Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, you're incapable of admitting your're wrong. That's all you've shown here.

Congratulations!!

And BTW, check your statement about particles with mass traveling through air at the speed of light, Einstein.

And PS, are you saying it's impossible to drive a bullet too fast, and that a bullet's destructive capacity keeps increasing with increased velocity, without limit?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Congratulations!!

And BTW, check your statement about particles with mass traveling through air at the speed of light, Einstein.

And PS, are you saying it's impossible to drive a bullet too fast, and that a bullet's destructive capacity keeps increasing with increased velocity, without limit?

Why ‘admit’ I’m wrong when I’m correct?

My comments about particles through air are also correct. The speed of light travelling through earth’s atmosphere is less than the theoretical maximum in a perfect vacuum, which, by the way, does not exist in the known universe. In addition, light speed through the atmosphere is not a constant – it varies depending on the density of the atmosphere at different points. It is still correct to say that the particles are travelling through the atmosphere at the speed of light. We also talk about the speed of sound in air, but that is also not constant as it also depends on the density of the air.

And yes, the destructive capability (ability to do work) increases with a projectile’s energy, which increases with its velocity. Whether a particular target is capable of demonstrating that increase depends on the target. In the case of the hand-thrown vs. rifle launched bullet in my previous post, the paper target would be incapable of demonstrating that increase but the rifle launched bullet would demonstrate that capability downrange somewhere.

Taking variables to the extreme is a perfectly valid way of proving a truth, which is what I’ve been doing. Accelerate your frangible bullet to light-speed and its energy and ability to cause destruction are like a sandy beach compared to a single grain of sand when launched at rifle speeds. At more sedate speeds the continuum still holds true.

Every projectile of a given mass has a specific amount of KE depending on its velocity. The energy curve for a 40g projectile at various speeds looks like this:

fps ==> ft-lbs
1,000 ==> 89
2,000 ==> 355
3,000 ==> 799
4,000 ==> 1,421
5,000 ==> 2,221
5,572 ==> 7,555 (This is 5400mph which is about Mach 7 or rail gun speed)
10,000 ==> 8,883
100,000 ==> 888,332
2,732,093 ==> 899,016,663 (Speed of light in air)

Whether you choose a target that can demonstrate the differential is up to you. Failure to do so does not mean the differential does not exist. Denying that the differential exists is more than silly, it denies the well-established laws of physics. Do you believe the earth is flat, too?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/29/17. Reason: typo and add light-speed

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love these threads...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Me too. grin

When CH waxes so poetically about the grains of sand on a beach and includes ballistics tables with bullets traveling the speed of light in the same post, it's just very special.

Never mind that bullets (or particles with mass) can't travel the speed of light (speaking of ignoring the well-established laws of physics), it's just so very very special.

For some reason it reminds me of Christmas turkey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me too. grin

When CH waxes so poetically about the grains of sand on a beach and includes ballistics tables with bullets traveling the speed of light in the same post, it's just very special.

Never mind that bullets (or particles with mass) can't travel the speed of light (speaking of ignoring the well-established laws of physics), it's just so very very special.

In early grade school kids learn to read. Later they read to learn. Some are more successful at both than others. You, apparently, were not one of the more successful students.

Contrary to what you claim, I clearly stated that to achieve the theoretical maximum speed of light in a perfect vacuum a particle would have to be without mass.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/12235938/re-bullet-weight#Post12235938
"In a perfect vacuum (a massless and therefore gravityless environment) than exists even in outer space, the theoretical maximum speed of light is a bit higher than through earth's atmosphere but the particles must be without mass (and therefore without energy) to achieve it."

An omission on my part - that should have read "In a more perfect vacuum...", but you get the idea. Maybe. In any case, you can go back a reread it. As many times as necessary.

Scientific experiments have succeeded in accelerating massful particles to speeds very close to light-speed in a perfect vacuum and much faster than light travels in air, where it is about 90km/s slower, or water, where it is about 25% slower.

For example, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) has accelerated protons, which have mass, to 299,792,447 meters per second. That is 99.9999991% or just 11 meters per second shy of the speed of light in a perfect vacuum.

Those speeds were actually rather slow compared to those achieved by the LEP (Large Electron-Positron Collider). The LEP has accelerated electrons and positrons, both of which have mass, to 299,792,457.9964 meters per second. That is 99.9999999988% or just 0.0036 meters per second slower than the theoretical speed of light in a perfect vacuum.

Granted, 99.9999999988% is not the same as 100%, but frankly, I don't care. For our purposes here it is close enough and then some.

There is nothing preventing a projectile or bullet from travelling at these speeds in a perfect vacuum except for the very separate problem of accelerating the projectiles to those speeds. The acceleration problem is irrelevant to what energy a projectile would carry if accelerated to those speeds.

One other thing. An object's velocity is relative to a fixed position. As the universe expands, many galaxies going in different directions are separating at combined speeds greater than the speed of light in a vacuum. From our perspective on earth, and in a Newtonian sense, that means many galaxies are speeding away from us at speeds greater than light speed. And the last I knew, all galaxies had a great deal of mass.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh brother..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hilarity....

