Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by double tap
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It would be nice if we could get LEO to answer the simple question of, "Do you consider the 4th amendment of the constitution as an impediment to conducting your work, or an essential right that trumps the added effort for you to show probable cause and get a judge to grant you a warrant"

To me that's the gold standard of good cop / bad cop. I'd venture to say if we could use that litmus test, issues of comply or be tazed, cops that never back down when challenged, etc., would for the most part go away as if by magic.

That's not difficult to answer at all. I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and that document, as well as each amendment therein, contains individual rights that are absolutely essential to each and every member in society. The extra time and effort to obtain a search warrant has never been an impediment to doing my job...

The added bonus, if I've had a warrant signed by a judge, it generally saves a lot of time later dealing with various motions and hearings in court regarding the validity of a search.

Chris

Let's give a hypothetical that maybe isn't as cut and dry.

You and your partner have been investigating a suspected drug dealer. He has a few priors, so you know he's a real scum ball.

You've had him under surveillance for a few weeks and have been following him to an house that's been converted into an apartment and suspect that's his stash house. You don't know exactly what apartment he's renting, but get a warrant guessing he's in apartment #2. You follow him into the common area of the apartment that has a locked door with a no trespassing sign and didn't knock or announce. You see he goes into apartment #5. Instead of having the warrant updated to reflect the proper apartment number, you execute the warrant on apartment #5 and find drugs stashed in the apartment.

During the trial when the defense attorney asks why you followed him into the common area when the sign said no trespassing, your partner says that he thinks that sign doesn't apply to law enforcement.

The judge is also sworn to uphold the constitution, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with the officers executing the warrant on the wrong apartment, nor that fact that they ignored a no trespass sign without knocking an announcing was an issue.

You can say the drug dealer got what he deserved, another scum bag is off the street. But at what price?

BTW, this wasn't a hypothetical and there were other 4th amendment transgressions such as taking a cell phone from someone who wasn't under arrest, with no warrant, searching through that cell phone to get information that was used to get the search warrant. Again the judge couldn't be trifled with such matters.

I'm sure some out there will conveniently label me as a cop hater, leftist etc. I've never been arrested, never been hassled by a cop, and hold cops in high regard for the tremendous challenges and dangers they face performing their job. I simply consider the Constitution and Bill of Rights as one of the finest documents written by man and one worth holding everyone who is sworn to protect up to that high standard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actual % numbers....hmmm dont know , but I have experienced enough to know that they do little to maintain my confidence and trust in them.

the double standards, the dishonesty ,the poor manner of approach, the presumptuous attitude, failure to follow proper procedures,
lack of knowledge of the actual laws, etc

what makes it so much worse is the sheer number of police that are nonchalantly complicit with officers who are like the above.

Originally Posted by Harry M

If you don't realize the thin blue line is as real as the sun rising in the east then indeed the system has corrupted you. .

,.... corrupt scam public employee unions breeds that attitude in spades.

that about sums it up....unions by nature hold other parties to ransom.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Please bear with me and help me to understand this scenario;
You and your partner have been investigating a suspected drug dealer. He has a few priors, so you know he's a real scum ball.

You've had him under surveillance for a few weeks and have been following him to an house that's been converted into an apartment and suspect that's his stash house. You don't know exactly what apartment he's renting, but get a warrant guessing he's in apartment #2. I don't know how they could have gotten a warrant if they did not know, and stating in the Probable Cause Statement that he lived in #2 would be sworn falsification, a crime and reason to dump the entire case. Plus, criminally charge the officer. He/She would never work as a cop again.

You follow him into the common area of the apartment that has a locked door with a no trespassing sign and didn't knock or announce. How did the cop get into the locked door, following directly behind the suspect? You see he goes into apartment #5.

Instead of having the warrant updated to reflect the proper apartment number, you execute the warrant on apartment #5 and find drugs stashed in the apartment. Bad search & seizure. Direct violation of the Fourth Amendment requirement for search warrant(s).

During the trial when the defense attorney asks why you followed him into the common area when the sign said no trespassing, your partner says that he thinks that sign doesn't apply to law enforcement. Again, how did they get into the common area to see the suspect go into #5?

The judge is also sworn to uphold the constitution, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with the officers executing the warrant on the wrong apartment, nor that fact that they ignored a no trespass sign without knocking an announcing was an issue. Based on your information, the judge is absolutely wrong.

You can say the drug dealer got what he deserved, another scum bag is off the street. But at what price?

BTW, this wasn't a hypothetical and there were other 4th amendment transgressions such as taking a cell phone from someone who wasn't under arrest, with no warrant, searching through that cell phone to get information that was used to get the search warrant. Again, bad search & seizure. The entire case would be thrown out as "Fruit Of The Poisonous Tree".

