Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yesterday a stepson's family joined us for the day- good food, conversation, company.
With them were 2 extra kids, who've been with them just a month. Boy's 6, girl's 4, half-siblings.
At least 2 more older ones exist, again with different sires. The dam is a druggie, in & out of jail.
These little ones are pretty damaged- boy can't write his name, is doing a 2nd kindergarten year.
Closest thing to family was his last stint with a grandmother, who was lying dead when the caseworker
dropped in. Kids came in, he announced, "I'm a foster kid!". Little sis is a pocket-sized cutie, mentally
pretty far behind,but child service says greatly improved over the last month.
Now, my stepson's family has faced several tough years- weird neurosarcoidosis is sidelining him from
a good job, where he'd advanced pretty far. Brain biopsies, experimental treatments, partial paralysis
at times, etc. But since their oldest boy's in college, and their oldest girl's taking college courses, finishing
highschool, and working, that leaves only 2 of their own kids at home, so they wanted to help some others,
too. Took on these, and welcome the challenge/rewards. Kids played in the creek, ate lots of goodies, looked
at all the interesting stuff we've got, played with some of my instruments, asked lots of questions. "Mom and Dad"
are loving and loved. Lincoln may have done some wrong, but also got some stuff pretty right- like, say,
"There may be times when you cannot find help, but there is never a time when you cannot give it."
After about an hour, the "foster kid" came up to me and asked, "are you Grandpa?"
I had to say, "Well, I'm one of 'em, for sure". What I thought was a bit stronger, though.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hacklewrap01: Best of luck to the stepson and his very gracious and unselfish attempt to save the little ones.
I wish them (and you) well in this very humanitarian endeavor!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VarmintGuy said it well. I wish them good luck too and may GOD be with them.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks, gents. The Lord IS with them, and has been, and will be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everytime I think I am pretty good there is someone here on the 'Fire who really shows me what "good" means. Kudos, Sir.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I post here only very rarely but this post hits so very close to home I feel I must. I have been and am currently becoming again in an almost identical situation . About nine years ago, a lady with whom I had been aquainted stopped in for a visit. accompanied by three little girls aged seven, six and two. She left to run to the store and came back three and one half years later.

I got birth certificates for all three and enrolled the two oldest in an elementary school near their last known address. Raised them like they were my own for three years. We were known as Mr. Cary and his little black family throughout the ghetto. Lord knows there was a lot of love in this little house but all things must end. One day their mother showed up with a couple of thugs (why?) and took them away from me.

About three weeks ago the youngest, now nine, came back for a two day visit. I was amazed at how much she remembered about me and our time together. Before she left, while we were alone, she hugged me and said when ever she had a happy memory, she saw my face. She said she had loved me all her life and would love me for the rest of her life. Then she was gone.

Never doubt the impact you're having on those young lives. You're doing God's work. The rewards are slow in coming but they will come. Bless you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.