Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Copied from elsewhere, but has anyone adopted the practice of turret conditioning as described below?

"I recommend that you condition both turrets and then repeat a box test at the range. Conditioning is done in the following way:

Find the mechanical center of both turrets. That's the midpoint of the total adjustment range.

Start with the elevation turret.

Rotate the turret clockwise to the limit, then counterclockwise to the opposite limit. Repeat nine more times. Return the turret to the mechanical center.

Then repeat the same process with the windage turret.

Then repeat the previous cycle (elevation turret ten times, windage turret ten times) nine more times. Then you will have exercised both turrets 100 times.

I've used this conditioning process to cure scope tracking problems. If the scope has turret knobs, I always condition the turrets when the scope is new. I perform the same process for the power ring - it solves POA drift problems with the zoom mechanism in the erector tube.

The conditioning process takes a while and can create fatigue in your hand. I wear a leather glove and perform the process in groups of 20-30 cycles, then rest for a few hours.

I read about this process in an article on this website. I tried it and found it to work."

I'm willing to try that, between the vx6's and vx5hd I have, let's see if that "fixes" Leupold.

Thanks for the info Kingston

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had some problems with the consistency of tracking on a few of my Leupold scopes meaning that the 1/4 MOA click adjustments were not as accurate as I would have liked. So in some cases it took a bit longer to get the desired zero. Generally they've held zero well once it is set. I do rotate the dials to the max each way a couple of times before I mount my scopes and I think that helps with the consistency of adjustments.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by kingston
Copied from elsewhere, but has anyone adopted the practice of turret conditioning as described below?

"I recommend that you condition both turrets and then repeat a box test at the range. Conditioning is done in the following way:

Find the mechanical center of both turrets. That's the midpoint of the total adjustment range.

Start with the elevation turret.

Rotate the turret clockwise to the limit, then counterclockwise to the opposite limit. Repeat nine more times. Return the turret to the mechanical center.

Then repeat the same process with the windage turret.

Then repeat the previous cycle (elevation turret ten times, windage turret ten times) nine more times. Then you will have exercised both turrets 100 times.

I've used this conditioning process to cure scope tracking problems. If the scope has turret knobs, I always condition the turrets when the scope is new. I perform the same process for the power ring - it solves POA drift problems with the zoom mechanism in the erector tube.

The conditioning process takes a while and can create fatigue in your hand. I wear a leather glove and perform the process in groups of 20-30 cycles, then rest for a few hours.

I read about this process in an article on this website. I tried it and found it to work."

No, that does not fix Leupolds.

If you actually want/need your scope to adjust correctly and hold zero, get a SWFA, NF, or Bushnell LRHS.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

No, that does not fix Leupolds.

If you actually want/need your scope to adjust correctly and hold zero, get a SWFA, NF, or Bushnell LRHS.

What would fix leupolds ? What are the differences in construction that make the SWFA, Nightforce and Bushnell adjust and hold correctly ? It's all well and good that those tactical scopes hold zero and track well but frankly I don't want one of the big, heavy, ugly fuggers on my hunting rifles and I don't need or like the reticles they put in them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had probably 20 over the years since 1980, including many different Vari X, VX3's, 2's, and Vx6's. I am a very casual twister, an up until about 5 years ago was strictly set and forget. I've had to send one VX3 back for tracking problems and that's it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I hope they get their act together. I love everything about Leupold scopes other than their reliability. I particularly like the size, weight, flexible eye relief and performance of the 6x42. But, I got tired of having to use a box of ammo to sight one in because I never new when the adjustments would take nor how much movement I would get and got tired of not knowing when a scope would go wacko and start shooting six feet diameter groups. I sold most of mine a few years ago.

This^^^^^^^

For years I just thought this is the way it goes trying to sight in my rifle. Then I bought scopes that track and respond to adjustment. Now it takes maybe three shots to get dialed in.
Cant tell you how much ammo I have wasted with Leupolds.

I would trade them all off except for the fact they are light weight scopes with clean lines that match classic rifles perfectly and the warranty is good.

My hope is someone a Leupold reads these threads and they get up to speed, I would be a loyal customer again.

Same here. Last Leupold I bought was some AR scope on Midway. It was not cheap either. I want to say $400. Mounted on a new gun and the gun shot 18" groups. Put open sights back on and the gun and shot 1" groups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2318475

I haven't yet located the Norman E. Johnson article referenced.