Again the judge couldn't be trifled with such matters. The judge needs to go away.

I'm sure some out there will conveniently label me as a cop hater, leftist etc. I've never been arrested, never been hassled by a cop, and hold cops in high regard for the tremendous challenges and dangers they face performing their job. I simply consider the Constitution and Bill of Rights as one of the finest documents written by man and one worth holding everyone who is sworn to protect up to that high standard. I fully agree and have done my job exactly to those standards as do most cops. Ed

I taught Search & Seizure, Drug Investigations, and Writing Search Warrants for the Anchorage Police Academy. Applying for a search warrant is no big deal. BTW, I have never been denied a search warrant because I put enough probable cause in the P.C. Statement that it was damned near proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Fourth Amendment is right up near the top of the Bill of Rights for a reason. It is THAT important.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
99% of Cops are good till ya fu-k with em, not listening to them is fu-kin with em!

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

You've had him under surveillance for a few weeks and have been following him to an house that's been converted into an apartment and suspect that's his stash house. You don't know exactly what apartment he's renting, but get a warrant guessing he's in apartment #2. I don't know where this incident occurred, but speaking for myself, I have never worked in a judicial jurisdiction where I could have ever gotten a warrant based upon a "guess," and I have sure as hell never sworn to an affidavit for a search warrant containing information I knew was not factual! You follow him into the common area of the apartment that has a locked door with a no trespassing sign and didn't knock or announce. Not to be difficult, but if there is a locked door, how did I get in? Did the suspect let me in not knowing I'm a cop? Did another resident allow me in? Is it a "common area" where guests, utility workers, and members of the general public are expected to go when seeking to meet or contact a resident in the building? Did I break the door down (which will destroy my whole case right there...)? You see he goes into apartment #5. Instead of having the warrant updated to reflect the proper apartment number, you execute the warrant on apartment #5 and find drugs stashed in the apartment. Again, not to be difficult, but why wouldn't I simply call the judge and update the information on the warrant? It won't take more than a few minutes, and preserves the integrity of my case.

During the trial when the defense attorney asks why you followed him into the common area when the sign said no trespassing, your partner says that he thinks that sign doesn't apply to law enforcement. Well, under certain circumstances, he might be right. In the description given, I don't have enough information to know if one of those circumstances exist in this case or not.

The judge is also sworn to uphold the constitution, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with the officers executing the warrant on the wrong apartment, nor that fact that they ignored a no trespass sign without knocking an announcing was an issue. Really poor judge. He must enjoy getting overturned on appeal!

You can say the drug dealer got what he deserved, another scum bag is off the street. But at what price? Not worth my integrity unless I do it correctly.

BTW, this wasn't a hypothetical and there were other 4th amendment transgressions such as taking a cell phone from someone who wasn't under arrest, with no warrant, searching through that cell phone to get information that was used to get the search warrant. Again the judge couldn't be trifled with such matters.

I'm sure some out there will conveniently label me as a cop hater, leftist etc. I've never been arrested, never been hassled by a cop, and hold cops in high regard for the tremendous challenges and dangers they face performing their job. I simply consider the Constitution and Bill of Rights as one of the finest documents written by man and one worth holding everyone who is sworn to protect up to that high standard. Nothing you've said here would cause me to label you as a cop hater, and as far as the Constitution, I agree.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tracy, that is a very powerful video. Thank you for posting it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up believing that Cops are our friends. I still hold that belief, despite repeatedly seeing quite a few who are nothing but jerks, to put it mildly.
I've seen officers go way out of their way to help people out many times, but I've also seen quite a few who are Cartman with a badge, thinking since they're cops, we must all bow and "respect their authoritah".

LEOs have got to start self policing their ranks. Lotta bad press these days, with officers standing by watching antifa assault people in Charlottesville and other incidents. Being told to stand down does not relieve you of a duty. I understand there's no law requiring you to stop an assault, but it seems to me that your pride in yourself and your work would be more important than being disciplined for stepping in. I was informed as a soldier that you've got to follow orders. I was also informed that following illegal orders does not clear you of wrongdoing.

Another story just surfaced of a cop manhandling and arresting an ER nurse who refused to give him a blood test on a patient without a court order. I'm sure we've all seen that video of the Baltimore cop with the kid on a skateboard.

I think LEOs need to do a little better job of policing their own ranks. Crap like the last two are not to be tolerated in a free country.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only a few incidents that were more than "most cops are azzholes" should be proof enough that there is less police corruption than ever before. Anytime the police engage in any sort of use of force there are a dozen people with camera phones hoping to catch that pig brutalizing that nice mugger, plus the car cams and now the body cams, and all you can come up with is a few examples out of the tens of thousands of contacts made each day? If this is your case that cops are getting worse you have a really weak case.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500
99% of Cops are good till ya fu-k with em, not listening to them is fu-kin with em!

