outrageously so. My wife and I walked around and she said I looked like a smitten school boy, as she would know, we went to grade school and high school together. We went to bed that night and she told me to go ahead and buy one...wow, what a wife eh?

Next day, I wandered back by the booth. Correo saw me coming and had that same rifle in his hands, waiting to go in for the kill. I had my mind up that I would not spend that amount of money on a rifle. BUT..I decided to let them fit me since I was there, they were there and it made sense. They fit me, I shook Correo's hand and successfully walked away.

The next hour my wife just wouldn't stop and literally insisted I go back and write them a check, which I did.

Fast forward one year. The rifle was shipped as they promised. While the rifle was in a customs warehouse in Houston (ironically) at least I think it was Houston, the rifle got involved in a flood. The presentation case was sitting on its edge and the barrels were on the bottom. They were wet for a long time and rusted. We turned the rifle around, shipped it back and they disassembled and repaired the barrels (perfectly) The action and fore end were never wet. Received the rifle back in about 4 months and never looked back.

If you've looked at these things you know the quality. Spanish steel has historically been outstanding. At the time, there were just three guys that did it all, they were all at the shows. The engraving is as good as any I've seen anywhere (Lion, Leopard, Buffalo). The wood to metal fit is so good, you simply cannot tell where one ends and the other begins. The stock is proportional quality as well. The only negative is, it only weighs 10# and is like getting hit in the side of the face with a steel bar. Hunting, it fine but shooting for fun, well, isn't fun.

They have since OVER doubled in price. A new bespoke fully engraved is now 68-70K. Can't really claim it as a good investment as I never plan on selling it.

Also, sent you a PM.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 09/02/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the .375, and I like swift A-Frames mucho.....

Hard to improve on this!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I'm likely atypical here. I only load for DR's to make it affordable. The smaller stuff is cheap enough to purchase at retailers. I don't do much recreational shooting, I'm a bicycle racer and devote copious amounts of free time and energy to my training. I will usually start to shoot and practice with the DR's 3-4 months prior to a hunt. I live right on the edge of the desert out in Phoenix and can be shooting in a few minutes. I can go before work and get in a few shots about anytime.

Well, I hear you on the time issue... if you're a bicycle racer, I have a hard time imagining you have time for anything else! I agree on the reloading/storebought price issue, and although I was a handloads-only guy for many years, I've softened my stance somewhat in the past few years. Since I got my first (and second, and now third) .243 I've not handloaded a single round and half a dozen Texas whitetails have been rendered into tasty steaks, chops and burgers thanks to excellent factory ammo.

I envy you the close proximity to a shooting spot. I used to have the same access when I still lived in West Texas, literally 5 blocks from the gun range. Now it's only 15 minutes, but it still ain't what I really want... I want a place where I can step out on my back porch in my boxer shorts and flip-flops and light off a dozen rounds with my morning coffee, or any time. Maybe some day.

As far as AB failures, I have yet to see one. I would think Central Savanna Buffalo would be a "worst case" test, and they simply exceeded my expectations. Mike Fell also commented as to the performance of the bullets on Buffalo.

Steve

My experience with AB's is equally good. I've shot (or my family members have shot) 17 white tailed deer, 5 pronghorn, and 1 nilgai cow with AB's and so far I've only recovered one bullet (the nilgai). All the rest were pass-throughs. But all 24 animals were killed quickly and cleanly, with the exception of the nilgai, which I hit too far back. The bullet broke her offside shoulder, though, so she went down quickly and was dispatched in short order thereafter. I have to really wonder about the guys who claim AB's break up or fail to penetrate.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

The FBI has NOT in fact studied "shock" against humans. I have no idea where that idea may have come from, but the FBI is not a medical/physiological research organization.

Furthermore, the "FBI" standards for bullet performance are not even the FBI's. The gelatin performance standards were decided upon by a committee of experts, which included highly respected ballisticians like Dr. Martin Fackler, in 1987. It was Dr. Fackler's research that primarily led to the adoption of the 12-14" penetration standard for handgun bullets, and the FBI was given the charge of testing ammunition for the good of the law enforcement community (and since then, the non-LE self-defense shooting community).

