-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The National Guard Act, and recent amendments, centralized funding to a federal source to make it easier for Guardsmen to move state to state and between components (Guard-Reserve-Active) without having to endure a different retirement with each move. I know, I've been in 41 years and have been active, then reserve, now guard.

When in state active duty status, Guardsmen do not receive any federal retirement points, or federal subsidies, like housing, medical, etc. It's a stand-alone gig.

The President, through a declaration of a national emergency or disaster, can authorize payments to a State to pay for the Guard. However, when in State status, they are not agents of the US at all.

Relative to Veteran Status, until just recently, Guardsman who were never called up to serve in a federal status, and did not serve in federal status for over 6(?) months, were not Veterans. Period.

Trump just signed a bill to change that a few (months?) ago.

The Guard used to be a easy gig (or so I'm told). My unit has troops deployed and troops in combat on a regular basis. We went from a "Strategic Reserve" to an "Active Reserve" in the post 9-11 area.

Given the current threat basis (ISIS, et al) I don't see the Guard getting less active in national events.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/25/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thank you David.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Da nada.

I didn't mean to sound snippy.

The National Guard, Army and Air, are the most misunderstood organizations in the US.

John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Seafire, you are such a phoney, uh phuney, uh....such a funny guy stoked with anger when someone doesn't agree with your dialogue.

Your posts are kinda of Mind over Matter.....

I don't mind, as you don't matter...

laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My 1911 will defeat your bike lock with over penetration.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The National Guard Act, and recent amendments, centralized funding to a federal source to make it easier for Guardsmen to move state to state and between components (Guard-Reserve-Active) without having to endure a different retirement with each move. I know, I've been in 41 years and have been active, then reserve, now guard.

When in state active duty status, Guardsmen do not receive any federal retirement points, or federal subsidies, like housing, medical, etc. It's a stand-alone gig.

The President, through a declaration of a national emergency or disaster, can authorize payments to a State to pay for the Guard. However, when in State status, they are not agents of the US at all.

Relative to Veteran Status, until just recently, Guardsman who were never called up to serve in a federal status, and did not serve in federal status for over 6(?) months, were not Veterans. Period.

Trump just signed a bill to change that a few (months?) ago.

The Guard used to be a easy gig (or so I'm told). My unit has troops deployed and troops in combat on a regular basis. We went from a "Strategic Reserve" to an "Active Reserve" in the post 9-11 area.

Given the current threat basis (ISIS, et al) I don't see the Guard getting less active in national events.

Thanks for your service.

And clarification.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Nice try, but wrong.

Your "facts" are incorrect.

Usually those who defend the Left use "facts" like the media uses statistics. They make them up at the time of use.

That was uncalled for.
You owe the Colonel an apology.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure that wasn't aimed at me.

John Stark.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
My 1911 will defeat your bike lock with over penetration.
Only if you have time to respond

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tzone

You don't support a solution, then you are part of the problem.

We are part of the problem if we don't support the military killing protesters? Your mindset is actually part of the problem. If he's not for you he's the enemy? I don't agree with 1/2 the schit you say, that doesn't mean I want you dead!

You're a very angry person that should probably get help for it. Not post about murdering someone over the internet. By doing that, you are proving what he said. Still an idiot.

seafire is an idiot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kroo88

Thanks for your service.

And clarification.

I can honestly say I've poured my heart and soul into this, but no matter how much I give of my self, those brave men and women coming up behind me give me more than I give them. They are amazing to watch and to lead and I'm blessed to be counted in their number.

I thank the Lord everyday for leading me to them when I was a young man, and allowing me to stay these many years into being an old man.

I am humbled by them, and by the great people of all walks in this great nation.

Service is an honor, and I'm glad to be afforded the opportunity to serve.

John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by tzone

You don't support a solution, then you are part of the problem.

We are part of the problem if we don't support the military killing protesters? Your mindset is actually part of the problem. If he's not for you he's the enemy? I don't agree with 1/2 the schit you say, that doesn't mean I want you dead!

You're a very angry person that should probably get help for it. Not post about murdering someone over the internet. By doing that, you are proving what he said. Still an idiot.

seafire is an idiot.

an you are the epitome of reason and intelligence....(snicker, snicker, snicker)...

and when you got the time..... GFY..Fish Boy.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kroo88

Thanks for your service.

And clarification.

I can honestly say I've poured my heart and soul into this, but no matter how much I give of my self, those brave men and women coming up behind me give me more than I give them. They are amazing to watch and to lead and I'm blessed to be counted in their number.

I thank the Lord everyday for leading me to them when I was a young man, and allowing me to stay these many years into being an old man.

I am humbled by them, and by the great people of all walks in this great nation.

Service is an honor, and I'm glad to be afforded the opportunity to serve.

David,

a salute of respect and appreciation for your service Sir!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back when Kent State happened-- you had many males making sure they were in college to avoid the draft because of Vietnam --- You also had those avoiding the draft by quickly sighing up for the National Guard before graduation from high school. (Same Same G I ) Other options were to get married and have a child or go to Canada .
Some of the National Guardsmen I knew would have supported those college students at Kent State. -- Some would not have

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am fully in favor of using NG to contain these unlawful riots.

It was a certain shame that the Kent State fatalities did include innocents on the far side of campus.

I would change the rules of engagement vs Kent State. Let the boys on the ground fix bayonets, and put snipers on the roofs surrounding the disturbance. ANY protestor displaying a weapon SHOULD be dealt with by the sniper teams forthwith using 22 cal high velocity ammo and frangible bullets to minimize over penetration. If the boys with bayonets get overwhelmed, they would have full mags and spares to take care of that issue.

I bet it would only take once. Not many snowfakes would be willing to stare death in the face, for any reason. Let alone a paltry $50 a day of George Soros's money.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no way, thank God, that National Guard Soldiers will fix bayonets against US citizens.

We are the good guys, and that would disappear in a single stabbing.

John Stark.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Please swing that gay lock at me professor. smile

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I yield to your superior knowledge in this matter. And I would mention my extreme gratitude and respect for your years of service.

My only thought re bayonets, The mere sight would prevent our gallant Guardsmen from being physically over run, with out concern that errant bullets might hit innocents.
I suppose this is where 12 ga and bean bags are appropriate, backed up by a bandolier of buckshot.

'Tis easy to make suggestions from the sidelines. It is a different matter entirely when you are responsible for the lives of the men in your command, and dealing with the political aftermath. I do understand that.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 08/26/17.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
There is no way, thank God, that National Guard Soldiers will fix bayonets against US citizens.

We are the good guys, and that would disappear in a single stabbing.

These folks aren't Americans. I don't care what it says on their passports.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Interesting :

"Kent State shootings: Does former informant hold the key to the May 4 mystery?"

http://www.cleveland.com/science/index.ssf/2010/12/kent_state_shootings_does_form.html

Curious too if is it now or was it in the past SOP for National Guard troops to be issued and permitted to carry 'hot' lethal ammunition loaded firearms when actively working riot control situations?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,152
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.