Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'll be in Boulder for a few days this month. The only day I have to hit the park is Sunday September 17th. I'm hoping to get some good video and pictures of elk rutting. With just one day to explore can anyone share some SPECIFIC spots or roads to try? Thanks.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can do the entire park in one day. You'll find Elk.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Forget the park. You will likely see more elk on the golf course in Estes Park.

All kidding aside, try Moraine park early in the day or near sunset. There is usually a good sized herd in there. Look for Moraine campground to find the area. Sprague lake is a great spot to find a moose walking around in the water (You can wade across the entire lake). West Horseshoe park is another good place to catch elk bugling and sparring. During the heat of the day, drive up to the top of Trail ridge road. There is a wide alpine area near the top that generally holds a few hundred head.
Enjoy your visit.

If you get to Estes early enough there is a cinnamon roll maker that opens at 7 am, usually sold out by about 8 or 9. They are just outside the northern entrance to the park. 920 US-34 BUS, Estes Park, CO 80517. Well worth the early start.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good advice thus far. Not sure where you're from, but altitude sickness is a real thing, and the park is over 14k' ASL.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by okie john
Good advice thus far. Not sure where you're from, but altitude sickness is a real thing, and the park is over 14k' ASL.

Okie John

Ignorance is a real thing too.

The park starts on the outskirts of Estes Park.... which is under 8,000 feet.

You can drive Trail Ridge at 11,500'.... but "the park is over 14k" is pure dipshittery.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a good place to start....
[Linked Image]

If you are in Estes for one day you will be able to see plenty of elk. They are everywhere. You could make a wildlife documentary in the McDonald's parking lot. Moraine park is a great place to see them as well on the west side of the park near the Continental Divide.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are so many elk that they've talked seriously about importing wolves to thin them out. Last I heard, they've retained some small bit of sanity and haven't done it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the intel. Just what I was after.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks. I camp for 9 days every year at 10,000 feet. Appreciate the heads up.

Bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Go in the North entrance thru Estes Park. That road will take you to Horseshoe Park. Usually a big herd there. .After that, continue to the top of the hill,turn left at the T intersection and that will take you back down close to Beaver Meadows .When you get to the bottom land,take the right that will take you along the north edge of meadow towards the stables.Then take a left before the stables Come back out, go further down the road and take the next right, turn right again,that will take you along the south side of the meadow.

Those two are the biggest gatherings usually of elk herds in the rut.

Expect crowds of really stupid people and you need to be there before 1st light. by 9-10 am,they are back in the timber.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Poppy's Pizza. In Estes. Enough Said.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Okie John

You can drive Trail Ridge at 11,500'.... but "the park is over 14k" is pure dipshittery.

Good catch. I should have said, "The Visitor's Center in this park where I nearly blacked out is at 14k' ASL."

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 09/03/17.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Go in the North entrance thru Estes Park. That road will take you to Horseshoe Park. Usually a big herd there. .After that, continue to the top of the hill,turn left at the T intersection and that will take you back down close to Beaver Meadows .When you get to the bottom land,take the right that will take you along the north edge of meadow towards the stables.Then take a left before the stables Come back out, go further down the road and take the next right, turn right again,that will take you along the south side of the meadow.

Those two are the biggest gatherings usually of elk herds in the rut.

Expect crowds of really stupid people and you need to be there before 1st light. by 9-10 am,they are back in the timber.

Thanks. Just what I needed! I'm driving down from SD. My daughter is flying down from Seattle. We're going to a concert Saturday night for her birthday. I'm hoping to make an early loop and be back to the hotel by 10:00-11:00 to spend the rest of the day together. Thinking if I can be out of the hotel parking lot by 5:00 Sunday morning, that should work.

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Okie John

Good catch. I should have said, "The Visitor's Center in this park where I nearly blacked out is at 14k' ASL."

Okie John

I think you need to invest in a new altimeter. Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park is the only peak over 14,000'. Its highest point is 14,255' high and it has a sub-peak, Southeast Longs, which is 14,060' high. There is not a Visitor's Center on top of either of these peaks, There is also no road access to Longs Peak, nor are there any roads near it.

Trail Ridge Road is the highest road in the Park, and it tops out at 12,183'.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.