I also found reference to another of his articles published in the Winter 2012 issue of Varmint Hunter.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've had probably 20 over the years since 1980, including many different Vari X, VX3's, 2's, and Vx6's. I am a very casual twister, an up until about 5 years ago was strictly set and forget. I've had to send one VX3 back for tracking problems and that's it.

I am not a twister and have never had a problem with a multitude of Leupold's holding zero. In fact, of late, I have been pounding a VX-III 1.5x5x on my relatively light 416 Rem Mag for an upcoming hunt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you will see many people say their leupolds are just fine, to them they probably are. most guns leupolds sit on are lucky to see 10 rounds fired through them in a year, if that even. A leupold is a decent set and forget it type scope. It will probably hold zero once its sited in and you don't touch the turrets. another thing I don't like about leupold is their lense coatings tend to have alot of light flare, meaning they don't work well when used with a weapon light if your shooting at night or they pick up stray light when the sun is at bad angles. So even as a set and forget it scope, I prefer the jap glass.

its funny this thread reminded me I still do actually have one leupold left, a 2.5 fixed, its going to get sold ASAP.

The leupold that finally ruined me was a mark 4, a scope that comes with target turrets and is marketed as a military scope. The gun that scope was on shot great at the range but when I dialed I was shocked at how much missing I was doing. I noticed I had to adjust the zero pretty much everytime I checked it, usually about 1.5 MOA off, typically being off both elevation and windage. finally I missed a slam dunk target at less than 200 yards. rechecked zero a few days later and I was over 2MOA off. The scope has been sent already back to leupold for repair during this process. since adding a nightforce to that rifle, its never ever needed its zero adjusted in nearly 6 years. I shoot tighter groups than I have ever shot with that gun.

at the same time I had a leupold 3.5-10 vx3 CDS that seemed to never have a problem. oh well leupold is the biggest salesman for nightforce because once you have dicked with crappy leupolds, missed animals, used up gas, bullets and brass, trial and error, and all manner of whatever including convincing your wife you need time off to hunt or do whatever all to have scope problems. buy nightforce cray once!

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I own a variety of scopes and a variety of Leupold scopes. They tend to be the brand I turn to when I purchase because of their features and I'm not a twister, turner, or a beater. While I shoot each rifle more than 10 times a year, I may not shoot each more than 200-300 and don't own any hard kickers. I own M8, VariX-II, VariX-III, and VX-II models . The three VX-II were purchased within 6 months of each other and all three have been back to Leupold for zero retention issues. The 1x4 has been back twice, once for zero retention and once for a bad seal.

Not a Leupold basher by any stretch of the imagination but there is something definitely wrong with the newer models (especially the mid-range) based on my sample of 3.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Leupold 6x42's are a favorite of mine because of the weight and how easy they are to get behind. I still have a couple with M1's that have been repeatable, but I'm also dialing at limited range and the bases used with these don't have inclination...which I think accentuates problems in a Leupold. I say repeatable, they are repeatable, but the amount they adjust may not be exactly what it should be according to measurements, so it has to be shot at the adjustment to verify....but as long as it is repeatable I'm ok with it for the limited ranges I'm dialing. For hunting scopes I've moved to 6x42's with the LRD so things are set and forget, simple and reliable once the zero is set and you hash out the dots to distance.

