-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it that people come to the forum asking questions when they already have the answers? A poster with 13 posts arguing he has the right answers. Why ask the question? Sounds like a millenial to me.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
There's no need to get carried away with answering any query put forward by 'Woolrich', he's just another fcking troll. Check out his "Need Help 20 ga o/u for clays " post on the Shotgun forum.

Steelie has him nailed, he has retard figured out quite nicely.

Last edited by MikeNZ; 08/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S99VG

The mystique of the 280 AI is that it seems to gain an absurd amount of velocity from a small gain in powder capacity. But it is in fact no magic, just loading to higher pressures. For some reason when designing the 280 Remington held the pressure to 60k PSI while the 270 Win was 65K. If you load the the 280 to 65k PSI then the velocity gain of the 280 AI is just 50 - 100 fps.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Prwlr

For some reason when designing the 280 Remington held the pressure to 60k PSI while the 270 Win was 65K.

It was held to 60k because it was originally designed to be used in Remington semi-auto and pump action rifles.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by S99VG
Maybe my ignorance is showing but is an AI conversion really worth it? As I asked earlier, what's lacking in the 280 Remington? And if lacking, then maybe it's time to move on to another "off the shelf cartridge.

But the .280 AI is an off the shelf. cartridge.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by S99VG
Maybe my ignorance is showing but is an AI conversion really worth it? As I asked earlier, what's lacking in the 280 Remington? And if lacking, then maybe it's time to move on to another "off the shelf cartridge.

But the .280 AI is an off the shelf. cartridge.

As I said...

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
S99VG

The mystique of the 280 AI is that it seems to gain an absurd amount of velocity from a small gain in powder capacity. But it is in fact no magic, just loading to higher pressures. For some reason when designing the 280 Remington held the pressure to 60k PSI while the 270 Win was 65K. If you load the the 280 to 65k PSI then the velocity gain of the 280 AI is just 50 - 100 fps.

Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MikeNZ

For some reason when designing the 280 Remington held the pressure to 60k PSI while the 270 Win was 65K.

It was held to 60k because it was originally designed to be used in Remington semi-auto and pump action rifles.

Thanks too

"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Woolrich
Hmm, not a gunsmith in the bunch I'll wager..
Nah, that's not the reason.. Those of us who ARE gunsmiths at times just wanna sit back and enjoy the show..

Best beer and popcorn I've had all week... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Nah, that's not the reason.. Those of us who ARE gunsmiths at times just wanna sit back and enjoy the show..

Yup.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck

+1 I would bet that he's going to have to bring it to one of us thats not a gunsmith to have it fixed, after we told him so. Like the old saying says you can't fix damn stupid

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Aside from the insults (retard), no one has been able to refute what the linked GUNSMITH said.

Even as a "retard" I have probably built and own more wildcats than the posters who have opinions or can pass on what they read somewhere.

IF, the recutting from 280 Rem to AI goes badly (nothing is going to blow up (anyone who knows about false shoulder fireforming already know that) I do own a bbl. vise and wrench to pull the bbl, cut it off enough to start clean and cut a new chamber.

As for the demeaning comments about my shotgun post, it's clear that there are members here whose stock and trade is STFU because I know everything about everything. Those sitting in God's waiting room, which is unlivable six months of the year, have plenty of time to offer insults to those are not huddled in airconditioning.

As for our two "real" gunsmiths (above) I'm sure they have active businesses building AI rifles and can share the links to their websites with us.

When the rifle is done, I'll report back.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Or let him learn the hard way

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by z1r

It isn't necessary to setback a barrel a full turn unless the barrel has iron sights. It's only required that you set the barrel back a minimum of .004" (assuming the factory barrel has minimum headspace).

I agree that if you don't have to set the barrel back a full turn unless u have sights but I like to do two turns that way when I cut the new chamber it's fresh and thoroughly cleaned out

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In all the years I've built rifles, I was never actually asked to rechambered a standard chamber to AI. All were AI builds from the start and used new barrel blanks. That said, setting back the barrel two turns on the rifles I build would result in a reduction of threads of almost 2/5's. Not feasible, also why in my case, I preferred no to rechamber a barrel but start with a fresh one.

If the barrel has sufficient threads to allow a set back of two turns, then there is nothing wrong with doing so.

The OP's post clearly illustrates why, when I buy a used rifle, I treat it as a donor action only. You just never know what the previous owner had done and whether it was done correctly.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Aside from the insults (retard), no one has been able to refute what the linked GUNSMITH said.

Even as a "retard" I have probably built and own more wildcats than the posters who have opinions or can pass on what they read somewhere.

IF, the recutting from 280 Rem to AI goes badly (nothing is going to blow up (anyone who knows about false shoulder fireforming already know that) I do own a bbl. vise and wrench to pull the bbl, cut it off enough to start clean and cut a new chamber.

As for the demeaning comments about my shotgun post, it's clear that there are members here whose stock and trade is STFU because I know everything about everything. Those sitting in God's waiting room, which is unlivable six months of the year, have plenty of time to offer insults to those are not huddled in airconditioning.

As for our two "real" gunsmiths (above) I'm sure they have active businesses building AI rifles and can share the links to their websites with us.

When the rifle is done, I'll report back.

So in short, inbreeding bad.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nobody is refuting the info in the referenced link. What is being refuted is your belief that a barrel does not need to be set back when RECHAMBERING. Wasn't that the original context of the OPs post?

FWIW, the referenced link speaks to chambering (as in a new, unchambered barrel) the 280AI and the supposed difference in the pre/post Nolser 280AI - NOT rechambering an existing 280 Rem barrel to 280AI.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Nobody is refuting the info in the referenced link. What is being refuted is your belief that a barrel does not need to be set back when RECHAMBERING. Wasn't that the original context of the OPs post?

FWIW, the referenced link speaks to chambering (as in a new, unchambered barrel) the 280AI and the supposed difference in the pre/post Nolser 280AI - NOT rechambering an existing 280 Rem barrel to 280AI.

That's what I tried to point out as well. People are gonna read what they want to see not what's actually printed.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by WiFowler

That's what I tried to point out as well. People are gonna read what they want to see not what's actually printed.

Where's the link to your Gunsmithing website.........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grinning. By all means, please report back....just don't blame the brass...

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,669
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.