Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Really?

Perhaps you should read this:

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/woundblstcs/chapter2.htm

Just one example.

As I said- there is no legit US DOD, DOJ, or medical entity the lists, measures, or cares about "ft-lbs energy". You, and the others that believe "ft-lbs energy" tells you how a bullet will damage and destroy tissue, or that some arbitrary number is required to be effective, are ignorant. Ignorance isn't bad, unless it refuses to learn- then it's stupidity.

Are there math and engineer dorks that try to assign some numbered equation to killing? Of course. That's because they can't let go of "numbers" and see that where a hole goes, how deep it goes, and how wide it is determines what kind, and how much, tissue is destroyed. What kind of tissue and how much tissue determines "effectiveness" and "killing power".

Every single legitimate entity has moved from "math" based metrics, to "damage based metrics". In NO instance does "1,500 ft-lbs" tell me what a bullet will do in an animal. To know what it will do, you have to measure it in tissue or tissue simulate (i.e.- properly calibrated 10% Ballistic gelatin).

If a bullet consistently puts a 6 inch hole through a deer 20 inches long, it doesn't matter how many "ft-lbs energy" it has.

Let's try this- how, in your mind, does using "energy" help you know what to expect from a bullet in an animal? How do you use "energy"?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Energy being defined as the ability to do work, and the work being to disrupt tissue and bone, clearly there are energy thresholds below which NO bullet could make that 6" swath 20" deep through a deer. Approaching it from that direction it's a number than has some minimal validity.

But I agree, in general.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Really?

Perhaps you should read this:
http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/woundblstcs/chapter2.htm

Just one example.

As I said- there is no legit US DOD, DOJ, or medical entity the lists, measures, or cares about "ft-lbs energy".

The Military still uses ft-lbs of energy to determine 'hazardous fragments':

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/DODMAN/605509-M-V1.pdf
"V1.E8.2.2.4. A hazardous fragment is one having an impact energy of 58 ft-lbs [79
joules] or greater. "

The last I knew, one is greater than "none".

You, and the others that believe "ft-lbs energy" tells you how a bullet will damage and destroy tissue, or that some arbitrary number is required to be effective, are ignorant. Ignorance isn't bad, unless it refuses to learn- then it's stupidity.

I've never said nor believed that '"ft-lbs energy" tells you how a bullet will damage and destroy tissue'. Your statement is both wrong and demonstrates an ignorance of the facts regarding what I believe. Do you care to learn or are you going to be 'stupid'?

What I have consistently stated in many threads is that energy is a poor tool for doing that and is best used carefully in a limited set of circumstances. As I stated in a previous post in this thread, give me the same bullet with 2000 ft-lbs energy and the same bullet with 200 ft-lbs and I'll take the one with 2000 for elk and the one with 200 for rabbits. [Edited to add] Under those circumstances, I don't think a change in bullet weight or construction or velocity would change my preference.[End add]

What I have also been very consistent saying is that without energy there is NO tissue destruction and that the destruction of vital function is what kills. What that means is that with NO energy there is NO more possibility of killing an animal with a bullet than if you keep the bullet in your pocket.

What ft-lbs energy DOES provide is a means of estimating POTENTIAL destruction in a relative rather than quantitative manner. In other words, other factors being equal, more energy has greater POTENTIAL for destruction than does less energy.

Let's try this- how, in your mind, does using "energy" help you know what to expect from a bullet in an animal? How do you use "energy"?

How about you reread the above, which explains my thoughts on the matter pretty well.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/24/17. Reason: Edit to add, as noted above

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by smokepole
You're right, it went right over my head. I've never hunted tough terrain like you have in "WI&UP."

Do you think there is a difference between flat barren land and wooded and hilly land?

I would think you wold if hunting CO. Maybe your emotions prevent you from being intelligent. Just so mad you are pooping yourself.

But a simple man, should understand that recovering a deer that runs 200 yards in wide open country, is different than other areas. But you seem to imply you do not understand that.

Are you just that upset, or should I be calling you a liar about where you hunt? I am going with too dumb. I have to no reason to believe you are not in CO.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're right, it went right over my head. I've never hunted tough terrain like you have in "WI&UP."

It's a longasss 100 yds up there. I think he's eaten too much lead infested game, personally.

Hunting in the wasteland of Texas, you may not realize what it is like to hunt other places. I was not talking about the shot.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Zerk

Do you think there is a difference between flat barren land and wooded and hilly land?

Well, it's hard to put my finger on it. But I'm thinking "maybe?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by las
Dead is dead. ght.

I've always thought this is a poor arguement. I prefer dead nearby, to dead a mile away the next day. Of course, some with say, its dead and doesn't know the difference.

I doubt you are as dumb as you come across. You are just so upset, like a liberal. But you are so upset you write dumb [bleep].

Hunting in wastelands like Texas, if a deer runs a few hundred yards, it is not a big deal. Some places it is harder to recover or find, and you prefer the animal to run as far. Now I am sure you will write somthing you think is witty, and something you think counterdicts this. But you are emotions, are making an idiot of you. I tried being nice. But I don't think you are smart enough to get the nuances, and accpet the bone you are thrown.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

OK, you got me. Now I'm thinking "probably."

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
No, I don't think you are as dumb as you act. I think yuo are acting up for your friends, and you think acting stupid, will not make you look stupid. Maybe self esteem issues.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Hey look I spelled you yuo. It is your chance to show how smart you.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, you really got to me that time. I'm thinking "highly likely??"

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I should have been clearer. That is a fault on me. While I dont think you are as dumb as you act. I still think you are on the simple side. But if you were removed from distractions, and put in a room alone, I think you could come up with the answers, if they were given to you.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/24/17.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Being in the liberal state of CO, you should use to your defense, the enviroment you are in, not to mention the dope smoking. No, Daves not here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, you got me, I'm changing my answer to "reasonably certain."

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Don't worry, I don;t expect much from you. All your posts are about the same. You are not smart enough to come up with anything new. Maybe to late in the day for you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, I'm convinced. I'm thinking "almost assuredly."

Could you repeat the question?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
You, you are a genius, with your counter points.

You next post should have never, almost, maybe, assurdely, in some random order, to which you think makes you look smart.

But I have seen, I was wrong. I can admit it. Maybe first impressions about you are right. I am man enough to admit my mistake.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That's BS. I never even worked behind a counter. But I have cooked hambergers.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

That's BS. I never even worked behind a counter. But I have cooked hambergers.

CO thing? I quoted you, so yuo couldn't delete it in the morning.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you don't like hambergers?

Makes sense. I always figured you to be a hot dog man.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.