Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bet the poor horse would love to tell his side of the story.

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
We got 50,000 wild ones running around our state. I see 20-40 wild horses every day where I live. A scourge, public nuisance, safety hazard and ecological disaster. Known of 2 people in last year to die by horse/car collision. phugging BLM.

The BLM would LOVE to be rid of them. Blame congress for this fiasco.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It's amazing how something so big can seem to be invisible until it's often too late. I've come up on moose in the dark many times and thankfully have never tangled with one.

Yeah I have had to lock up the binders coming up on horses in the dark early morning twice, and that is expecting to see them any second. Then suddenly, they are there!

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Driving from Steamboat Springs to Craig early one morning during elk season I had a huge bull elk and 15 or so cows cross the road right in front of me. It was quite the rodeo avoiding hiting one of them. I did not have to change underwear, but it was close LOL.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We got 50,000 wild ones running around our state. I see 20-40 wild horses every day where I live. A scourge, public nuisance, safety hazard and ecological disaster. Known of 2 people in last year to die by horse/car collision. phugging BLM.

OK. Phugging Government. Anyone not making decisions based on science. And, for my knowledge, what was the legislation congress enacted to stop the BLM from doing their job?

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A friend drove his VW bug under a black bear and was killed... a lot of years ago...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I hear they shoot the livestock owners in Idaho...

I used that in the cop question thread.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh, the irony!

Some gal down in Kasilof started a "give moose a brake" campaign - i.e. slow down, especially at night. I was working swing shift the first night I heard it on the radio and thought it an excellent idea, since I was usually on the road going 25 miles home about 2 a.m., prime moose time. So I did 45 instead of 55-60 on the way home.

100 yards from the turnoff the main highway (2 miles from the house), a cow moose came out of the deep ditch on the right, crossed the road, did not like the even deeper ditch over there, came back into the middle of my lane and turned straight away. Even tho I was on the binders, she still wasn't fast enough, and we were both out of maneuvering room and time. Our combined speed was probably no more than 25 or so, but it broke her back leg or hip and caved in the whole front end of the 150.

With a growing family, I needed more vehicle anyway. Fortunately a trooper came over the hill not 2 minutes later, dispatched the moose, and gave me a ride home. I have missed others by mere inches to 2 or 3 feet.

A few years later, just down the road, someone's horse was exploded - literally- all over the road by a loaded 18 wheeler, which wound up off the left side of the road, wedged nicely between two spruce - not wedged tightly enough to tree damage the cab, just tightly enough the driver had to go out the window.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This particular sack of bones appears to be a rescue horse. This happened right in front of the driveway of a place that takes them in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Oh, the irony!

Some gal down in Kasilof started a "give moose a brake" campaign - i.e. slow down, especially at night. I was working swing shift the first night I heard it on the radio and thought it an excellent idea, since I was usually on the road going 25 miles home about 2 a.m., prime moose time. So I did 45 instead of 55-60 on the way home.

100 yards from the turnoff the main highway (2 miles from the house), a cow moose came out of the deep ditch on the right, crossed the road, did not like the even deeper ditch over there, came back into the middle of my lane and turned straight away. Even tho I was on the binders, she still wasn't fast enough, and we were both out of maneuvering room and time. Our combined speed was probably no more than 25 or so, but it broke her back leg or hip and caved in the whole front end of the 150.

With a growing family, I needed more vehicle anyway. Fortunately a trooper came over the hill not 2 minutes later, dispatched the moose, and gave me a ride home. I have missed others by mere inches to 2 or 3 feet.

A few years later, just down the road, someone's horse was exploded - literally- all over the road by a loaded 18 wheeler, which wound up off the left side of the road, wedged nicely between two spruce - not wedged tightly enough to tree damage the cab, just tightly enough the driver had to go out the window.

If you were going our normal speed you would have been home when the moose came on to the road.

Last edited by Ringman; 09/01/17.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by las

If you were going our normal speed you would have been home when the moose came on to the road.

Well, that one anyway!

A few weeks ago, I was cruising up the Parks Highway in the gloaming of moose:30 and on high alert. Fortunately, the critter who bolted out of the uncropped, budget victim of a state in crisis, road ditch wasn't a long-legged moose, but a more agile brown bear. The right headlight pasted it's beam squarely on him before he turned to run alongside as we whizzed past at 65 mph. I didn't have time to get on the brakes and swerving seemed ill-advised at that speed. Son who was 'sleeping' in the right seat evidently saw it all through closed eye lids judging from the expletives which spewed hence.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I can speak in tongues... too

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah Ringman, I thought of that!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

OK. Phugging Government. Anyone not making decisions based on science. And, for my knowledge, what was the legislation congress enacted to stop the BLM from doing their job?

I believe you're thinking of the Wild Horse and Burro protection act of IIRC 1972. It was shoved down our throat by a bunch of little old ladies in tennis shoes who along with Wild horse Annie who got hundreds if not thousands of kids to write their reps in the House and Senate. The bill got past considering the mustangs and mules to be endangered and historical species. I lived in Winnemucca at the time and can remember how pizzed off people were, me included.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes a good bumper to get rid of a moose when hit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
This is exactly why I drive below the speed limit when I leave the house before sunrise and I drive with the expectation that I'll encounter livestock/wildlife and I have. The scariest was a very foggy morning on a two-lane blacktop and I ran up on a large black angus in the middle of my lane, fortunately I was only going about 30-mph and stopped in time to avoid it.

This happened to me years ago when a very expensive and very black Shriner's horse got loose on our blacktop road about midnight. I also stopped in time, then went and woke up the caretaker.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I hit a horse once but was driving a Ford Falcon Wagon and the damage wasn't that bad, so I was lucky.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The scariest was a very foggy morning on a two-lane blacktop and I ran up on a large black angus in the middle of my lane, fortunately I was only going about 30-mph and stopped in time to avoid it.

+1, I was going hunting about 5:30 AM on a very dark morning and met a black angus steer in the middle of the road,
was fortunate and got stopped in time. Not many things are better camouflaged than a black animal on a dark night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Route to the office passes through some wintering pastures. On foggy AM a rig took out an Angus, and the driver made a call to the owner telling him some animals were out. His crew came rushing to the scene to get things rounded up and in their haste took out two more cows.

One of my coworkers is a bit famous for hard driving. One evening he ended up high centered after taking out a Hereford bull. He should have known better, as it was a well known open range area with pasture to the west and water east of the highway.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/02/17.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I still worked full time on the Medic Response truck in my area, I had a call for 2 folks who had hit a very large domestic hog in a 90's Ford Explorer. This was one of those "He just wonders around our yard and farm" type hogs. I'm no expert, but several hundred pounds. Had to wait for the fire department and we had to cut both occupants out of the vehicle. Both got flown to the trauma center in Pittsburgh. Hog was standing on the yard watching us the whole time. Had marks on his side from the bumper/grill. Lived several more years just roaming around that yard.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,662
Posts18,474,682
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.