Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Beautifully done! No doubt, a labor out of respect for a beloved gentleman. Again, congrats to battue. I know it will be treasured!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ruger, that is probably the best summation of the entirety of it from beginning to end.

Carrying that rifle around is going to be an emotional experience. My wish is for it to spend its entire existence in the family. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is a beauty! Glad we could all take part in it!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a fine lookin' setup, very nice!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Outstanding 👍Hope you slay the buck of your dreams this fall😎

Molon Labe
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Alright, this update has been a long time in coming and your patience regarding this endeavor is much appreciated.

The rifle is completed and will soon be on its way to battue!
The results with 130 Partitions and R26 (see test targets) would surely have put a smile on Bob’s face. (and it will battue’s face as well grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks to all of you that took part in raising $6450 that has been donated in Bob’s name to the charities listed in the below message from his family.

And special thanks to the following for their astounding generosity on the components in the rifle build, and, of course, Nathan Chesney for putting it all together.

Ken @ Brux Barrels – barrel donation

Mark Bansner – stock donation

Cliff/whitebird – pre 64 M70 action and Blackburn bottom metal donation

Doug @ Cameraland – significant discount on scope

Nathan Chesney - Hillbilly Custom Rifles – complete rifle build and load development

Message from Bob’s family:

Thank you for this amazing tribute to Bob, but most of all than you for your friendship. This past year was exceeding difficult. However, each of you helped make it easier for Bob. You were always there to help him focus on the things he loved rather than the daily struggle to fight cancer. Your friendship and generosity continues as seen with the custom rifle. We haven’t had the strength to read all of the posts from everyone in Bob’s memory. I’m sure we will all cherish them one by one in due time. We thank you for that.

Bob was an amazing individual and we were blessed to have him in our lives. He lived every minute to the fullest and he will be sorely missed. Bob faced everything in life with passion, determination and humor; and cancer was no exception. We’d like to share a little memory from last year with you. Bob entered th 6th floor of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital knowing he was facing 10 days of intense non-stop chemotherapy again. He pushes through the double doors of the isolation ward; stands facing the nurses station; throws his arms wide and with a big smile he announces to all “Hi everyone! I’m back!”

In honor of Bob donations will be made to the following organizations: Youth Shooting Sports Alliance, Mule Deer Foundation, Bass Unlimited, Dana Farber and Challenge Unlimited.

The Farese family.

Well, it sure put a smile on my face, big time! Congrats to all who contributed. I hope and believe your good deeds will come back around to you. Congrats to battue as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
battue,

If you have even the slightest inkling of feeding that thing a single VLD, I might recommend keeping an eye on the skies and probably doing so beneath a good shelter. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
What an absolutely clean pure hunting rifle, and wonderful respectful campaign, well done all, Bob is smiling, and battue will be smiling more than he is now when he trips the trigger on the first of hopefully many head of game.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
battue,

If you have even the slightest inkling of feeding that thing a single VLD, I might recommend keeping an eye on the skies and probably doing so beneath a good shelter. laugh

😀 Never touch the stuff and have no intention of starting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great looking rifle. Hope all goes well for you this hunting season. Please provide updates as appropriate. Miss the conversations with Bob but this is good medicine! Thanks to all who helped in the effort.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Coming home from walking Merlot, had a nice Buck cross the road in front of the 4Runner. Looked like an 8, but all even. Around an 18-19in spread with high tines. Perhaps a good omen for the coming season. Unfortunately a place I can't hunt him. grin

The rifle should show up in a day or two.

Last edited by battue; 08/07/17.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Who knows? They can travel miles during the rut. Looking forward to seeing pics this Fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great looking rifle... Battue, best wishes on many hunts with that rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Great looking rifle... Battue, best wishes on many hunts with that rifle.

Yes it is and thanks for helping to make it happen. In addition, I'm liking the SN.😎
The hunts are winding down, but not intending to quit yet. 😀

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OK, Bob's rifle arrived Saturday and today it went to the range. Little windy, mostly from behind and had the trees above the backstop swirling. Hot--84F
Took 3 to get it close to center.

First off the rifle:

[Linked Image]

Wanted to make brass so the first three were with Nosler 150gr LRAB. I can live with that for a start.

[Linked Image]

Second group I used 3 of Nathans 130gr handloads and I obviously didnt do as well as him. Still OK.

[Linked Image]

Third group was three more with the Nosler 150 LRAB. It shined again.

[Linked Image]

Handloads need to be worked on and move it out, but little doubt the rifle has great potential.

Thanks to all who did the work to have it all come together. I'm sure Bob is pleased.

Last edited by battue; 08/21/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scott asked me what I thought of the rifle:

Parts fit: Perfect.

Trigger: Model 70 triggers have a definitive characteristic in that there is a little creep. Even ones worked on by a good Smith usually have some that are easily detectable. Not this one. I talked to Nathan about it yesterday and he said it is there, but he did his best to not have it be evident. His best was better than good enough.

Finish: Can't find a flaw.

Rifle by itself came in at 7lbs 15oz + a smidge. kinda surprised with the bottom metal. Thought it would be more. Balance is just ahead of the front screw. Pretty nice.

Finally, something that jumped out at me. I've had a few bolt rifles worked on by a good smith. With everyone, when you dryfire them the bolt will lift some. Vibrations coming thru from the firing pin falling. Those vibrations are not good for accuracy. With this one, I can't see any jump and I looked hard. Again mentioned it to Nathan and he said that was an excellent receiver he started out with. Well, now it is an excellent plus.

None of this is BS due to circumstances.

Nathan Chesney builds a great rifle. Perhaps some of you should give him consideration on your next build.

Last edited by battue; 08/21/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Battue,
Again congratulations. Downside to that rifle is it could make all your other rifles obsolete?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What a great shooting rifle. Congrats again.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.. From one fine member to another.. Bob H and battle make the Fire worthwhile..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Battue,
Again congratulations. Downside to that rifle is it could make all your other rifles obsolete?

Driving back from the range that same thought crossed my mind. grin

Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 12savage, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,980
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.