-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the 150 grain 308 and any 358 bullet over 180 grain should receive honorary mention.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ranking of velocity was

125 gr 260. 2946. Fps

140 gr 708

140 gr 260

150 gr 708

165 gr 308

160 gr 708

180 gr 308

200 gr 308. 2384. Fps

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Any of them traveling at the speed of light will overpenetrate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Any of them traveling at the speed of light will WAY overpenetrate.

Fixed it for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Angus1895,

After pouring over your results I conclude any will work in an Eastern hardwood forest.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Angus1895,

After pouring over your results I conclude any will work in an Eastern hardwood forest.

You obviously don't understand physics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

mass as well as velocity - i.e. energy.

what?

In full context, what I wrote was "If you have a particular bullet and want to insist its velocity matters, only then are you correct because you are also talking about a particular mass as well as velocity - i.e. energy."

Energy = 1/2 * m * v * v

I would also add that for a particular mass and velocity, momentum is also a known quantity.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems the less a cartridge is " necked " down the more efficiently it transfers energy to the bullet. And a larger bore would also mean a lighter barrel.

Although mass is divided in half, there is more variability in mass between bullets than velocity. Hence more energy for larger heavier bullets.

But smaller bores will allow superior sectional density and hence Ballistic Coefficient also. With less recoil.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

mass as well as velocity - i.e. energy.

what?

mass x velocity = Force (ie; F= mass x accel.) A concise statement of Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion.
Force has both magnitude and direction.

energy has no direction, but when an object's velocity increases, so does its energy.
Energy is the ability to do work. Force is said to do work, spending energy in the process.

you require something to be accomplished for it to be considered work.(ie; if you spend energy trying
to move an object and it doesnt move, you have not done any work). yet If you lift a hammer but dont
drive a nail, you still have done work simply by lifting the hammer.

Work = Force x Distance.

Momentum (time dependent) measures the 'motion content' of an object (mass in motion) and is based
on the product of an object's mass and velocity.(force).
Momentum being time dependent, means the longer a force is applied, the amount of momentum increases.

There is so much wrong here it's ridiculous.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed, the very reasons I'm just gonna go material rifle 50-20-30mm. grin

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

In full context, what I wrote was "If you have a particular bullet and want to insist its velocity matters, only then are you correct because you are also talking about a particular mass as well as velocity - i.e. energy."

Energy = 1/2 * m * v * v

Or maybe if you're talking about velocity you're just using it as an indicator to make sure you're operating within the design parameters of the bullet for maximum wounding. You know, that stuff Formidilosus keeps bringing up. But what does he know?

Too slow and the bullet doesn't open. Too fast and it disintegrates and doesn't penetrate into the vitals. Pretty simple stuff really and no equations needed to understand it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I often see people writing about "transfer"of kinetic energy but no one seems to want to quantify it.
Which seems odd for such an easy-to-quantify commodity.
How much energy must be "transferred" for the bullet to be effective?

I wont quantify precisely how much , but I know for fact that less energy transfer can prove more effective.
ie; a solid that does the work/task required of it and exits ,vs, a soft with the same energy on impact
that then fails to do the work/task required, but still spends all its energy coming to a stop in the animal.

Starman -

You are correct.

For a bullet to be effective (kill something quickly) it has to disrupt vital function. A bullet that expends all its energy blowing up in a shoulder may or may not disrupt vital function. A bullet with less energy that destroys the heart certainly does.

And that is where people like smokinrope go wrong. A bullet's energy defines the MAXIMUM energy if can transfer to a target, doing work in the process. What it does NOT define is how much energy will ACTUALLY be transferred to the target or in what time period; if or how much the bullet will expand; or whether it becomes a blunt mushroom, a shrapnel cloud or a shank with rotating petals that combines both blunt-force with cutting action as the petals rotate.

In other words, the energy of a bullet does not predict the efficiency with which or time frame in which it will transfer some or all of that energy to a target. What can be said is that for two identical bullets with the same mass but different velocities (i.e. different energy levels), and all other factors being equal, the bullet with the greater energy has greater POTENTIAL to do damage.

But since it is "such an easy-to-quantify commodity", smokinrope should let us know how much velocity is needed for a bullet to be effective. He won't provide it because he cannot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

But since it is "such an easy-to-quantify commodity", smokinrope should let us know how much velocity is needed for a bullet to be effective. He won't provide it because he cannot.

LOL, I said KE is easy to quantify. As far as the velocity needed for a bullet to be effective, it depends on the bullet. I thought that much was obvious, but I suppose things aren't obvious when you have your head up your ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL, I said KE is easy to quantify. As far as the velocity needed for a bullet to be effective, it depends on the bullet. I thought that much was obvious, but I suppose things aren't obvious when you have your head up your ass.

Velocity is easy to quantify - even easier than KE.

But you say "... it depends on the bullet." In other words, velocity alone tells you nothing, as I've stated from the start.

If that is not correct, just tell us how much velocity is needed for a bullet to be effective?

Give us a table...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/01/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Look it up yourself. Every bullet manufacturer has the data.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look it up yourself. Every bullet manufacturer has the data.

Not true. Not a one of them does.

All the manufacturer velocities are tied to specific bullets, which means a specific construction, mass (or range of masses), etc. Which means KE or at least a range of KE is known.

No one says "Irrespective of any other factors, velocity 'X' is enough to ensure a bullet will be effective."

Nobody knows what velocity 'X' is except you.

Please enlighten us.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All the manufacturer velocities are tied to specific bullets........

No sh** Sherlock. That's why I said "it depends on the bullet."

Are you really that dense?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Obviously he is...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

As I said in the beginning- Dorky engineers and math obsessed people are the ones that wax on and on about "energy". Not that there aren't some great engineers, there are, and I definitely need the math nerds because I'm not figuring out external ballistics without them.... wink

However, it's ALWAYS those two groups that wax on and on about energy, and math, and equations and try non stop to justify their bs. In the end, we still have to shoot the bullets at different impact velocities into tissue simulate and correlate that with live tissue results to know what the bullet will do.

None of their equations give us any info, and is a huge waste of time, money, and resources.

Shoot bullets into properly calibrated tissue simulate. Measure. Done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ahhh, so it depends on energy. Got it.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.