Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Utah is known as the Beehive state but they also have some of the finest hunting in the western US. One of my sons' father in law has 10,000 acres & he gets some land owner tags each year for both deer & antelope. I was offered 4 of them this year but only took 2, one of each. These are antlerless tags & the hunts run about three & a half months.
I had a deer tag last year & seen lots of deer but waited to long & the snow got deep & I couldn't get to them, my mistake! Anyway, this year I decided to go earlier although it's been very hot. The drive is about 115 miles & I arrived about 7:30, hoping to catch the antelope heading for a big reservoir he has on the property. I've only been there a couple of times & his land is pretty scattered so I wasn't exactly sure where it was at.
As I headed down a long dirt road & then turned onto another dirt road I started following a pretty little stream & then started seeing several deer, yikes, change of plans! I had wanted to shoot an antelope with my scoped 357 Maximum & then hopefully fill the other tag with my old flat top 44 magnum. I originally was going to take the Bisley 41 but it gets quite a bit of work & the OM 44 flat top hadn't stretched it legs for a while so it was a last minute change of plans.
When I stopped all the heads came up & I grabbed the 357 Maximum & went around the back of the truck, the tail gate was down because my 4 wheeler is too long to fit so I had a place to steady my left elbow, a real key to shooting a sixgun from the standing postion. Every deer was getting ready to run & although I wanted to shoot a dry doe there really wasn't time to be picky, I singled out a big doe that was a bit separated from the other 13-14 in the group, lined up from a center lung shot & lit the switch. She stumbled & run 10 yds or so & then stopped & did kind of a jump in the air. I thumbed back the hammer on the 10 1/2" Ruger & sent another 200 grs of lead poison her way.
Just as I broke the shot he made another one of those little jumps & I hit her lower in the leg & clipped her brisket. The shot broke the leg & she ran 10-15 yds & went down. The problem now was, she was across the stream so I had to take off my trusty Croc's & socks, & use my walking stick to balance me as I sank in the deep mud on each side of the bank.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Now I had to get her across the stream & the best way to do that is to not gut them until you reach the other side. I had to float her down stream about 150 yds & then pull her out of the sticky mud, I was sinking over a foot each step once I got to the other side. Then I walked back & got my 4 wheeler & drove down to get her but she was too heavy to load so I had to gut her first & then I loaded her & rode the 4 wheeler right up into the truck.
Shade is really hard to find in this area, there are almost no trees & I drove for 6-7 miles & ran into a guy from Nevada taking a dip in the stream & he took a photo of me standing next to my truck. Then I drove another 5-6 miles to an old abandoned farm house that had one small shade tree & I boned the meat there & put it in the coolers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/s2Ks9O4.jpg[/img]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fun times, I love hunting Utah.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great story, some fine eating too, good luck with the lopes!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks guys! The shot was exactly 90 yds & the hole you can see is the exit, she was facing to my right when I popped her. I have really tender feet & this wasn't something I planned on but I really didn't have any choice but to float her down stream & then pick her up with the 4 wheeler so it worked out ok.
About 3 hours after this I had a shot at an antelope but she slammed it into passing gear just as I took the shot. There were 6 of them & she stopped just for a split second at about 60 yds & the others ran past her. I didn't dare shoot because there was one little 10" buck in the bunch so I had to wait just long enough & she broke hard & I shot right behind her.
Probably just as well, it was 98 degrees & I was totally wiped out after boning out the deer, if I would have nailed her I probably would still be down there, face down in the field with a boning knife in my hands. I'll go back in the next couple of days & try again. I drank 2 bottles of water & almost a gallon of ice tea & still couldn't keep hydrated.
Here is a 3 shot group I shot with the 10 1/2" 357 Maximum using the 200 gr. gas checked LBT's two days before I left, this is at 100 yds. The shoulder holster is the Signature series by Mike Barranti, they are serial numbered. I have #1 & I think the other is #6, they are amazing!

[Linked Image]

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You earned that one brother. Good show.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, congratulations and can't wait for the sequel!

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Went back yesterday, set in one spot & watched 29 head of Antelope for 11 hours as they fed in a hay field. Normally they will head to water 2-3 times during the day & I was in a great spot between them & the water, only problem was there were 3 guys about 1/4 mile away putting some well casing into a deep water well. All the Antelope were watching them & wouldn't leave the safety of the field 500 yds away.
I had ran out of water & didn't want to leave & give up my hiding spot, it was pretty miserable sitting there, first in a pretty good rain, then in the hot sun. After the drillers left I stuck it out 3 more hours but the Antelope were still too cautious to do anything but mill around, feed, lay down, etc. A couple of times some small bucks came with range but I can't shoot a buck & they must have known the rules because it was like they were teasing me!
Finally at 7pm I decided I was well cooked & gave up, I'll go back in the next couple of days, I think I've got a better game plan & hopefully can blood the OM 44 magnum, if not the 357 Maximum can save the day, we'll see how it plays out. Saw lots of deer again, including a couple of dandy shooters.
I also saw something that I have no answer for, maybe someone can enlighten me. I've seen feral dogs & I've seen feral cats (field lions) all my life, when we see field lions we shoot them, they kill a lot of birds. Yesterday as I was driving in quite early I saw 2 hen Pheasants standing in the road, this area has lots of grouse & pheasants so no surprise. What did surprise me was there were 2 barn roosters with the pheasants, I guarantee they were domestic chickens, there were also some other birds moving in the brush but I didn't see them good enough to tell what they were but I do know was 2 of them were farm roosters just from the color & the fact that I've owned lots of chickens. There are no farm houses within 5-6 miles of where these birds were. Thoughts?

Dick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.