-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M&P has a thinner grip, easier trigger reach, more natural pointing grip angle for me and steel sights as standard. I can shoot Glocks just fine, but the M&P just naturally feels better in my hand and points better. I don't want a thumb safety but many folks do and you can get that on the M&P.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla
What is the weight? And don't gen 3 glocks still come with 3 magazines?

So what is the attraction of the S&W (other than their service policy)?

They supposedly have nicer trigger pulls and more ergonomic feel in the hand. They are also more stylish in appearance. Some prefer the Spartan appearance of the Glock, however, and don't mind the feel or the trigger, which is more than adequate right out of the box for anything but competitive sport applications, once learned.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
M&P has a thinner grip, easier trigger reach, more natural pointing grip angle for me and steel sights as standard. I can shoot Glocks just fine, but the M&P just naturally feels better in my hand and points better. I don't want a thumb safety but many folks do and you can get that on the M&P.

Coming with steel sights is both a pro and a con. Most people who shoot a lot have very specific preferences when it comes to sights, so paying for high quality steel sights on the gun form the factory doesn't make sense for them, since they are just going to be replaced. Everyone knows that when they buy a Glock with the plastic sights, they are buying what amount to place holders (that will actually work in a pinch) till you put what you want on there. If all you want are some sort of steel sights, however, and you don't particularly care about their characteristics, Glock will provide them at extra cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At extra cost... that's the thing. The Gock and M&P cost about the same around here except the Glock has plastic slot fillers for sights which are going to need replacing - at extra cost. The M&P steel sights are at least serviceable from the get go. I have replaced all the factory sights on my Glocks. I've replaced the sights on a couple M&P's but a couple of them still wear the factory steel sights and I'm fine with that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
At extra cost... that's the thing. The Gock and M&P cost about the same around here except the Glock has plastic slot fillers for sights which are going to need replacing - at extra cost.

That's because part of the price of a Glock is the name, and the rep that goes with it. S&W is a great name, too, but for striker fired police and military sidearms, Glock has the better name, so you pay a bit more.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At extra cost... that's the thing. The Gock and M&P cost about the same around here except the Glock has plastic slot fillers for sights which are going to need replacing - at extra cost. The M&P steel sights are at least serviceable from the get go. I have replaced all the factory sights on my Glocks. I've replaced the sights on a couple M&P's but a couple of them still wear the factory steel sights and I'm fine with that.

I've shot a G19 since 1995 and I never wanted to alter the rear sight. Steel sights on a Glock are meaningless.

Looks like the only thing the M&P has going for it is a slightly better trigger.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just picked up a gen 5 glock 19, the trigger is quite nice compared to the gen 4 it replaced.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter
Just picked up a gen 5 glock 19, the trigger is quite nice compared to the gen 4 it replaced.

I went to the local shop and compared the triggers between a Gen 5 and 4 19, and noticed a slight difference. Not sure why the 5 is deemed better. Just different. I guess I'd have to actually shoot them side by side to tell for sure.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter

I went to the local shop and compared the triggers between a Gen 5 and 4 19, and noticed a slight difference. Not sure why the 5 is deemed better. Just different. I guess I'd have to actually shoot them side by side to tell for sure.

Yep, It really didn't jump out at me either until put some rounds through it. Definitely the best stock glock trigger I've owned (this is number 5)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
At extra cost... that's the thing. The Gock and M&P cost about the same around here except the Glock has plastic slot fillers for sights which are going to need replacing - at extra cost.

That's because part of the price of a Glock is the name, and the rep that goes with it. S&W is a great name, too, but for striker fired police and military sidearms, Glock has the better name, so you pay a bit more.

If true, at this point in the striker fired plastic pistol game you're simply paying extra for marketing hype.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

I've shot a G19 since 1995 and I never wanted to alter the rear sight. Steel sights on a Glock are meaningless to me.

Looks like the only thing the M&P has going for it is a slightly better trigger.

Fixed it for you...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dla

I've shot a G19 since 1995 and I never wanted to alter the rear sight. Steel sights on a Glock are meaningless to me.

Fixed it for you...

The "to me" runs both ways. There is nothing about stock Glock sights that aren't at least serviceable. Nothing wrong with whatever you like, but also nothing wrong with the plastic stock sights. Shoot a M&P or a CZ or whatever you want,but you can't say, except in opinion only, that any of them are better than the Glock in any way.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Until you have to charge the gun by placing the sights on something like a 2x4. Maybe the plastic ones will hold up, maybe not.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by dla

Fixed it for you...

The "to me" runs both ways. There is nothing about stock Glock sights that aren't at least serviceable. Nothing wrong with whatever you like, but also nothing wrong with the plastic stock sights. Shoot a M&P or a CZ or whatever you want,but you can't say, except in opinion only, that any of them are better than the Glock in any way.

Write your own stuff feucktard - you didn't fix anything.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TWR
Until you have to charge the gun by placing the sights on something like a 2x4. Maybe the plastic ones will hold up, maybe not.

Tell me when they have failed. Tell me why you have to charge on a 2×4. Stupid bit of make-believe.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR

Tell me when they have failed. Tell me why you have to charge on a 2×4. Stupid bit of make-believe.

Yep.
My gun is pre charged.

You only need them on a 1911,and only then to clear the jam.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/11/17.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR

Actually I unloaded it twice with the sight on a 2x4 Saturday when I had 2 rounds get stuck partially in the chamber. Couldn't pull the slide back so I remembered the Trijicon HD's were setup for something like this and it worked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RH Clark,
You're right of course but I don't know many people given their "druthers" that would choose the plastic sights over a set of steel sights. All things equal.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
RH Clark,
You're right of course but I don't know many people given their "druthers" that would choose the plastic sights over a set of steel sights. All things equal.

You are likely correct in that assessment. I'll change mine to Big Dots but not because I don't want the Glock plastic but because I find the BD's faster. There are some others I like too as long as they aren't 3 dots. I can't deal with lining up dots in a hurry with my older eyes. They tend to try to blur on me. One dot on the front and blacked out rear is fine though.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/11/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
on the plastic rear sight, I take a razor knife and enlarge the rear slot until you can see the white insert in the channel. I like to see more light around the front sight for some reason. Guess I will file a metal glock sight when I get one. I cannot remember how many glocks I have had...more than 20 for sure, most have had plastic sights. I live in fear and trepidation that my next shot will throw the plastic sights off into never never land.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.