Exactly what is wrong....

My entire life I have held LEO in the highest regards. I still want to. It's hard to...
I knew this would touch some wrong, much like asking a Catholic priest about child molestation. Bad juju....

If nothing else I have seen who the true professionals of their trade are. I truly admire you. OTOH The ones toting the line have shown their colors. That is fine as it shows the ratio even among this fine group of souls. Mission accomplished.

Thanks to the good guys who informed us and educated those who will listen. Shame on the ones who think their authority gives them higher ground.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by White_Bear
One who sees a fellow officer speeding and looks the other way is is of weak conscience and is undeserving to have such authority.

If that's the standard then they're all corrupt because I've never seen a cop that didn't speed with impunity, none of them pay any attention to speed limits.

The navy base in the town 40 miles from my house has a counter drug academy that trains regional police in drug tactics. The school lets out on a Friday afternoon so the cops are driving home then. Not long ago on the interstate near my house I was passed by a Louisiana cop car headed south doing well over 100 mph, I'm pretty sure he was going home from the counter drug academy training. He certainly wasn't in pursuit of someone because he wasn't even in his own state, but he felt he could drive 100 mph plus on a Mississippi interstate because he knew he'd never be cited for it, professional courtesy.

Is that corruption? I think it is but I'd guess most police officers wouldn't consider it such because they virtually all do it and are never held accountable. It's just become accepted as a perk of the job to be able to ignore traffic laws.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never had a bad experience with a LEO. I've gotten tickets, sure, but I earned them. I've also experienced discretion, for which I was grateful. When my son was little I would walk him up to a LEO (like when we were at the fair or other event) and tell him if he needed help find someone like this guy, it's his job to keep you safe.

The problem isn't the number of bad LEOs, it's the impact they have and the publicity they get. The impact is tremendous and the publicity is disproportionate.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Police I have dealt with have been good guys.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Originally Posted by gunner500

Exactly what is wrong....

My entire life I have held LEO in the highest regards. I still want to. It's hard to...
I knew this would touch some wrong, much like asking a Catholic priest about child molestation. Bad juju....

If nothing else I have seen who the true professionals of their trade are. I truly admire you. OTOH The ones toting the line have shown their colors. That is fine as it shows the ratio even among this fine group of souls. Mission accomplished.

Thanks to the good guys who informed us and educated those who will listen. Shame on the ones who think their authority gives them higher ground.

I can agree with all that WB. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It would be nice if we could get LEO to answer the simple question of, "Do you consider the 4th amendment of the constitution as an impediment to conducting your work, or an essential right that trumps the added effort for you to show probable cause and get a judge to grant you a warrant"

To me that's the gold standard of good cop / bad cop. I'd venture to say if we could use that litmus test, issues of comply or be tazed, cops that never back down when challenged, etc., would for the most part go away as if by magic.

That's not difficult to answer at all. I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and that document, as well as each amendment therein, contains individual rights that are absolutely essential to each and every member in society. The extra time and effort to obtain a search warrant has never been an impediment to doing my job...

The added bonus, if I've had a warrant signed by a judge, it generally saves a lot of time later dealing with various motions and hearings in court regarding the validity of a search.

Chris

You've had him under surveillance for a few weeks and have been following him to an house that's been converted into an apartment and suspect that's his stash house. You don't know exactly what apartment he's renting, but get a warrant guessing he's in apartment #2. You follow him into the common area of the apartment that has a locked door with a no trespassing sign and didn't knock or announce. You see he goes into apartment #5. Instead of having the warrant updated to reflect the proper apartment number, you execute the warrant on apartment #5 and find drugs stashed in the apartment.

During the trial when the defense attorney asks why you followed him into the common area when the sign said no trespassing, your partner says that he thinks that sign doesn't apply to law enforcement.

The judge is also sworn to uphold the constitution, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with the officers executing the warrant on the wrong apartment, nor that fact that they ignored a no trespass sign without knocking an announcing was an issue.

I'm sure some out there will conveniently label me as a cop hater, leftist etc. I've never been arrested, never been hassled by a cop, and hold cops in high regard for the tremendous challenges and dangers they face performing their job. I simply consider the Constitution and Bill of Rights as one of the finest documents written by man and one worth holding everyone who is sworn to protect up to that high standard.