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talk about winning gold pole vaulting mouse turds...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

In early grade school kids learn to read. Later they read to learn. Some are more successful at both than others. You, apparently, were not one of the more successful students.

Contrary to what you claim, I clearly stated that to achieve the theoretical maximum speed of light in a perfect vacuum a particle would have to be without mass.

I didn't learn to read in grade school, I learned before grade school. Some children do that. And some children spend their whole lives laboring under the notion that reading stuff in books makes them smart. They tend to spend a lot of time picking the fly sh** out of the pepper.

Like you.

And to refresh your apparently failing memory, I asked several pages back "which particles with mass travel at the speed of light "at the earth's surface." Not in a vacuum; not in a perfect vacuum; and not in a "more perfect vacuum" whatever that is.

And your answer was "millions!!" Which turns out to be bullsh**, and once you realized it was bullsh** you churned out a few more pages of bullsh** to cover up the fact that you were wrong. So it's just like I said, you're incapable of admitting you're wrong, even when it slaps you upside your pointy little head.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too. grin

"In a perfect vacuum (a massless and therefore gravityless environment) than exists even in outer space, the theoretical maximum speed of light is a bit higher than through earth's atmosphere but the particles must be without mass (and therefore without energy) to achieve it."

An omission on my part - that should have read "In a more perfect vacuum...", but you get the idea. Maybe. In any case, you can go back a reread it. As many times as necessary.

Scientific experiments have succeeded in accelerating massful particles to speeds very close to light-speed in a perfect vacuum and much faster than light travels in air, where it is about 90km/s slower, or water, where it is about 25% slower.

For example, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) has accelerated protons, which have mass, to 299,792,447 meters per second. That is 99.9999991% or just 11 meters per second shy of the speed of light in a perfect vacuum.

Those speeds were actually rather slow compared to those achieved by the LEP (Large Electron-Positron Collider). The LEP has accelerated electrons and positrons, both of which have mass, to 299,792,457.9964 meters per second. That is 99.9999999988% or just 0.0036 meters per second slower than the theoretical speed of light in a perfect vacuum.

Granted, 99.9999999988% is not the same as 100%, but frankly, I don't care. For our purposes here it is close enough and then some.

There is nothing preventing a projectile or bullet from travelling at these speeds in a perfect vacuum except for the very separate problem of accelerating the projectiles to those speeds. The acceleration problem is irrelevant to what energy a projectile would carry if accelerated to those speeds.

One other thing. An object's velocity is relative to a fixed position. As the universe expands, many galaxies going in different directions are separating at combined speeds greater than the speed of light in a vacuum. From our perspective on earth, and in a Newtonian sense, that means many galaxies are speeding away from us at speeds greater than light speed. And the last I knew, all galaxies had a great deal of mass.

Good move ignoring formidulosis... if you actually read what he said you might learn something... right now your axles are buried deep in stupid and you appear willing to stay there grinning and "winning."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Me too. grin

Good move ignoring formidulosis... if you actually read what he said you might learn something... right now your axles are buried deep in stupid and you appear willing to stay there grinning and "winning."

That about sums it up.

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And to refresh your apparently failing memory, I asked several pages back "which particles with mass travel at the speed of light "at the earth's surface." Not in a vacuum; not in a perfect vacuum; and not in a "more perfect vacuum" whatever that is.

And your answer was "millions!!" Which turns out to be bullsh**, and once you realized it was bullsh** you churned out a few more pages of bullsh** to cover up the fact that you were wrong. So it's just like I said, you're incapable of admitting you're wrong, even when it slaps you upside your pointy little head.

And I'll stick by my original answer because it is correct.

The speed of light at the earth's surface (i.e. in the atmosphere) is considerably lower than the theoretical maximum and untold billions of light-speed particles (photons) hit your body every second. This includes photons with different energy levels from that below radio waves to visible light (which represents a very tiny portion of the EM spectrum) to gamma rays. In full sunlight this equates to about 10^17 photons per square centimeter per second. That is about 100,000,000,000,000,000 per square centimeter per second, which is a wee bit more than "millions". For an adult sunbathing on a beach it is about 10^21 (one trillion billion) per second, and that does not include photons generated by other sources. (This assumes 2.0 square meters of skin area for the adult with half of that exposed to the sunlight.)

Photons always travel at the speed of light, which varies depending on the medium through which they travel. Photons travelling through air are still travelling at light-speed, which is different than light-speed in a vacuum or water or glass or whatever. Photons have a theoretical zero mass at rest but have mass when not at rest - and they are never at rest.

It is also true that some particles travel faster than light, again depending on the medium through which they are travelling. Beta particles (electrons or positrons) are a classic and well-understood example. Don't go swimming as the beta particles may get you. But maybe the people giving out the Nobel Prize for Physics (1958, although the discovery was in 1934) didn't know what they were doing.

