Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I have been to MT a few times. Not sure how you know my routes. Just one of those guys I guess.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ringman,

I personally know a couple of people who've been mauled by grizzlies, and yes, they described rolling around with the bear on top of them, because they were trying to protect their their head and back of their neck, which is what grizzlies often go for when mauling people--just as the bear did in this mauling.

One common advice for people being mauled by grizzlies is to play dead, but that's hard to do when they're biting your skull, or dragging you around by a leg.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was on a continent divide, they call it Grizzly, near Leadore Idaho, I was hyper hot call calling, the call sounds a lot like a dying rabbit but not quite.

I called in a cinnamon bear, had only a bow. No spray....in my brilliance I decided to see how close I could get...was about 22 yards. It never gave me shot but a frontal stare. It's nose did not look dished like I have seen grizzly photo graphs. But this bear was WAY big IMO. Finally I decided this bear most likely would rather eat me than vice versa so I tried to ease out.

When I finally turned my back to it, I heard a woof, woof, woof, I about [bleep] my self! But it bolted away from me did not charge.

Been collecting Ruger Super Blackhawk s ever since.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Deerstalker: Thanks

Last edited by bobmn; 09/07/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You mean when a grizzly and human are rolling around, connected by the bear's teeth around the human's head?

HOLD STILL JOHN!

GLOCK!GLOCK!GLOCK!GLOCK!

John? John?....

Travis

Good shít.
Laffin.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I almost choked on that one myself!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunt in Grizzly country every year.
I am asked what pepper spray I recommend all the time. I seldom buy any so I don't endorse any brand.

I make my own.
Lightly dredge the tip of the bullet through cayenne pepper before you load them.

It's a MUCH better delivery system then a spray can!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for those that want to really understand the dynamics of a bear charge with out getting in the ring with one i would suggest going to the wreaking yard in the worst town around where they have a couple Rottweiler's guarding.
wait till dark and crawl over the fence make some noise and experience the rush.
during said rush practice your fast draw and precision placement shooting. might be close to the actual thing.
then again maybe not.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ringman,

I personally know a couple of people who've been mauled by grizzlies, and yes, they described rolling around with the bear on top of them, because they were trying to protect their their head and back of their neck, which is what grizzlies often go for when mauling people--just as the bear did in this mauling.

One common advice for people being mauled by grizzlies is to play dead, but that's hard to do when they're biting your skull, or dragging you around by a leg.

I was thinking of a guy who was rolling the bear over. If the bear is on top of you buddy you can certainly aim above ground level miss him.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Slider1
You are allowed to carry a side arm in Montana while Archery Hunting. You just are not allowed to dispatch an animal with it. But may use it ANYTIME for self defense.If you have a CWP it can be out if sight.

So can shoot a person with it, but must pepper spray on bears?

Don't worry about it, stupid. You'll never venture this far regardless.

Dave

It only makes sense that you can shoot people but only spray bears. The world has way too many humans and not nearly enough bears. If you people would just read more you would understand. At least me and Deflave have it figured out.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
GuyM: A few years ago I had hiked in to this mountain range (access roads were still gated) on a spring Bear Hunt and from my perch high on a ridge I watched a large Grizzly chase after a cow and calf Elk from just a couple hundred yards distant.
The speed of that Grizzly viewed in person astounded (and scared!) me.
The Grizzly chased the Elk into a stand of trees and I did not see the outcome of this chase.
I had my new Tikka in 338 Federal along and the first thought through my mind once the initial shock passed was "is this enough gun"?
Thankfully the fellows both survived.
As the crow flies this incident occurred about 45 miles from my home!
Use caution when afield and blood is around.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Ringman,

I was thinking of a guy who was rolling the bear over. If the bear is on top of you buddy you can certainly aim above ground level miss him.

All good in theory but you have no idea where that bullet is going to exit once inside the animal.

And their ain't no human capable of rolling a grizzly over. LMAO

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/07/17.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
GuyM: A few years ago I had hiked in to this mountain range (access roads were still gated) on a spring Bear Hunt and from my perch high on a ridge I watched a large Grizzly chase after a cow and calf Elk from just a couple hundred yards distant.
The speed of that Grizzly viewed in person astounded (and scared!) me.
The Grizzly chased the Elk into a stand of trees and I did not see the outcome of this chase.
I had my new Tikka in 338 Federal along and the first thought through my mind once the initial shock passed was "is this enough gun"?
Thankfully the fellows both survived.
As the crow flies this incident occurred about 45 miles from my home!
Use caution when afield and blood is around.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yup. I've bumped into the big Alaskan brown bears several times while fly fishing the silver salmon run near Cordova, AK. Fortunately they're normally more interested in salmon, than in people.

Also have backpacked and hunted near Yellowstone and in other grizzly habitat in the west. Seeing them, or even their tracks, where I'm hunting always heightens my awareness. Gotta be careful around those things.

I understand about wondering about your rifle as well. About ten years ago, hunting mule deer in Wyoming, I wasn't finding much down low, in sage country, so I headed up into the mountains, closer to Yellowstone. Found mule deer, took one, then there was the 3 mile hike out with a pack full of boned-out venison on my back, and grizzly tracks on the trail. Sow and cub tracks! And I was carrying my .25-06 deer rifle, loaded with 115 gr Berger VLD bullets... Perfect for mule deer, but I was pretty sure that rifle & ammo were not a good choice for grizzly.

Took a nice arctic grizzly earlier this year, in Alaska. Quite a hunt.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Ringman,

All good in theory but you have no idea where that bullet is going to exit once inside the animal.

And their ain't no human capable of rolling a grizzly over. LMAO

My statement was meant to show the foolishness of a guy rolling around with a grizzly. That's why I said I would sure like to meet the man who can roll around with a grizzly mauling him.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine had a grizzly come to him while he was coyote hunting Montana. He heard it before he saw it so he had his rifle ready. A .22-250. When the bear was about five feet away he fired. A very large white streak appeared right above one of its eyes. The bear fell. Got up. Shook its head and mauled a nearby small tree before it left. As long as the bear's attention was not directed toward him he was fine with it.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine had a grizzly come to him while he was coyote hunting Montana. He heard it before he saw it so he had his rifle ready. A .22-250. When the bear was about five feet away he fired. A very large white streak appeared right above one of its eyes. The bear fell. Got up. Shook its head and mauled a nearby small tree before it left. As long as the bear's attention was not directed toward him he was fine with it.

did he go directly and buy lotto tickets?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My statement was meant to show the foolishness of a guy rolling around with a grizzly. That's why I said I would sure like to meet the man who can roll around with a grizzly mauling him.

Yeah... I don't think they do it on purpose, Mr. Ringman. It sorta just happens.

Did you hit yourself with a hammer this morning?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yeah... I don't think they do it on purpose, Mr. Ringman. It sorta just happens.

Dave

Dave

TFF!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Dave

Stella up the snout!

laughing

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thought I was the only guy left that still snorted beer.

WINNING!

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.