Print Thread
Hop To
S
steve1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Surely there must be one or two books that the board can recommend on recognizing various African animals,perhaps along with info on habits and shot placement.Perhaps it will take several books.....I need something to start the drooling process.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

THE PERFECT SHOT, ROBERTSON, KEVIN (ISBN: 1571571639)

Must have book for the African hunter.

-Steve

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Steve,

Have a look at Rowland Wards website - they have an extensive book section for on-line ordering, including a few that would meet your needs - I recommend Kevin Doctari Robinson's books as a worthwhile investment towards your quest for info: use this url to see Rowland Ward's new website (hafta brag here - my marketing guys designed and developed this)

http://www.rowlandward.com/

Hope this helps

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Big book of the Perfect shot is outstanding, however the smaller pocket guide has some advantages to take along with you. I have the big one in the lodge but I also have the pocket guide in my little pack. When I'm talking with a hunter about a specific shot, I find it easier to use the pictures in that little pocket guide to make the understanding of the shot perfectly clear to them. it's also something I have used in a blind with a young hunter or less experienced hunter just before a shot is taken.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Peter,

Nice site. Looking through it, I was reminded of another must have book. African Hunter II. Lots of good info in it as well. The chapters about each country are essential research material.

-Steve

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is also a DVD version of the perfect shot that is good as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Perfect Shot book is excellent.

For a general wildlife / field guide, I like the National Audubon Society Field Guide to African Wildlife.

Nothing in it about hunting and shot placement, of course, but it's got good species info and photos. It's a handy size to take along on safari also.

[Linked Image]

-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Perfect Shot book is excellent.

For a general wildlife / field guide, I like the National Audubon Society Field Guide to African Wildlife.

+1 on both.

One thing about Africa--you'll see way more wildlife than you can shoot. My wife and I tried to check off things we'd seen in the Audubon book, but got so far behind, so fast, that we gave up.

John

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In addition to the Robertson and NG books, there are a couple of outstanding field guides written by Africans. They are hard to find over here, but you might check out a bookstore over there:

LAND MAMMALS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA: A FIELD GUIDE
by Reay H.N. Smithers

THE KINGDON FIELD GUIDE TO AFRICAN MAMMALS
by Jonathan Kingdon

The first is only for Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and South Africa, though of course it would be useful in bordering countries as well. The Kingdon guide covers all of Africa, and since Kingdon is a noted biologist, it has loads of interesting information.

John Barsness

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Richard Estes, The Safari Companion (A Guide to Watching African Mammals) ISBN 0-930031-49-0

Amazon.com has it for under $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Companion-W...TF8&s=books

The book is heavy on behavior, and would go along well with something with better pictures as the drawings are all B&W.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Encyclopedia of Big Game Animals in Africa and their Trophies by Pierre Fiorenza.

Peter - great work on the Rowland Ward website - light years from what it was. Now if they can only get their act together...

I recently ordered a couple of books from them. Got a confirmation of the order and my card was charged. A day later, I received an e-mail from them saying that their US source had none of the books in stock, but they would ship one to me from SA which could take 10 weeks or so. Of course, I could opt to pay them another $50 to have it air mailed from SA to me. Having dealt with surface shipments from SA in the past, 10 weeks is optimistic, if it arrives at all (about a third of things I bought from SA never made it here via surface shipment).

I asked them to cancel the order. To me, the fact that their US distributor can't keep track of its iinventory should not impact my order one bit. Most other companies would have understood that and air mailed the books at their cost (other SA companies I have dealt with from books to bullets have done that in the past).

They have a nice website, but I won't try to buy anything from them again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I forgot about a book by Lou Hallamore called "In the Salt". He has some interesting thoughts on bullet placement on african game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In addition to the Perfect Shot and Audubon the Collins Field Guide Larger Mammels of Africa by Jean Dorst and Pierre Dandelot has served me well. Don't know if it is available in US I bought my copy at the airport bookstore in Johannesburg.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 843 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.