Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Stick and string, for BEARS?

Hell, I do not even use stick and string for FISH...

Frags are my Huckleberry.

So my Alaska buddy is not exactly a tender flower of nature who has also enjoyed a robust life ( as in Silver Star ) but when doing Super Cub reconning and we see Mr. Bear we move out smartly to another AO.

Even if hunting them, we really wish we had 155's in direct support...

Duty, Honor, Country
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
So ok, I am doing push-ups till Dave gets tired...

Duty, Honor, Country
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by kellory
I know a guy who hunted bear with a bow, and I told him to his face , he was nuts. But I learned a couple off facts. The arrows used for deer and the arrows used for bear must have different tips. Deer razorheads have a minimum cutting width of @1&1/2" and are intended for max blood letting. Not so with bear, a s they have a razorheads just larger than the shaft of the arrow. About the size of the tip of your little finger. They are designed for max penetration, so they can reach something vital. Deer tipped arrows would more than likely not penetrate enough to kill anytime soon. Then you have a wounded and verdy pissed bear on hand. Not good, not good at all.
He also told me, on any guided hunt, he is back-stopped by the guide with a rifle.

[Linked Image]

Where do you get information like this?

Two main sources, a fellow bow hunter who actually does it, and the ODNR . Where do you get yours? Cracker jacks?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I know a guy who hunted bear with a bow, and I told him to his face , he was nuts. But I learned a couple off facts. The arrows used for deer and the arrows used for bear must have different tips. Deer razorheads have a minimum cutting width of @1&1/2" and are intended for max blood letting. Not so with bear, a s they have a razorheads just larger than the shaft of the arrow. About the size of the tip of your little finger. They are designed for max penetration, so they can reach something vital. Deer tipped arrows would more than likely not penetrate enough to kill anytime soon. Then you have a wounded and verdy pissed bear on hand. Not good, not good at all.
He also told me, on any guided hunt, he is back-stopped by the guide with a rifle.

[Linked Image]

Two main sources, a fellow bow hunter who actually does it, and the ODNR . Where do you get yours? Cracker jacks?

TFF!! laugh

Do you guys, including your buddy the bowhunter, do a lot of grizzly hunting in Ohio?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

TFF!! laugh

Do you guys, including your buddy the bowhunter, do a lot of grizzly hunting in Ohio?

No, I would not attempt it, nor could I afford the out of state hunts he makes. (It helps when daddy owns a major car dealership) he hunts all over the world. I keep it to a few local states, though I have invites for a few places I can't afford to go. Only bear encounter I've ever had, I went up a tree as quickly and as quietly as I could, and stayed there until I was sure it had no interest in me and had moved on. I was bow hunting, and knew I couldn't out run it. (That was 25-30years ago.) Certainly not something I would attempt with a bow.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And by the way, I said bears, not Grizzly bears . We don't have them here

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a Griz, but had that Oh Shlt moment when I was fencing. Following along a fence that dropped down across a slough. Got to the bottom and it was overgrown with brush. Little tunnel opening in the brush running alongside the fence. I get down on all fours and proceed to crawl through this tunnel. In the middle, ground was real soft, a bit wet, I look down and see as fresh of a cat track as I've ever seen. Simultaneously I about shlt my pants, hair stands on end, I look left, right, up, down, forward, back a few times. I have nothing but a pair of pliers on my hand. My mind goes in hyperdrive and I think wtf am I doing here? FMR, I scrambled my a$$ out of there pronto.

Never saw it. But it damn sure woke me the hell up at that moment.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
kingston,

Actually, it wouldn't totally surprise me to see somebody with cans of bear repellent on their hat.

When the stuff first started to really show up in Montana, especially in stores around Glacier and Yellowstone Parks, some people apparently believed it was used like bug repellent: You sprayed it anywhere you didn't want bears landing, like your clothes or your kids. Some even sprayed it on their backpacking tents, and pretty soon it became evident that bears (some bears anyway) liked the taste, because they came into camp and started licking the repellent-sprayed tents!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Current deer regs for Ohio require 3/4" min size, though I still have some of the older 1&1/2" broadheads with bleeders. I hated them, as I had issues with planing. But they were required. Current for Michigan is 7/8", and Indiana has no size requirements that I know of, but thier requirements are less than ours. I go to ODNR legal dept, each year before season and spend an hour or two discussing rules and rule changes, the reasons behind the rules, and new products that skirt the rules.
Bear tips are allowed smaller for max penetration from less drag through hide, fat, and muscle.

Last edited by kellory; 09/10/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Only bear encounter I've ever had, I went up a tree as quickly and as quietly as I could, and stayed there until I was sure it had no interest in me and had moved on. I was bow hunting, and knew I couldn't out run it.

You do know that black bears can climb trees, don't you?

And grizzlies are better at it than they are given credit for...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One time, after a mile hump out of my favorite steelhead creek, I stopped to piss. As I was standing there, fishing rod in one hand/dick in the other, I noticed the tree about 5 feet from me 'shaking'.

