Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been there a few times and haven't really found a place I wanted to rush back to. Have eaten dockside and wasn't impressed with the quality of the meal compared to price. Not looking for fancy, just a decent burger/seafood joint with cold beer of course. Thanks.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general most places in Alaska won't be happy with the quality vs. price ratio. I haven't eaten at a restaurant in Seward for over 10 years so can't give any recent advice. We usually just stop at Carrs on the way to or back from fishing to grab a bite.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The bus Reds for burgers, Woody,s for Thai food, there slow, but good.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had lunch at Woody's last summer and the bill was way beyond ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!! The food mediocre... No alcohol and a simple lunch for two was over $60 before considering a tip for lousy service!

The food at Chinooks is very good, but cheaper than Woody's! wink They often have black cod on the menu and it is very, very good!

Reds burgers are very good!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a good meal of halibut at a dockside place, but my friend's halibut cheek chowder was what really impressed me. Hopefully someone that knows Seward knows the name. Not cheap, but good.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I had a good meal of halibut at a dockside place, but my friend's halibut cheek chowder was what really impressed me. Hopefully someone that knows Seward knows the name. Not cheap, but good.

Ray's? Next door to Chinooks?

Ray's is priceier, pretty good, but I have liked Chinooks better.

Chinooks understands a scallop needs to barely touch the heat...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In 2013, the better half and I had supper at the Salmon Bake in Seward. It is not fancy. Good service and friendly people. Just checked their menu to refresh my memory. I think we had the Ale Battered Red Snapper which I understand in AK, is rockfish. It was really good. Beer was good and cold also and was probably the Glacier Blond Ale or Amber. Stayed at the Windsong hotel right up Exit Glacier road, close by. On the two week trip, rockfish or red snapper was my favorite. Cod was next and then halibut. Restaurants are notorious for changing so who knows how it is now.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 09/01/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
In 2013, the better half and I had supper at the Salmon Bake in Seward. It is not fancy. Good service and friendly people. Just checked their menu to refresh my memory. I think we had the Ale Battered Red Snapper which I understand in AK, is rockfish. It was really good. Beer was good and cold also and was probably the Glacier Blond Ale or Amber. Stayed at the Windsong hotel right up Exit Glacier road, close by. On the two week trip, rockfish or red snapper was my favorite. Cod was next and then halibut. Restaurants are notorious for changing so who knows how it is now.

Yelloweye rockfish (red snapper on some menus) is an outstanding fish and far better than halibut...

And I prefer cod to halibut under most circumstances...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Every place to eat in Seward can be spendy, so if you use that as your litmus test you'll be sorely disappointed, but for pure satisfaction get the smoked scallop mac 'n cheese at Chinook's. You can thank me later...

Chris

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yelloweye rockfish (red snapper on some menus) is an outstanding fish and far better than halibut...

+1 to both.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

+1 to both.

I always suspected you were a pretty smart guy1

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

+1 to both.

+2

The best compliment I can give halibut is, it freezes well! But for fresh fish, I'll take rockfish and cod all day long!

Jeff

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I agree with the rest of you, rockfish or cod before halibut.

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you all for the suggestions. We've spent enough time in AK to know things aren't cheap in any restaurant, that's a given and that's okay. Figuratively speaking, I don't mind paying for a Caddy if I'm driving a Caddy, just not interested in making those payments and driving a Yugo. Hadn't found a place yet in Seward that we really enjoyed eating at, looks like we'll be trying Chinook's this time around. Many thanks, all.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We have always liked Chinooks. Last month we tried the Alaska Salmon Bake and it became our new favorite. We also like the Showcase Longe, especially if they happen to have halibut cheeks available.
JM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I've been called a weirdo because I do not care for salmon. I guess I haven't tried Rockfish as I've always favored halibut.

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
We were trying to remember the name of the bar we stopped in, it was the Showcase, thanks for the reminder! Had a great time there and planned to go back. We just stopped in for thirst reasons last time, maybe we'll give them a shot as well, menu looks good. Thanks to all, we now have at least 3 places to try.

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Back from our trip, great time, excellent fishing. We went to the Showcase in Seward for the seafood chowder and were not disappointed a bit, really good. Also hit Chinooks for supper and liked that very well too. As a side note to Chinooks, a black bear walked down the sidewalk right outside our window while we were eating, it was the third pass he made that day.

Now, another question for you fish experts. We brought home salmon, halibut, ling, and yellow eye. We've always brought home halibut and salmon, but this was the first for the yellow eye, and though we baked it like we do the other two, it came out very tough and chewy. It seemed to take a lot longer to cook than halibut, maybe we didn't cook it long enough? We sure didn't over cook it, any suggestions for the next try?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maggie
Back from our trip, great time, excellent fishing. We went to the Showcase in Seward for the seafood chowder and were not disappointed a bit, really good. Also hit Chinooks for supper and liked that very well too. As a side note to Chinooks, a black bear walked down the sidewalk right outside our window while we were eating, it was the third pass he made that day.

Now, another question for you fish experts. We brought home salmon, halibut, ling, and yellow eye. We've always brought home halibut and salmon, but this was the first for the yellow eye, and though we baked it like we do the other two, it came out very tough and chewy. It seemed to take a lot longer to cook than halibut, maybe we didn't cook it long enough? We sure didn't over cook it, any suggestions for the next try?

You did, without doubt overcook it. Baking is not a good way to cook much white fish.

I suggest lightly flouring the filets, add a little dill weed, salt and pepper to the flour and pan fry in butter. Measure the thickest part of the piece and cook for 8-10 minutes per inch. It is best to cut it into pieces about the same thickness as yelloweye filets vary greatly. It is one of the best sashimi fish we get. It is easy to overcook.

If you like halibut Olympia substitute lingcod or yelloweye for an immediate improvement.

THE important thing to remember... eat the yelloweye and lingcod soon. At 6 months it is history, regardless what you do to keep it. Halibut is bullet-proof in the freezer and will keep well for years (it's only redeeming feature).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Halibut is currently selling for 3x the price of lingcod or yelloweye and is not close to as good, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.