Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by specneeds
I switched to Barnes TTSX....

Has anyone made the change just based on avoiding lead in their meat?

No!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by specneeds
I'm a fan of Barnes for elk, we had elk burger for dinner last night and I'm down to my last package so it is time to fill the freezer. My great grandkids are eating the burgers now and they are really the group at risk for exposure under 3 years old and less than 35 lbs doesn't take much lead to be toxic.

They won't know much about lead bullets by the time they are elk hunting they will think monometal bullets were always what was used. The idea that they will likely have to register to buy ammo turns my stomach but at least they won't be blaming old papa for lead poisoning and all that goes with it.

My decision didn't have anything to do with possible toxicity but it is one less thing to worry about.

That's where I am coming from in my choice not to use lead on game I feed my kids.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used more monos than anything else because they (TTSX) seem to always shoot the best of the bullets I try. Never been disappointed in their performance. As for lead, I have no idea if it's an issue, but I doubt it's good for me.

I wonder how many here actually have enough information from studies on the effects of lead (and other materials) used in big game bullets on meat and consumption by adults to actually make an informed decision? I certainly don't.

Last edited by prm; 08/21/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by rost495
I use Barnes because they are the best bullet for the job period.

Flat statements are ridiculous, period.

grin

You mean like this one:

Originally Posted by BWalker
I'm using mostly monometals now due to fear of exposing my kids to lead. And that's the only reason as they don't kill as well as traditional lead and copper bullets.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
For those in denial, I will ask a favor.

Here is how it will go down.The antis will begin a process to ban all lead bullets.Their argument will be that there are many mono copper bullets on the market,and no need to shoot those dirty lead ones. ( remember the lead shot ban on waterfowl where the lead shot shells were $6-$8 a box and now the lead free are what $25). Ignorant legislatures who know nothing about the shooting sports will pass the ban because it will not affect them ( remember the Obamacare that they are not required to carry)..Lead bullets will not be available shortly thereafter and the mfgr's will slowly increase the cost of the monos. Those now saying the cost of a bullet is a small cost of the over all hunt will be saying "Holy Crap, I can't afford to go hunting now".

Just as a lot of our rights are being chipped away a little at a time, hunters will try to figure out how it all happened.
So my favor is :Print his out,stick it in an envelope and put it in your gun safe, in 10 -15 years when I am under the sod, (and it won't be from lead ingestion) take it out and read it.

If I am wrong you can come and pi$$ on my grave, but I bet you will be saying "That old cantankerous fart was right"

This scenario is exactly why I have stocked up on some Nosler E-Tips in my favorite calibers, and why I still have a box or two of Barnes TSX bullets on hand as well. I wouldn't put it past the state to suddenly outlaw lead-core bullets for hunting.

Guy

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Here is how it will go down.The antis will begin a process to ban all lead bullets.Their argument will be that there are many mono copper bullets on the market,and no need to shoot those dirty lead ones.

They didn't need that argument in CA, why would they need it now?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prm

Here is how it will go down.The antis will begin a process to ban all lead bullets.Their argument will be that there are many mono copper bullets on the market,and no need to shoot those dirty lead ones.

They didn't need that argument in CA, why would they need it now?

In California, they don't need any arguments to do stupid things. California does not need it now, their lead bullet ban is already in effect.

Just like the spring bear hunt and ban on leg hold traps in CO, this will start with ballot initiatives started by petitons to put such laws on state general elections.The people who are against all hunting ,shooting sports and those on the fence will sign those petitions,and vote for them when they appear on the ballot.The hunting/shooting public will not show up at the polls.

States like New Jersey,Illinois, New York, and the District of Columbia will jump on that band wagon as soon as the liberals figure out funding to pay petition gathers

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/21/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
States like New Jersey,Illinois, New Your, and the District of Columbia will jump on that band wagon as soon as the liberals figure out funding to pay petition gathers

If they do I'll never go hunting there again...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
I switched to Barnes TTSX when the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw was no longer available. Not overly excited about lead in meat, but dislike any metal fragments in my meat. I just like a bullet that stays together and makes a decent exit wound. Lets the air right out of them! Happy Trails

This. ^^^^

The fewer metal particles/shot pellets in my meat the easier it is on my teeth. We've found the TTSX to be excellent performers and have yet to recover one. They have been very accurate bullets, I've put them lengthwise through mule deer, right at half the animals have gone straight down and none have gone more than a few yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

grin

You mean like this one:

I'm using mostly monometals now due to fear of exposing my kids to lead. And that's the only reason as they don't kill as well as traditional lead and copper bullets.

grin

You mean like this one:

Not wanting to expose your kids to lead is hardly ridiculous.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
States like New Jersey,Illinois, New Your, and the District of Columbia will jump on that band wagon as soon as the liberals figure out funding to pay petition gathers

If they do I'll never go hunting there again...... grin

laugh laugh laugh

Me neither !

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Completely agree with that, but I just don't think that is an issue, but I respect your concern. It's the second part of your statement that I take issue with.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Completely agree with that, but I just don't think that is an issue, but I respect your concern. It's the second part of your statement that I take issue with.

I didn't think it was an issue either until I saw an x-ray of a carcass killed with lead and copper bullet. Lead fragments had spread way beyond the wound entry area to the tune of 10 or more inches.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/21/17.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I never thought of it before. Then I read how some of you have been eating lead all your life. It doesn't always kill you. It can just make you dumb. The guy who's death started the Baltimore riots, was a lead licker.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Zerk
I never thought of it before.

There's a surprise.

"Like most things, zerk had never thought of it before."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Far more fear and bias here than facts. Shoot something in the ribs and lead won't mysteriously get into the hams or the shoulders. I butcher my own animals. It's pretty easy to see where the bullet and bone fragments are, when shots are less than ideal. I don't put pre-ground meat into the burger pile. I can't imagine why anyone would. It's full of bacteria which are far more likely to injure or kill than lead in the meat. Common sense ALWAYS applies.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then I read how some of you have been eating lead all your life. It doesn't always kill you. It can just make you dumb. .

That explains me then....

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by smokepole
I never thought of it before.

There's a surprise.

"Like most things, zerk had never thought of it before."

Wasn't that the reply of many people here?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Far more fear and bias here than facts. Shoot something in the ribs and lead won't mysteriously get into the hams or the shoulders. I butcher my own animals. It's pretty easy to see where the bullet and bone fragments are, when shots are less than ideal. I don't put pre-ground meat into the burger pile. I can't imagine why anyone would. It's full of bacteria which are far more likely to injure or kill than lead in the meat. Common sense ALWAYS applies.

I can understand why some with kids would switch but I agree with this. Switching to copper bullets is a very easy way to guarantee no lead so it's not like those who switch are at any kind of disadvantage or inconvenienced.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I process my own meat most years and use a small commercial grinder to grind lots of really terrific lean hamburgers, sausage when seasoned and often mixed with ground pork once in a while I get a chunk of sinew that I didn't catch. If I can miss that how would I catch every lead particle. The X-rays are scary when you see a big spray of small pieces, so you could easily shoot one in the ribs and spray lead into your back straps and shoulder meat out of the path you would expect. Personally I'll shoot them in the neck, shoulders, ribs and spine depending on the angle and distance and if they are wounded or not. I've finished a couple with head shots in an attempt to not damage meat as well.

My switch to all copper was strictly based on a poor result from a ballistic tip on a good sized bull. I like the TTSX for accuracy and penetration, I think the softer lead core bullets do a little better job if you slip them between the ribs and miss bone. With any kind of tough angle or bone involved, even ribs, the Barnes really outshine the traditional designs.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.