-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
This is my first post here. I have been visiting for a while and this seems like a great bunch of folks. Here are my questions. Just received a new Savage 110 package gun in .308 for Christmas from fiance. What a gal! It will be used to hunt deer here in Kentucky. First, I'd like to address the trigger issue on the gun and get it to break nice. Should I have it adjusted or should replace with an aftermarket trigger? Second, would it be worth upgrading the Simmons scope on it (I need one on my muzzleloader anyways) if so, what are the big advantages. BTW, I'm looking at the Leupold VX-II and others under $200. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by KY_Hunter; 01/02/03.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The instructions on how to lighten the trigger are on the internet; however, if you have access to a gunsmith I'd recommend letting them do it. The Savage trigger is very easy to adjust to an unsafe weight causing it to "slam fire." So, I guess I'd recommend you spend the $40-$60 and have someone else do it instead of risking an accident.

Also, quality optics are always a plus. In the $200 range you will be hard pressed to get a VXII as they are about $250+. You might also want to check out the 2-7 Nikon Monarch (NOT BUCKMASTERS) as it can be had for about $230. It's considerably brighter than the Leupold VXII is (and actually brigter than a VariX III). Another choice of scope in that price range would be a Burris Fullfield II in 3x9x40. check out Bear Basin or SWFA for good prices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are good replacement triggers avaliable for your Savage now. I would recommend that route. You can still buy a 3x9 Leupold for just under $200.00 Those used to be called VX-2 but are now labeled VX-1. They do not have adjustable objectives. The trigger and scope that came on your 110 are the weakest components in that package. You would do well to upgrade both. Good hunting.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'll probably let a gunsmith do the work. Not really familiar with any gunsmith type work.

PRP Offline
Hey KY Hunter - what part of KY are you in? I grew up on Lake Cumberland. I'm overseas with the military right now - be back at Campbell in the late summer.

I'd definitely upgrade the scope - you can probably find a deal on a used one depending on where you're at.

Hope the new rifle serves you well.

PRP

IC B2

K
OP Offline
K
I am from Louisville. Sent you a PM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KY hunter: I recently acquired a Savage 110 package gun. My trigger does not have any of the adjustments that came on my other Savages, no screws at all. I suggest replacing it. Does it have like 3 screws on the trigger parts? If not, replace it, don't fuss with it. I put a Sharp Shooter trigger in my other Savage; it is wonderful. The Simmons that comes on those guns are extremely bottom line. They serve the purpose for folks who are not enthusiasts. Your plan to replace it is a good one. Might I suggest you give the Swift line of scopes a thought. Good luck with that Savage. Welcome to the board. 4fun

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
savages are great! ungly, but good shooters. kinda wish i hadnt sold mine. Kinda like an ugly girlfriend. She'll work for ya, but you dont want your friends to see her...

Sean
ack Offline
I got one of the Savage 110 package deals like you're talking about a month and a half or so ago, and just got a new Leupold VX-II to put on it. I figure I'll leave it on there while I hunt with it, and if I upgrade to another hunting rifle I'll transfer the Leupold and buy something a little less expensive to sit on the Savage. I really like the VX-II, it's 259 from SWFA.com which seems to be a very good site for scopes.

IC B3

K
OP Offline
K
Yeah I agree, the Savage isn't the prettiest gun ever made. The looks of a gun is the least of worries. When I am hunting I am out to enjoy the outdoors, spend time with my hunting partners and harvest an animal, if I am lucky. I want a gun that shoots where I aim it. Not too worriied about making a fashion statement. I am glad that I was given the wood stock, which I prefer over the synth but either way I'd be happy.

Last edited by KY_Hunter; 01/03/03.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 41 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.