I don't know what year this took place but cell phones (like any new technology) were a bit of an unguided gray area for some time.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You've had him under surveillance for a few weeks and have been following him to an house that's been converted into an apartment and suspect that's his stash house. You don't know exactly what apartment he's renting, but get a warrant guessing he's in apartment #2. I don't know where this incident occurred, but speaking for myself, I have never worked in a judicial jurisdiction where I could have ever gotten a warrant based upon a "guess," and I have sure as hell never sworn to an affidavit for a search warrant containing information I knew was not factual! You follow him into the common area of the apartment that has a locked door with a no trespassing sign and didn't knock or announce. Not to be difficult, but if there is a locked door, how did I get in? Did the suspect let me in not knowing I'm a cop? Did another resident allow me in? Is it a "common area" where guests, utility workers, and members of the general public are expected to go when seeking to meet or contact a resident in the building? Did I break the door down (which will destroy my whole case right there...)? You see he goes into apartment #5. Instead of having the warrant updated to reflect the proper apartment number, you execute the warrant on apartment #5 and find drugs stashed in the apartment. Again, not to be difficult, but why wouldn't I simply call the judge and update the information on the warrant? It won't take more than a few minutes, and preserves the integrity of my case.

During the trial when the defense attorney asks why you followed him into the common area when the sign said no trespassing, your partner says that he thinks that sign doesn't apply to law enforcement. Well, under certain circumstances, he might be right. In the description given, I don't have enough information to know if one of those circumstances exist in this case or not.

The judge is also sworn to uphold the constitution, but he doesn't seem to have an issue with the officers executing the warrant on the wrong apartment, nor that fact that they ignored a no trespass sign without knocking an announcing was an issue. Really poor judge. He must enjoy getting overturned on appeal!

You can say the drug dealer got what he deserved, another scum bag is off the street. But at what price? Not worth my integrity unless I do it correctly.

I'm sure some out there will conveniently label me as a cop hater, leftist etc. I've never been arrested, never been hassled by a cop, and hold cops in high regard for the tremendous challenges and dangers they face performing their job. I simply consider the Constitution and Bill of Rights as one of the finest documents written by man and one worth holding everyone who is sworn to protect up to that high standard. Nothing you've said here would cause me to label you as a cop hater, and as far as the Constitution, I agree.

This was in Anchorage, when the suspect unlocked the door to the common area the troopers followed the suspect before the door closed.

I don't believe the case has been appealed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Chris

I don't know what year this took place but cell phones (like any new technology) were a bit of an unguided gray area for some time.

Dave

This occurred three years ago.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Harry M
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I expressed my opinion. I don't work in New York City and never will. How things are there, I couldn't say. I'm amazed that you would consider me corrupt because someone else had a different view. That's OK, I don't value your opinion either, Harry.

If you don't realize the thin blue line is as real as the sun rising in the east then indeed the system has corrupted you. And your answer smacks of the smarmy contempt public employees have for the general public these days. Fake and corrupt scam public employee unions breeds that attitude in spades.

This [bleep] goes all the way to the top.

Just look at what the FBI has done to protect Hillsry and what the DOJ is doing to protect the FBI(Comey).

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Bad Cops" is pretty generic .

What about all the hundreds of cops that tossed their oath out the window, stood down and allowed rioters to beat people over the head with bike locks, destroy private and public property and disrupt otherwise peaceful protesting. All because their BOSS told them to.

We are not talking about a few bad apples or a percentage, we are talking the entire department from the bottom to the top.

Are theses cops good cops or bad cops?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess is since cops are people the 20-60-20 rules apply

20%. Salt of the earth, we are lucky to have them

60%. Middle of the road, good days, bad days, decent enough people just doing a sometimes very hard job

Bottom 20%. Brrrr honeycomb, they're mainly why these threads get started. Some slip thru the recruiting process and disguise their lust for power well enough to get a badge and gun. They're azzhole cops and azzhole people, most of us have run into one of them and it sucks

What amazes me is that more of the 60% don't fall into the bottom 20%

I swear I don't know how these folks do what they do day after day. I don't have the temperament for it. I'm grateful for the 80% that do it well.

I find the 20/60/20 rule to be pretty accurate any time you're discussing groups of people

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
My guess is since cops are people the 20-60-20 rules apply

20%. Salt of the earth, we are lucky to have them

60%. Middle of the road, good days, bad days, decent enough people just doing a sometimes very hard job

Bottom 20%. Brrrr honeycomb, they're mainly why these threads get started. Some slip thru the recruiting process and disguise their lust for power well enough to get a badge and gun. They're azzhole cops and azzhole people, most of us have run into one of them and it sucks

What amazes me is that more of the 60% don't fall into the bottom 20%

I swear I don't know how these folks do what they do day after day. I don't have the temperament for it. I'm grateful for the 80% that do it well.

I find the 20/60/20 rule to be pretty accurate any time you're discussing groups of people

What you have to understand is that nobody is either good or bad. The same guy who will risk his life to save a kid from a house fire might look the other way when the chief's son gets caught with an underage girl.The same guy that would give you CPR and save your life in a wreck might tune you up if he had to run you down during a meth raid. Cops are just people and it would take a real saint to be all good all the time.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.