Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
I believe The FOX News reporter Steve Herrigan on the ground just summed it up best. 5.6M Floridians have been asked to leave their homes with 2 only routes out. And the unknown has been the challenge. Granted the smart got out early but many remained to assist with the needs of others.

With the shortage of fuel and shelter up the road versus knowing what's coming remaining folks are scared to stay and equally scared to leave. What a dilemma to be faced with.

My town just sent me (text, cell, and house phone) a notice that there's a voluntary evacuation order for my area. It's only mandatory, however, for low lying areas and for those who live in trailer homes and the like. My concrete block house is right on the top of a hill, so flooding shouldn't be an issue. Only risk is wind damage. Hoping the eye misses me by a good bit.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
Every degree west it moves before turning due North and making landfall means more land subject to the NE quadrant, which is the most destructive.

Ed
Exactly. The way it's going now, I'm getting that quadrant. Fortunately, though, I'm up north enough that it's projected to be only a cat one hurricane by the time it gets here. Bad enough, though, if I get the worst quadrant or, worse, the eye.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Knowing the fuel, traffic, and accommodations situation....if they told you to leave right now would you?

The waiting has to be the worst part. Especially, if they do come through last minute and declare evac!! I guess there's always the shelters.

Last edited by byc; 09/08/17.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New track shows the eye passing over my place Sunday. This thing is going to be a two day event according to our local forcasters.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Prayers sent to all of you guys in Florida

\Stay safe.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my guess, and wrong, was that it would turn north prior to it's travel so far westerly. it was a good guess, but didn't work out. right now, it's headed north soon enough, and that'll cause a ton of old trees in atlanta to likely fall into the power lines, or worse.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by funshooter
Prayers sent to all of you guys in Florida

\Stay safe.

Yeah for sure. I have never been in this situation so I cannot even imagine.

Godspeed!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
Knowing the fuel, traffic, and accommodations situation....if they told you to leave right now would you? The waiting has to be the worst part. Especially, if they do come through last minute and declare evac!!

The major shelter here is only about three miles away. It's a big archery center, where Olympic hopefuls train. It's a huge facility. My house would have to be destroyed before I'd go there, and maybe not even then.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, pretty sure I would stay home versus a shelter. Getting in the car and heading out late is a whole other decision making process. Especially, with the fuel and accommodations unknown.

One thing I would be is better prepared than the next guy. Always!! Even if I have to leave on my own. Heck I would have developed my plan well over a week ago.

Last edited by byc; 09/08/17.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Irma. I fart in her general direction.

but if you DO need to leave your place, call me Dan. I have room here in Gainesville

Thanks, appreciate that offer Sam, will get in touch if we get the itch to move.

I'm tickled to death that half our Yankees have gone north. The other half left in June or thereabouts.

I notice that some men have no pride. I hope it is not contagious.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to my brother in Ft Myers tonight. What with the slow crawl on I-75, he couldn't make it out of Florida without running out of gas. And even gas stations in Destin and Ft Walton Beach were out of gas yesterday.....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's Father is in Fort Myers, he said "we're expecting a little wind, and a fair amount of rain...we're going to ride it out, I don't want to leave because of the 3 cats"

The eye has shifted west, it's supposed to center punch Fort Myers and Naples...What a dumb fugg

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Talked to my brother in Ft Myers tonight. What with the slow crawl on I-75, he couldn't make it out of Florida without running out of gas. And even gas stations in Destin and Ft Walton Beach were out of gas yesterday.....

Yep. Even up here in northern Florida, yesterday I had to drive a half hour before I found a gas station with any gas, and had to wait on a long line to get to a pump. Tempers were flaring, too. Folks trying to cut into lines, and stuff. Terrible how people get in these situations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will this be the end of the Key deer?

Wasn't aware the majority of them are at the far tip of the keys. Supposedly only a few hundred left.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Exactly, my point. And just now FOX reported several hotels in Daytona are telling their guests they must leave by 11AM for parts unknown. Given the fuel and unavailable accommodations further up the road these folks have to be freaking out.

Figure if this were me I would drive as far North as I could and just park at a 7-11 or Walmart parking lot. Hopefully, far enough out of harms way to be protected. From there I would likely never go back to FL. laugh

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Terrible how people get in these situations.

Stressful situations always show a persons "True Colors".

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes Sir....they certainly do!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc

Exactly, my point. And just now FOX reported several hotels in Daytona are telling their guests they must leave by 11AM for parts unknown. Given the fuel and unavailable accommodations further up the road these folks have to be freaking out.

Figure if this were me I would drive as far North as I could and just park at a 7-11 or Walmart parking lot. Hopefully, far enough out of harms way to be protected. From there I would likely never go back to FL. laugh

my gmc has a 500 mile range when full, could always fill up the 14, 5 gal. gas jugs from our farm tank and if felt like it could fill up a 55 gal drum or the auxillary 28 gal. boat fuel tank and put them in the back. Freeze dried, water jugs, tents, bags, pads, stoves and a lil hardware.

Where ya wanna go momma?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup that's me Randy. I also have a 7x14 duel tandem trailer that's usually stocked to the max and would carry me and other family members for a good 3 months.

As stated earlier, a 7-11, WalMart parking lot or campground is about all I need. But for many all they have is what they can carry to the car in one trip with no clue as to where they're headed.

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I ain't convinced it's still not going to nudge a few more ticks west, I wouldn't put off the panhandle as being the mainland hit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.