For dialing I'm really liking the 6x42 SS's (and 1 10x42) from SWFA. Best bang for the $ out there for dialing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JDK,
I have not had the same experiences that you have had with Leupold scopes. Apparently there are good ones and there are bad ones. Sorry to hear you have had issues as it is undoubtedly very frustrating. There are 5 Leupold scopes on rifles (or they have been on rifles) here that are shot fairly regularly. Two VX6's one in a 3x18 and one it a 2 x 12, one VX5 in a 3x15, and two VX3's in 3.5x10 w/CDS turrets.
The 3x18 is on a 280 Ackley ULA with over 700 rounds logged and as recently as a week ago last Sunday it was on Allegheny Mountain here in WV banging plates from 460 to 785 yards. Shot 23 rounds missing 5 times. 4 misses at 555 yards on a 12x14 plate (couldn't get the wind hold right - 15 degree down into a shadow) and 1 miss off of my pack on a 4" square plate at 525 (just down the right side of the plate) The 785 yard plate was 16 MOA elevation (2 shots/2 impacts)
I have had similar experiences with all of the other Leupold scopes mentioned on other rifles shooting in the bottom on my farm at 12' square AR 500 plates out to 800 yards. Additionally I have a close friend that is about to achieve a Super 20 on both Sheep and Goats who uses a VX6 on the rifle he hunts with.. The gun is on it's second Kreiger barrel shooting the same scope. Many rounds.
Are there scopes available with better tracking? No doubt about it. NF, S&B, Kahles, Vortex Razor, Zeiss Hensholdt, and Tangent come to mind however they should be better as they are far more expensive. Although they have not given me any trouble the VX3 CDS scopes are a rather inexpensive scope to be dialing IMO.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JDK,
I have not had the same experiences that you have had with Leupold scopes. Apparently there are good ones and there are bad ones. Sorry to hear you have had issues as it is undoubtedly very frustrating. There are 5 Leupold scopes on rifles (or they have been on rifles) here that are shot fairly regularly. Two VX6's one in a 3x18 and one it a 2 x 12, one VX5 in a 3x15, and two VX3's in 3.5x10 w/CDS turrets.
The 3x18 is on a 280 Ackley ULA with over 700 rounds logged and as recently as a week ago last Sunday it was on Allegheny Mountain here in WV banging plates from 460 to 785 yards. Shot 23 rounds missing 5 times. 4 misses at 555 yards on a 12x14 plate (couldn't get the wind hold right - 15 degree down into a shadow) and 1 miss off of my pack on a 4" square plate at 525 (just down the right side of the plate) The 785 yard plate was 16 MOA elevation (2 shots/2 impacts)
I have had similar experiences with all of the other Leupold scopes mentioned on other rifles shooting in the bottom on my farm at 12' square AR 500 plates out to 800 yards. Additionally I have a close friend that is about to achieve a Super 20 on both Sheep and Goats who uses a VX6 on the rifle he hunts with.. The gun is on it's second Kreiger barrel shooting the same scope. Many rounds.
Are there scopes available with better tracking? No doubt about it. NF, S&B, Kahles, Vortex Razor, Zeiss Hensholdt, and Tangent come to mind however they should be better as they are far more expensive. Although they have not given me any trouble the VX3 CDS scopes are a rather inexpensive scope to be dialing IMO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never figured out people griping about a heavy scope, such as NF, SWFA and the Bushnell. They are heavy, because they are built like tanks. I have carried my rifles-which are not light, as I have given up on light rifles-a good many miles in the mountains wearing the SWFA scopes and the weight does not bother me at all. If your life depends on a couple extra pounds in the field, then lose some weight and accomplish the same thing. My heavy rifles sure are easier to keep on target, than the lighter ones that I have used.

Everybody has their own preferences, but there is a trade off at some point when chasing lightweight anything, whether rifles, or scopes.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who says weight doesn't matter or lose a few pounds has not spent time in the mountains. Extra rifle weight is an unbalanced weight if carried on the shoulder or in the hand, much different than balanced pack weight.

The losing a few pounds makes alot of assumptions, many mountain hunters do not carry extra body weight.

Also a true mountain hunter carries enough gear to spend the night on the mountain if necessary and the tools and ability to break an animal down for the pack out.

So every ounce saved is important.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If your life depends on a couple extra pounds in the field, then lose some weight and accomplish the same thing.

Old folks who are in pretty good shape and don't have a few pounds to loose can't just accomplish what you are suggesting. I carry the rifle in my hands. Over the last ten years my arms have lost about 20% of their size. And I'm quite sure the bone is about the same size. I switched from an eleven pound rifle to a seven pound rifle. Like the Alka Seltzer used to say, "Oh what a relief it is!"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It doesn't matter how big/little, strong/weak, old/young, etc/etc you are. Lighter is ALWAYS less weight to carry.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd love to be able to find a pair of 15pound boots. Most definitely will be more stable when it comes time to take the shot.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a set of old mountaineering boots that come close! I'll see if i can dig them out for you :-)
Irfubar nailed it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes he did. Usually wise to pay attention to how the players play.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.