Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just chatted with Rost495.

He's at the Fire Station, been there since 8:00PM last night when they went looking for a small child. Child found OK. Jeff said that they've had 16" of rain so far and it's still coming down. They are starting water rescues now. In addition to regular boats, two of the firefighters have brought their airboats to help.

He also said that the only damage to his place was a large oak tree blown down near the barn. His lovely bride is OK, too.

Sponxx just replied that they are OK, there is about 1" of water on the garage floor and some has seeped under the flooring of the house and they can see damage to the dining room floor.

They live about a mile west of M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and Children's Hospital.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Where I in a house with water rising in it, I'd have already killed the main.

Same sorta simple thinking would preclude building in flood plains.

It ain't that simple and with enough rain, damn near ANYONE can be in a flood plain. Ask Noah.

Sure tis. The place my great grandad settled {in Oregon lol} ain't going to flood. There's millions of square miles that ain't going to flood, they'll get wet but not covered in current geological times. They're hundreds of feet above the river bottoms. But folks settled long ago in those areas that do or will. Not meant to make light of any of it, at all.

When the plates stop shifting, we can talk.

Let me know when they start refining oil in Mitchell, Oregon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Around 20 inches so far in Webster, just South of Houston. Water got about 2 feet from the front door before it slacked off & the storm drain could catch up. Some folks in their lifted trucks overestimated their abilities and are dead in the water near 528 & I-45. Still have power, thankfully, although a transformer just kersploded somewhere pretty close. More on the way! grin

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

It ain't that simple and with enough rain, damn near ANYONE can be in a flood plain. Ask Noah.

Sure tis. The place my great grandad settled {in Oregon lol} ain't going to flood. There's millions of square miles that ain't going to flood, they'll get wet but not covered in current geological times. They're hundreds of feet above the river bottoms. But folks settled long ago in those areas that do or will. Not meant to make light of any of it, at all.

Mtn,

The South is a lot different then living in the Mountain west. A lot of flat minimal graduation and very slow moving rivers so water stays around longer then it does in places like Colorado and Oregon.

A few years back the company I was working for opened a new, large office in a Texas city. I considered moving and was surprised how long a commute I have every day in order to live outside the 1% flood plain.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

When the plates stop shifting, we can talk.

Let me know when they start refining oil in Mitchell, Oregon.

Oh DAMN those idiots! Putting all them coastal ports at sea level.......

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wade may be a Lawyer but he still is a North Texas Country boy at heart. His house is pier and beam so no wiring in the bottom inch. Water is coming in front door and emptying out into the back yard with a bayou just outside his fence. The bayou can still accomadate more water so for now, an inch is all he will get in the house. Heat pump is on raised concrete platform.

He has sense enough to throw the at risk circuit breakers if water continues to rise.

He is stuck with a BUNCH of neighbors, all the old and young upstairs so having power is making things a lot more bearable.

House was built in the 'eighties and has never had water up to the bottom of the steps before.

Thanks for all the concern.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by byc
Fatality number 2! And not from the fight. Ugh.

Godspeed!!

Also, hoping these gouching azzwipes are torched!! Saw a report of some dude selling a case of H20 for $99. That ain't right.

I've been at the fire station since 8pm Friday night.

Saw a short clip on the AG of TX said the ones selling water like that if caught, will get like a 2500 dollar fine and if selling to someone 65 or older get 250,000 fine. IIRC.

I'm so tired right now I kind of might have those numbers flipped.

We are just sitting waiting right now... river going to 49 or more feet, has not been that high since 1935.

Boats ready to go.

According to the dispatches Bastrop county is doing a lot of water rescue.

Our max is supposed to be 3-10 am Monday some point.

Chief thinks he might let us go home Tuesday possibly some time. LOL. Thankfully I have a great and understanding wife in Carolyn. And she and Mom have been fairing fine at the farm while I"ve been in town.

Pray for all folks! This one is FAR from over flooding wise.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Talked with my old neighbor about the '35 flood. We should be ok. He showed me where water went. . I can see river bottom from my porch. Mebbe 2 1/2 miles. We should be fine. House is 4' off ground. If water gets in it, cities of Bastrop, Smithville, and La Grange are gonna have really big issues.

Édit! Biggest problem here with flooding is debris in fences! Til fence finally washes out!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/27/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. I get it. Good luck to all.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Mtn,

The South is a lot different then living in the Mountain west. A lot of flat minimal graduation and very slow moving rivers so water stays around longer then it does in places like Colorado and Oregon.

A few years back the company I was working for opened a new, large office in a Texas city. I considered moving and was surprised how long a commute I have every day in order to live outside the 1% flood plain.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the updates. I've been following this thread from the beginning and glad everyone is safe.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Here's what 17" of rain looks like at our place. Oct. 30, 2015. Did it again over Memorial Day In 2016!

[Linked Image]

Presumably you have a water dog?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I just read that the hurricane is moving back out into the gulf where it's expected to intensify, then hit land again close to Houston,....the people in the know are referring to it as an unprecedented event.

,...sounds intense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FEMA Jefe just said that Harvey will be the worst disaster to EVER hit Texas.

That puts Obama down in second place, I reckon.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Wednesday is when they say Houston gets the second dose of the hurricane,...and it sounds like it's going to be worse than the first.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sonofabich!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
http://mashable.com/2017/08/24/hurricane-harvey-worst-case-scenario-realized-texas/#65KawJ5Bhqqu

Some computer models even loop the storm back out over the Gulf of Mexico, only to make a second landfall in northeastern Texas or western Louisiana early next week.

Even the most sober-minded meteorologists have been reaching for superlatives on Thursday to try to warn Texans that what they are facing is no ordinary tropical weather system.

I'd be getting out of there if the storm moves back out into the Gulf.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This map makes it look like it's going to do a little counterclockwise whoop-dee-doo out into the Gulf a little ways then come slamming back ashore Wednesday morning.

http://mobile.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/tropical-depression-Harvey

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
http://mashable.com/2017/08/24/hurricane-harvey-worst-case-scenario-realized-texas/#65KawJ5Bhqqu

Some computer models even loop the storm back out over the Gulf of Mexico, only to make a second landfall in northeastern Texas or western Louisiana early next week.

Even the most sober-minded meteorologists have been reaching for superlatives on Thursday to try to warn Texans that what they are facing is no ordinary tropical weather system.

That's from several days ago.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

That's from several days ago.

Yeah,....but the current map I linked looks like the worst case scenario is likely to take place

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Though it is moving south'ish now I guess. Crazy sheit.

Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, 14idaho, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 858 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.