Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yep. I learned recently right here on these forums that any bullet you can catch is a POS failure, even when it's shooter error into a buffalo.

I gained that "knowledge" as well. Some people make killing stuff awful hard.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have not had similar experience with the AB's.I shoot a 130 gr ,6.5 out of my sportorized Swede at about 2800fps. I use it only on pronghorn. I get a lot of ruined torn up meat. If I hit a spine shot, I get a 4" hole blown thru. If I catch a small part of the shoulder, I lose the whole shoulder.Any bullets I do recover are over expanded and about like a flat piece of shrapnel.
They sure enough kill pronghorn though. and are quite accurate out of the Swede

The ones I have were bought about when the AB's first came out. I bought another box year ago or so and I"m trying to see if there is any difference.
Perhaps someone can shed some light on the older ones.

As for partitions,I don't have too much experience.I bought several boxes of 180 gr partitions from SPS for $13/box two years ago and I have only killed two elk with them.They are as accurate in my .06 as Sierra Game Kings. The ones I have recovered are text book mushrooms. Prior to the partitions, I have mostly killed elk with 220gr RN

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by super T
But you didn't mention accuracy or shooting at long range.

Yeah, not so good for the Partition.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stand alone trophies, positively.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by super T
But you didn't mention accuracy or shooting at long range.

Yeah, not so good for the Partition.

Opening my Noz #6 ballistics tables..........

Actually........a 150 NPt leaving the muzzle of a 270W at 3000fps will have less drop than say, a 6.5 Creedmor shooting a 140 NAB at 2800fps (and that's giving the Creed some credit velocity wise). Quite a bit less drop it appears.

I've never thought of the NPt as being particularly accurate, NBT's and NAB's generally will produce smaller groups, but for hunting the NPt's shoot as well as needed--even at longish ranges.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
saddlesore,

Have posted this before, in fact just posted again a few days ago in a Ballistic Tip/AccuBond thread, but here goes again:

AccuBonds were just as tough as they are today from the beginning, since Nosler did plenty of testing not just in "media" but big game animals before their introduction. I know this because of using plenty of AccuBonds immediately after they were introduced. All acted very similarly to Partitions on big game up to elk size, exactly the way they were designed to perform.

But demand became so high that a couple years after their introduction, one guy on the AccuBond assembly line tried to speed his stage up, apparently think he'd get a raise, or at least a gold star. Unfortunately, his speed-up technique resulted in bullets that acted like varmint bullets. Nosler regularly tests samples of their finished bullets to make sure they're shooting accurately and expanding consistently, but a few got shipped before the problem was found. Nosler sent out a recall, but some had already gotten into the hands of reloaders.

THOSE were the bullets that resulted in poor penetration. It did NOT happen with the first bullets, and the problem was quickly solved. I've personally never encountered such AccuBonds, and I've not only shot various AB's up to 9.3mm 250's into animals up to well over 1000 pounds, but have seen plenty of hunting partners use them as well, not just in North America but Africa,including 260-grain .375's that worked fine on Cape buffalo.

But they worked as designed from the very beginning. The problem was NOT in the design but, very briefly, in production.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.... one guy on the AccuBond assembly line tried to speed his stage up, apparently think he'd get a raise, or at least a gold star. Unfortunately, his speed-up technique resulted in bullets that acted like varmint bullets. .

Wow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some 300gr AB for my 375 H&H I need to load up one of these and give them a try. Anyhow I use either one I like them both, but also like the TSX as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JB, any intel on the LR NAB's? They've been dissed for non-Accubond terminal performance.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know which bullets were affected, but I can tell you based on the batch of .25 caliber accubonds I picked up a couple years ago that I will absolutely use 100 grain Ballistic Tips on deer before I shoot another one with the 110 grain Accubond out of my .257 Roberts. 2 shots, 2 deer, in 2 minutes ... and it was **bad** inside. When a supposedly bonded core bullet grenades inside the chest cavity of a deer and fails to exit, something is **wrong**.

Back to 120 grain partitions.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I shot an Oryx, on the white sands missile range hunt, a couple years ago with a 338 rum running a 225 gr accubond at just over 3000 fps. All set up for a long range shot......sure enough, I kill my bull at 67 yards. He was almost perfectly broadside, and with the vitals a little further forward than our native animals, I held for dead center in the front leg about 1/3 up into the body. I remember thinking this was gonna be a test for how tough that bullet is. One shot kill, and he "snow-plowed" on his nose for about 30 yds. I recovered the bullet under the skin on the opposite side....touching the rear side of the leg bone. It weighed 138 gr, and had a perfect mushroom of .550-.600" in diameter, depending on where you measure. Couldn't believe anything was left, let alone looking like textbook expansion, and retaining 61% of its weight. The partitions I've recovered under similar conditions (close with fast velocities, on bull elk) had little to no mushroom left.....all the front lead missing and unraveled strands of copper trailing back. Both performed fine, killing the animals clean, but the accubond gives me more of what I want in a hunting bullet. The accubonds also have the edge at long range and are usually a little more accurate. I wouldn't ever feel handicapped hunting with a partition, but just prefer the accubond.

Andy3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just my usual luck.I bought 100 of then and could not figure out why they acted so wierd.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the partition, will hold together and out penetrate every time, especially on bone/joint.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
JB, any intel on the LR NAB's? They've been dissed for non-Accubond terminal performance.

Ive shot both into milk jugs along with the ELD-x, all 3 acted very similair... 6.5x55 at 2800-2900 muzzle to 100 yards. All 3 penetrated into the 4th milk jug and were caught. All had were standard mushrooms and averaged in the 60% weight retention.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's partly because milk jugs are a relatively poor bullet-test medium. I know a lot of people that use them, but that's mostly because water and used milk jugs are cheap, but there are far better types material for comparing performance on animals.

Another often-used test medium that's a pretty poor indicator of on-game performance is water-soaked newspaper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Montana mule deer B tags have always made a good test medium, and the test medium could be eaten.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mule deer does, whitetail does, feral pigs--or feral goats, sheep or whatever. To have some idea of how bullets act on animals, then they need to be shot into animals.

This is exactly what most bullet companies do anymore, after they've made a bunch of tests on appropriate "media" to make sure they're in the general ball park. Here's a big hint, however: I do not know of ANY big game bullet manufacturer that does pre-animal testing on milk jugs full of water.

Have known of some in the past that used wet newspaper. This was because it's almost impossible to get bullets to come apart in wet newspaper, so most cup-and-cores come out perfectly mushroomed, ready for an advertisement photo demonstrating their perfect performance. But big game animals are not a series of water jugs, or made of wet newspaper.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I test bullets out on DRY print. That will really tell a true story.

I go to the local Goodwill Store and buy old books to use them for test media.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, I use stacks of dry newspaper, after pre-testing in one of a couple kinds of ballistic media. Dry paper will provide a better idea of what happens to bullets when they hit bone heavier than ribs.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have never found a partition or accubond in a deer. I guess they failed! Found a partition in a pig by accident, I saw a lump under the skin. Hit her in hindquarters, bullet in shoulder. 7 mag at 80 yards.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.