Since then, there have been a lot of data accumulated by various agencies on the actual performance of service caliber handguns and ammunition. These databases basically support the idea that rounds that meet the "FBI" gelatin standard perform well in actual shootings. But no one has actually done any laboratory studies of the effects of bullets on live human beings, which would be needed to "study shock against humans"; in fact, it's almost impossible to get ethics approval to do any ballistics testing against animals. So let's not perpetuate that myth, shall we?

As for the "2000 fps" threshold you mention... I'd like to know where you got that figure. Fackler, McPherson, and other ballistics researchers have noted that bullets with velocities greater than roughly 1000 m/s (about 3240 fps) seem to have greater destructive capacity than bullets travelling slower than that, but this has never actually been quantified. It's really just an opinion, and one which I happen to share. But it's hardly "proven", scientifically speaking. In any case, 2000 fps is not a threshold I've read anywhere in the terminal ballistics literature.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"A knife in the heart is better than 10,000 ft/lbs in the ass."

JD Jones

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
What side of bed did you get out of today, Doc?

OK. The FBI didn't do the study. They merely supported the conclusions.

My bad for not remembering where I read this in 2012 when picking a CCW handgun. (I picked a 9mm.)

As for the 2000 fps, I read that in2012too. I foeget where.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the PM. I too handled them at DSC and was VERY impressed. VERY. Unfortunately, a bit outside my paygrade, but in my opinion they are the equal of a any British double.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, Indy, I was cranky yesterday. Sorry it came out. I'm still interested to know where the 2000 fps deal came from. I wasn't just being pissy, I'd like to look more into it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally............u do that.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The next hour my wife just wouldn't stop and literally insisted I go back and write them a check, which I did.

They have since OVER doubled in price. A new bespoke fully engraved is now 68-70K. Can't really claim it as a good investment as I never plan on selling it.

Steve

Moral of that story...when your dear wife says "Write a check", write a check!!

USMC 0351

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Barnes .375 250 gr TTSX on my only eland

Bang, flop

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could use that very same combo on virtually anything but elephant and see those same satisfying results over and over. Good recipe.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by duckear
I used Barnes .375 250 gr TTSX on my only eland

Bang, flop
G

Good to see the 250 TTSX getting good press.

Mostly we hear about 270 TSX exploits. I was beginning to think the 250 TTSX was a red headed stepchild

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A lot of talk about the 375 here.

This is an interesting Video of a 'non stop' on a Buff at full charge with a 375/300 grain bullet.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cool video! Thanks!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of enough caliber, I'm typing this with a 40-65 Shiloh Sharps across my lap and a 50-90 Sharps leaning on the desk, I'm by God tired of brush hogging, mowing, weed eating and spraying pastures, hays in the barn, gardens tilled under, I'm ready to shoot some game damnit!

Bring on the dead frosty fall leaves please! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of enough caliber, I'm typing this with a 40-65 Shiloh Sharps across my lap and a 50-90 Sharps leaning on the desk, I'm by God tired of brush hogging, mowing, weed eating and spraying pastures, hays in the barn, gardens tilled under, I'm ready to shoot some game damnit!

Bring on the dead frosty fall leaves please! smile

I agree!

USMC 0351

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Take the .375, 270 gr. Barnes TSXes, game over......

Aye!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm just back from Zambia and while I took two rifles, I shot everything with the 375 and 270 grain A-Frames.

From 20 pound grysbok to 4500 pound hippo, everything took only one shot. The buff got an extra, un-needed second shot to keep him from following the herd.

This is actually about the third successful trip in a row where the 375 gets all my business! Sometimes I'm a slow learner!

Oh, and the leopard was dead under the bait, so apparently the 375 works on cats too!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congrats on what sounds like a hell of a Safari.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks! I ended up taking more game than originally intended and while it didn't break the bank, it definitely bruised it!

Now to figure out how to go back!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Starman; DocRocket,

Fwiw, I once saw (at WAFFEN BENNEWITZ in K-town) a SxS .303 British OVER a 16 gauge shotgun. = I "disremember" what the Germans call a combination gun with 2 rifled barrels over a single smoothbore.

The asst. manager said that the combination gun was custom-built for a MAJ of the Indian Army after WWI & traded in for another drilling by his grand-nephew about a week before I saw it in FEB 1972.
(SADLY, I could NOT afford to buy it on a LT's paltry salary. = BOO HOO.)

yours, satx

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.