You really do have a problem with reading comprehension. My statement about a "more perfect vacuum" is easily understood in full context by anyone with average intelligence. My statement "An omission on my part - that should have read "In a more perfect vacuum...", but you get the idea. " was wrong as you clearly DID NOT get the idea. That statement was in reference to the following:

"In a perfect vacuum (a massless and therefore gravityless environment) than exists even in outer space..."

and meant that it should have read thusly:

"In a more perfect vacuum (a massless and therefore gravityless environment) than exists even in outer space..."

Perhaps you are unaware of this, but the vacuum of outer space is not a perfect vacuum. Now you know. Maybe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Congratulations!!

My comments about particles through air are also correct. The speed of light travelling through earth’s atmosphere is less than the theoretical maximum in a perfect vacuum, which, by the way, does not exist in the known universe. In addition, light speed through the atmosphere is not a constant – it varies depending on the density of the atmosphere at different points. It is still correct to say that the particles are travelling through the atmosphere at the speed of light. We also talk about the speed of sound in air, but that is also not constant as it also depends on the density of the air.

And yes, the destructive capability (ability to do work) increases with a projectile’s energy, which increases with its velocity. Whether a particular target is capable of demonstrating that increase depends on the target. In the case of the hand-thrown vs. rifle launched bullet in my previous post, the paper target would be incapable of demonstrating that increase but the rifle launched bullet would demonstrate that capability downrange somewhere.

Taking variables to the extreme is a perfectly valid way of proving a truth, which is what I’ve been doing. Accelerate your frangible bullet to light-speed and its energy and ability to cause destruction are like a sandy beach compared to a single grain of sand when launched at rifle speeds. At more sedate speeds the continuum still holds true.

Every projectile of a given mass has a specific amount of KE depending on its velocity. The energy curve for a 40g projectile at various speeds looks like this:

fps ==> ft-lbs
1,000 ==> 89
2,000 ==> 355
3,000 ==> 799
4,000 ==> 1,421
5,000 ==> 2,221
10,000 ==> 8,883
100,000 ==> 888,332

Whether you choose a target that can demonstrate the differential is up to you. Failure to do so does not mean the differential does not exist. Denying that the differential exists is more than silly, it denies the well-established laws of physics. Do you believe the earth is flat, too?

You better check your math.....how do you get an increase of 5,334 ft lbs of energy with only a 572 fps increase in velocity?(5,000=2,221 vs 5,572=7,555)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Congratulations!!

fps ==> ft-lbs
1,000 ==> 89
2,000 ==> 355
3,000 ==> 799
4,000 ==> 1,421
5,000 ==> 2,221
10,000 ==> 8,883
100,000 ==> 888,332

You better check your math.....how do you get an increase of 5,334 ft lbs of energy with only a 572 fps increase in velocity?(5,000=2,221 vs 5,572=7,555)

Thanks for catching that. Copy/paste error.

The correct number is 2,758 ft-lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Earlier I posted the following but made a copy/paste error. The corrected table is below as it is too late to correct the original.

The line in error was the 5,572fps line, for which I had the wrong energy.. 7,920fps should have been the velocity and 5,572fpe the energy. In the original post I had 7,555 as the energy but that is in joules, not ft-lbs.

============================

fps ==> ft-lbs
1,000 ==> 89
2,000 ==> 355
3,000 ==> 799
4,000 ==> 1,421
5,000 ==> 2,221
7,920 ==> 5,572 (This is 5400mph which is about Mach 7 or rail gun speed)
10,000 ==> 8,883
100,000 ==> 888,332

============================

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/30/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5,572 fps is also 3,799 mph, not 5,400......

Truth is, I'm not really that good with numbers. I'd rather be hunting, shooting, and reloading..

That's why I don't post much on this site anymore. Too much "insight" on topics that are meaningless. Seems like when someone with true real world experience puts up a post/comment, there are those contradicting every word at the drop of a hat....it gets old.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That's why I don't post much on this site anymore. Too much "insight" on topics that are meaningless. Seems like when someone with true real world experience puts up a post/comment, there are those contradicting every word at the drop of a hat....it gets old.

You absolutely nailed that one scenar. Hope your hunting season looks promising up there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Truth is, I'm not really that good with numbers. I'd rather be hunting, shooting, and reloading..

I agree bud. I just put holes in stuff...

Hope things are well with you and yours...

- Greg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I'm headed out this weekend for a week or ten days chasing elk with a bow. And I wanted to get these important questions answered before I leave town.

I often wonder about the kinetic energy of my arrows. Especially if I can shoot them at the speed of light. It would be like millions of arrows, like the grains of sand on a beach.......

GobbleGobbleGobble!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is corrected now. Trying to do about 5 things at once and this one got the least of my attention. Thanks again.

And I agree - I'd rather be out shooting or hunting. Loaded up a dummy .375 Win round this morning with the 235g Speer. Proved to be more of a challenge than I thought. Had to cut the case back an extra .136" below minimum so I could crimp below the ogive. Put a Lee crimp die on order as the RCBS roll crimp wasn't doing the job.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.