Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well stated curdog4570. It looks like this is moving far beyond a normal flood where people do stupid things.

A lot of perfectly good people are experiencing something never seen before. Hurricanes are supposed to hit land and then move inland very quickly. This one didn't and the associated rain fall is becoming almost epic in proportion if you can believe the news media.

This is a huge and extremely slow moving tropical storm at this time that is apparently still capable of killing people but in a way far different from most other hurricanes.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Passing through Amarillo today clear skies of course and can't do nothing but hope ya'll and friends and family fair it welk. Good luck!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The News showing Houston is a mess, when I lived there in 1980 a heavy rain would cause some flooding, back then. Praying for our campfire friends, and all in South Texas!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sure hope if you have folks there, they are safe!

I have a brother and cousin there now. Cousin is in an RV by Houston airport. He's there on a project for the oilfield. He was fine this morning.

Bod, sure hope they get that power on. If Steph or them needs help, I'll head that way!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Eerily the same. I remember my grandmother speaking of this storm. They lived in Eastrn Williamson county at the time!

http://www.texasescapes.com/MikeCoxTexasTales/Central-Texas-Flood.htm

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Hope they are OK, Gene

Thanks, Roger. My son just called to let me know he was OK. He was busy helping get neighbors to his house which is two-story. About a quarter of the houses in his area ARE two story, so those folks like him are taking in their neighbors.

He still has power with an inch of water in the house. Once it reaches the wiring I reckon breakers will start tripping.

The other house where Grandkids are is still above water.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike Cox is a fellow member of the Texas Outdoor Writers Association, and a great guy, but in 1979 we got 48 inches, if I remember right, in 24 hours at Liverpool - below Alvin on Chocolate Bayou (where I lived at the time), and we were told that was in the Guiness Book of records.

After that one, I didn't want to see it rain for a long, long time!

Mike

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my brothers are still without power,

Still no power here either. I live in the Delmar area. There's power downtown, but that ends before Shoreline Hospital. All the hospitals have generators, of course. This is the older part of town where we live, lots of mature trees, so lots of power lines down. I'm making plans to get a generator today, friend up by Austin is buying it and meeting me halfway. It was real warm in the house last night so I'll hook up a window A/C unit in the TV room and we can all sleep in there. Checked the freezer last night, everything is still frozen solid, but the fridge is warm. I have 150 pounds of good venison and 30-40 pounds of Gulf fish in that freezer, don't want to lose them!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Where I in a house with water rising in it, I'd have already killed the main.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I keep my Cessna at a hangar near Aransas Pass, and there was a lot of damage there. One of the older hangars unzipped in the wind, 6-8 planes were wrecked. Anything not hangared got smashed, tie-downs didn't hold. My hangar is rated for 140 mph winds, and it did fine...N28DW is A-OK. I posted pics on Facebook but haven't figured out pics here on 24HCF yet.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/27/17.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thank god. I've been thinking about you guys. So far it seems everyone here made out okay considering. How's Kaywoody doing? I've been thinking about him and his wife, altogether different if power is life or death. Has anyone heard from him lately?

Kaywoodie is in CO at the moment, and doing well. Said they had minimal damage back home.

That's it.

I don't think they lost power in Bastrop. Good thing.

They lost power at 12:45 this morning. Power co is working on it. Tried to energize about an hour ago but didn't work.

10 1/2" rain by this morn with another possible 20" predicted. A real goat rodeo in the making. I'm gonna try and leave here Friday or Saturday at latest. Hopefully I'll be able to get home by then. Thanks for thinking of us.

Thanks guys. Stay safe and God bless you all.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Same sorta simple thinking would preclude building in flood plains.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

It ain't that simple and with enough rain, damn near ANYONE can be in a flood plain. Ask Noah.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Does flooding in Texas cause or cure other problems down the road? Does the flooding eleviate the problem with red ants, snakes, etc? Does flooding make them worse?

I'm trying to find a bright spot for you guys. I know that folks prefer red ants to hurricanes but hopefully something good can come of it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My youngest son is Houston FF as far as I know he is still at work. I ask prayers for him and all the first responders. As said above there are a lot of people experiencing flood waters in their home for the fist time and are having to be rescued.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long term residential project planning's a bit outside of the immediate and SOUND practicality of getting that

Long term residential project planning's a bit outside of the immediate and SOUND practicality of getting that main shut down right NOW.

Transient currents can and do kill, .....sometimes breakers blow, sometimes they don't.

Would advise contacting those folks, and telling them to PLEASE do so now.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Long term residential project planning's a bit outside of the immediate and SOUND practicality of getting that

Long term residential project planning's a bit outside of the immediate and SOUND practicality of getting that main shut down right NOW.

Transient currents can and do kill, .....sometimes breakers blow, sometimes they don't.

Would advise contacting those folks, and telling them to PLEASE do so now.

GTC

Yep, was the point. I sure as HELL am not going to count an ANY breaker 'blowing'

I've taught the wife over and over again about throwing the main.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a vehicle and I'm in San Antonio, I can run supples 6 hours in any direction upon request.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It ain't that simple and with enough rain, damn near ANYONE can be in a flood plain. Ask Noah.

Sure tis. The place my great grandad settled {in Oregon lol} ain't going to flood. There's millions of square miles that ain't going to flood, they'll get wet but not covered in current geological times. They're hundreds of feet above the river bottoms. But folks settled long ago in those areas that do or will. Not meant to make light of any of it, at all.

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking at the news, you have to wonder how much trash, chemicals, and sewage will be washing into the ocean.

Page 21 of 36 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 44automag, Anaconda, 450yukon, 10 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,379
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.