I looked up towards the top of the tree and said to myself 'Humm, 2 bear cubs'. Took another 1/2 second for me to say myself 'Stop pissing, start moving'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only bear encounter I've ever had, I went up a tree as quickly and as quietly as I could, and stayed there until I was sure it had no interest in me and had moved on. I was bow hunting, and knew I couldn't out run it.

ingwe;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the weekend's been a good one for you.

While we did have a sniff of rain yesterday the bush is still closed for us for the most part, so even though it's opening day for mulies, whitetails and elk, I'm doing chores around the place and hoping for it to cool down and rain some more.

Anyway, yes for sure it must be remembered that both species can climb trees - black bears - especially the teenage ones are incredibly fast climbers. Canuck grizzlies too have been known to climb trees and deaths have resulted after the fact.

While I know it's likely in bad taste, I can't help myself from posting this. I'm sure it's Canuck too since we're not allowed to carry sidearms, so we have to brawl the bears "mano e clawo".... wink

All the best to you folks this fall ingwe and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kingston,

Actually, it wouldn't totally surprise me to see somebody with cans of bear repellent on their hat.

When the stuff first started to really show up in Montana, especially in stores around Glacier and Yellowstone Parks, some people apparently believed it was used like bug repellent: You sprayed it anywhere you didn't want bears landing, like your clothes or your kids. Some even sprayed it on their backpacking tents, and pretty soon it became evident that bears (some bears anyway) liked the taste, because they came into camp and started licking the repellent-sprayed tents!

Not for nothing, but the licking has got to be better than the biting. I'm reminded of Zerk, his Pomeranian, and a jar of crunchy Peter Pan.

For the record, my shït's patent pending, so don't even think about it. You can't just substitute a stocking watch cap and be in the clear, neither. The chinamen already tried that and we sued the Yen out of'em. My name is synonymous with safety in Giant Panda country.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know more about them now, than I knew then. It was a kinda primal thing, monkey returns to the trees. I just got as far out of sight as I could get.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only "Bear" broadheads I ever heard of in my life were Fred Bear razorheads. And they worked on all game as he so ably proved. Small diameter broadheads for bear is pure BS. Arrows penetrate like crazy and don't need the blades whittled away to drive deep. What they do need is a good cutting diameter to kill. You'll learn this the first time you shoot something with a field point.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One time, after a mile hump out of my favorite steelhead creek, I stopped to piss. As I was standing there, fishing rod in one hand/dick in the other, I noticed the tree about 5 feet from me 'shaking'.

I looked up towards the top of the tree and said to myself 'Humm, 2 bear cubs'. Took another 1/2 second for me to say myself 'Stop pissing, start moving'

Had one of those moments too Scott. I was actually looking for bear and caught a glimpse of brown in a bush that could be nothing else. Very carefully I snuck up and parted the branches of the bush with my .44 mag handgun, only to see a really cute Winnie the Pooh type cub sitting two feet away, looking cute. I thought that was really neat till it dawned on me he had a Mom...someplace close...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
The only "Bear" broadheads I ever heard of in my life were Fred Bear razorheads. And they worked on all game as he so ably proved. Small diameter broadheads for bear is pure BS. Arrows penetrate like crazy and don't need the blades whittled away to drive deep. What they do need is a good cutting diameter to kill. You'll learn this the first time you shoot something with a field point.

Never went looking for bear, but I've been hunting deer since I was a pre-teen. I started out with cedar shaft Bear brand glue on tips, with bleeders. I know them well. But as my poundage went up, they get harder to tune for true flight. As I said, I had an issue with planing, and stopped using them. Ohio raise the minimum poundage and the same arrows would no longer group well with the higher poundage.
The tips used by my bear hunter, are tiny, just a bit larger than the shaft.
As Fred Bear said himself, of his crosscut bleeder blades, sometimes the wound seals around the shaft, and the bleeders were to prevent that. He also said of his design, that nothing penetrated better than a 2 blades head design. (Translation, less drag)
Field points are fine for squirrels and rabbits, where I'm not shooting razorheads into dirt, but clearly not for large game. I've been bow hunting for more than 40 years.
Whether or not you've heard of smaller tips for the purpose, I couldn't care less, but he has a wide variety of mounted heads covering three walls of his garage. They must work. (I'll check my laptop, and see if I still have a few pics or not).

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Broadheads require cutting diameter to be effective. Otherwise we'd use Bodkin points which can penetrate most anything. It sounds like you are talking about expandable broadheads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Broadheads require cutting diameter to be effective. Otherwise we'd use Bodkin points which can penetrate most anything. It sounds like you are talking about expandable broadheads.

No, I'm not. I use them now, but i still have a few Bear broadheades, at least the screw in version. Bodkins are for breaching armor. High impact at surface. It was actually more effective to wound than to kill. Dead was dead, but wounded tied up at least 1-2 other fighters to get the wounded man to cover, and care.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
kingston,

You mean pandas don't like spicy Szechuan? Not surprising, since their standard diet is bland bamboo.

Let me know when your patent's approved, and I'll help publicize your anti-bear hat....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.