Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I wanted something more accurate than my 10/22, so I built this:

It's a Savage MkII FS that I got used, then it sat in my safe for 2 years without being fired because I couldn't get a decent stock for it out of the US. A place in NZ finally started importing the Boyds' stocks for a reasonable price and I got it all set up recently. Shoots great! ....with the ammo that I only had a couple of boxes of, not the ammo I have 5000 rounds of.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got the same stock, in brown, on a CZ 455. Feels really good, though it's heavier than I'd like. If the Savages had better magazines, I'd probably have one of those, too. I just always thought their magazines were cheap and chintzy as hell.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It will be interesting to see how the new Savage B22lr with the rotary magazines work out

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've got the same stock, in brown, on a CZ 455. Feels really good, though it's heavier than I'd like. If the Savages had better magazines, I'd probably have one of those, too. I just always thought their magazines were cheap and chintzy as hell.

They sure ain't pretty, but they seem to work ok - I haven't had any real feeding issues in the few hundred rounds I've fired with it so far. Main complaints are that the accutrigger is spongy and bad, the safety is easy to accidentally flick on when working the bolt, and it sometimes doesn't like to extract empty CCI subsonics. Which is fine because it's not got the same problem with Winchester which shoots groups half the size of the CCI.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It appears that you get the Aussie Winchester ammo, not the US stuff. That is a GOOD thing, the last few US Winchester products I've tried were less than satisfactory. I've relegated it to handgun use, where my eyesight will render better accuracy moot anyway.

In other words, I can't see to shoot very well any more, without a scope, lol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
It appears that you get the Aussie Winchester ammo, not the US stuff. That is a GOOD thing, the last few US Winchester products I've tried were less than satisfactory. I've relegated it to handgun use, where my eyesight will render better accuracy moot anyway.

In other words, I can't see to shoot very well any more, without a scope, lol.

This is indeed the case. It's good stuff. Nice big hollow point.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, ak_Rick, 17 invisible), 17,097 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.